Home

Al Martino died

Posted By: M.M. Floors

Al Martino died - 10/14/09 08:57 AM

Al Martino, playing Johnny Fontane in the Godfather, died at the age of 82. No further info at the moment.
Posted By: SC

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 09:19 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, MMF.

Apparently his death was NOT expected..
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 09:49 AM

From what I know this man wasn't sick or anything else. Just 'natural cause'...
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 11:50 AM

frown

Singer Al Martino dies at 82
Quote:

By Erik Pedersen – Wed Oct 14, 1:28 am ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Al Martino, a crooner who had several pop hits spanning more than 20 years and played Johnny Fontane in the 1970s "Godfather" movies, died Tuesday at his childhood home in Springfield, Pa. He was 82.

He was born Alfred Cini on October 7, 1927, in South Philadelphia. Encouraged by his boyhood friend Mario Lanza, Martino began his singing career in the late 1940s. His single "Here in My Heart" hit No. 1 in the U.K. in 1952 and stayed on top for a record nine weeks. He performed for Queen Elizabeth at the London Palladium that year. Martino's publicist, Sandy Friedman, said the singer planned to return for an anniversary performance at the Palladium next year.

Martino had a run of chart singles through 1953, but his career stalled with the advent of rock 'n' roll. He caught fire again in 1963 with the Top 5 hit "I Love You Because." It was the first of six consecutive top 40 singles in less than two years, including "I Love You More and More Every Day," which peaked at No. 9 in 1964.

The string of hits propelled a pair of Martino's albums -- "I Love You Because" and "Painted, Tainted Rose" -- into the top 10 in 1963. He also scored a top-10 disc with "A Merry Christmas," which made Billboard's holiday chart for four consecutive years. His last top 10 album was "Spanish Eyes" in 1966, his only certified gold record.

The Italian-American Martino continued to hit the pop charts through the mid-'70s, reaching the top 20 with "To the Door of the Sun (Alle Porte del Sole)" in 1974. But a new audience got to know him as the coddled -- and connected -- heartthrob singer and would-be actor Johnny Fontane, godson of Don Vito Corleone, in the best picture Oscar winners "The Godfather" (1972) and "The Godfather Part II" (1974). He sang "I Have but One Heart (O Marenariello)" during the first film's wedding scene and on its score album "The Love Theme From 'The Godfather.'"

A longtime resident of Beverly Hills, Martino is survived by his wife, Judi; a daughter, Allison; a son, Alfred; a brother, Frank; two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Services are pending.

(Editing by SheriLinden at Reuters)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 02:14 PM

RIP. He was a great part of the trilogy.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 02:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I remember his hits during the 60's. RIP Johnny Fontaine!! frown

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 02:24 PM

"Joh-nee, Joh-nee, canta la canzone, sing a song!"

RIP Al.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 03:20 PM

Shame. One by one, our old friends are gone...

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 04:20 PM

[quote=Sicilian Babe]Shame. One by one, our old friends are gone... [/quote

]

Pacino's the only one left because he always made money for his co-stars.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 04:40 PM

Martino was reputed to have been squeezed by the Mafia early in his career:

http://www.answers.com/topic/al-martino?cat=entertainment

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Martino was reputed to have been squeezed by the Mafia early in his career:

http://www.answers.com/topic/al-martino?cat=entertainment

A nice Italian boy from Philly..... ya think???

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Oh yeah?

Tell that to Robert Duvall tongue lol.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 05:43 PM

I was listening to The Ticket this morning. The hosts discussion of Al Martino's death and The Godfather abounded with ignorance. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 05:49 PM

My sister remarked that if he was 82, then he would have been about 45 when he did the movie. He didn't look that old. He wouldn't have been that younger than Marlon Brando.

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Beth E
He wouldn't have been that younger than Marlon Brando.

Brando was only 47 when they filmed, Bethee. He was only 16 years older than both Pacino and Caan (both born in 1940), 7 years older than Duvall and 3 years older than Martino. They did a GREAT job with makeup.
Posted By: don papa

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 06:08 PM

rest in peace, Johnny Fontaine.

nice to be back at Gangster, BB!
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 06:27 PM

Sad News. ohwell
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Oh yeah?

Tell that to Robert Duvall tongue lol.

you do know that abe vigoda is still alive...i think lol
Posted By: Mark

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 09:28 PM

Yeah...he was let off the hook - for old time's sake. wink
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: Al Martino died - 10/14/09 09:50 PM

I just read this news here on GBB right now. frown
Only couple of days ago I was talking about him with a friend and about his singing career.

Sad news..
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Al Martino died - 10/15/09 10:55 AM

RIP Al
Posted By: DiMaggio68

Re: Al Martino died - 10/15/09 06:57 PM

Al Martino was an Italian-American legend who had a great singing voice. I love his song "I Have But One Heart" and "To Each His Own" that were in the Godfather movies. Another great song he did was "Speak Softly Love," which was originally sang by Andy Williams. But I think Martino's version was much better.
Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Re: Al Martino died - 10/16/09 08:25 PM

What a pity... He was a special singer in GF Trilogy...
Posted By: Ice

Re: Al Martino died - 10/16/09 09:28 PM

RIP. A true crooner.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Al Martino died - 10/18/09 08:28 AM

RIP..
Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead

R.I.P Al Martino - 10/18/09 12:26 PM

I am surprised that no one made a post about Al Martino's death.

Can someone correct me if i am wrong, i as i don't see any posts about him.

Re: R.I.P Al Martino - 10/18/09 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead
Can someone correct me if i am wrong, i as i don't see any posts about him.

There were posts made about him last week.
Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead

Re: R.I.P Al Martino - 10/18/09 01:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up, well it's time for this thread to be put to sleep.

Re: R.I.P Al Martino - 10/18/09 01:06 PM

I'll transfer this to the other (established) thread.
Posted By: Fame

Re: R.I.P Al Martino - 10/19/09 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

frown

JG - If I'm not mistaken, then you mentioned some time ago in another thread that you saw him one night - was it a concert? if so, then how was it? did he talk about the Godfather in between songs? any nice shooting-the-godfather stories? got any cool pics from that show? am I asking WAY too many questions?

Yes I am. Forgive me father for I have sinned.

RIP Al, the MAN with the most famous cheek in the world.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: R.I.P Al Martino - 10/19/09 05:55 AM

Fame, I saw him perform (in concert) in '95, so it was before digital cameras, video, etc. Henny Youngman ("take my wife... please!") was the opening act. He didn't talk between songs, at least not about The Godfather. It was great, tho, cuz I wasn't all that familiar at that point with his non-GF repertoire. Spanish Eyes and a few others just blew me away.

I was wearing my GF cap, and when I went to get his autograph his assistant pointed out my cap to him and he acknowledged it. He signed my program, as well as my CD cover for the GF3 soundtrack. cool

It kills me that I cannot remember any more, but I think it was his son at one point, or someone else that close to him, that almost put us together; but it never happened ohwell
Posted By: Fame

Re: R.I.P Al Martino - 10/19/09 08:08 AM

Thanx for sharing. I bet Henny Youngman was very funny. I'm totally going to check out Martino's albums. Those 50's crooners are the best.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET