Home

Best Pacino Performance

Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead

Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 03:54 AM

Ok i am not sure if this has not been mentioned before, but what film did Al bring his best in?

My honest opinion, Tony Montana was overrated.

His best came in The Godfather Part II, he was robbed and i mean it, Pacino deserved Part II for Michael Corleone.

What are your opinions.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 04:05 AM

#1 GFII
#2 Dog Day Afternoon
#3 Scent of a Woman
Honorable Mention: Serpico
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 05:07 AM

Aside from the obvious, I love his performance in Donnie Brasco. He normally plays the man in charge so it was refreshing to see him play a disrespected character in the lower ranks of the mafia trying to survive and make a name for himself.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 05:40 AM

I still say Scarface was his best performance -- but of course also GF2...
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 05:48 AM

Another honerable mention: All For Justice.

Arthur Kirkland: You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!

Scent Of A Women
Lt. Col. Frank Slade: Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too fuckin' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are... executin' his soul! And why? Because he's not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, FUCK YOU TOO!

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 05:51 AM

I never thought Scarface was a great movie to begin with, and I think it isn't aging well. I thought Pacino's performance was very good, but a little over the top.
Posted By: whisper

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 06:11 AM

Dog Day Afternoon hands down!!!!!!

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 06:15 AM

I agree about Scarface. I enjoy the movie for what it is but very over-the-top. As memorable as his role in the movie was I wouldn't consider it Pacino's best performance, or even in the top 4 or 5.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 06:18 AM

I like the way you describe his Scarface performance. "Memorable, but not nearly his best". That's exactly how I would describe it.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/22/09 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou

#1 GFII
#2 Dog Day Afternoon
#3 Scent of a Woman

Ditto..

Though i love his Donnie Brasco role..

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/23/09 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I still say Scarface was his best performance -- but of course also GF2...

I got into a physical fight with a big Scarface fanatic once, just cause i said that Pacino was better in Part II.
he threatened my family, and we got into a fist fight (nearly about a decade ago).

I do like his performance in Scarface, but for me it was al about

1.The Godfather Part II
2.Dog Day Afternoon
3.Scent Of A Woman

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/23/09 06:28 AM

#1 GFII
#2 Dog Day Afternoon
#3 Scent of a Woman

I agree with you 100%

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/23/09 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Another honerable mention: All For Justice.

Arthur Kirkland: You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!

Scent Of A Women
Lt. Col. Frank Slade: Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too fuckin' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are... executin' his soul! And why? Because he's not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, FUCK YOU TOO!

haha, i like how you made it seem like they were both talking to each other.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/23/09 06:41 AM

No one mentioned The Godfather? eek His performance is great in part 2, no doubt. But his character in the first part undergoes so much of change and he portrays all these phases so convincingly. Dog day is next after these two. Scarface is ridiculous overacting. Scent of a woman approaches that somewhat. GF3 acting is just okay.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/23/09 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: svsg
No one mentioned The Godfather? eek His performance is great in part 2, no doubt. But his character in the first part undergoes so much of change and he portrays all these phases so convincingly. Dog day is next after these two. Scarface is ridiculous overacting. Scent of a woman approaches that somewhat. GF3 acting is just okay.

He was very good in the first one, but his true best came in Part II.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/23/09 11:35 AM

2 words, Tony Montana. I still have a hard time believing that's Al Pacino sometimes.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/24/09 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Irishman12
2 words, Tony Montana. I still have a hard time believing that's Al Pacino sometimes.

That's really cause he looked different (he smoked alot around then)

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/24/09 05:31 AM

I would also say GFI over GFII. His character had the same demeanor throughout the whole second film. I prefer the second film over the first, but for other reasons. I think the changes as Michael in the first film was a much better role.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/24/09 05:38 AM

Didn't the studio want Pachino replaced in GF1 after some of the first scenes were shot (I believe the Best & Co. Department Store scene was the first scene shot), because they didn't like his acting? Personally, I thought his acting was very good, if not a little raw.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/25/09 05:07 PM

Yes. Harlan Lebo says that, after the first two days' shooting, Pacino was convinced "I was out"--and he felt that way until the Louis Restaurant scene was filmed.

For my money: "Dog Day Afternoon" was Al's best.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/25/09 05:43 PM

I agree, TB, although I also loved him in Serpico.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/25/09 07:17 PM

I have Serpico arriving today from netflix. I'll probably get to watch it sometime next week.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/25/09 07:26 PM

No one mentioned The Godfather? eek His performance is great in part 2, no doubt. But his character in the first part undergoes so much of change and he portrays all these phases so convincingly. Dog day is next after these two.

I have to agree with SVSG here in that in GFI Pacino undergoes such a character transformation. Let's not forget that he was a very young actor basically in his first real major motion picture and for someone as young as he was in the industry he did a superb job in morphing the Michael Corleone character as convincingly as he did in GFI

My top five picks starting with the best and going in order are :

GFII
GFI
Scent Of A Woman
Dog Day Afternoon and Scarface are neck and neck for me

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/25/09 10:35 PM

Actually, for me it's a toss-up between GFII and DDA. He was fantastic in both. I really like his early films the best. He was in top form in other films like Serpico and "Justice For All." Scarface isn't my favorite Pacino movie, and although as many say, he's a little "over the top," I still find it fascinating to watch him in it. I think he's great. smile

Not one of his best perhaps, but I would love to see Scarecrow again with Gene Hackman. I don't think I've seen it since it's release in the mid 70's I think. I remember reading after the fact, that part of this was filmed in my hometown, Grand Rapids, MI, which is kind of neat to me. smile

TIS
Posted By: pfaff_luhver

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/26/09 08:21 PM

for me, it's the Godfather series all the way smile

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/27/09 02:56 AM

I have Serpico arriving today from netflix. I'll probably get to watch it sometime next week.

I'd like to read your thoughts on it.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/27/09 02:59 AM

So aside from the same four or five obvious movies, what would you guys mention as his best underrated films? For example, off the top of my head, I thought he was good in The Devil's Advocate, although it's been a long time since I've seen it. It's obviously not his best performance, but still very good. Those are the types of movies I would like to hear.
Posted By: whisper

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/27/09 07:38 AM

As for Underrated movies:

The Devil's Advocate
Panic In Needle Park
Carlito's Way

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/30/09 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Actually, for me it's a toss-up between GFII and DDA. He was fantastic in both. I really like his early films the best. He was in top form in other films like Serpico and "Justice For All." Scarface isn't my favorite Pacino movie, and although as many say, he's a little "over the top," I still find it fascinating to watch him in it. I think he's great. smile

Not one of his best perhaps, but I would love to see Scarecrow again with Gene Hackman. I don't think I've seen it since it's release in the mid 70's I think. I remember reading after the fact, that part of this was filmed in my hometown, Grand Rapids, MI, which is kind of neat to me. smile

TIS

I agree with you TIS, his two best were DDA and PT 2.
I love Scarecrow, as a matter of fact i own it, and i also own a few more rare Pacino films.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/30/09 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
So aside from the same four or five obvious movies, what would you guys mention as his best underrated films? For example, off the top of my head, I thought he was good in The Devil's Advocate, although it's been a long time since I've seen it. It's obviously not his best performance, but still very good. Those are the types of movies I would like to hear.

Underrated films

1. The Panic In Needle Park
2. Glengarry Glen Ross "PATEL, PATEL?!?!?!?!? FUCK YOU"
3. Scarecrow
4. The Devils Advocate
(even though his accent was a bit off in Advocate).
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/30/09 11:03 PM

I'm tempted to say Heat.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 03/30/09 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I'm tempted to say Heat.

Very entertaining movie, but not a special performance. IMO.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 04/02/09 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I'm tempted to say Heat.

Very entertaining movie, but not a special performance. IMO.

You are right Lou.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 04/02/09 07:01 PM

Aside from the obvious ones including but not limited to the GF movies Panic in Needle Park, Dog Day Afternoon and Scent of a Woman, I would say Devil's Advocate and a real sleeper... Merchant of Venice.

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 04/13/09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

I'd like to read your thoughts on it.

Finally got to see it yesterday,

(pasting from FCM),

Serpico
Sidney Lumet English 1973
Story of an honest NewYork cop...

I was listening to the producer's interview in the DVD specials and he mentioned that corruption in police force was kind of surprising/shocking to lot of people back then. Having seen umpteen movies on this theme, the movie had no impact on me (I think that the movie relied heavily upon the shock value). This was Al Pacino's early days, before he went down the path of ridiculous over-the-top acting. He does a good job in presenting a believable character (which was based on a true NY cop). Other supporting roles are nicely done too. The music is mostly inappropriate even though they might be good pieces by themselves (in isolation).
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 04/13/09 08:30 PM

I think it's easy to dismiss Heat as "a good film but not one of Pacino's best performances", an opinion often based on his histrionics. But there's a lot of subtle gestures and nuances going on alongside that all-guns-blazing, gum-chewing action.

If it's not that, it's Donnie Brasco.
Posted By: DiMaggio68

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 08/31/09 03:29 AM

Scent of A Women I'm sure is in the top 10 of the best Pacino movies.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Best Pacino Performance - 09/01/09 04:23 PM

Michael Corleone in GF I and II, Dog Day Afternoon, Scent of a Woman and Merchant of Venice.

I must say I loved his over the top performance in Devil's Advocate.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET