Home

DVD Thread

Posted By: QTN

DVD Thread - 10/10/04 07:20 AM

I propose a thread, this very one, where DVD "folks" of this great messageboard do short/simple reviews of their recent(or not) DVDs and discuss just-released or upcoming DVD releases.

For instance, I'll post up a very-short review of the UNTOUCHABLES: SPECIAL EDITION DVD I bought last night at Circuit City for $9, but here in this thread I will do similar very-short DVD reviews of PRIMARY COLORS(which was also on sale for $9 and I bought due to my college course doing a large section on the source novel. Hey, Cut corners when you can!) and SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: SPECIAL EDITION. Not to mention my previous purchase a week ago, the SE DVD of William Friedkin's much-dug and much-hurting still from its pure-80's aftertaste cop flick TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA.

Feel free to do such reviews of any of your DVDs right here.....or put a horse's head in my bed while I sleep, whatever tickles your fancy.
Posted By: SC

Re: DVD Thread - 10/10/04 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by QTN:
Feel free to do such reviews of any of your DVDs right here.....or put a horse's head in my bed while I sleep, whatever tickles your fancy.
OK

Posted By: Irishman12

Re: DVD Thread - 10/10/04 08:59 PM

See I am what I call a DVD "collector." I have about 263 DVD's & TV shows/Box sets. I'm wondering, out of all you guys who buy DVD's out there, how many of you actually have all 4 seasons of The Simpsons? I have about 6 friends who have as many or more DVD's as I have who love The Simpsons, yet either have only 1 or none of the seasons. The Simpsons DVDs have got to be part of any DVD collection for it to be a true collection :p
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: DVD Thread - 10/10/04 09:01 PM

All 4 seasons of the Simpsons, PLUS tree house of horrors and the christmas special. The 3 seasons of Family guy and 2 seasons of Futurama (still need to get the 3rd)
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: DVD Thread - 10/10/04 09:34 PM

As far as tv shows, I have the first 2 seasons of Angel, the first 3 seasons of Buffy. The first 2 seasons of The Shield, first 3 seasons of The Sopranos(keep meaning to get season 4)Dallas seasons 1&2. Knight Rider season 1.

I don't have any animated shows. Unless you count the old cartoon series The Transformers, I have all of those.

Yeah in some ways I'm still a kid at heart.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/10/04 09:40 PM

Irishman12, you are indeed my master! I just passed the 70 mark so I have a long way to go.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 12:32 AM

At my last count I was at 419 DVDs. Movies are what I do, Film is my life. When I get my Doctorate in film, I will hopefully be able to make some of the money I spent on films back.

Anyone know the site where you can put a list of your DVD's available to other people?

Doctor Ferro
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 01:09 AM

Im at about 175 DVD's. My most treasuered ones are my Lotr extended editions, godfather trilogy, and my Martin Scorsese collection. Ive cut back on buying Dvds the last few months or so, but thats only because money happens to be tight.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
Anyone know the site where you can put a list of your DVD's available to other people?
Doc - You wanna download DVD Profiler -- you'll get to share you collection like many of us have in the past (see my signature)

It's great cuz you can enter the titles using the UPC symbol. It's a great database, and it even cross-references actors in all the movies you own.
Posted By: the bad guy tm

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 01:42 AM

i have 473 dvds, many box sets including die hard,godfather,lotr,scarface,friday the 13th, rambo way to many box sets lol. my fave dvs are my scarface deluxe set,godfather,raging bull,martin s box set,serpico,kalifornia,monster,e.t,friday the 13 th lol i quess i love em all. my wife says i could of bought a new car cash for what i have in dvds. but i am a film lover. there is nothing better than sitting down to a movie and a bowl of popcorn!!!! im looking forward to getting the new raging bull and troy! i cant go in a store without buying one or two dvds. its a sickness as my wife calls it
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 01:49 AM

Definately near 300 if not there. I can't fit anymore on my shelves.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 02:04 AM

Damn, Ive got 30, if that.Ive been working on it, but I dont have too much $$ to throw around.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 02:11 AM

When you own a pizzeria like DV does, there's plenty of dough to go around. :rolleyes:

(Oh man, I'm starting to sound like SC )
Posted By: Double-J

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
Damn, Ive got 30, if that.Ive been working on it, but I dont have too much $$ to throw around.
Ditto.

I probably have like...what...maybe fucking (not counting the pr0n of course) 20 movies or so? But I mean they are the essentials...Godfather Trilogy...Star Wars OT...Scarface ('83 + '32)...Spider-Man ( :p )...Young Frankenstein...Stripes...Blues Brothers...et al.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
[b] Damn, Ive got 30, if that.Ive been working on it, but I dont have too much $$ to throw around.
Ditto.

I probably have like...what...maybe fucking (not counting the pr0n of course) 20 movies or so? But I mean they are the essentials...Godfather Trilogy...Star Wars OT...Scarface ('83 + '32)...Spider-Man ( :p )...Young Frankenstein...Stripes...Blues Brothers...et al.

[/b][/quote]and with the "pr0n" you have about 620? lol
Posted By: Double-J

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 02:33 AM

At least. It's getting hard to hide them all in my underwear drawer...I've been trying to think of a way to conceal them in my motorized tie rack according to a "lesbian-threesome-college girl" classification system, but no luck so far.

I'll keep you posted though.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
When you own a pizzeria like DV does, there's plenty of dough to go around. :rolleyes:

(Oh man, I'm starting to sound like SC )
I hate you.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 03:55 AM

Finally done

DVD Collection

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Finally done

DVD Collection
that is Sick, I have about 12 lol

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 04:10 AM

I need to find the time to actually do this. Don Vecetti, how long did it take you to do yours??

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 04:11 AM

I just finished since 10.
Posted By: Blake

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 06:21 AM

At 15, to my name I have about 130. I thought that was alot until I saw how many you guys have lol.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
DVD Collection
Mine is better.
Posted By: Patrick

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 11:11 AM

I've got about 125. My latest are Fahrenheit 9/11 and the Friday the 13th box set. -Pat

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 12:05 PM

Oh Patrick, you getting F 9/11? What a surprise!

Anyway, picked up some more DVDs over at circuit City, which I'll do short reviews of shortly.

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
I've got about 125. My latest are Fahrenheit 9/11 and the Friday the 13th box set. -Pat
I got those 2 last Tuesday too. I'm surprised that the Friday the 13th set sold as well. When my friend went to Best Buy at about 8 pm to get me these DVD's, they only had 3 left (2 when he got mine).

Also, for all of you guys who can't wait, December 21 is the 5th season of the Simpsons on DVD!

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 06:51 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] DVD Collection
Mine is better. [/b][/quote]Your Tai Chi and Beatles DVDs can't amount to me

:p

Re: DVD Thread - 10/12/04 09:20 PM

Here's a picture of The Simpsons Season 5 DVD. It's the first picture I've seen of it up on the web. It's about in the middle of the page:

JoBlo
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: DVD Thread - 10/15/04 01:15 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b]Anyone know the site where you can put a list of your DVD's available to other people?
Doc - You wanna download DVD Profiler -- you'll get to share you collection like many of us have in the past (see my signature)

It's great cuz you can enter the titles using the UPC symbol. It's a great database, and it even cross-references actors in all the movies you own. [/b][/quote]Oh Dang, I downloaded this but I run on a G4 Mac Powerbook. This program doesnt have a mac version. Anyone know of any other mac programs for dvd collections? I like to share mine with you guys.

Doctor Ferro
Posted By: Patches

Re: DVD Thread - 10/15/04 03:18 AM

I had about 50 until someone broke into my house and stole a few of my favorites (yes, they got off with my Taxi Driver ). I just bought one at Wal-Mart for a $1.00 with Bobby in it called The Swap. I never heard of it, but I'm sure it's worth a buck.
Posted By: thug

Re: DVD Thread - 10/15/04 07:19 PM

I just got the three-disc Criterion DVD of The Battle of Algiers and it is probably the best DVD I've ever seen (the only competition is their Cassavetes box set and perhaps the upcoming 5-disc version of Fanny and Alexander). The film itself is amazing, but the amount of extras is astounding. This is a must buy.

Thug
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: DVD Thread - 10/19/04 12:13 PM

thug, I've heard similar things about it. I mean Criterion always makes great DVDs...and they always cost an arm, a leg, and a few fingers EACH.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: DVD Thread - 10/19/04 08:42 PM

On Sunday I bought The Birth of a Nation for a staggering £6.97! COuldn't believe the price of it; when walking out of the shop after buying it, I felt as if I'd stolen it at that price!

And then last night, as if one bargain wasn't enough, I ordered from Play.com Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein, both for £6.99!

Mick
Posted By: Blake

Re: DVD Thread - 10/19/04 09:19 PM

Yesterday I got Cliffhanger, and I really want to get all three Rambo's.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET