Home

A DVD from a galaxy far, far away...

Posted By: Double-J

A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 07:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Amazon.com

Amazon has you saving $27, and I am going nuts. You don't understand how long I've been waiting to see these movies in DVD clarity and super surround sound (my VHS editions I taped off the TV leave alot to be desired, and the quality has finally given up the ghost).

At least it isn't $100 like The Godfather trilogy was when it came out...I am so pumped. Yes, I am a space nerd. tongue
Posted By: thug

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 07:29 PM

Too bad Lucas has added stuff like this to the films:

[Linked Image]

Thug
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 08:04 PM

Originally posted by thug:

[Linked Image]

Thug
It is a shame...

Lucas is destroying these FILMS!
Posted By: bogey

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 08:23 PM

is that from the new movie or something?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 08:38 PM

Originally posted by bogey:
No... It for the new DVD's...
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 09:05 PM

[Linked Image]

Thug
What the HELL?! Who is that, and why has it been changed? Or are you pulling our leg?

Mick
Posted By: Mignon

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 09:18 PM

Bogey,
How ya doin? It's been awhile since I talked to ya Bet ya can't wait to leave Weir High huh?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b] Too bad Lucas has added stuff like this to the films:

[Linked Image]

Thug
What the HELL?! Who is that, and why has it been changed? Or are you pulling our leg?

Mick [/b]
He's not lying although that pic looks VERY fake...

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
[b]
[b] Too bad Lucas has added stuff like this to the films:

[Linked Image]

Thug

Mick [/b]
He's not lying although that pic looks VERY fake... [/b]
A very reliable DVD website has confirmed that it is real. We won't be quite sure of everything until September, but if Hayden Christensen (the guy in the photo, Capo) is in a single frame of the REAL Star Wars films (not the newer ones, that actually do need work on...) then I will not buy them.

Thug

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 09:55 PM

Lucas should'nt be fucking around with the original prints, but he decidedly is. He claims that the movies seen in theatres in the late 70's and early 80's will never be released, apparently his goal in adding new scenes and fixing old ones is to make the series "perfect." Oh well, I don't actually mind the new stuff, it's only adding to the series.

And the Anakin picture has to be fake. Either they payed the actor who plays Vader in Episode 6 to allow his image to be removed from the film or Lucas has some kind of creative control over the process, which I doubt would go without some kind of reprisal...I mean, removing an actor like that seems wrong to do to the guy who played the part, even if more people would be able to identify with the image of Anakin Skywalker as Hayden Christiansen...

Still, I think the pic is a fake.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/25/04 11:11 PM

The picture has been confirmed as real, so unless the (very reliable) website is wrong (which, yeah, is a possibility, I guess) you will see that in Return of the Jedi. It may look fake, but remember Jabba the Hutt in the Special Edition of Star Wars? eek eek

This is the kind of thing Lucas would do and it's very believable.

Thug
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 05:15 AM

Thug is, unfortunetly, 100% correct. I also will not be buying this collection if one frame of the movie contains that dreadful Haden creep.

Lucas' sole concern with these films is to "create the films he wasent able to make back then" with the new technology. Unfortunetly, he doesn't realize the effect they have without them. The films are no longer classics in their new formats and should either be returned to original aspect, or destroyed. These new editions are a disgrace to the film industry. And who would have thought through all of this, the CREATOR would be doing all this and not the production company trying to rake in more cash. (Although I'm sure Lucas loves money too.)

Dr. Ferro
Doctor of Journalism and Film

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 05:15 PM

The picture has been confirmed as real, so unless the (very reliable) website is wrong (which, yeah, is a possibility, I guess) you will see that in Return of the Jedi. It may look fake, but remember Jaba the Hutt in the Special Edition of Star Wars? eek eek

This is the kind of thing Lucas would do and it's very believable.

Thug
Oh I have no doubts Lucas is capable of doing this type of edit, but the actor who originally played Darth Vader when he was revealed in ROTJ is most likely either being compensated greatly for having his image removed or is (or perhaps should be) pursuing legal action.

Not being an expert on copyright law with regards to films, I am actually unsure what right an actor has. But I'm assuming he probably gets some form of royalties (if he's still alive).
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 07:08 PM

I personally can't wait for Star Wars movies on DVD. I'll be buying them off of Amazon and quite frankly these films are George Lucas and as the filmmaker does have the right to do whatever he wants with them.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Don Lights:
I personally can't wait for Star Wars movies on DVD. I'll be buying them off of Amazon and quite frankly these films are George Lucas and as the filmmaker does have the right to do whatever he wants with them.
Those films are not just his... They are ours and if he thinks otherwise then he's got another thing coming to him!

So Fuck you George Lucas and your fucking ideas to change a film which is an institution! There is 40 to 50 bucks that that fucker isn't getting!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 08:40 PM

Two notes:

1. I looked it up and the actor who played Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker is in fact dead. He died in 1994, I think.

2. George Lucas did not direct the second two Star Wars and didn't even participate in writing the best film of the series, The Empire Strikes Back. He was a co-writer for The Return of the Jedi. To be honost, he does have the right to butcher A New Hope in any way he wishes, which is unfortunate, but he doesn't have any right to touch the other two as he was barely involved in the actual filmmaking. If he releases his director's cut (or "Special Edition") of Star Wars, I ask that he releases the director's cut (which is NOT the "Special Edition") of the other two films. It's too bad this'll never happen.

Thug
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 09:03 PM

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001190/

He isn't dead.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 09:05 PM

My question that still hasn't been answered: WHY, is George Lucas changing this? Why take the old Anakin out, and what has got into his mind to put Hayden at the end of RofJ?

Mick

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0001190/

He isn't dead.
Yes, he is.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0789970/

Lucas wants to make the films more like the newer Episodes. Why he wants to do this though? I think he really doesn't appreciate art.

Thug

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 09:26 PM

Hmm, regardless of Lucas being the director, all of the films were released through his company Lucasfilms/Lucasarts, so I think he still holds the authority.

So yeah, the guy is dead (?). But I wonder, even though he had a bit part, do the same (if any) rules apply if his image is removed as if, say, using CGI, we implanted Lawrence Olivier into the Godfather instead of Marlon Brando? ohwell
Posted By: Omar Suarez

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 09:38 PM

I came across this thread on IMDb a few days ago that kind of goes along with what we're saying here, and it also mentions "The Godfather Part II".
Only, I really don't understand the quote. Could someone explain it to me?

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/thread/8626283

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 09:52 PM

Because GF II was considered by many in the industry and inside Paramount to be too long for most viewers, and especially when it eventually hit the TV screens.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what they are talking about, but they make a bit of sense. Lucas has NEVER been happy with the original 3 prints he made in the 70's and 80's, and consequently he has made revision, addition, and edit after edit over the past 40 or so odd years to each film, and buyers have scarfed them up.

I don't mind minor additions, but some (like the Jabba-Solo scene in the Tatooine garage) are unnecessary or the Greedo-Solo exchange just hurt the plot (i.e. Solo shoots Greedo first, yet in the later revisions of the movie, Greedo shoots first for some reason... confused )

So he was telling FFC to essentially split GF II into two movies, probably for the money or something.

---

That's my interpretation. Feel free to comment, guys. wink

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/26/04 10:45 PM

Lucas is in fact insane. Had Francis Coppolla listened to him, film history would have been lessened.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/27/04 12:09 AM

Bah, at least he hasn't fucked 'round too much with the Indiana Jones trilogy. It's too late for Star Wars, though. ohwell

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/27/04 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Double-J:
Bah, at least he hasn't fucked 'round too much with the Indiana Jones trilogy. It's too late for Star Wars, though. ohwell
DOn't worry... They got ther films done the way they wanted to... I hope.

So the original negative of The Star Wars is gone or has been altered??
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/27/04 02:35 AM

Wow. Okay, so the little kid (Anakin Skywalker) in the new ones turns out to grow up and become Darth Vadar??

Fascinating.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/27/04 02:51 AM

Originally posted by joltinjoe05:
Wow. Okay, so the little kid (Anakin Skywalker) in the new ones turns out to grow up and become Darth Vadar??

Fascinating.
Yeah!

SPOILER WARNING!
See, Aperantley, Anakin is also Luke's father!
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/27/04 02:55 AM

Yeah!

SPOILER WARNING!
See, Aperantley, Anakin is also Luke's father!
You've got to be kidding me...

See, I only saw the first one and I was dragged to the one that came out in 2000, I think.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/28/04 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Mignon:
Bogey,
How ya doin? It's been awhile since I talked to ya Bet ya can't wait to leave Weir High huh?
Hey, I'm good. It has been a while... 4 more days left of Weir... well until next year, that is... then ill be.... now get ready.... a... SENIOR!!! That's CRAZY.. haha...

Those films are not just his... They are ours and if he thinks otherwise then he's got another thing coming to him!

So Fuck you George Lucas and your fucking ideas to change a film which is an institution! There is 40 to 50 bucks that that fucker isn't getting!
lol easy killer..

all i know is george better not mess with my precious indiana jones, or he'll have hell to pay... mad mad

and does someone want to explain to me exactly why Sebastian Shaw and David Prowse both have credits to being Darth Vader??? I'm kinda confused...... confused

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/28/04 12:49 AM

and does someone want to explain to me exactly why Sebastian Shaw and David Prowse both have credits to being Darth Vader??? I'm kinda confused...... confused
Because one was the man inside the suit who did all the acrobatic moves and lightsaber fights and such, and the other was the actor who we see under the mask at the end of the final Star Wars movie, ROTJ. wink

Also, what about James Earl Jones? He should definitely get credit for his superb voice acting. cool

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/28/04 01:14 AM

ohhhh... yeah a light bulb just went on in my head........... gotchya

yeah james earl jones' voice was great.. can't have vader with out james!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 05/28/04 01:25 AM

[b]Those films are not just his... They are ours and if he thinks otherwise then he's got another thing coming to him!

lol easy killer..

all i know is george better not mess with my precious indiana jones, or he'll have hell to pay... mad mad
[/b]
Don't worry. THe Only Alteration made to the Indy films are a little alteration in Raiders were we see the glass that protected Harrison Ford from One Of THe Cobras in That Snake scene...

His buddy Steven Speilberg learned not to alter his films (ET ANYONE?!) and so Im sure he won't let Lucas get his hands on the print...

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/27/04 09:33 PM

Star Wars DVD Changes

These are the rumoured changes that I've been researching. I don't mind some of them, but I was wondering what y'all think about it.

These are not officially confirmed or denied.
Posted By: Don Pope

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/27/04 10:22 PM

Star Wars DVD Changes

These are the rumoured changes that I've been researching. I don't mind some of them, but I was wondering what y'all think about it.

These are not officially confirmed or denied.
At the bottom of that list it says this....

"I'm going to have to call this one out as being total nonsense. This exact word for word list ran as a talkback by a guy named "Donnie Darko" several weeks ago, and that's not the first time I've seen it show up. Yes, Lucas is working on Archival Editions of the films, despite his continued denial of it in public, like at a UCLA appearance this week. Yes, there are some dramatic things they're trying. But this fanboy wish list is just not true. And the films that are coming out on DVD next fall are the Special Editions you've seen already. The ones released in '97. No changes. Nothing done to them"
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/27/04 11:29 PM

mad mad mad This is why I am boycotting the prequel's. They destroy the film. Just because of adding him in I am no longer buying the boxed set. I will be just fine with my VHS boxed set with the ORIGINAL films. Not this crap. It's a travesty and makes me lose my remaining respect for Lucas, which I didn't lose when I saw Episode 1. (Never bothered to go to Ep. 2, since episode "1" sucked so horribly.)

I think Lucas is destroying the franchise which he created. He should be proud of what he made, not go off and destroy it with his delusional vision's of making the film "better". Star Wars was (sadly I cannot say is ohwell ) a 20th century classic, and now it's a little sick joke. I beleive the generation's of movie goer's ahead of us will not even bother to waste their time with such crap, because they never knew what the movie used to be. They will never know it was actually at one time GOOD. [Linked Image]

Well I'm going to quit my ranting.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 12:55 AM

Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
mad mad mad This is why I am boycotting the prequel's. They destroy the film. Just because of adding him in I am no longer buying the boxed set. I will be just fine with my VHS boxed set with the ORIGINAL films. Not this crap. It's a travesty and makes me lose my remaining respect for Lucas, which I didn't lose when I saw Episode 1. (Never bothered to go to Ep. 2, since episode "1" sucked so horribly.)

I think Lucas is destroying the franchise which he created. He should be proud of what he made, not go off and destroy it with his delusional vision's of making the film "better". Star Wars was (sadly I cannot say is ohwell ) a 20th century classic, and now it's a little sick joke. I beleive the generation's of movie goer's ahead of us will not even bother to waste their time with such crap, because they never knew what the movie used to be. They will never know it was actually at one time GOOD. [Linked Image]

Great Rant LLC.

All I know is that if Speilberg's bitch, George Lucas messes with these films, I will doycott Star Wars.

IMAGINE IF THEY CHANGED "SCHINDLER's LIST"! That's a sin right there. God would send the to hell.
Posted By: Don Pope

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 01:32 AM

Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:

If you read my post before yours in my paragraph it says that thats a wishlist. The DVD release is just the special edition ones from 97.
Posted By: Michael/Corleone

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 02:08 AM

David Prowse was the guy inside the Darth Vader costume, he was the one moving and swinging the lightsaber, while Sebastian Shaw was the one who, in Return of the Jedi joined Yoda the Green Monster and Obi-Wan to stare in a stalkerish way at Luke. David Prowse: Vader in the inside, Sebastian Shaw, Anakin on the outside.
Posted By: Bella Mafia UK

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 09:22 AM

Apparently the reason GL has made alterations to Episodes 4-6 on DVD is to make the whole series more consistent - he apparently wants it to be a continuous work flowing from Episode 1-6 rather than the original 3 films being one thing, and the newer 3 films being separate.

He's changed some of the music and effects in Episodes 4-6 to tie in closer to Episodes 1-3.

Also, in Episode 3 ("Revenge of the Sith"), you see that Anakin and Padme have twin babies BUT it is not spelled out to the audience that they are Luke and Leia....this is so that future audiences who have never watched the films before can watch the series of films in chronological order from Episode 1-6 and will not find out that Darth Vader is Luke's dad until Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 03:34 PM

Can you put spoiler warnings? Not everyone has seen the originals tongue

He is still butchering them. Different music, different effects, CGI characters, he's changing EVERYTHING but the plot to me.
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 03:42 PM

Can you put spoiler warnings? Not everyone has seen the originals tongue
Unless you were born yesterday you know that Vader is Lukes father, and if you dont you probably dont have any interest in these films anyway.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 03:42 PM

When I heard the "Imperial March" in Episode 4 (Spec. Ed), I knew this was going to be a butchering.

Lucas is doing to himself and the films what RKO did to Orson Welles and "The Maginificent Ambersons".

They don't help the films. I'd be happy IF IT HELPED THE FILM BE BETER! But obviously, it doesn't help at all!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 07/28/04 03:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I did see the films, but because of being no DVD release. I never saw it since 1997 or 98.

I did know the father part though. wink

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/19/04 01:36 PM

My recent thoughts with the changes to the SE:

I was watching, "When Star Wars Ruled The World" on VH1 last night, and I think that it offers a bit into whether there will be serious changes, and what changes I saw, because they were touting the new DVD and using clips from it.

1.) Lightsabers have been greatly enhanced
2.) More ships have been added to all of the battle scenes
3.) The picture is much more crisp than any previous version I've seen; colors are more vibrant, and the on-screen text (for translations/subtitles) has been changed from previous versions.

What I didn't see were any of the touted changes of Youda being CGI-faced, Sebastian Shaw being removed (or just his eyebrows, for that matter), an Ian McDermid not being inserted in ESB or ANH. No signs of Hayden Christiansen either.

Now, from this, we conclude: Either Lucas specifically asked VH1 for their documentary to exclude any "new" cuts to the DVD SE versions, or there really aren't any of these rumoured changes. I didn't notice them being very careful with their footage, but it is clear that they did not use any of these below scenes for reference to us DVD paranoids. We did however see Yoda briefly on the documentary...and he was definitely not CGI'ed, face or otherwise.

DV sent me these a few days ago, compiling all the digital editing (except the highly touted and rumoured Yoda edits...). The rotoscopes of the lightsaber I can confirm myself.

I still can't believe those screens are ALL real. The first speeder edits look like something I could do with photoshop, not a real huge thing. The most "fake" looking one, if there is one, is the addition of "Ian McDermid" (supposedly) to ESB in the Emperor when he telecommunicates with Vader...the screen looks NOTHING like McDermid, and if that's the final scene, ILM should be embarassed...what a terrible CGI job.

As far as edits to Sebastian Shaw...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

these two scenes still exist.

---

Another theory - they had the guy who played the original voice of Boba Fett on the documentary...which seems strange to me. If I knew that my voice was being removed/replaced, I don't think I would have been on a documentary that is meant to build up the DVD sales, I'd be rather pissed.

This leads me to believe that, while I can't say I'm sure, I certainly think that the amount of edits to these films (from their 1997 SE editions) has been quite exaggerated.

DVD Review

The above review chronicles the supposed changes according to what this guy saw. I'm not sure how reliable this DigitalBits is, but DV sent it to me, and I know how he feels about the changes, so... grin

-DJ
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/19/04 08:54 PM

I don't really care on what changes have been/haven't been made to the original trilogy. I'm just glad it's coming out on DVD finally.

A local Best Buy will be open at midnight Monday the 20th/Tuesday the 21st. in anticipation of this.

And since I get off work at 10:00pm, I'm going straight there after work. cool
Posted By: Blake

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/19/04 09:45 PM

I'm picking this up in a few days, and pulling an all nighter when I get it. I have always thought the movies were cool, but I was never overly crazy about them. Touch ups I know they added are better light sabers, some better done cg, and some scenes were even re-shot. Check DVD review on www.ign.com for more details.
Posted By: ScarfaceRH

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/20/04 11:24 PM

For those of you getting it tomorrow, could you tell us some of the major changes? I won't be getting it for a while.

I especially want to know about this:
[Linked Image]

Thanks

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/20/04 11:58 PM

Episode IV: A New Hope

Lots of matte lines removed. The space under Luke's speeder looks much more realistic.

R2D2's blue parts are much cleaner and more consistent.

The 1997 animation added to the entrance to Mos Eisley is much smoother.

Greedo and Han shoot at the same time, and Han's dodge is far more realistic.

Jabba has been retexturized and looks considerably better. Han still walks on his tail, but it's much smoother.

The lettering on various Death Star panels are written in Aurebesh rather than English.

The matte-painted hall in Leia's detention block looks much more realistic.

Lightsabers look much better. Colors are far brighter and the blades are more defined.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor instead of that near-fossil they had.

The conversations between Vader and Palpatine has a few new lines. Palpatine knows that Luke is Vader's son.

Light sabers are again fixed, making them more consistent.

Temuera Morrison does the voice of Boba Fett

Luke's inane scream when he jumps to escape Vader on Cloud City is gone. And there was much rejoicing.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Like the other two, the light sabers are fixed.

The Rancor looks considerably better, with its matte lines removed.

When Vader's helmet is removed, his eyebrows are gone and his eyes are recolored to match Hayden's.

Celebrations on Naboo, Coruscant and one other planet, where a statue is toppled right before we see the celebration with the ewoks.

Perhaps this was in the 1997 special editions, but in the various background shots of the new Death Star, its appearance changes and you can see progress as the station takes shape.

Hayden Christensen replaces Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's ghost. Lucas explains this in the commentary, which is spoilerish for Episode III.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 07:24 AM

Why did they add "A New Hope" to the Star Wars name? Does any one know when episode III is coming out?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 10:49 AM

Why did they add "A New Hope" to the Star Wars name? Does any one know when episode III is coming out?
They renamed it, "Episode IV: A New Hope," because at the time, it was just called "Star Wars" and he wasn't sure of a sequel. When he realized "The Empire Strikes Back" was actually going into production, he prompted fixed the first films title as it appears today.

As for Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith, it is going to be released May 25th, 2005 as I recall, the same day the original Star Wars came out in 1977. wink

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 07:57 PM

Ok they are using this Hayden Christensen guy for the ghost scene correct? Does this mean he will be playing Anikan in episode III? Why not keep the guy they used in episode II?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 07:59 PM

Did anyone get it yet? How do yoyu like it?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 08:06 PM

Ok they are using this Hayden Christensen guy for the ghost scene correct? Does this mean he will be playing Anikan in episode III? Why not keep the guy they used in episode II?
Hayden Christiensen played Anakin Skywalker in Episode II. This is when Anakin was on the "light side" of the force.

Consequently, for contunuities sake, when Vader dies and his force ghost appears, it makes sense that he is resolved to the point when he was on the side of the light, as he was redeemed by destroying the emperor.

Supposedly on the DVD commentary, Lucas goes into detail, and also dedicates part of the bonus disc to explaining the change.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 08:09 PM

Why not keep the guy they used in episode II?
They are. On the Trilogy DVD bonus disc, there is supposed Epi III sneak peeks...

for now, enjoy this pic I found on Google... wink

[Linked Image]

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 08:23 PM

Double-J, are you buying the dvd today? I am gonna ask my dad for the money. Wish me luck. tongue

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 08:31 PM

[b]Why not keep the guy they used in episode II?
They are. On the Trilogy DVD bonus disc, there is supposed Epi III sneak peeks...

for now, enjoy this pic I found on Google... wink

[Linked Image] [/b]
Ok call me stupid but that pic of him in the ghost scene doesn't look like him in episode II. I guess that's what the dark side of the force does to a person.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/21/04 11:03 PM

I really want to get the DVD set now, but I don't have my car, as my father needs my car since his is in the shop. I can't get to the bank to withdraw money and I can't get a ride to circuit city. I really want this dvd set.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 01:09 AM

I'm not getting it *today*. I pre-ordered from Amazon.com, because they had the lowest price anyplace I saw, and I checked all the local stores.

Hopefully it will ship sometime tonight or tomorrow, and then by this weekend.

Unfortunately, I've got no less than two exams coming up next week, so I won't be watching them until probably NEXT weekend. I've waited this long, so...

Don't worry though, I'll post my review when I watch them...I'll go disc by disc too.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 01:16 AM

I saw it today at Wal-Mart for about $48 I think, can't even remember anymore, and figured I could get a better deal elsewhere.

Amazon has it for $41.99 which is pretty good. My other favorite (and often the cheapest site online), DeepDiscountDVD.com, has it for about the same, $41.88 -- both Amazon and DDDVD have free shipping. Wal-Mart.com has it for $41.88 but they charge $6 for shipping.

Anyone try a local Best Buy or Target or anything yet?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 01:20 AM

PS If any of you want me to keep talking to you, do not get the lameass Full Screen version in the gold box. The Widescreen version is in the silver box.

I never buy Full Screen versions (given the choice), but have twice: 1) Scarface, just to be complete and 2) Jurassic Park (by accident).

However, if you have a small TV, I'll forgive you. This once.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 01:29 AM

Oh yeah...I never buy fullscreen, even though I don't have a widescreen TV. Mainly because I know someday I will upgrade (probably after I'm out of college and I have a real job, that would be the smart thing to do, eh? :p ), and fullscreen movies look absolutely shit on widescreen TV's.

The only fullscreen movie I own is Spider-Man. Not exactly a cinematic classic; I can deal with that.

But yes, I'm getting the silver/platinum cover Star Wars Trilogy, not the full screen gold one.

Keep talking Geoff.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 01:57 AM

I am acctualy more excited over the release of THX 1138 on DVD.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 02:04 AM

Nah. Star Wars has a much bigger (and deservedly so) fan base and is probably the crown jewel of DVD's...I've been waiting for this release since DVD technology came out.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 02:17 AM

First I need to buy the LOTR trilogy. Then I'll get Star Wars.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 02:21 AM

Quote:
Nah. Star Wars has a much bigger (and deservedly so) fan base and is probably the crown jewel of DVD's...I've been waiting for this release since DVD technology came out.
Yes. Star Wars has a WAY larger fan base but I can survive without the DVD's for now because I have a copy of the Original Trilogy before Georgie Lucas decided to fuck with the films.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 02:51 AM

I got it today from Best Buy for $41.99. I have watched Star Wars and Empire so far. Sound and picture quality are off the charts!!!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 03:22 AM

I just came in the door with my now unwrapped star wars set. I will be up late tonight. I got mine for 60 canadian at future shop.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 10:36 AM

Good news - I checked my order status on UPS...it shipped on the 20th, a day before it was released, which is nice. Even though Amazon estimates delivery on the 28th (what are they smoking?) it's most likely going to come today ( )

So we'll see what happens.

Quote:
I have a copy of the Original Trilogy before Georgie Lucas decided to fuck with the films
I do too, but it's off the TV, really crappy and such. Boycotting Lucas isn't going to get you anywhere. Regardless of how many people thing it's a travesty to meddle with the original prints, it's Lucas' film...not yours, not mine. He created it, and he has the right to do what he wants. And apparently, alot of people like me, agree with him.

His changes are not "earth-shattering" and in fact, only add to the original vision that he had. The only real scene of debate is Han/Greedo, which I will agree on...there was no need to change that at all. However, the Jabba scene in ANH existed, but they replaced it with CGI. The scene already existed.

For the rest, they are cosmetic modifications (lightsabers and such). As far as replacing Sebastien Shaw and using Temmura Morrison's voice-over for Boba Fett, Lucas is stressing continuity. I mean, let's give him a break...as I understand, he explains in depth why he put Hayden Christiansen's face in at the end of Jedi. If he wouldn't have done it, all the people who wanted it in would have bitched up a blue streak as well.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
PS If any of you want me to keep talking to you, do not get the lameass Full Screen version in the gold box. The Widescreen version is in the silver box.

I never buy Full Screen versions (given the choice), but have twice: 1) Scarface, just to be complete and 2) Jurassic Park (by accident).

However, if you have a small TV, I'll forgive you. This once.
Someone explain to me why widescreen is better Thank you

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 06:27 PM

Well, rather than explain it, there's a neat Flash demo you can see here -- you'll see how full frame movies are reformatted for your TV screen which removes almost half of the movie in some cases! Instead of seeing everything as intended by the director, they have to "pan and scan" the widescreen (theater) image so the important parts fit onto the TV screen.

Some people like full frame because it takes up their entire TV screen, doesn't show black bars above and below the movie, and the action is bigger on the screen. And sure, if you have a small TV (less than 32"), the image will be smaller with the widescreen version. But at the risk of not seeing the movie as intended.

Here is the definitive arguement for widescreen.

5-10 years from now most of us will have widescreen HDTV's in our homes. When we do, the widescreen DVD's will fill up those TV's as the full screen versions do now, without taking anything away from the movie. It'll be more like a theater experience. And the full screen DVDs you have will then be the ones to look small cuz they'll have to be cropped on the left and right.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 06:44 PM

I just ordered it on Amazon ($41.99), and ordering it with THX 1138 ($18.89) you get an additional $3 off. So $57.88 for both, and with free shipping, that's not too bad

I was tempted to pay the $4 for regular ("faster") shipping, but figured hell, I waited years for this, what's an extra couple days?

So how was it, Blake??? Or did you fall asleep on us? When I get it, I'm gonna watch all three back-to-back like I did when I got my VHS copies (which I still have to keep, cuz they are the original versions, not the "enhanced" ones from a few years back).

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/22/04 11:06 PM

Okay, I said screw it - when I answered the door for UPS at 2:30 PM ET, I couldn't resist. I had to pop in at least ANH.

So here goes...

DJ's first of three (and probably only) reviews

Star Wars: Episode IV, A New Hope (1977)
Movie Rating: 4.5 out of 5
DVD Rating: 5 of 5

Picture: Wow, I don't understand how you can hate Lucas. He kept the picture fully intact (except the Han scene, which he has greatly reduced in flagrancy and makes it almost back to '77) and improved everything else.

This film looks digital. I mean, to the point where they shot it yesterday. Barely any film artifacts, they got rid of pretty much everything, even I was surprised as to how antiseptic the picture looked. It's better than any film made it the 70's deserves to look.

Very rich colors, and the picture on the whole looks absolutely fantastic. The lightsabers were completely redone, the ships look awesome, and the death star looks better than ever. Everything is crisper, cleaner, and more vibrant. The only error is that Luke's lightsaber, when he's training on the Falcon, has a greenish tint to it. But other than that...you will be knocked off your feet.

Sound: Incredible! The first time I've ever heard it in 5.1 digital sound, it is bloody awesome. I actually have to reposition my subwoofer because it literally shook the wall panel and speakers I have next to it (not related to the home theatre speakers).

I did notice that the sound is a bit...so-so in some spots. It seems to lose it's clarity for a few brief moments, but not enough to bother. Also, they did some cool things, like add echo when Luke and Leia have to jump to the other platform and they are shouting, just little things.

The ships sound awesome. When you hear the TIE come screeching from the left rear and then progress over to the right side, it will blow your mind. Stereo does not do this justice.

Negatives: The only flaws I've seen in this DVD version is something I figured they would fix, and I guess it's annoying me because I notice it so much.

I'm sure most have noticed the "boxes" around ships (you can see this mostly on TIE's) where the area looks slightly lighter or brownish-shaded. It's annoying, and I'm surprised that ILM couldn't fix it for the DVD release.

The only thing I didn't like was the Vader-Kenobi fight, because when the sabers touch, they give off a brief greenish-yellow shock, which I suppose is "realistic" for lightsaber collisions, but it almost detracts from what's happening on the screen.

Other than that though?

If you boycott these DVD's, you are an idiot. You're missing out on films that have been enhanced, not eroded.

Overall Score for DVD: 5 out of 5 (not an average).

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 03:21 AM

Quote:
I just ordered it on Amazon ($41.99), and ordering it with THX 1138 ($18.89) you get an additional $3 off. So $57.88 for both, and with free shipping, that's not too bad

I was tempted to pay the $4 for regular ("faster") shipping, but figured hell, I waited years for this, what's an extra couple days?

So how was it, Blake??? Or did you fall asleep on us? When I get it, I'm gonna watch all three back-to-back like I did when I got my VHS copies (which I still have to keep, cuz they are the original versions, not the "enhanced" ones from a few years back).
Haha, here i am a day later, I love them though! This friday me and my friends are pulling an all nighter so it should be my second one this week. At the future shop here in saskatoon the dvd is on such high demand, they have to reshelve 4 times an hour! How are you guys gonna keep em', in the cases out of the cardboard box or keep them all in the cardboard? I'm torn.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 10:33 AM

Keep 'em in the box, like my GF collection, though I'm reversing the inner box so that the DVD cases have their spines facing outward. Also, I'm trying to figure out how I can keep that little cardboard attatchment that says "widescreen" and has all the specs on it and not block the other thing, the glue didn't hold it very well (that it came with) so I'll have to figure something out.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 12:32 PM

I've decided to keep themin the cardboard box too, like my godfather collection. The only difference is I don't keep my godfather dvds with the rest of my collection. :p

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 07:44 PM

Yeah, my GF collection is the same too. I built a little cabinet for all my DVD's upstairs, but I keep my Star Wars, GF, and Scarface boxes downstairs nestled someplace safe and cozy.
Posted By: SC

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 09:50 PM

I just finished watching the "A New Hope" disk and I was very happy with the way it looked and sounded. Its SO clear, though, that the scene with Han and Jabar shows (too clearly) how Jabar was superimposed.

The audio (through surround-sound) was awesome!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 10:41 PM

Just because they sneak a young darth vader in at the end with obi and yoda, does'nt mean these films are ruined at all! Also check the sneak peek on the bonus disk for episode 3. Kinda spoilerish though. Also I never realised it until now, but luke french kisses his sister!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 10:46 PM

I got the full screen version as a gift from my father today. I still love the set and everything about it. Also, Geoff forgive me, I know better, but my father knows nothing about technology and I watch these movies on my small t.v.'s. One day I'll wide screen editions.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/23/04 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lights:
I got the full screen version as a gift from my father today. I still love the set and everything about it. Also, Geoff forgive me, I know better, but my father knows nothing about technology and I watch these movies on my small t.v.'s. One day I'll wide screen editions.
It's not a matter of Technology. It simple. If a movie is filmed in Widescreen, that how it was ment to be seen. Plain and Simple.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/24/04 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
I just finished watching the "A New Hope" disk and I was very happy with the way it looked and sounded. Its SO clear, though, that the scene with Han and Jabar shows (too clearly) how Jabar was superimposed.
Yeah, but take a look at the 1997 version where the scene was originally added...it is much better in this 2004 edition.

Think about the original scene shot with like a cardboard/puppet thing! That must have been atrocious
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/24/04 04:08 AM

I'm not a Star Wars fan. In fact, before LOTR, I hated these movies more than any other. However, with the release of the original 3 this past Tuesday I decided to barrow my friend's Episodes I & II DVDs. I did enjoy these movies more this time around than the first (I've only seen them twice now). Episode I wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination. However I thought Episode II was better and I'll probably see Episode III when it comes out (just not opening night). When does it open next year? Summer time or what? Also, sometime next week I'm gonna try to treat myself to the original 3 on the DVD transfer & see if I enjoy them more so than I have in the past. Anyways, for all those who hold this box set in such high regard, I hope you enjoy it. If I ever did buy Star Wars on DVD (which is HIGHLY unlikely but just for the sake of argument that I did) I'd probably wait for them to come out with a box set with all 6 episodes. I'm sure they make it once Episode III comes out on DVD.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/24/04 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
However I thought Episode II was better and I'll probably see Episode III when it comes out (just not opening night). When does it open next year? Summer time or what?
It is released on May 22nd (I erroneously stated May 25th before) 2005, to the very day when the original Star Wars (A New Hope) was released in 1977.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/25/04 12:10 AM

Holy Cow! I ordered it from Amazon on Wed afternoon, and just got it via UPS, only 2 days later!!

I'm just pissed that only like an hour ago I told my friends I'd come over... damn! The SW marathon will have to wait!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/25/04 12:22 AM

Quote:
Holy Cow! I ordered it from Amazon on Wed afternoon, and just got it via UPS, only 2 days later!!

I'm just pissed that only like an hour ago I told my friends I'd come over... damn! The SW marathon will have to wait!
Choosing freinds over star wars! Tisk tisk.. :p
Posted By: sicilianspider

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/25/04 01:49 AM

So much prequel or OT bashing going around. I don't see why everyone has to take sides because of generation differences. The sets of trilogies are obviously different and not 100% compatible, but they're unique and fairly well done and I appreciate the stories of both. Additionally, I'm sick of Star Wars fans complaining about Lucas making changes. These are his films, his ideas, and his SW franchise. If it was someone else's work, then the fans would have every right to be annoyed, but he's doing what he sees fit so everyone can enjoy the films. Who knows anyway. Perhaps some time in the future he will release his entire content from the LFL archives to the public on a huge collection of DVDs, including all editions and features.

Maybe not.

On topic, I think that this DVD set is great.. well deserving of the record sales that it has already set.

One of the most interesting changes that I found was the change in the Empire Strikes Back scene with Emperor Palpatine talking to Vader about Luke. I like the idea of having prequel continuity by using Ian McDiarmid, but the dialogue stunned me.

It's pretty neat to see how Vader doesn't know (or pretends not to know that he has a son) and how the emperor informs him about Luke, rather than vice versa. Interesting change.. might clue us in on Episode III.

Definitely a DVD that I'll enjoy.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/25/04 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sicilianspider:

It's pretty neat to see how Vader doesn't know (or pretends not to know that he has a son) and how the emperor informs him about Luke, rather than vice versa. Interesting change.. might clue us in on Episode III.
I have not watched any more than ANH (hopefully tonight I'll have time to pop in ESB in the the home theatre).

But I knew about this change, and although I don't think it links to Epi III much, it does bring continuity missing in the original film. In ROTJ, Obi-Wan tells Luke the something like "The Emperor knew that if Anakin had a son, he would be a threat to him. That is why you were hidden from him, and separated from your sister."

But before that, the Emperor doesn't know...we don't see the Emperor in ANH (did anyone else think when they saw the movie for the very first time Grand Moff Tarkin was like the Emperor or something? I know he mentions how the Emperor dissolved the Senate, but still), and in ESB, we formerly only saw him tell Vader about Skywalker being a new enemy.

I think the addition/continuity fix for that scene was probably the best modification to the films.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/25/04 05:28 PM

I agree.. it does add to the continuity of the two trilogies.

In the original additions, Palpatine says something like "the son of Skywalker must die". This to me is George Lucas just compensating for the "I am your father" bomb to be dropped later in the movie.

In terms of Episode III, I still do think that this is significant in some of the later scenes in the movie. Originally, I had thought that Vader/Anakin would find out about Luke (and not Leia) and Palpatine wouldn't ever see them. Now, Palpatine obviously has to see Luke somehow in Episode III... That might make for a cool scene.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/26/04 12:48 AM

As far as Episode III, we'll have to see. I suspect Palpatine won't see Luke. Most likely, he will learn of Amidala/Padme's death during childbirth, and Anakin (or some informant) will tell him that the child (Leia being hidden brilliantly by Obi-Wan/Yoda) either died, or that Anakin will take care of it (?).

Will be interesting to see.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/26/04 01:41 AM

You're probably right about someone informaing Palpatine. That would make the most sense.

The most interesting thing that I've seen discussed is whether or not Anakin/Vader will let the twins (or just Luke if that's who he knows about) go, out of his last shred of good will. I can picture Vader saying to Obi-Wan something like 'Never show your face again, my old master...'

This would be a really nice lead in to the "You should not have come back" line in ANH.
Posted By: Frankie 5-angels

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/26/04 12:00 PM

Got the SW boxset last week and I love it! Although I do agree that some of the tinkering is annoying, the picture quality is fantastic!

This may seem like a silly question, but why is there no chewie on the cover of the boxset?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/27/04 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankie 5-angels:
This may seem like a silly question, but why is there no chewie on the cover of the boxset?
maybe because he would look weird as a metallic silver 7-foot furball?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/27/04 06:53 AM

I haven't done my marathon yet ( :rolleyes: ) but at least I managed to watch the Bonus Disc tonight. Wow! Great documentary and featurettes!! Very informative, and I was actually "moved" a couple times

Tho, I must say, those vintage trailers really suck. I guess it's the fault of the times, but hell, not one of them moved me at all, nor seemed to grasp the excitement in any of the movies. I was 11 when the first one came out (and yes, I saw it in the theater ) but if I had to rely on that trailor, I never would've wanted to see it! Ahh well...

I think Wednesday night I should have the 6+ hrs to devote to non-stop SW action!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/28/04 11:31 PM

It's been awhile since I seen these movies, can someone refresh my memory and remind me who Palpatine is Many thanks

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 12:10 AM

He's the Emperor.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 01:20 AM

Thanks Nice Guy Eddie

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 03:14 AM

Why did they use James Earl Jones' voice but not him as Vader? I mean, why use his name? Why not just use the guy who played Vader in the Empire (if that's the one where Vader's face is shown). I mean, I know Jones has got that whole commanding voice & stuff, but I guess I just feel bad for the guy for not being on screen.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 03:25 AM

James Earl Jones wasn't in the right condition to play the very active Vader in ESB.

Here's the scenario. Originally, they casted David Prowse to be inside of the Darth Vader suit, walk around, AND do all of the voices, according to the documentary. It turned out that his voice was that of a seven-year-old girl and didn't fit the menacing role of Vader. George Lucas wanted a deeper and darker voice. Since the scenes with Vader walking around were already filmed, they recorded the new dialogue with James Earl Jones and found a good fit.

Rather than taking the trouble to actually put James Earl Jones in the suit for the next two films, they just used David Prowse, since the Vader costume was already custom designed to perfectly fit his body. They continued with the JEJ voiceovers, and added Sebastian Shaw as the old dying Anakin when Luke takes the mask off.

In Episode III, Hayden Christensen had the suit re-fitted for him, but James Earl Jones will come back for one last time to voice the newly-bionic Darth Vader.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 03:40 AM

I know this is a stupid question before I ask it, but I'm just NOW watching all 5 Star Wars movies in order and actually paying attention to them. Anyways, my question is, does Natalie Portman's character in the first 2 Star Wars have any relation/connection to Carrie Fisher's character in the final 3 Star Wars? BTW, I'm starting to get the big picture from the Anakin/Vader & Obi-Wan characters.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 04:39 AM

Natalie Portman plays Padme Amidala. She is originally the Queen of Naboo. Once her term is finished, due to the request of the next queen, she runs for the role of the Naboo Senator in the Galactic Senate. She marries Anakin Skywalker, but dies after a series of events while giving birth to the twins Luke and Leia Skywalker.

Carrie Fisher plays Leia Skywalker, the daugher of Padme Skywalker (aka Natalie Portman) in the trilogy of Episodes IV, V, and VI.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 05:32 AM

OK here's another memory loss question: Does Padme die in epi II or will that take place in epi III? Like I said before it's been awhile since I've watched these. Thanks for the help.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 05:43 AM

At the end of Episode II, Padme is still alive. In the very last scene, we see her marrying Anakin with only the two droids present.

She is confirmed to die in Episode III...

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 05:50 AM

Thanks S.Spider Now I thiink I'm on track. :rolleyes:
Posted By: The Scottish Don

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 08:43 AM

David Prowse played the Green Cross Code man in UK adverts during the 1970s. Also the first ever autograph I got as a kid, shame I don't have it anymore!

Regarding his voice, not sure about it sounding like a seven year old girl. It is, however, the broadest "west country" accent from Southern England you can imagine.

"Oo-ar, I've got a brand new combine harverster"

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 02:28 PM

Oh my goodness, so Luke & Leia are brother & sister?? Wow! Like I said, I'm just NOW paying attention to these movies & trying to piece things together. Even though the first 2 movies haven't been that good (Episode II was pretty good IMO), it's pretty cool to see all of this stuff on screen that we were only told from Episodes IV, V, and VI. Thanks spider, if I think of any more questions, I'll ask you!

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 09/29/04 06:47 PM

The funny thing is that I doubt that George Lucas actually planned for Luke and Leia to be twins, let alone related at all. He seems to make changes to his saga whenever he sees fit another 10 years later...

After ANH and ESB, many people were fans of the Luke and Leia love relationship, with Han being the third wheel. A lot of people went crazy when they found out in ROTJ that Luke and Leia were brother and sister.. especially after the kissing and touching in the previous films.

I guess is still doesn't compare to the Vincent and Mary thing.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/01/04 05:00 PM

Ok Spider I have a question. I watched both the Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi yesterday. SPOILERS why at the end of ROTJ, does Vader die? I mean, he killed the Emperor (to protect his son), but why does Vader die? I mean, Luke only cut off his hand. Now I asked a friend of mine today this same question and he said that because Vader's mask is his life force and when he took it off, he killed himself. But WHY!? END OF SPOILERS Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Daigo Mick Friend

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/01/04 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Ok Spider I have a question. I watched both the Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi yesterday. [b]SPOILERS why at the end of ROTJ, does Vader die? I mean, he killed the Emperor (to protect his son), but why does Vader die? I mean, Luke only cut off his hand. Now I asked a friend of mine today this same question and he said that because Vader's mask is his life force and when he took it off, he killed himself. But WHY!? END OF SPOILERS Thanks for the info! [/b]
Vader would have died if he kept his mask on.
When he took hold of the Emperor he absorded the full power of the Emperor's Force lightning. Right after his body was smoking and he was really laboring with his breathing. The charge more likely shorted out his life support systems in his suit.

He was going to die

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/01/04 05:32 PM

Not only did Vader fight his ass off, he lost his hand (mechanical though it may be), and absorbed the remnants of Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatines force lightning, which DMF pointed out, shorts out his life support systems.

He was going to die either way, imho. The emperor wanted to replace Anakin with his son, and to be turned, Luke would have to have killed Vader anyways. So he was dead meat from the get-go.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/01/04 05:32 PM

I gotcha now. So basically the charge that the Emperor was going to shoot Luke with, Vader took it instead to save Luke even though it meant sacrificing his own life. Right? If so, I've gotcha now! Thanks.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/01/04 05:36 PM

Righto. Vader essentially sacrificed himself, thereby saving his son, and repenting to the light side.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/01/04 06:11 PM

Quote:
and absorbed the remnants of Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatines force lightning,
Although it is Probably true that they are the same it has not been established on film that Sidious/Palps are one in the same. There is a slight chance Sidious and Palps are two seperate entities.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 02:25 AM

Yeah, but I mean everyone knows as of Epi IV that Palpatine is the Emperor, and dissolves the senate. He was the Senates appointed chancellor at the end of II. There's only one Palpatine, and their played by the same guy, Ian McDermid, in all the films.

What, he's got a lookalike running around named Darth Sidious? :p

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daigo Mick Friend:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b] and absorbed the remnants of Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatines force lightning,
Although it is Probably true that they are the same it has not been established on film that Sidious/Palps are one in the same. There is a slight chance Sidious and Palps are two seperate entities. [/b][/quote]Sorry.. that was probably the most popular Star Wars prequel argument, but it has been long since crushed. Alongside with definitive statements from George Lucas and Lucasfilm staff, Darth Sidious and Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine are indeed the same person.

If you are still in need of further proof, please do take a look:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/

On the subject of Vader getting killed.. yeah, he did sacrifice himself for his son essentially by absorbing Palpatine's force lightning and killing the Emperor. If you own ROTJ, you can watch that scene slowly and actually see each individual jolt of lightning hit Vader and see sparks fly off of the armor.

His breathing immediately after he gets hit proves the seriousness of the damage. If you know you're gonna die, why not just go back to the light side and save yourself the trouble of going to 'Force Hell'?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 06:25 AM

Epi. III is called "Revenge of the Sith" right?
What is a Sith?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 03:11 PM

Sith are the evil and dark people who can also use the force much like the Jedi.

The Jedi resort to peace, intelligence, and defense. The Sith fuel their anger and let hatred consume them which lets them attack.

I can't even begin to go in depth about the Sith.. so I suggest you read up on the official Star Wars Sith Page to be enlightened.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sicilianspider:
Sorry.. that was probably the most popular Star Wars prequel argument, but it has been long since crushed. Alongside with definitive statements from George Lucas and Lucasfilm staff, Darth Sidious and Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine are indeed the same person. [/QUOTE]

Like I said, I am probably wrong, but it has not been confirmed on film. There is a slight chance Palps/Sid are two individuals

**WARNING IF YOU GREW UP IN A CAVE SPOILER ALERT**

If someone told you in 1979 that Darth Vader was Luke's Father you would think that person was nuts.

**END OF IF YOU GREW UP IN A CAVE SPOILER ALERT**

Lets see what Eppy III has to say

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 09:17 PM

I can't remember but in Episode 1 wasn't Paps still a chancler in Naboo when we saw Sidious and Maul in the hologram?

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/02/04 09:58 PM

at the beginning of the film, Palpatine is the senator for the naboo system. In the sentate, he's electd supreme chancellor as he persuaded Amidala to place a vote of no confidence in the current chancellor at that time, Valorum. At the end of the film, he's full supreme chancellor and in Episode II, he's granted emergency powers, therefore becoming a dictator. He's a very sly politician and he's loved by many of his fellow senators, that is until he introduces his new dictatorship.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/03/04 04:47 AM

Sorry Daigo Mick Friend, I didn't mean to impose on your personal opinion. There are some fairly interesting theories about Sidious and Palpatine being clones or dark side energy variants.. Some people say that Palpatine is just a normal human being used as a tool by Darth Sidious through the force. Of course everyone is open to believing what they want, but I will expand on what I think...

IMO, they have to be the same. Without some bizarre explanation that would ruin the third film, they just have to be the same person. First, Darth Sidious (in the prequels) and Emperor Palpatine (in the sequels) are both Sith Lords. They're also both really old. It is so ridiculously rare to have two co-existing Sith Lords at once. The rules of the Sith actually state that there can only be two at any given time: a master and an apprentice. Two masters just doesn't pan out.

Also, they both live on Coruscant. We see the dark headquarters of Darth Sidious in TPM, and the rich living quarters of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in AOTC.

Third, Sidious and Palpatine are both masterminds fighting on both sides of the war. The Palpatine part of him controls the Republic. The Sidious part controls the Separatist movement. Palpatine/Sidious orders Dooku to create the Separatist army while the Clones are also ordered for the Republic (presumably also by Dooku). Palpatine/Sidious lets the war progress, then naturally, he emerges on the victorious side, the Republic. He refuses to relieve himself of the emergency powers granted to him and transforms the peaceful Republic into his Galactic Empire, with Anakin/Vader right at his side.

Just the nature of Star Wars shows how important double identities are. Obi-Wan is also Ben Kenobi. Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader. Count Dooku is Darth Tyranus and possible also Sifo-Dyas. I find no difficulty in all believing that Palpatine is Sidious.

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/03/04 08:19 PM

Can someone provide me with a link so I can find the answers to some ?'s about the trilogy and the prequels? So I don't have to keep bugging you guys. Thanks

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/03/04 08:40 PM

The best source of information so far would easily be the Official Star Wars Databank:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/category/

Re: A DVD from a galaxy far, far away... - 10/03/04 08:46 PM

Thanks S.Spider
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET