Home

Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants

Posted By: Longneck

Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 01/22/09 12:09 AM

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=056510e3-fc2d-4c24-b422-834cfb48b170&k=9535

Quote:
A baby boy playing with his dad's telephone accidentally called 911, which led police to their house -- and a 500-plant marijuana-growing operation.

Police said Tuesday the incident happened at about 11 a.m. Friday in the 14800 block of Goggs Avenue in White Rock. When White Rock RCMP officers arrived at the rental house, they found the 11-month-old child fiddling with the phone while his 29-year-old dad sat watching television.

"He was surprised to see us," Const. Janelle Canning said. The 911 call was a hang-up call and police had heard no voices. The dad, whose name has not been released, protested that he hadn't called 911 and his son didn't know how to use the phone.

Nevertheless, police checked the place out because of the amount of condensation on the house's windows and found the pot-growing operation in a locked room.

The dad was then arrested and was expected to appear in court in early April on charges of mischief and production of a controlled substance. The child, who Canning described as being a "very cute little boy," was picked up by Ministry of Children and Family Development workers and released into his mom's custody.

She is separated from his father and didn't live at the house. "The mother claimed she had no idea what was going on," Canning said.

"The ministry will continue their investigation to ensure ongoing protection of this child," she added.

Police are especially concerned when children are living in houses used to grow pot. In this case, Canning noted, the child had no access to the locked room. But condensation, which encourages mould growth and the presence of spores in the air, is a health concern. So is the risk of fire from illegal hydro bypasses, though police didn't find a bypass in this particular case. There's also the risk of being targeted for a "grow rip," or robbery.

"There's a whole multitude of problems with having a grow-operation," Canning said. "That's why the ministry was called immediately."

Good thing I'm having a girl? whistle
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana pl - 01/22/09 12:56 AM

wow...thats all i have to say...just wow.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 01/22/09 12:57 AM

My daughter called 911 once by accident when she was about 18 months old. Sure enough, the police showed up at the house. I was terrified when they pulled up, because I thought someone in our family had died.

She had not only called 911, but then left the phone off the hook. When the 911 operator tried to call back and couldn't get through, she dispatched the police. It was actually rather reassuring.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 01/23/09 03:20 PM

Kids grow up so fast these days grin
Posted By: Lompac

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 01/23/09 11:56 PM

The child is now in the "Baby Protection Programme"!
Posted By: whisper

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 01/24/09 03:46 PM

DAMN!!! Being Ratted out by your own baby son. What's the worl coming to?
Posted By: Blake

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 01/24/09 06:04 PM

Damn if it was a meth lab or something that would have been better.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 02/03/09 12:45 AM

The odds of accidentally dialing a 9 followed by a 1 (presuming that the second 1 got dialed due to continuous pressing) is 1 in 100, but kids somehow succeed in doing it smile
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 02/03/09 02:21 PM

Actually, it happens quite often to people making international calls from the US. The international code is "011" and people (me) hit the 9 by accident. The police called me once when I did that and then hung up.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 02/03/09 07:42 PM

Even I have heard of that. India's code is 91 and there are many cities there whose city code starts with 1. So dialing 911 is quite likely in such cases.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Baby boy dials 911, Cops find 500 Marijuana plants - 02/04/09 04:51 PM

Was this at Phelps' house?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET