Home

Valuable Vinyl

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 02:04 PM

I heard this morning on the radio in an interview with someone from "moneymusic.com", info on valuable records. Today they discussed The Rolling Stones. smile

The most expensive listed is $18,000 for cover of Street Fighting Man. I have most of my old music in Michigan (shared with my sister) and I know I had Street Fighting Man, because it's the flip side of Honky Tonk Woman. I e-mailed my sister to see IF there is still the cover for it. It has to be the cover with a picture of a riot.

Also, I have Beggar's Banquet original LP (which I have to dig out of storage) and will check for the graffiti picture.

Anyway, I probably don't have the right ones, but it's fun to check out. I haven't checked the site itself yet, but will go thru it soon.

smile

TIS

http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2012/08/17/mighty-johns-top-5-most-valuable-rolling-stones-vinyl/

Here's a general top 10 valuable vinyl from the site:

http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07...-at-yard-sales/
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 03:49 PM

Here's the King Daddy of all LPs, Tis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beatles-intr...=item4cf4cf6234

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Here's the King Daddy of all LPs, Tis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beatles-intr...=item4cf4cf6234

I remember that one (though I didn't have it). Wow, can you imagine $125,000? uhwhat Notice at the top the album is in "stereophonic" LOL I DO remember always checking to make sure I would get stereo as opposed to Hi-Fidelity. lol

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Notice at the top the album is in "stereophonic" LOL I DO remember always checking to make sure I would get stereo as opposed to Hi-Fidelity. lol

Me and you are just kids, Tis. Hi-Fidelity is more Turnbull's era tongue grin.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 05:45 PM

I think my SIL actually has that album. It was before they switched to Apple if I'm not mistaken. Hers was played and played often, though, so it's definitely not sealed. She might not even have the cover any longer. She also has an autographed photo of the Beatles. Her dad was a NYC cop and worked security when they appeared at Shea, and he got it for her.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 06:01 PM

I may have mentioned this once before, but I was at a party within the last year where the host, knowing that I like the Beatles, showed me a 'Let It Be' LP, autographed by all four Beatles. He said he actually staked out and waited for Lennon near his NYC apartment, and got him to sign only a month or two before he was killed. He also had a photo of himself with Lennon, who was holding the album. Yoko Ono took the picture.

He actually was invited into George Harrison's estate to get the final autograph in the 90s.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 06:04 PM

What a story, Klyd. Can you imagine that happening today, with all the paparazzi that haunt these people??

We have friends from England who were at the same party with Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach back in the 1970s. My friend is a rather tall woman, and she was leaning with one arm against the wall. She swears that Ringo is so short that he was able to scoot right under her arm!
Posted By: carmela

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I may have mentioned this once before, but I was at a party within the last year where the host, knowing that I like the Beatles, showed me a 'Let It Be' LP, autographed by all four Beatles. He said he actually staked out and waited for Lennon near his NYC apartment, and got him to sign only a month or two before he was killed. He also had a photo of himself with Lennon, who was holding the album. Yoko Ono took the picture.

He actually was invited into George Harrison's estate to get the final autograph in the 90s.

Being an attorney, you may (or not) find interesting that my father was a court clerk for the Southern District of NY and his judge (Judge Richard Owen) was the judge who had Lennon's extradition case back in early 70's (73 maybe). He was to determine if Lennon would be extradited back to England or allowed to stay, and of course he ruled in favor of Lennon.
I was a baby and that's how I ended up with an autograph of Lennon made out to me.

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 09:00 PM

Kly, I do remember you telling that story. What a great story about your friend. I guess it pays to stake out a celeb's residence. lol Seriously, what a thrill.

Pretty cool too how you got Lennon's autograph Carmela! smile Ever check to see it's value today?

I could have sworn I had the Begger's Banquet Album here but I couldn't find it. I bought the CD a few years ago and I just can't believe I got rid of the album. confused It probably wasn't the valuable one anyway.

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 09:01 PM

The album that the scumbag Mark Chapman got signed by Lennon on the day of his murder is worth an estimated $525,000.

"Double Fantasy"
John Lennon released the album "Double Fantasy" in 1980. It was an album he created with his wife Yoko Ono contributing half of the songs. He signed a copy of the record for a young man named Mark David Chapman. Five hours later, Chapman assassinated John Lennon. According to Music Stack, this copy of "Double Fantasy" is worth an estimated $525,000.

Read more: Most Valuable Vinyl Records | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7410915_valuable-vinyl-records.html#ixzz23q6pGCjq

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 09:15 PM

DeNiro,

It doesn't seem right that that particular album should be worth so much because we don't think scumbag Chapman's name should be attached to that value, does it? confused

TIS
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 09:17 PM

Sounnds like it may be time to search thru the old man's records, and see if we could make some easy extra $$$$- whistle

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 09:22 PM

FS,

You really never know. There are some instances where it's even more valuable if it's still sealed. That always amazed me cause whenever I purchased an album, I'd play it. confused Plus, understandably, if in good condition they are worth more.

smile
TIS
Posted By: carmela

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/17/12 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Pretty cool too how you got Lennon's autograph Carmela! smile Ever check to see it's value today?

TIS

I did. And I sold it for $1200 on ebay. It had his famous caricature on it and everything, but as I was told, since my dad had it signed to ME, it lowered the value significantly.

My parents have a ton of these old records, but like you mentioned, they are worth much much more if in the original seal. But like you also said...the records were purchased to PLAY. lol
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/18/12 01:43 AM

Surprised no list mentioned "Their Satanic Majesties Request," with the "3D" cover. I still have that one.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/18/12 06:12 AM

I have a bunch of vinyl in the garage -- most of it mine. And most of it mainstream (for the time), but also some limited edition EP's and stuff I should look into.

Was into Psychedelic Furs in the early '80s (and still am today), and when we went to Italy in '85, I found a "500 copies" limited live album in an underground mall in Florence. I snatched it immediately (along with a similar REM album). Would be interested in knowing if they're worth anything.

And Rush, sheesh, my favorite band in high school... I have a few vinyl EPs from them as well. Not to mention a few raw cassette tape live recordings.

I need to get a USB turntable...!
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/18/12 06:35 AM

Yeah there nice to have.

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/18/12 06:45 AM

{to myself: don't spell-police}

[repeating that over and over]

tongue wink
Posted By: scarfacetm

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/19/12 09:18 AM

I know some of those limited pressings are worth money. While not as old and not an album, the "Love Buzz/big Cheese" single that Nirvana put out on Sub Pop which was limited to only 1000 copies usually fetch around 2 grand.

On a side note, we have an Elvis signature because when my dad was younger and Elvis was big, he sent a letter to Elvis, but sent it certified so he had to sign for it. We have it in a scrap book that has that, a couple ticket stubs and a couple flower petals from his funeral.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/19/12 05:57 PM

Carmella, your dad undoubtedly can tell many fascinating stories with experiences as a judge's clerk.

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/20/12 03:55 AM

heres the photo of the elvis signature i was talking about

Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/20/12 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

Thats amazing.. Lucky guy, I have that tattoo on my chest..

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/20/12 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

Thats amazing.. Lucky guy, I have that tattoo on my chest..
We got that in with a ticket from his may 23rd show in rhode island, the 8th annual candle light service booklet and some other odds and ends.

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/20/12 02:07 PM

Very cool SF. I have a letter from Elvis from Graceland (& a Christmas card) from way way back (early 60's maybe). ONLY, it was obviously a standard letter that I'm sure they made thousands of copies of. Still, I have it saved. smile

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/20/12 09:46 PM

plawrence might have had Dylan Freewheelin. I checked my collection...no good.

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/21/12 05:12 AM

All you old fogies!! lol (j/k)

I was a member of the R.E.M. fan club in the early '80s and they used to send me shit all the time, for free -- including an 8x10 of the original band, autographed by each. And other oddball odds and ends (besides the regular newsletters). I must find that stuff!

As for vinyl, I still have everything I ever had, plus everything I acquired from my brothers (one older, one younger). That's a lot of vinyl sitting in my garage. NOT including a few boxes of all my mom's old 78's and 33's (Harry Belafonte, etc). I really need to go thru all that stuff and see if anything's worth anything.

But I know I do have quite a few rare vinyl EPs and live albums, mostly from my generation. I need to get a USB turntable!

Re: Valuable Vinyl - 08/21/12 02:01 PM

Geoff,

Go thru them. You might be sitting on a small fortune. EPs might be worth something and if they are in good shape maybe more.

smile

TIS
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET