Home

Do you still have a landline phone?

Posted By: J Geoff

Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:22 PM

Okay, so, I'm dong my bills and see my Verizon phone bill for my landline (plug-in-the-wall chorded or chordless phone) and it's over $52/month. That's $629/year -- and I hardly ever use it!

I think I just answered my own question, but here goes anyway...

I've had this phone number for many many years. I used to use it for my dialup modem, but haven't needed that in years. It was also my personal line when I lived w/ others years ago. It was also my FAX number (but my FAX machine broke a couple years ago and never bothered to replace it). I kept it because I'd use the number for when businesses asked for a number so they wouldn't bother me on my cell, and as a backup in the case there was no cell coverage, or for 911 (emergency). But mostly I kept it because Reason #1: I've had it forever.

But as each dollar becomes more and more important these days, I wonder if it's really worth it any more? I'm starting to think it's become less and less important. And that $600+ a year would easily pay for a yearly GBB get-together! wink

But at the same time, it's not a LOT of money... I'm freaking paying Comcast cable $181/month ($2,177/year) for my TV and cable modem. But at least that I do use, every minute of the day.

So anyway: Who's dumped their landline phones for just cell service? Any issues/problems I'm not thinking about?

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:24 PM

PS - One thing I love about it, though, is that I can keep voicemail messages indefinitly -- I have some on there from years ago. I can't do that (yet?) with my AT&T (cellular) voicemail... I still am pissed we don't have that feature, I might still have voicemail from Plaw saved. ohwell
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:29 PM

I still have a landline. I have it bundled with FiOS internet(20mbps), and it costs me $77 for both. I'm paying $79 for cable from TWC. That included a DVR, a second digital box, and HDExtra. I no longer have the premium movie channels since I never watch them. My phone only costs me a few extra dollars a month to bundle it with FiOS, so I keep it.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:34 PM

Obviously different systems in the US to the UK but yes we still have our landline. Bill is very low these days because we all use our mobiles/cells. The only person i ring on the the landline is Mother Yogi because she doesn't trust any other type of phone. Of course we get our internet service through our phone company.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
I still have a landline. I have it bundled with FiOS internet(20mbps), and it costs me $77 for both. I'm paying $79 for cable from TWC.
How do you not have FiOS TV service?? confused

Yeah, my cable bill is annoying, too - I have HBO and Showtime, and don't really watch them much (if anything, only On-Demand -- but with Netflix, not so much any more). My friend said he tried to lower his cable bill, and it was just a negligible savings to remove the pay channels. In fact, I could have *every* channel for only like $10 more, but to save any significant amount, I'd have to drop all the digital channels, and that I can't do... ohwell

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:46 PM

I have FIOS as well, Geoff. I love it. I have my landline bundled with it and am very satisfied with the price. It's negligible when it's all bundled together, and going from separate landline/cell/internet/cable to one company that handles it all saved us significantly. Plus, the reception on the cable is certainly better.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 07:52 PM

I haven't had a home phone since I moved into my condo in 2003. I used to have a home phone when I lived in apartments because we needed it for the buzzer to let people in. I just got the barest of plans and only had to pay $15 - $20 a month.

Since I've gone cell phone only, I can't remember any moments except for maybe one or two times when I thought "I wish I had a landline."

You can probably guess which side of the debate I'm on...

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
I still have a landline. I have it bundled with FiOS internet(20mbps), and it costs me $77 for both. I'm paying $79 for cable from TWC.
How do you not have FiOS TV service?? confused

I've had FiOS since before they offered TV. It would be cheaper if I added TV, and dumped TWC, but FiOS does not offer some of the local sports channels like MSG, etc, in HD.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 08:08 PM

I wouldn't have a problem if the landline was bundled in for a negligible fee (certainly a lot less than $52/month!), but we don't have FiOS here yet ( rolleyes ). But watch, the day after I drop my phone number they'll come out with it! lol
Posted By: SC

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 08:20 PM

Check with Radio Shack.... they have a plan with a VOIP. You basically plug your phone into your pc (the pc has to be kept on 24 hours/day) and it's only like $20/month for unlimited calling. You should be able to keep your old phone number for a one-time porting charge of about $40.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 08:25 PM

VoIP ... I have been meaning to check out Skype, regardless. I'll look into it, thanks. What're the odds VoIP and Cell service would both be down during an emergency... (in general, not just *my* odds! lol )
Posted By: SC

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 08:31 PM

I wanna get Skype, too.

I guess it'd be more likely that VOIP would go down than having your cell service go down. I may lose my internet service a few times a year but I think my cell service was lost only once in the last three years. I think it'd take more of an emergency (on a larger scale) to take down cell service.

Using the big blackout a few years back as an example... obviously everyone lost tv and internet service because there was no power. My landline phone still worked (but only the one corded phone I have - my cordless phones didn't) and my cell service still worked (even if it was a little slow because EVERYONE was using the service at one time).

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 08:48 PM

The only time I've ever lost cell service was on September 11th. As for the landline, Geoff, Comcast doesn't offer a triple play with cable/internet/phone???

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Comcast doesn't offer a triple play with cable/internet/phone???

That IS another option... it's just the thought of paying them even more per month, I must've blocked it out! lol ...but yeah, $25-30 more to Comcast is better than $52 to Verizon, so yeah... I'll look into both that and Skype and see what seems to be best for me. Thanks, Babe smile

Edit: Then again, Skype is looking pretty good at $2.95/month for unlimited US/Canada calls 24/7... but still gotta read the fine print... wink

Edit: Skype doesn't offer 911 emergency service... and I'm not sure if you can port your phone # yet...

Posted By: svsg

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 09:04 PM

I have had only cellphone for nearly 3.5 years now. Never had a need for landline.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 09:07 PM

I threatened to leave TWC to get FiOS TV, and they took $15 a month off my bill. wink They offered to take another 5% off if I agreed to lock-in for a full year, but I declined.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 09:10 PM

I threatened to leave TWC to get FiOS TV, and they took $15 a month off my bill. wink They offered to take another 5% off if I agreed to lock-in for a full year, but I declined.
grin

When FiOS comes to town I'll try the same thing... wink
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/03/09 11:57 PM

Yes, I still have a landline. My job requires me to be oncall 24-7. My cell phone is only for emergencies or special people so landline is how work associates can reach me if need be.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 12:01 AM

I no longer have a landline phone, got rid of it 5-6 years ago haven't looked back.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 12:02 AM

I still have a landline too. I am so often by a phone, either at work or at home, that I don't use my cell that often. I would consider getting a cell only, but I don't feel that they are perfected enough. Many times, even where I live, I have to go outside to get a signal, or if my daughter calls me from the road on her cell and we lose contact and get disconnected as she travels through certain areas. rolleyes

I think, however, it's only a matter of time that the cell will be perfected and I can't see then, ever having a landline again.

TIS
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 02:25 AM

I haven't had a landline phone in years.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 02:28 AM

I think those of us, who are older, have a harder time surrendering a landline because it's always been a vital part of our existence. I always thought of the cell phone as a leash although it's a necessity. If I'm going out for a while, I like leaving it behind.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 02:29 AM

I don't have a cell and I never will. It's a concession to progress (if it's that) that I will not make. My wife and kids think I'm nuts, but all a cell phone does is tie you down to another machine. What did we do before cell phones? Simple. We did without. Our lives still went on just as now except we didn't have this little machine harrassing us. When I'm gone you can pry my landline phone from my cold, dead hand.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 02:32 AM

Klyd, I agree that it's probably generational. Of my nieces and nephews, only one has a landline, and they only got that when they had a baby, more for emergency uses than anything else.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Klyd, I agree that it's probably generational. Of my nieces and nephews, only one has a landline, and they only got that when they had a baby, more for emergency uses than anything else.

My brother in law found a dial-up phone from the 1970s and installed it in his garage, and his kids, who send texts,emails, photos and videos and music with their cell phones, had no idea how to use the dial up. crazy

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
I don't have a cell and I never will. It's a concession to progress (if it's that) that I will not make. My wife and kids think I'm nuts, but all a cell phone does is tie you down to another machine.

Add me to the list of people who think you're nuts, too! tongue

First off, I agreed 100% with what you're saying, until I finally caved in '96 because I had just gotten a job in the city (1.5 hrs away) and thought it'd be handy since I was taking the bus and never really could tell anyone exactly when I'd be in work, or back home.

Bus late getting into the city? Call work from the bus letting them know.
Bus break down on the way home? Call home and let'm know, so they don't worry.
In your car and get a flat or run out of gas? Call AAA right there and then.
Commuting to work and God forbid a family member has ended up in the ER? Poof, you know about it.
Traveling somewhere and need to ask directions? Poof.
Seen many pay phones lately? No big deal.
NO LONG DISTANCE CHARGES ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES? Good enough reason right there.

Cell phones don't "tie you down" -- don't wanna answer? then don't -- they let you live your life more free with a bigger piece of mind. Chords tie you down, not wireless technology.

It IS progress. Especially now when they're basically mini computers... Need to check sports scores or the weather in another city or get road maps instantaneously without stopping at a gas station -- or for that matter, where to find the nearest gas station? You tell me. tongue

What did we do before cell phones?

What did we do before landlines? tongue
What did we do before cable television?
What did we do before microwave ovens?
What did we do before penicillin?
What did we do before computers and the internet? (ironic you're online, aren't you?)
What did we do before the combustion engine for chrissakes? lol

While landlines are probably a good idea if you're a parent and God forbid you need it in an emergency... how much better access can you have to your childrens' well being than 24/7 access wherever you are, anywhere in the world??

Malta. Out. grin

[/rant] wink
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 11:06 AM

We have a landline but I never use it...
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 02:28 PM

We still have our landline. Like TIS, the cell phone reception in the house isn't that great. Thank God for the cell's cuz when the house phone was dead for a few days we had a back up .

What is fios? I've never heard of that.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 03:39 PM

Yeah Geoff, but the question is What did you do before? You got along quite well. Regardless of who knows, if you're late for work, you're late. Directions? How about getting them before you leave? A flat. Madonne! We've had cars i this country since God knows when and flat tires with them. Are all those cars still sitting byt he side of the road? Someone in the ER? Again, where in the world are you sequestered that noone can call you on a landline phone to tell you? Sports scores? Yes, the emergency sports score need! I have to know right now! I have to know right now! Before all those items you mention, we did quite well.

By the way, tell us about the one time (maybe that much) you didn't answer your cell phone.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 03:51 PM

I swear I will NEVER be one to have a cell phone connected to my ear 24/7. I agree that "before" this wonderful invention, we got along just fine. There is too much dependence on cell phones if you ask me. I'll guess out of every 10 cars you see on the road,, at least seven have a cell or headset on.

The school where I work, the kids can have cells. If they use it during school hours, they get in trouble. I can't tell you how many pissed off parents we get who complain when we take away a cell of a student caught with it in class (we can't ban cells althogether, but can set guidelines as to their use at school). The parents' view is, in case they are sick, or an emergency. We tell them to come to the office in either case and use the office phone.

HOWEVER, how wonderful it is to be able to call someone if you are stranded with car trouble. Or, to call work to say you are going to be late. I would always want a cell, but would never want one glued to my ear. I know I will always have a cell though. smile

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 05:56 PM

As a life long "telephone man", I have a landline. I debated about removing it. My wife spends many hours a day on both the landline and cell. She prefers the landline. The "instrument" (telephone man jargon) has better audio quality and is more comfortable to hold. I like the speakerphone feature. It is particularly helpful when working on the computer and talking at the sametime. I have triple play from Verizon [DSL for Internet, Lanline, Direct TV (no FiOs down here)] My landline is unlimited calling - local and toll for $40 a month.

Regarding Olivant's disdain for cellphones; in principal I agree, but in reality....for some jobs it's a requirement, for convenience it fills a desire. To flat out reject it, well that's like believing that gasoline prices are determined by supply and demand. wink grin

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 06:12 PM

[rant] lol

Oli - What I did before '97 was a pain in the ass, that's what!

My car broke down on the Parkway once and I had to basically sit there waiting interminably for a cop to notice, who then called it in, for another interminable wait for a tow truck, etc.

I ran out of gas downtown once. Probably a mile away from the nearest payphone. Got change?

Someone in the ER? Again, where in the world are you sequestered that noone can call you on a landline phone to tell you? -- How about in your car? Or in a movie theater? Or at the mall? Or at the grocery store? Or at a sporting event or concert? Or basically ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET besides your own home or office? tongue

I almost never answer my cell if I don't recognize the number calling me (if it's not already in my address book); I listen to the message first. I also don't answer it if I don't feel like talking to a particular person, or if I'm busy, or simply if I don't want to.

My parents are both turning 80 this Summer, and aren't in the best of health. I feel comfortable knowing that they can contact me no matter where I am, 24/7. If I had kids, it'd feel the same way.

Listen, I hear you - obviously life existed before technology, and everything "worked" ... and again, I never thought I'd ever need one before I actually got it. (Hell, I never thought I'd need a hard drive to hold more than 200MB at one time, either lol ). But life goes on, it gets better, it evolves.

[/rant]

TIS - I can't stand those earpieces!! I can't imagine EVER walking around like a cyborg with shit in my ear like that! (Hmm, this time I mean it! lol ) As for in the car, I very rarely use my phone -- perhaps to ask a quick question ("I'm on my way, need anything?") or answer a quick question ("Can you pick this up on your way?"). A minute tops usually.

But I HAVE been stuck in long conversations before -- from the house, into the car, driving, to my destination, and still going! lol It's a pain in the ass, but at the same time, I don't find it a lot different than holding some deep conversation with passengers, or chatting on the CB radio (back in the day grin ), or any other mode of communication while driving. Maybe I'm just better at it than some, I don't know... I've been just as engrossed in listening to the radio than listening to a phone call.

But what I do NOT condone is texting while driving! I've tried it. It's NOT safe! lol

Posted By: whisper

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 06:25 PM

I have a Land line, But purely for the internet only. I rarely use it to make calls. I find using my cell phone to be the cheap alternative. Occasionally, when drunk, I'll go nuts and call heaps of cats and run up my bill to a ridiculous amount....

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/04/09 06:52 PM

There are certain changes to our lives that have made it important to have cell phones. First of all, most parents work. I am personally in sales, and I sell commercial real estate. I spend a large portion of my work day either in the car or in large, empty warehouses. If one of my kids was sick or had gotten hurt, the school would not have been able to get hold of me without my cell. My daughter is asthmatic and has had to be taken from school by ambulance to the nearest ER on several occasions. Therefore, I need to make sure that I can be reached 24/7.

People also rarely worked far from their homes years ago. When I was a kid, most of the dads (and the few working moms) worked close to home. That's no longer true. Plus, with the advent of voice mail, it's almost impossible to get hold of someone if they're not at their desk. If my husband is in a meeting, he has no secretary to go get him. If it was an emergency, and I needed to reach him, if it wasn't for the cell, you could forget finding him in some conference room.

There are too many variable today that didn't exist even 10 years ago. If you have dependent children and/or parents, then you should have a cell.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/05/09 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Cell phones don't "tie you down" -- don't wanna answer? then don't -- they let you live your life more free with a bigger piece of mind. Chords tie you down, not wireless technology.

Guitar chords? Or do you mean telephone cords?

I have a cell phone and use it when I need to. I'm not someone who has it glued to my ear at all times or talks during dinner or other annoying things people do.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/05/09 12:21 AM

This discussion about cell phones is so interesting if for no other reason than it reveals how our approach to life has changed. For example, what now constitutes an emergency? Because we now have the ability to reach people almost instantaneously, have we expanded the scope or universe of things that we consider emergencies? I think we have. Many times I think we are really referring to convenience instead of true emergencies.

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/05/09 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
...how our approach to life has changed.

Or in some cases, hasn't changed. tongue lol

Anyway, I'm done. I hope you never find yourself in a position to having wished you had it. Because I can't make my point any clearer.
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/05/09 01:37 AM

We still have a landline phone for the kids to use. Otherwise we would get rid of it. The kids constantly tell us "everyone else has a cell phone!" and we refuse because we talk to all the parents of those kids and it's nothing but trouble, whether it's several broken phones a year or they get in trouble texting during class, etc...
Posted By: ibarramedia

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 04/20/09 07:36 PM

I disabled my land line years ago. Why should i pay extra when my cell phone is what I use when I call or text? It's a different world out there.
Posted By: AngelaMarie

Re: Do you still have a landline phone? - 05/14/09 01:10 AM

I am currently trying to decide if I want to get rid of my land line. I disconnected it when I moved last year to my new apartment, and just used my cell. But the cell sounded just awful in my apartment and I missed the internet at home. So I finally got around to getting landline back plus DSL. A month later, I went to Colorado and lost my cell phone when I returned the car rental. So, I got a new cell phone. This one is GREAT! I can hear anyone, anywhere! I had a friend from France who called me for awhile and I could hear him almost perfectly except for the occassional accent problem!! But I haven't been going online as much lately and I can do it at work anyway, so I'm thinking of saving the $60 per month and just using my cell and going to the cafe when I want to go online at night. As far as cable TV goes I pay $55 per month for about 70 channels (no HBO). I hardly ever watch though....My sister and her hubs have their internet through their cable TV. And she has one of those "blue tooths" and just loves it....sometimes she can't hear me though when shes in the car.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET