Home

Black Music Month

Posted By: BlackFamily

Black Music Month - 06/05/18 03:44 PM

I wanted to share some of my favorite songs for Black Music Month.

Little Milton
Posted By: Right_Pride

Re: Black Music Month - 06/05/18 07:31 PM

You are kidding right?

Re: Black Music Month - 06/05/18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Right_Pride
You are kidding right?

About what?
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 01:35 AM

Fly right
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 02:09 AM

This is newer but has an older vibe to it

Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 03:04 AM

Jimi Hendrix--the greatest musician of the Sixties. "Purple Haze" is far from my favorite Hendrix, but this video shows his matchless, effortless technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJunCsrhJjg

Elmore James: "King of the Slide Guitar":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKo80b-QfK0
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 03:42 PM

I don't know how wide a scope or how far back we're going here but to name a few: James Brown, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Nat King Cole, Bo Diddley, not to mention Prince, Whitney Houston. Tho I'm not an expert on what to look for as far as musician's know-how playing an instrument. My judging goes by "if it's awesome, it's awesome." lol I agree with Turnbull on Jimi Hendrix. His guitar skills were unbelievable and he made it seem so easy. smile

I would kick myself it I didn't also include the entire Motown sound which introduced so many great black artists. Being originally from Michigan I take pride in the great music that came out of Detroit. Talk about Black female groups (Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, The Marvelettes to name a few) were so good! Then of course there's Smokey, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, and two of my personal favorite Motown groups: The Four Tops and The Temptations. I KNOW there are so many I'm missing but we certainly cannot deny the many GREAT talents that come from the Black community. Makes me wanna go to my pandora and click on "Motown." wink

TIS
Posted By: helenwheels

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 04:06 PM

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlackFamily

Little Milton

BF, thanks for that excellent blues. The only song I remember of Little Milton's was "We're gonna make it."

TIS, a big part of Berry Gordy Jr.'s Motown genius was that he didn't want the music he produced to be pigeonholed or stereotyped as "Soul," or "R&B," etc.--which would have shunted it off to the ghetto of mainstream pop music. Instead, he billed Motown as "the music of young America," which included everyone, not just blacks. Motown's artists and their music were unmistakably rooted in urban R&B, but everyone could enjoy and relate to it. To his solid rhythm section he added strings and horns. He also had a dance coach for his male acts (as in "The Temptation Walk") and a finishing school for his female acts.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Turnbull

Little Milton

BF, thanks for that excellent blues. The only song I remember of Little Milton's was "We're gonna make it."

TIS, a big part of Berry Gordy Jr.'s Motown genius was that he didn't want the music he produced to be pigeonholed or stereotyped as "Soul," or "R&B," etc.--which would have shunted it off to the ghetto of mainstream pop music. Instead, he billed Motown as "the music of young America," which included everyone, not just blacks. Motown's artists and their music were unmistakably rooted in urban R&B, but everyone could enjoy and relate to it. To his solid rhythm section he added strings and horns. He also had a dance coach for his male acts (as in "The Temptation Walk") and a finishing school for his female acts.

I never really knew for instance, if people like Bob Seger and Mitch Ryder (another of my favorites) was considered "Motown" because their "sound" was different from the others.

Re: the Temptations walk. Yes I picture them in their peach colored suits, lacey shirts....smooth as silk. LOL Btw, if I may rant on. One of the best instrumental (IMHO) openings to a song is the Temps "Papa Was A Rolling Stone." You just gotta get on your feet.

TIS

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 07:55 PM

Little Milton

Your welcome Turnbull! Glad you enjoyed that song. It's a commonly played here in Mississippi.

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 07:56 PM

I enjoy his music tremendously.

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 08:07 PM

Posted By: Right_Pride

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 08:47 PM

This is a great example of the best in black music.
Posted By: Ciment

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 09:58 PM

Otis Redding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJC5rJkrGx0

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 10:02 PM

Fats Domino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLK1_mIjONI

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 10:05 PM

Bo Diddley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7031HvXLuk
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by RollinBones
This is newer but has an older vibe to it

His first album was really good
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 10:43 PM

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 10:57 PM

The mold breakers- Bad Brains.

Re: Black Music Month - 06/06/18 11:00 PM

I can never hear this and not want to dance

Re: Black Music Month - 06/07/18 03:09 AM

Ciment, I saw Fats Domino and Bo Diddley many times at the Alan Freed R&R shows at the Brooklyn Paramount in the Fifties.

Fats often was the headliner. He had his own, fair-sized band with him. The stage lights would go out, Freed's big band musicians would leave the stage, and Fats' guys would come out. A piano would roll out for Fats. Then the lights went on and Fats would barrel through his current hits (he had more Top 40 hits than any act but the Beatles). Fats always smiling. Great band, too--his sax player, Herbert Hardesty, was tops.

Bo Diddley played a custom-made, square-shaped Gretsch guitar. Used only one amp, but had a huge, distinctive sound. Snaky dance steps, too. Had two guys behind him--drummer and maracas player.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Black Music Month - 06/07/18 06:03 AM

Can't beat a bit of Sam Cooke..
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Black Music Month - 06/07/18 08:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOcOBjB3uU

Re: Black Music Month - 06/10/18 06:39 PM

Ciment, I saw Fats Domino and Bo Diddley many times at the Alan Freed R&R shows at the Brooklyn Paramount in the Fifties.

Fats often was the headliner. He had his own, fair-sized band with him. The stage lights would go out, Freed's big band musicians would leave the stage, and Fats' guys would come out. A piano would roll out for Fats. Then the lights went on and Fats would barrel through his current hits (he had more Top 40 hits than any act but the Beatles). Fats always smiling. Great band, too--his sax player, Herbert Hardesty, was tops.

Bo Diddley played a custom-made, square-shaped Gretsch guitar. Used only one amp, but had a huge, distinctive sound. Snaky dance steps, too. Had two guys behind him--drummer and maracas player.

Loved those times wish I can re-live those moments.
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Black Music Month - 06/10/18 06:48 PM

Stuff like this always puts me in a good mood lol

Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Black Music Month - 06/10/18 06:59 PM

Chicago West Side's Magic Sam. Died of a heart attack at age 32.

Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Black Music Month - 06/10/18 07:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfcUZBMSSg
Posted By: Gallinari

Re: Black Music Month - 06/11/18 04:56 PM

Long Live The Rooster.

@ SC, disappointed in you that you had to stoop to name calling. But youre the boss. Feel bad for you too now.

@ Loscalzo, your nonsense about Tampa still holds no weight and Ive been vindicated many times over.

All the best to Nickle, Bensonhurst, Cabrini, and Giacomo. Keep up the good posts in my absence
Posted By: fergie

Re: Black Music Month - 06/28/18 10:37 PM

I can never understand why some music is labeled as black...I just like music. Black and white people have always written/sang music and its up to you whatever you like. Black music...am I now a white guy that likes black music? Does my black friend now like white music? What a lot of bullshit. We like whatever music we like, and we don't "celebrate" or highlight anyone's achievements just because they happen to be white or black...it causes more divisions.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Black Music Month - 06/28/18 11:55 PM

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET