Home

Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom

Posted By: dontomasso

Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 06:35 PM

Anyone see the ceremony? What a hoot. Also a great shot in today's NY Times of Dylan shaking hands with his fellow winner former Justice John Paul Stevens. Talk about an 'odd couple.."
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 06:44 PM

Wwhen presenting the Medal of Freedom, the President should have asked him, "How does it feel?"
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 06:56 PM

I did see it. A variety of good people. You can tell Dylan is not comfortable in situations like this. He just seemed nervous. He was, I think, 2nd to last to receive medal, and every time they showed a shot of those "waiting" to receive, he looked nervous. Then again, I guess meeting a President could do that. smile

Strange that he kept his sunglasses on though. confused

TIS

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 07:09 PM

I was somewhat surprised he showed up.
Posted By: SC

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
He just seemed nervous. He was, I think, 2nd to last to receive medal, and every time they showed a shot of those "waiting" to receive, he looked nervous. Then again, I guess meeting a President could do that.

I bet that Obama was more nervous about meeting Dylan. Dylan is a little goofy. I think some of that comes from being in an uncomfortable (for him) social setting. Did you notice how quickly he wanted to get back to his seat after he got his award? Did you notice the "strange" glance Obama gave Dylan at that point?

I've seen Dylan in group videos with other famous people and the others, to a person, always look to Dylan for some sort of guidance or leadership. He never supplies it, though.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
He just seemed nervous. He was, I think, 2nd to last to receive medal, and every time they showed a shot of those "waiting" to receive, he looked nervous. Then again, I guess meeting a President could do that.

I bet that Obama was more nervous about meeting Dylan. Dylan is a little goofy. I think some of that comes from being in an uncomfortable (for him) social setting. Did you notice how quickly he wanted to get back to his seat after he got his award? Did you notice the "strange" glance Obama gave Dylan at that point?

I've seen Dylan in group videos with other famous people and the others, to a person, always look to Dylan for some sort of guidance or leadership. He never supplies it, though.

That could be SC. He is a strange guy. I didn't see any reaction or maybe just a hint of a smile?? lol

FWIW, Two of the many BD songs I like: Blowing in the Wind & Lay Lady Lay come to mind. smile

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Wwhen presenting the Medal of Freedom, the President should have asked him, "How does it feel?"

One of Dylan's early songs has a lyric that goes something like, - even the President stands naked sometimes. Maybe Obama knew the lyric.

Scorcese did a documentary (I think it was Marty), "Back Home Again" (even that I'm vague on that, and I have the DVD), but it goes back to his early years. We might think of him as politically oriented and to the left, but Joan Baez speaks of Bob as only interested in his music and lyrics, not protests or public displays. He wasn't into the peace rallies or protests of the 60's, thus his uncomfortableness. Wonder why he went to the award presentation? Maybe to have some material to write about. I went to a Dylan show about 4 years ago; very aloof, does not interact with the audience, does not talk between songs. Strictly music, but I love his music and history; incredible body of work.
Posted By: JonahPerelman

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 09:45 PM

Having performed for the Pope, Bob's probably not too impressed with Barry.

He is a strange man. Friend of mine grew up in the Hibbing area and used to play with Seth and Jesse when they were kids (Bob still has a farm there). He says Bob just lives pretty much inside his head. Nice, but almost detached. But I've been at some concerts where he tells weird jokes in between songs.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 09:50 PM

What does this award mean?
Posted By: SC

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/30/12 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
What does this award mean?

It's the highest award that the president can hand out. It's usually for civilians who have done a great service to the country.

Re: Dylan Gets Medal Of Freedom - 05/31/12 02:54 PM

The whole presentation was more than weird. First Obama said "Come on up, Bob") then whent hey were reading his list of accomplishments Dylan was rocking back and forth on his feet with a goofy expression on his face.

He is a strange guy, no doubt, and the years of heroin use probably didn't help, but he is a truly great songwriter.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET