Home

Colin Powell resignation

Posted By: Nicolas

Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 04:58 PM

Ive just heard in the news that Colin powell has resigned.Why do you think he did it¿?
Posted By: Busta

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 05:45 PM

It may also be that he was left out on a lot of the decisions near the end of Bush's first term. This is kinda sad for me, I liked him the most out of the entire administration.
Posted By: AngelaMarie

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 07:00 PM

I can't believe he resigned.......
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 07:03 PM

Like Partagas said, he said he'd only do one term. I'm not surprised.

I'm waiting to see who his replacement will be.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 07:06 PM

I too had heard the rumor that Powell would resign. There are however 3 other resignations today of lesser known cabinet members. See link

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/15/powell/index.html

TIS
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 07:18 PM

That's a shame. I liked the man. I wish Bush would have given him Secretary of Defence instead of that Rumsfield. Best of luck whatever he does now.
Posted By: Patrick

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 07:59 PM

Good news. I'd take all of the resigned members back though, if Rumsfeld would resign. Ashcroft (who resigned) and Rumsfeld are the only 2 I cannot stand. -Pat
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/15/04 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Busta:
This is kinda sad for me, I liked him the most out of the entire administration.
I agree that the resignation of this gentleman is a sad thing for our country. But he had always said that he would probably only serve one term. We must realize that many of these cabinet members basically sacrifice thier lives taking those positions. The job is a very denmanding job where they basically spend 12 to 15 hours a day away from thier families. Then how about ( in Powell's position) in addition to spending 12 to 15 hours a day away from your family, the time he spent traveling the world! Basically a man like Powell has not had the chance to make some real money for himself and his future. So now, he takes some time off, spends some time with his family and at his leisure he can do speaking engagements at colleges, etc. and make some good money doing so. It is definately understandable. However something tells me that a man of Colin Powell's stature and capabilities will not stay out of the political arena for too long a time.
Yes, he will be missed.

Don Cardi

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 01:11 AM

I'm really not buying that whole "I only wanted to one term" thing. I think that's something he is saying so it looks like it didnt end on bad terms between him and Bush and the rest of the administration. I do think he wanted to get out because he really was left out of many of the meetings. I do hope to see him pop back up in the future also.

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Busta:
I'm really not buying that whole "I only wanted to one term" thing. I think that's something he is saying so it looks like it didnt end on bad terms between him and Bush and the rest of the administration. I do think he wanted to get out because he really was left out of many of the meetings. I do hope to see him pop back up in the future also.
Busta,

It is written fact that Colin Powell has said that he would get out after the first term. He has said this on numerous occasions over the last several years or so. Look, I am sure that there were some political differences that may have helped him make the final decision, but seeing how this man has done things, put his service to his country ahead of himself and presented himself over the years, I do not believe that any political differences that may have occured between him and the administration were the sole deciding factor in his deciding to resign. And yes, I too hope that he does pop up again in the near future.

Secretary Of State Condoleeza Rice
National Security Advisor Rudolph Giuliani

What do you think?

Don Cardi
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 01:25 AM

It is reported that it is 99% certain that condi will take Powell's place.

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 04:45 AM

I'll agree with you on that. I wouldn't mind seeing Giuliani get in there cuz he is a moderate.

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 02:10 PM

FYI,

Homeland Security Advisor Tom Ridge has just offered his resignation as well. Talk about a overhaul.

TIS

PS I just heard this 5 minutes ago on MSNBC...now they just CORRECTED themselves, saying he did NOT offer his resignation. Couldn't they be sure, before they reported it? :rolleyes: I wonder what inspired them to say it if it wasn't true. Go figure. Anyway, sorry, they did announce it, honest. :p
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
FYI,

Homeland Security Advisor Tom Ridge has just offered his resignation as well. Talk about a overhaul.
Do you have a link? My papers this morning listed all the members remaining, and his is one of them...

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b] FYI,

Do you have a link? My papers this morning listed all the members remaining, and his is one of them... [/b][/quote]DJ,

I made PS to my link. They had one of those brief announcements early this morning while I was getting ready for work. MSNBC announces,"Tom Ridge Resigns...more info soon" (that type of thing). By the time I posted, within 5 minutes, they made a "correction" saying he didn't resign. I had to leave for work, but never heard any explanation or reason why they felt it was "confirmed" enough to announce.

Sorry...but write MSN, not me. :p

TIS
Posted By: Mr. Baggins

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 09:08 PM

It's not really a large overturn. Actually about average for a president's second term.

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 09:09 PM

What are the odds of Rumsfeld leaving?

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Patrick,

As long as you keep asking when Rumsfeld is going to leave, it's that much longer that he will stay on! I keep forwarding your posts to him and he says that the more that this kid Pat pushes for my resignation, the longer I am going to stay on!

Don Cardi

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 10:39 PM

Anyone but Rumsfeld.

My local news channel just said that 2 senior officials have told them Ridge WILL resign. -Pat
Posted By: DonsAdvisor

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/16/04 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Rumsfeld is already rich enough and doesn't need to go write books and do the speaking circuit.

Re: Colin Powell resignation - 11/17/04 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] What are the odds of Rumsfeld leaving?
Rumsfeld is already rich enough and doesn't need to go write books and do the speaking circuit. [/b][/quote]That may be true, but I also believe that he is just one of those people who sincerely loves what he does and enjoys serving his country. You know, I see that several people on these boards, especially Pat, have diplayed thier displeasure with Rumsfeld for various reasons. Some have made legitimate points, some have not. I happen to like the guy, and I have many reason's that are too long to list. But there is one thing about him that will always stick out in my mind. On September 11th 2001 when the pentagon was hit by the plane, he along with other governemnet officials were ushered out to be brought to a secure location. However Mr. Rumsfeld somehow managed in all the kaos to break away from the others and worked his way over to the crash site and immedeatly beagn assisting in the rescue effort. If you look at some of the tapes from the pentagon site, you can clearly see Rumsfeld on several of them, carrying injured people and going back and forth to help others. The man obviously was not worried about his own well being, fully aware that there were reports of the possibility of more planes coming to attack. He just kept at what he felt he needed to do in assisting in the rescue effort. No matter what you may think of him, those actions alone tell me that he is not a selfish human being and that he cared about the well being of others instead of being concerned about himself.

Don Cardi
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET