Home

True Love

Posted By: Fame

True Love - 06/23/11 03:26 AM

Seriously, what is TRUE love?

Can love be untrue?
What's the difference between "love" and "true love" if indeed there's some difference?

It's just that lately I heard it quite a lot, and then last week I watched "The Princess Bride" with my gf, and they keep saying Westley and Buttercup shared "true love". What makes their love more true than any other couple in love?

Is 'true love' a term used only between couples? can one true love his parents, true love his friends?

I love my gf. She loves me. We love each other. That's the truth. Do we then share true love? if that wasn't true we wouldnt have loved each other in the first place...

So...to sum things up, is "true" no more than an adjective meant to glorify the word "love" or does it actually have some meaning?

Has anyone here loved someone and true loved someone, and perhaps can explain the differences?
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: True Love - 06/23/11 03:47 AM

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing many times myself. I've heard people say true love is unconditional, the purest form of love. It may be that, I really don't know. I've been in love one time in my life, but the whole thing is really confusing to me lol. If you love your girlfriend, that should be good enough.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: True Love - 06/23/11 04:30 AM

You can "love" Chinese food, Mustangs, the Mets, and the girl next door (whether you're dating her or not). But it's not "true love" as a parent should have for their children, or a person should have for their "soul mate" partner.

Sure, one can "love" his (current, #5?) girlfriend. In time you might discover if it's "true" or not (remember, "love is blind" so there's fake true love, if that makes sense ;)) ...and don't confuse love with lust (though they can overlap). So take whatever love you can get/give, and if you're lucky, you might find true love.

That's just my take on it, but I'm no expert. wink
Posted By: Fame

Re: True Love - 06/23/11 02:19 PM

"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to TRULY love and to cherish...."

"I TRULY do!"

Hmmm...if that was the case, we'd have less divorced couples grin

Which reminds me of a few couples who said they share true love, and today they no longer speak to each other...

So true love means the most powerful love out there? one should only express it when this love is "forever and unconditional" ?

I'd say that every love is conditional. Love itself is conditional.

Yes, people love their children no matter what, but for this unconditional love to exist they need to be your children, biological or not, and that's a condition.

When you (romantically) love another woman "unconditionally" you tend to forget the first condition that she has to be woman. A physical matter before anything else. How can this love be called pure then?

Even if you say you love all people no matter what, there's still a condition that they have to be people. That's why love is very much a "conditional" term.

I guess the "purest" form per se, would be between two people who are not related through blood or sexual attraction.

But now I'm getting philosophical and bitchy.

So to sum things up....'true love' is for love what "very good" is for "good".

Higher level.
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: True Love - 06/23/11 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fame
"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to TRULY love and to cherish...."

"I TRULY do!"

Hmmm...if that was the case, we'd have less divorced couples grin

Which reminds me of a few couples who said they share true love, and today they no longer speak to each other...

So true love means the most powerful love out there? one should only express it when this love is "forever and unconditional" ?

I'd say that every love is conditional. Love itself is conditional.

Yes, people love their children no matter what, but for this unconditional love to exist they need to be your children, biological or not, and that's a condition.

When you (romantically) love another woman "unconditionally" you tend to forget the first condition that she has to be woman. A physical matter before anything else. How can this love be called pure then?

Even if you say you love all people no matter what, there's still a condition that they have to be people. That's why love is very much a "conditional" term.

I guess the "purest" form per se, would be between two people who are not related through blood or sexual attraction.

But now I'm getting philosophical and bitchy.

So to sum things up....'true love' is for love what "very good" is for "good".

Higher level.

Well, you bring up a fair point, I guess. But I think you're getting way too deep here. To me unconditional love exists, but it's a rare find. I always envy people who have that.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: True Love - 06/23/11 04:52 PM

True love is something for poets, songwriters and people trying to convince themselves that they are in love. If there is true love, can there be false love? Love is just a four letter word. And as Jesus Christ said, "Love one another as I have loved you."
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: True Love - 06/25/11 03:12 AM

Well some New Yorkers now have the right to do the worst thing one could do to love: Marriage.
Posted By: Mark

Re: True Love - 06/25/11 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Well some New Yorkers now have the right to do the worst thing one could do to love: Marriage.

Gene Simmons?..Is that you?!?! wink
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET