Home

Computer Geek Search....

Posted By: AppleOnYa

Computer Geek Search.... - 11/19/10 06:32 PM

Long story short....

My hard drive crashed, I called Dell who promptly sold me a new one, along with a better memory module. Got everything, including a borrowed XP disc which I'm told I'll need to reload onto computer.

I am extremely wary of attempting to do all this myself, even though people claim it's pretty easy. Verizon would charge me $250.00 to have somebody come. Surely there must be someone out there...am thinking of taking it to Staples unless I can find an 'expert' out there. Been putting feelers out just gotta find someone in my proximity would gladly pay for the service, just not $250!!!

Or...is it really ok to open back pull out old & reinistall new? (Just thining of opening the back makes me nervous...)

Thoughts welcome.

So are insults...as long as they're grounded in reality. grin

Apple
Posted By: SC

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/19/10 06:55 PM

If in doubt, don't do it yourself.

Does your daughter have anyone in her school who could do the job for you?

Also, for the price of a tongue sandwich and a bottle of Stoli, I bet Geoff could be talked into it.

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/19/10 07:01 PM

LOL...actually, JGeoff was one of the first people I thought of when all this started. At an hour & a half travel time though, it is simply too much to ask.

And I'm not sure we have the right kind've tongue up here in Bergen County!!

Actually my niece (age 23) may have a friend that could help. I'm waiting to hear back on that.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/19/10 07:02 PM

It is pretty much as easy as it sounds. PCs are not at all as sensitive to some of the errors users made in the past when attempting to install hardware. I'd give it a try. At worse, it won't work, but it won't damage anything.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/19/10 07:36 PM

Would the geek squad at Best Buy be cheaper?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/19/10 08:37 PM

Is it a laptop or desktop? I'm assuming a laptop would be pretty easy. Didn't Dell give you any instructions?

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 03:21 PM

Hi...it is my desktop that needs the repair. Luckily, my daughter got a laptop for her b'day last year and THAT is what has kept us connected with the outside world.

No actual instructions came w/ the hard drive but Dell cust svc did say to call if I needed assistance. Also I'll look at the manual. Again the resident computer expert at work (who is also one of the company owners) assured me it should be pretty forthright & easy.

Guess I'll start by opening the back and seeing what is there. If it looks like more than I can handle may just wait for help. Gotta start somewhere....!!

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 03:32 PM

Really, Apple, just take a conservative approach and you'll be fine. Just ask yourself: would Sarah Palin retreat from this challenge? Well, at least not until she's half-way through it!
Posted By: SC

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
JGeoff was one of the first people I thought of when all this started. At an hour & a half travel time though, it is simply too much to ask.

Not everyone drives as slow as you.... throw in a case of beer and Geoff can make it there in 45 minutes.

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
... Just ask yourself: would Sarah Palin retreat from this challenge? Well, at least not until she's half-way through it!

lol

Well...if I knew I could make a few million, pay off my bills and get a really bad tv show out of it...I would be most happy to give it a try & quit halfway through!!!

lol

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
.... throw in a case of beer and Geoff can make it there in 45 minutes.

If I new Geoff were coming, I would throw in TWO cases of beer, TWO bottles of Stoli and reimburse him for the gas.

Not for the speeding ticket, though.

And I still couldn't guarantee the quality of tongue that he's probably used to... ohwell

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
... Just ask yourself: would Sarah Palin retreat from this challenge? Well, at least not until she's half-way through it!

lol

Well...if I knew I could make a few million, pay off my bills and get a really bad tv show out of it...I would be most happy to give it a try & quit halfway through!!!

lol

You betcha!

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 05:33 PM

I just took a look at the back of the terminal. NO WAY I'm touching that. Needs a serious dust vacuuming as well.

I called my local Staples, they're having a 50% sale on recovery & technical services. I may still need a recovery cd from the manufacturer as well. Think I'll haul everything over there today.

Unless Geoff is already on the way, in which case I'm off to the liquor store.

Thanks for the input,

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 05:38 PM

Why not just invest in a new CPU? It'll probably come with MS Office.

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 06:15 PM

Thought of that too but have already purchased hard drive & memory. Assuming the repair/restoration are possible I still save several hundred $$$. It's not a good time of year to buy myself a brand new system.

Assuming the repair/restorations can be accomplished (and I don't see why it can't)...this is fine.

But NEXT TIME....

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 08:05 PM

Since we're discussing PCs, does anyone know why this happens or have a solution to it? When I view just about any type of web video, it will stop after a few seconds and then recommence and so on. I just viewed a video of Jackie Evancho and it did the same thing.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 08:21 PM

Is that buffering? Idk.

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/20/10 11:19 PM

.... When I view just about any type of web video, it will stop after a few seconds and then recommence and so on. I just viewed a video of Jackie Evancho and it did the same thing.

That happened alot on mine, too. I figured it had something to do with amt of memory, the computer just didn't seem capable of running some audio/video without interruption. Hopefully that'll change once the thing is serviced.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/21/10 01:09 AM

I'm sure that JG will correct me if I'm wrong, but it has to do with available bandwidth as well.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Computer Geek Search.... - 11/21/10 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I'm sure that JG will correct me if I'm wrong, but it has to do with available bandwidth as well.

Well, yeah... the amount of bandwidth you get is what you pay for. But in 2010 I'd think it'd be enough, regardless....
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET