Home

Where You Live

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Where You Live - 03/10/10 01:04 PM

I found this site interesting. It breaks down communities by such things as crime rate, education, cost of housing, recreation, employment, etc. If you look up where you live, you can find out what you're getting for your taxes.

http://www.usnews.com/money/best-places/to-live/listing/search
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 04:04 PM

Thanks, this is a good site. I was a little surprised to see that a few of the areas in Michigan which I thought were high crime were listed as low crime.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 05:30 PM

Only works for US states.. smile
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 06:18 PM

Great site, Babe.

Originally Posted By: Lilo
I was a little surprised to see that a few of the areas in Michigan which I thought were high crime were listed as low crime.

Lilo, as far as Michigan is concerned, what's "low crime" supposed to mean? tongue lol I think as far as crime rate, using zip code is a far more accurate tool. There are plenty of sites like that online.

My primary residence is in the Bronx, which I don't have to tell you has a pretty high crime rate compared to, say, a midwestern town. BUT, if you use my zip code (which covers part of the Throggs Neck/Country Club section of Bronx), it's one of the lowest in all of New York City, and lower than the national average. There are plenty of reasons, but the chief ones are that the neighborhood consists almost entirely of private homes, so, shockingly, low income housing has never reared it's ugly little head. Now you know I'm liberal, but when you're a homeowner, you never want to hear those three ugly little words (low income housing). Plus, it's one of the only areas in New York City (except for Staten Island) where the subway doesn't run.

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 06:47 PM

The thing that shocked me about Michigan was that Inkster was determined to have a low crime rate. That could just be lazy thinking on my part. Inkster is a relatively undesirable place to live and it's reflected in the housing prices. Usually, though apparently not always, such places have higher than average crime rates.

Ann Arbor, which is the home of U-M The Leaders and the Best grin is a **** of a lot more expensive than Inkster and considered a better place to live by just about anyone but it was shown to have a higher crime rate than Inkster.

If I heard about a shooting or break-in in Inkster I wouldn't be surprised but a shooting in Ann Arbor would be a surprise. But like I said that is evidently just my bias showing. I will do some more research though..

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

Safest areas in England &Wales

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 09:21 PM

What I liked is that it covered all areas that relate to "quality of life", from housing costs to crime rates, cost of living, access to good hospitals, public education, access to quality universities, and so on.

My town had extremely low crime and good public education. It also had access to excellent hospitals and higher education, but the median cost of a house was about $350,000 and the cost of living was 118%. I guess you get what you pay for. ohwell
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 10:51 PM

The City I live in is not even on there.

Re: Where You Live - 03/10/10 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
The City I live in is not even on there.

I would suggest looking for some of the surrounding towns.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Where You Live - 03/11/10 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
My town had extremely low crime and good public education. It also had access to excellent hospitals and higher education, but the median cost of a house was about $350,000 and the cost of living was 118%. I guess you get what you pay for. ohwell

Take out the Palisade Mall and the quality would go up (sorry folks an inside joke. SB and I were practically neighbors a few years ago, but I had to move to lower class neighborhood). tongue

Re: Where You Live - 03/11/10 12:08 AM

If wishing only made it so! I hate that damned hulking mass of concrete hideousness.

Sure, neighbor, yet you never offered your hand in friendship, or an order of veal from Marcello's. tongue Btw, a new place opened up where Carmichael's used to be. It's called Ravi, and the food's excellent.

Re: Where You Live - 03/11/10 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
What I liked is that it covered all areas that relate to "quality of life", from housing costs to crime rates, cost of living, access to good hospitals, public education, access to quality universities, and so on.

$350K is a LOT of money in Michigan. If that is the median price in your town , te salut SB... clap

Re: Where You Live - 03/11/10 02:05 AM

Luckily, I bought my house almost 14 years ago! smile
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Where You Live - 03/11/10 02:11 AM

Interesting site SB. I'm still checking it out, but from that info, I am in a low crime area with average home price $314,000. smile

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Where You Live - 03/11/10 10:14 PM

Thanks Lilo

My home town Nottingham is 2nd to bottom of safest places to live in England. blush
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Where You Live - 03/12/10 01:07 PM

Thanks Lilo

My home town Nottingham is 2nd to bottom of safest places to live in England. blush

Gods. What a dump whistle wink
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET