Home

M. Night Shyamlan

Posted By: Signore Sole Aumentante

M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 12:52 AM

Anyone like this director's work? He's made those films with twists... Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, most recently The Village, which comes out on DVD tomorrow. I enjoy his films.

I would rank them:
1. Signs
2. The Village
3. Unbreakable
4. The Sixth Sense
Posted By: AngelaMarie

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 01:35 AM

I've only seen the Sixth Sense, but would like to rent "Signs" maybe. The Sixth sense really freaked me out!
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 01:50 AM

This guy is one of the most overrated Directors in History. The Village was his best work, closely followed by Unbreakable. When you say that the Village is someone's best, it really gives an indication of thier skills, or lack thereof.
Posted By: DannyMontana

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 02:55 AM

I honestly thought Unbreakable was the most terrible movie I had ever seen, it was a waste of my damn time.

I thought The Sixth Sense was pretty decent, but it wasn't wonderful.

I haven't seen all of Signs but from what I've seen, it is really good.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 03:05 AM

I really enjoyed Signs and The Sixth Sense. I'm surprised a production company gave him the most money ever given for a screenplay for Signs when he was just getting over the Unbreakable bomb. Good thing Signs was good or he woulda been dead.

1. Signs
2. The Sixth Sense
3. The Village
4. Unbreakable

The Village was not scary wnough like Signs in my opinion.

His film Twists always have a problem though.

SPOILER***
The Sixth Sense: How could Bruce Willis have lived normally for so long dead like that?

Unbreakable: Again, how could it take so long for him to realize this? Not realistic at all.

Signs: Water? The aliens can't touch water, all that time scouting Earth, they never contacted water? 81% of the worlds surface? No dew on the fields of corn or anything????

The Village: How could the creature have been in the woods when Mr. Phonex went in unannounced? Unless they had "watches". But the noices and stuff like that would be very hard to reproduce then. This movie was the best at this though. Just not scary enough.

The Doc
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:

SPOILER***
The Sixth Sense: How could Bruce Willis have lived normally for so long dead like that?

Signs: Water? The aliens can't touch water, all that time scouting Earth, they never contacted water? 81% of the worlds surface? No dew on the fields of corn or anything????

The Doc
SPOILER
Again, the plot uses the made up excuse (they see what they want to see)

The thing is the Aliens probably watched from their ships, and scouted dry areas, perhaps weather technology to avoid rain? This is pretty much unimportant although it raises questions.

1. The Sixth Sense
2. Signs

He makes movies for the good reasons however he falls short, usually making the movie a moral meaning after a flawed twist.
Posted By: Silvio

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
This guy is one of the most overrated Directors in History.
thank you. Wasnt the Others by MNight as well (not that it was any good)?

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 04:09 AM

I don't think Shyamalan is overrated, I think it's that his "blockbuster" was overrated. i thought the Sixth Sense was a poor film, one of the worst I've ever seen... people hadn't seen a twist like that before. Believe it or not that was pretty much invented back in '99 with that film.. I think if Signs or The Village, his best films, came out back then, there'd be legitimate praise. TSS sucked, Unbreakable was basically unbearable, and Signs and The Village were both great.

SPOILERS*********************

Quote:
The Village: How could the creature have been in the woods when Mr. Phonex went in unannounced? Unless they had "watches". But the noices and stuff like that would be very hard to reproduce then. This movie was the best at this though. Just not scary enough.

The Doc
But since the creatures were really just those people, or that retarded guy, they would have known he was going into the woods so they would have gotten the suit and gotten out there. I think it makes sense.

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
I don't think Shyamalan is overrated, I think it's that his "blockbuster" was overrated. i thought the Sixth Sense was a poor film, one of the worst I've ever seen... people hadn't seen a twist like that before. Believe it or not that was pretty much invented back in '99 with that film.. I think if Signs or The Village, his best films, came out back then, there'd be legitimate praise. TSS sucked, Unbreakable was basically unbearable, and Signs and The Village were both great.

SPOILERS*********************

[quote] The Village: How could the creature have been in the woods when Mr. Phonex went in unannounced? Unless they had "watches". But the noices and stuff like that would be very hard to reproduce then. This movie was the best at this though. Just not scary enough.

The Doc
But since the creatures were really just those people, or that retarded guy, they would have known he was going into the woods so they would have gotten the suit and gotten out there. I think it makes sense. [/quote]No they would not have known it was him. he did it on impulse. The other "villagers" would not have known his impulse and gone out there.

The Doc

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 04:24 AM

No, because remember he went to the town counsel and petioned them to let him go into the woods... so I'd imagine they'd keep an eye on him because they knew he wanted to go out there.
Posted By: Busta

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 04:25 AM

The Sixth Sense was his best movie. I'm surprised I am the first one to say it too. I liked Unbreakable, but didn't think Signs was the great. I liked The Village also, but it is the movie that has been bashed the most out of all of them. I have to disagree with people that call him the next Hitchcock tho.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 04:28 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the guy's work as a few I know, but I generally like the guy's movies. Besides, what other top-major filmmaker that a huge corporate entity like Disney is willing to give huge gobs of cash to do really slow directing that really takes its time?

Also, UNBREAKABLE wasn't a bomb. It broke(har har) about $248 million around the globe(and thats not including the VHS/DVD and PPV markets), same with VILLAGE. Point is, as long as M. Night Shymalamadingdong( ) makes money, Disney will fund the guy to make his movies.

In other words, the guy's movies could have been better I agree, but they are still worth my time. More so than I have gotten from the likes of Renny Harlin and Michael Bay in the last decade or so.

EDIT - I agree with Busta, except that Shymalan is not the next Hitchcock or Spielberg(remember that f*cking stupid NEWSWEEK cover when SIGNS came out? "The Next Spielberg?" :rolleyes: ). He is only the next Shymalan and thats it. Its like in the late 70's when filmmakers like John Carpenter(subject of my upcoming Tribute) and Brian DePalma were likened as the next Hitchcock by many critics or PR reps. However, most filmmakers may share similar "-esque" qualities that show their "tip of influence", yet they are still their own unique individual autuer moviemakers.
Posted By: svsg

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 04:44 AM

I saw The Sixth Sense and liked it a lot. Though some people said they predicted the end, I could not figure it out till the tend. I then watched Signs with great expectations, but was very disappointing. It was funny unintentionally in some scenes. Like the whole premise of baseball story.I am yet to watch Village, but reading all the reviews, I am not too enthusiastic.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 06:20 AM

Basically ditto of what svsg said. I loved The sixth sense and I think it was a great scary movie with a good twist. But then I watched Signs and I was so mad for wasting my time and money over a load of garbage. Anything with aliens and Sci-Fi creatures of those sorts makes me barf especially when it gets mixed with religion and a moral conclusion. Maybe the only thing that was fun in the Signs was the girl who was working in the pharmacy trying to make a confession and asking if calling someone D.B. was a sin!
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 12:40 PM

Ive not seen the Village,But Shyamlan is a respected director who always gets the message to the audiance in all of his films.

1)Sixth Sense
2)Signs
3)Unbreakable

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 05:22 PM

Quote:
No, because remember he went to the town counsel and petioned them to let him go into the woods... so I'd imagine they'd keep an eye on him because they knew he wanted to go out there.
NO!

The first time, when he went into the woods when he was just supposed to be doing something on the outside of the gates. he went out, unexpected, about 30 feet and saw something, and ran back in, before he went into the council.

The Doc

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/11/05 05:22 PM

Quote:
NO!

The first time, when he went into the woods when he was just supposed to be doing something on the outside of the gates. he went out, unexpected, about 30 feet and saw something, and ran back in, before he went into the council. When he got berries or something.

The Doc
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/12/05 12:47 AM

I've seen all but one and would rank them as follows:

1. The Sixth Sense
2. Signs
3. Unbreakable
Never saw The Village

I thought The Sixth Sense was best by far.

TIS
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/12/05 06:34 PM

Not a huge fan of him but feel bad b/c I think people expect too much from his movies:

1) Unbreakable
2) The Sixth Sense
3) The Village
4) Signs
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: M. Night Shyamlan - 01/12/05 09:40 PM

The Sixth Sense *
1999, Shamalayan, US
A child psychologist tries to help an estranged boy who can see the dead.
Haunting feature without many shocks and little suspense; nothing more than a commercial, atmospheric film with a twist ending.

Signs *
2002, Shamalayan, US
A former priest and widower protects, with the help of his brother, his children from an alien invasion.
With no firm ground to tread on, this settles for a series of shocks before a disappointing ending, but along the way we are treat to Gibson's typical acting and some slick direction.

A fine auteur, albeit not one I rush to see the work of. Oh well.

Mick
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET