Home

Questions about Calabrese immigrants

Posted By: Italianheritage

Questions about Calabrese immigrants - 06/01/14 01:28 PM

Does anyone know where in the United States most Italian immigrants from Calabria settled besides NYC?

I know a lot wound up and settled in PA both in the NE and in Western PA around PGH, and in nearby WV and OH; but what attracted them to the areas, what sort of work did they do, and what made them stay there instead of going to a large city like PGH/PHL or NYC?

Was it the factories/industry, coal mining, or something else?

Re: Questions about Calabrese immigrants - 06/01/14 01:40 PM

Also does anyone have any book titles about Calabrian immigrants in Western PA (PGH and nearby surrounding areas-not north like Erie), Ohio, or WV?

I want to find a book about this for my grandmother since she will love reading it.

Re: Questions about Calabrese immigrants - 06/02/14 01:21 AM

Anyone have any info about this subject? Or book titles?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Questions about Calabrese immigrants - 06/02/14 01:58 AM

My grandfather came from Calabria, and ended at the shore town of Asbury Park, NJ, in a then-Italian (until the late 70s/early 80s) neighborhood later made famous by Bruce Springsteen. I know that doesn't help you at all, just sorry I can't help with the areas you're talking about....
Posted By: dominic_calabrese

Re: Questions about Calabrese immigrants - 06/02/14 03:19 AM

My grandparents came from Calabria, the hills above Tropea, the villages of Caria and Brattiro, and most family members after emigration settled either in Ambler, PA, just outside of Philadelphia, or else in Utica, NY . . . .

Re: Questions about Calabrese immigrants - 06/02/14 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dominic_calabrese
My grandparents came from Calabria, the hills above Tropea, the villages of Caria and Brattiro, and most family members after emigration settled either in Ambler, PA, just outside of Philadelphia, or else in Utica, NY . . . .

I am from PHL and yes there are a lot of Calabrese-Americans here. I grew up with them in school, had them as friends, and as neighbors.

But in my main post I'm wondering mainly about western PA and the nearby surrounding states, and not Eastern PA/NJ/NYC or upstate NY.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET