Home

Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81

Posted By: XDCX

Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 08:07 PM

From CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Iwao Takamoto, the animator who created the cartoon canine Scooby-Doo as well as characters on such shows as "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons," died Monday after suffering a massive coronary, a spokesman said. He was 81.

Takamoto died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he was being treated for respiratory problems, said Gary Miereanu, a spokesman for Warner Bros. Animation.

Takamoto designed Scooby-Doo, his equally famished and cowardly master Shaggy, and their pals Velma, Daphne and Fred in the late 1960s while working at the Hanna-Barbera animation studio.

The Great Dane's name was inspired by an improvised line at the end of Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night."

He also designed the snickering dog Muttley, who was featured in a number of productions, and Astro, the family dog on "The Jetsons." For "The Flintstones," he created the Great Gazoo, a green alien.

Takamoto's death comes exactly three weeks after that of Hanna-Barbera co-founder Joseph Barbera, who was 95; his business partner William Hanna died in 2001.

Takamoto, who was born in Los Angeles in 1925, spent part of World War II in an internment camp, where he received some informal illustration training from fellow Japanese-Americans.

After the war he got a job as an apprentice at Disney Studios, where he worked on such features as "Cinderella" and "Peter Pan." In 1961, he moved to Hanna-Barbera, now a unit of Time Warner Inc. (CNN is also a unit of Time Warner.)

At the time of his death, Takamoto was a vice president at Warner Bros. Animation. He storyboarded the 2005 Tom and Jerry animation short "The Karateguard," and helped design many of the characters in the current series "Krypto the Superdog." He is survived by his wife, Barbara, and two children.

--------------------------------

One of my favorite cartoons of all time, if not my favorite.

RIP
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 08:11 PM

Also one of my fav cartoons as well.thats a great shame RIP
Posted By: SC

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 08:37 PM

Yvonne DeCarlo (Lily Munster on "The Munsters") died yesterday as well.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Yvonne DeCarlo (Lily Munster on "The Munsters") died yesterday as well.

Really? I didn't see anything about that!

You know that she was a very beautiful woman in her day. Just look at her in The Ten Commandments. Beautiful. What a shame. How old was she?

Don Cardi

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 08:45 PM

I thought I saw she was 84. (It was a screen crawl on the local news station). Supposedly from natural causes.

And yes, she was a good lookin' broad in her day.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 09:53 PM

She was a pretty good singer too if I recall correctly. Grandpa, Herman and Lily are all gone now.

Are Morticia and Gomez Addams still around?

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1

Are Morticia and Gomez Addams still around?

John "Gomez" Astin is still alive.

Carolyn "Morticia" Jones died in 1983.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/10/07 11:23 PM

RIP Yvonne

I know she was in a John Wayne movie I can't remember which one though.

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/11/07 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

I know she was in a John Wayne movie I can't remember which one though.

You're thinking of the movie McLintock.

And to add in a little bit of trivia from that movie, what real life famous actor's son played De Carlo's husband in that movie?

Don Cardi
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/11/07 03:49 AM

If I'm not mistaken wouldn't that be John Wayne's son Patrick? I believe he played her son not the husband. He's been in several of his dad's movies.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/11/07 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Just look at her in The Ten Commandments. Beautiful. What a shame. How old was she?

She'd been around since Moses wore shortpants.

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/11/07 08:53 AM

These things always happen in three's, right?

Carlo Ponti, movie director and husband to Sophia Loren died the other day, too.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/15/07 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
These things always happen in three's, right?

Carlo Ponti, movie director and husband to Sophia Loren died the other day, too.

Saddam died too..
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Scooby-Doo creator dead at 81 - 01/15/07 02:38 AM

I would argue that Saddam was a part of the James Brown-Gerald Ford trilogy of misfortune, though.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET