Home

Mount Rushmore

Posted By: klydon1

Mount Rushmore - 10/12/13 04:31 PM

Someone asked me yesterday what my Mount Rushmore would be for a American authors, meaning, of course, the four best or favorite. So, as a respite from the talk about politics, government, etc. I pose the same topic to everyone for general discussion.

Somebody else then can put forth another topic.
Posted By: SC

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/12/13 06:11 PM

Good idea for a topic!

I think there are two MUSTS for the monument; Mark Twain and Edgar Allan Poe. IMO no list would be complete without them.

The other two would be hard to pick. Do we include poets and playwrights? If so, I'd go with Tennessee Williams and Robert Frost.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/12/13 06:20 PM

Wow! My Rushmore would be quite extensive. I'm thinking Bruce Catton for his multi-volume work about the Civil War culminating with A Stillness at Appomattox. Certainly Twain and Poe should be there.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/12/13 06:39 PM

Kly,

At first glance I thought you were asking which Presidents WE'D choose to be a Rushmore. I was thinking oh boy another potential hate lol wink This is much better.

Anyway, I don't read a lot of books anymore, so let me think..

I for sure agree with Poe & Twain...channeling back to my high school mandatory reading maybe John Steinbeck?? I also like Tennessee Williams IF he counts.

TIS
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/12/13 07:34 PM

Hemingway. And Puzo? grin
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/12/13 08:53 PM

Interesting topic.

Mark Twain, definitely. If we're talking quality and not quality/quantity, I'd say Harper Lee. And certainly F. Scott Fitzgerald (IMO).

I might be inclined to consider poets separately, though. But, with someone like Poe (and others), it becomes a bit difficult.

So many choices, so little room on the side of the mountain!

Signor V.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 12:44 AM

I agree that Poe and Twain are a must. Those two dudes have probably taken up more of my reading time than any other author (besides Charles Dickens, but he's not American, and so doesn't count in this topic).

The remaining two spots are much more difficult. Twain and Poe are in a class of their own, so that wasn't a difficult choice. I think I would put Stephen King up there because I've loved most everything I've read from him. I think Hunter S. Thompson would be my fourth.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 01:07 AM

Twain, Poe, Hemingway and Steinbeck. Although I like Grisham and Elmore Leonard . lol
Posted By: SC

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: XDCX
I think I would put Stephen King up there because I've loved most everything I've read from him.

I was thinking of King, too. He's the 20th century's answer to Edgar Allan Poe.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 01:33 AM

Definitely would go with Twain and Fitzgerald. I would have a hard time deciding on the other two spots. Steinbeck, Frost, Hemingway, Poe, Dickinson - they're all worthy contenders.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
I think I would put Stephen King up there because I've loved most everything I've read from him.

And then again, there's Ray Bradbury...

Signor V.

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

I was thinking King as well. Didn't know if he was to "modern". LOL

smile

TIS
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 01:23 PM

Twain, Fitzgerald, Poe, Hemingway

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 03:12 PM

When I was in high school I always liked reading Poe and enjoyed watching those that were made into movies. (Fall of the House of Usher comes to mind).

I also remember reading Shakespeare plays in which many in class would have certain parts to read. Didn't mind, depending on the play, but not always an easy read if you ask me. For some reason (and I don't know the author) "Teahouse of the August Moon" comes to mind. We had to read that as well. I think I saw the movie instead. smile

Do they still have literature classes in high school btw? Ok, sorry if I'm off topic.

TIS

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 04:11 PM

Noone has mentioned the giants: Jacqueline Susann and Jackie Collins.

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

Actually I thought of them, but didn't know if they were too "chick-type authors" (so to speak). lol If we are going there, then what about Danielle Steele? wink

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 05:59 PM

Shouldn't Literary Rushmore only be open to men? uhwhat (boo-hiss, WTF, chauvinist pig,.... a barrage of vegetables are thrown at me...) only kidding. lol
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 06:10 PM

Stephen King for sure should be up there..

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Shouldn't Literary Rushmore only be open to men? uhwhat (boo-hiss, WTF, chauvinist pig,.... a barrage of vegetables are thrown at me...) only kidding. lol

Well, I think it's reasonable to allow some female authors since so many of them enjoy writing about bringing daffodils to their unicorns, running through meadows, and cooking elaborate meals while dressed in gowns and layers of jewelry.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/13/13 10:50 PM

As I do each and every day, Oli. tongue

What about Ayn Rand?? And I did mention Dickinson in my post. How about William Faulkner.

Danielle Steel? sick
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/14/13 12:31 PM

Twain, King, Steinbeck and Hemingway for me. I have never read much of Poe so can't judge him and although Harper Lee wrote my favourite book of all time, it was also the only book she ever wrote.

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/14/13 05:23 PM

My four are Hawthorne, Twain, Fitzgerald and Steinbeck. I limited it to novelists for myself. I'm glad SB mentioned Faulkner, who could just as easily make my list too.

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/14/13 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Twain, King, Steinbeck and Hemingway for me. I have never read much of Poe so can't judge him and although Harper Lee wrote my favourite book of all time, it was also the only book she ever wrote.

While I consider The Catcher in the Rye one of the all-time great American novels, J.D. Salinger didn't publish as many substantial works to make my list. But Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenter is as poignant as catcher.

I always thought that Steinbeck's The Winter of Our Discontent was his best novel.

Another author, who deserves consideration in the top four is Edith wharton.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/14/13 05:40 PM

Twain, Poe, Melville, and Whitman.

Re: Mount Rushmore - 10/14/13 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: mustachepete
Twain, Poe, Melville, and Whitman.

Good list, Pete. A lot of Poe and Twain fans on board.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET