Home

The Watch Thread

Posted By: NickyEyes1

The Watch Thread - 08/16/13 08:09 PM

Anyone else a fan of watches on here? If so, what do you own?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/16/13 08:19 PM

Nice, Nicky Boy.

I have three Movados that I've been wearing for years. One black leather, one museum two tone, and one stainless steel. And I also have the Presidential Rolex that my wife gave me for our 20th, but it's too heavy and I usually just wear it to weddings and whatnot.

Oh, and I also have a casual Citizen watch that I knock around with. I think they make a great watch for the money.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/16/13 08:33 PM

Wow a Presidential Rolex would be a sweet gift! I'm a movado fan as well, have a gold museum. I'll have to look into citizen watches. Right now all I have are gold watches and was thinking about getting a silver one.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/16/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
I'll have to look into citizen watches.

Like I said, great watch for the money smile.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/16/13 08:42 PM

I have a few Invictas. Great watches. reasonably priced.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/17/13 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
And I also have the Presidential Rolex that my wife gave me for our 20th, but it's too heavy and I usually just wear it to weddings and whatnot.

...useful as a knuckle-duster, though... lol
I have a jeweled Montreaux, which was given to me when I retired. Only wear it for special occasions. Also a clumsy Fossil with an overly wide leather band tongue Plenty of el cheapos for everyday use. All electronic watches use the same cheap microcircuit to keep time, so the differences are for style and luxury, not accuracy or reliability.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/17/13 02:03 AM

[quote=pizzaboy]Nice, Nicky Boy.
And I also have the Presidential Rolex that my wife gave me for our 20th, but it's too heavy and I usually just wear it to weddings and whatnot.

Te Salut Don Pizza boy!
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/17/13 02:51 AM

LOVE watches. I have two Movados, a couple of Fossils, a Michael Kors, three Marc Jacobs, two Phillipe Starcks, a couple of Wengers, an Anne Klein, a Skagen and a Citizen. I also love to buy watches at flea markets that are designer look alikes that you can pick up for $8 or $10. I have one I bought a couple of years ago in Florida that's a copy of a Cartier design. It's still going strong.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/17/13 04:17 PM

Along with my Movado, I have a seiko, a bulova, and a fossil.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/17/13 05:13 PM

For whatever reason, I've never been into a particular watch and as of late I don't even wear a watch. ohwell Both my kids check the time.......by cell phone (what else?) lol They don't wear watches.

Me, my watch broke and I will likely get another one at some point tho I have no specific brand in mind.

Anyone(probably the ladies) remember the ring/watches? Rings that were actually watches? I still have two. One of mine from the 70s and one that was my mother's from that same time period. Never wear them but I always thought they were kind of neat at the time.

TIS
Posted By: Lou_Para

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/18/13 04:19 PM

I don't know about anyone else,but I could never wear a watch for more than a few months without nicking,scratching,or otherwise damaging it,so I went with El Cheapo ones.Nowadays with smart phones,and clocks virtually everywhere,I don't need a watch to tell the time,so I quit buying twenty dollar Timexes 2 or 3 times a year. I do like the look of a nice watch when I'm dressed up,so maybe I'll spring for something decent,but it will go on when I'm dressing,and come off when I get home.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
LOVE watches. I have two Movados, a couple of Fossils, a Michael Kors, three Marc Jacobs, two Phillipe Starcks, a couple of Wengers, an Anne Klein, a Skagen and a Citizen. I also love to buy watches at flea markets that are designer look alikes that you can pick up for $8 or $10. I have one I bought a couple of years ago in Florida that's a copy of a Cartier design. It's still going strong.

No excuse for being late! lol

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 12:55 AM

I've worn an Eddie Bauer, Swiss Army watch for about 20 years. Funny coicidence; I've never seen the watch on anyone else...except, in November 2000, I was on a train in England and I happen to notice the woman sitting across from me had the same watch. I said, "Nice watch", and I held mine up. She smiled and I asked where she was from. Her reply, Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey. At the time I was living in Suffern, NY, about 15 miles from Hasbrouck Heights. Small world.

I also have a Seiko, self-wind watch that I got in Bermuda on my honeymoon, 43 years ago. Only wear it when the battery dies on the Eddie Bauer.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 01:53 AM

MC, my boss would be happy to tell you that it's unfortunately not the case. So would my husband. He swears that "10 minutes late" should be engraved on my tombstone.
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 02:52 AM

The last time I wore a watch was about 1989. I just don't find them necessary anymore. There's clocks everywhere.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 01:59 PM

I have not worn a watch in years, kept breaking them brawling in bars tongue
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 02:05 PM

Have never worn one.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 02:39 PM

I haven't worn a watch since May, 1998 when I broke a band on a hiking/camping trip. I never wore one regularly, but kept on with me - either on my wrist or on counsel table - during trials because some of the courtrooms had clocks on the back wall, and I didn't want to be seen checking the time.

With cellphones and ubiquitous clocks everywhere today I don't feel the need for a watch.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

You're such a manly man, kind of a British Popeye
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/19/13 10:31 PM

My last watch(which was a cheapie) broke a couple months ago, and at first I was lost without it. I never got around to buying another and now I'm kind of use to not wearing one. On the other hand (or should I say wrist LOL), at least for women, it's kind of nice having a bracelet/watch on your wrist.

smile
TIS

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/20/13 01:19 AM

Yeah right. You worn a watch in the bars because your mum told you to be home by 9pm. She broke your watch by smashing it over your head for coming home late. Well that's what she told me. tongue

I got in the habit of wearing a watch when I was a cable splicer and I had to know when to take lunch and when to quit.
Posted By: dsbaloo

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/20/13 04:13 AM

Just started to appreciate watches.. Guess I'm finally old enough to where they starting catching my eye.. I'm looking to get a rolex submariner here soon as my first watch.
I've come across a few movados my friend had for sale for fairly cheap but I never really liked the style of them, too minimal I feel. Don't get me wrong though, they're nice watches.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/20/13 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dsbaloo
Just started to appreciate watches.. Guess I'm finally old enough to where they starting catching my eye.. I'm looking to get a rolex submariner here soon as my first watch.
I've come across a few movados my friend had for sale for fairly cheap but I never really liked the style of them, too minimal I feel. Don't get me wrong though, they're nice watches.

Same with me. Before I got one I thought they were pointless because of cell phones. But once you get one you appreciate them a lot more and want to get more.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/23/13 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Yeah right. You worn a watch in the bars because your mum told you to be home by 9pm. She broke your watch by smashing it over your head for coming home late. Well that's what she told me. tongue

I got in the habit of wearing a watch when I was a cable splicer and I had to know when to take lunch and when to quit.

Are you my mothers mystery man????

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/23/13 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

You're such a manly man, kind of a British Popeye

Shucks, i'm blushing Babe blush lol
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/23/13 08:22 PM

Never been a watch man myself, just have to look at my mobile if i need to know the time..

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/23/13 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Never been a watch man myself, just have to look at my mobile if i need to know the time..

I think its a generational thing; like reading the newspaper.

Re: The Watch Thread - 08/25/13 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

I think its a generational thing; like reading the newspaper.

And actually talking to other people?? Not just walking round with ear phones in and staring at your mobile phone.....

Jeez I must be getting old tongue
Posted By: PaulieV1971

Re: The Watch Thread - 09/08/13 02:52 PM

Kind of dated, but still my go to watch, had the crystal modded with Double antireflective coating.At just the right angle it looks like you can touch the hands.
Posted By: annecatherin

Re: The Watch Thread - 09/10/13 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Anyone else a fan of watches on here? If so, what do you own?

Yup,, I do have a quiet good collection of watches like for everyday I have a different color and of different branded watch, but if I talk about brand then one of my favorite is Rolex, Timex, etc
Posted By: bigboy

Re: The Watch Thread - 09/10/13 04:37 PM

I used to wear an old Seiko divers watch when I was in the military. The beauty of diver watches (For us old farts) IS that they are large, have large numbers which are normally flourescent and we can read them at night in the dark. That watch died around 18 years ago and I got a citizens dive watch which is beat up but still functions fine. For dress I got a TAG/heuer "Sports Elegance ( SEL) model. I saw it years ago in a GQ magazine and fell in love with it until I saw the $2250 price tag. Finally around 10 years ago was able to acquire a a slightly used one at a more affordable price.
Posted By: SgWaue86

Re: The Watch Thread - 09/12/13 09:19 PM

I wear a La Fontana gold and silver. It was a presant from my better half. Its funny cause even when i wear it I still use my phone to check the time.

Re: The Watch Thread - 09/12/13 09:25 PM

Nice watch Paulie. I think a watch is still a lot more convenient than a phone

Re: The Watch Thread - 01/06/14 01:01 AM

Anybody get a new watch for Christmas?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET