Home

Favorite Christmas Carol or Song

Posted By: klydon1

Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 04:55 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music this season, and began wondering what carol or song is your favorite. While my tastes have changed a little over the years, my favorite carol has not:

O Holy Night.
Posted By: Ice

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 06:25 PM

'Silent Night' and 'Have yourself a merry little christmas'
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 06:26 PM

Nice thread Kly

1. O Holy Night
2. Christmas Shoes
3. The Twelve Days of a Redneck Christmas
4. The Little Drummer Boy
5. All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
6. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
7. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

That's all I can think of now
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 06:49 PM

Good King Wenceslas gets my nod.
Posted By: SC

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 06:53 PM

"Have Yourself a Merry Christmas". I love that line about "if the fates allow". The song was released as part of a Judy Garland movie made during WWII. It talks about the possibility of being together for the holiday, a subject (especially then) that is particularly poignant.

Also, just about ANYTHING by Bing Crosby. His voice was just made for Christmas carols.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 07:35 PM

Silent Night and Drummer Boy

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Also, just about ANYTHING by Bing Crosby. His voice was just made for Christmas carols.

I like it when I hear White Christmas by Bing Crosby on the radio

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Silent Night and Drummer Boy

I am told that when I was 5 and younger, The Little Drummer Boy, sung by the Vienna Boy's Choir, would make me cry. My cousin at that age would always weep to Arrivederce Roma.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 09:18 PM

Does anyone here remember The King Family?? They were this HUGE family that sang, and they used to have different holiday specials on TV in the 1960's. They would just rerun them year after year.

Well, one of the women in the family had a son serving in Vietnam. She sang "I'll Be Home For Christmas" to his photo. While she was singing, they snuck him onstage. The reunion was very touching. Every year, my best friend Kathleen and I would watch the special and say, "I wonder if he'll come home this year?" (being six or so, we had not caught on to the concept of reruns) To this day, every time I hear that song on the radio, I start to cry and think of Mrs. King.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/13/06 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Does anyone here remember The King Family?? They were this HUGE family that sang, and they used to have different holiday specials on TV in the 1960's.

Some of us are too young to remember them.

Actually I do remember them.

My 2 favorite Christmas songs are "Silent Night" and "The First NOEL."

Don Cardi
Posted By: Big Daddy Don

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
"Have Yourself a Merry Christmas". I love that line about "if the fates allow". The song was released as part of a Judy Garland movie made during WWII. It talks about the possibility of being together for the holiday, a subject (especially then) that is particularly poignant.

yo Yo YO .... Big Daddy is in Da House and giving a shout out and a Merry Christmas to all my peeps .....

SC, I laughed when I saw your comment, not only because Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas was listed and is one of my favorites but because of the reason - the verse "if the fates allow" is the exact reason I tell people who ask.

I have known that song all while growing up - there was always Christmas music in my house as a kid, and although I was familiar with that song, I never really paid much attention to it, nor to the words. Kind of a simple song, didn't razz me much. Anyway over 10 years ago, I started teaching myself the piano, took some lessons as a kid never followed up so started teaching myself. Anyway the one song I was learning was this song and in doing so I became a bit more aware of the lyrics and this one in particular hit home. It was only about a week before that my niece than 11 years old was admitted to the hospital with leukemia, and to be honest things did not look good and it was probably just about this time, a few weeks before Christmas. When I was reading the verse, through the years we all will be together, if the fates allowed - it really hit home, and ever since than has remained one of my favorites. And fyi, a happy ending to the story is my niece is doing fine today - she actually died twice in the hospital but they got her back, more heart issues due to the chemo and medicines so she still takes medicines today for her heart but other than that she is A OK.

If anyone ever needs to have perspective put in their lives - visit a children's hosptial cancer floor. It is something you do not, nor can forget.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Daddy Don
Anyway the one song I was learning was this song and in doing so I became a bit more aware of the lyrics and this one in particular hit home. It was only about a week before that my niece than 11 years old was admitted to the hospital with leukemia, and to be honest things did not look good and it was probably just about this time, a few weeks before Christmas. When I was reading the verse, through the years we all will be together, if the fates allowed - it really hit home, and ever since than has remained one of my favorites. And fyi, a happy ending to the story is my niece is doing fine today - she actually died twice in the hospital but they got her back, more heart issues due to the chemo and medicines so she still takes medicines today for her heart but other than that she is A OK.

If anyone ever needs to have perspective put in their lives - visit a children's hosptial cancer floor. It is something you do not, nor can forget.

Wow. May she continue to do well and enjoy many Christmases with her family.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 04:45 AM

Big Daddy -

Thanks for sharing that story with us. To echo Klydon1's words, I too hope that she continues to do well. May God bless her!

And yes, I agree that a visit to a childrens hospital really does make you put life in perspective. You are so right about that.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 09:32 PM

A Marshmallow World, performed by Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra during the Dean Martin Variety Show broadcasted in 1967. Good song and they just make it excellent! (search youtube for "Dean Martin Marshmellow World" and you'll find the recording). It's also available on their album "Christmas with the Rat Pack".

Me and a friend performed this song at our last Winter Concert for school, it was a good time.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 09:40 PM

My personal favorite Christmas tune that's also a prime candidate of hate from the censors:

"Christmas at Ground Zero"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CP3OKWGYE

NOTE - "Ground Zero" refers to the core target zone of a nuclear bomb explosion. The connotation with the phrase is perhaps why some folks are squemish to play it on the radio anymore.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 11:24 PM

"Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses.

"Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

tony b.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/06 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: YoTonyB
"Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses.

"Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

tony b.

Springsteen has another good one called Merry Christmas, Baby.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 12:09 AM

-Happy XMas (War is Over) by John Lennon
-Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney
-Let It Snow by Dean Martin
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 12:16 AM

Happy XMas (War is Over) by John Lennon
Power Of Love-Frankie Goes To Hollyood
Merry Xmas Everyone-Shakin Stevans
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 02:27 AM

I have many, many favorites - probably too many to be listed here.

But, I will name a few.

Often times, I will think of a song or carol because it is forever linked with a particular image, film, television show or play.

Examples: Even though I was quite familiar with Judy Garland singing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, part of me will now always associate it with The Godfather.

Whenever I hear Vince Guaraldi's score for A Charlie Brown Christmas - particularly the opening song - I can't help but get a bit weepy.

Many years ago, there were two brief "spots" that used to air during the Christmas season on our local CBS television station (particularly in the middle of the night). One was animated, done in a very minimalist style - it reminded me a little of the comic strip "Ziggy". Against a pure white snowy background, we saw a large tree, devoid of leaves, with many birds perched it in, chirping away. Into the scene walks a man. He stops by the tree, looks at it for a moment, then takes out a saw. The birds see him and become suddenly quiet. Instead of cutting down the tree, the man begins to play the saw like a violin (or viola), and plays several bars of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. When he finishes, there is a moment of silence, then, one by one, the birds start singing again.

The other spot that I remember was live-action, and very brief (probably no more than 15 seconds). It showed different scenes of little children playing in the snow: running, rolling, on sleds, etc., while on the soundtrack we heard The Little Drummer Boy sung - it sounded like, to me - by a choir. The only word on the screen was Joy.

They aired those for years in this area. I think I remember seeing them from the late 1960s until the early 1980s. I don't know if they aired anywhere else. Wish I had them on tape. I wonder if anyone else remembers them?

Those were the first things that popped into my head. When my head starts popping again, I may post more.

Signor V.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 04:39 AM

My all-time favorite is "Baby, It's Cold Outside". It's so cute. Dean Martin's is good, and Bette Midler and James Caan have a great one too. (From the movie "For The Boys".)

My other favorites--

"White Christmas", because I've never had one, and the feeling of the song is just so nice. And Dean Martin's version is just gorgeous.

"A Marshmallow World", again because it's so cute. I like cute Christmas songs.

I also like Lou Rawls' "Merry Christmas, Baby".

"Oh Holy Night" is also beautiful, probably my favorite from the more traditional ones.
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 04:43 AM

Jingle Bell Rock and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree have been two of my favorites for many years.

I especially enjoy Boogie Woogie Santa Claus by Brian Setzer.

I've been listening to I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas by the Drifters (as heard in Home Alone) all day long, thanks to this cute video that my mom sent me.

Originally Posted By: Tony Love
A Marshmallow World, performed by Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra during the Dean Martin Variety Show broadcasted in 1967. Good song and they just make it excellent! (search youtube for "Dean Martin Marshmellow World" and you'll find the recording). It's also available on their album "Christmas with the Rat Pack".

TL, I have and love "Christmas with the Rat Pack"!

Besides Marshmallow World, I especially like The Christmas Waltz and I Believe.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony Love
A Marshmallow World, performed by Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra during the Dean Martin Variety Show broadcasted in 1967. Good song and they just make it excellent!

Oh I know, they're so great! I love when they start twirling and dancing in the middle of that song. I didn't find it on YouTube... maybe someone spelled something wrong or something? I'll try different spellings later. But yeah, it's fantastic, they're so funny.

Gi, I have that album too, and like you said, I love "I Believe". Also a cute song. What is it with me and cute?
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 06:08 AM

I think I'd have to go with Blue Christmas, as performed my Elvis Presley.

Then again...I'm pretty partial towards The King.

Here's a great video from YouTube of Elvis playing the song live. Man I would have loved to see him live.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 06:41 AM

And of course, let us not forget:

Leroy the Redneck Reindeer

Signor V.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 07:27 AM

"O Come All Ye Faithful" ("Adeste Fideles") is probably my favorite. There's also "Do You Hear What I Hear" which I've loved since childhood, and also I think "O Holy Night" is probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written (even rivaling Ave Maria)...

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

TL, I have and love "Christmas with the Rat Pack"!

Besides Marshmallow World, I especially like The Christmas Waltz and I Believe.

I just picked up "Christmas With The Rat Pack" last week. Love it. I played it so much this week that my kids threatened to hide it until next Christmas unless I gave it a break.

Don Cardi
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 01:49 PM

I have a few favorites. The older traditional:

White Christmas, Winter Wonderland, and probably one of the prettiest carols, "Oh, Holy Night." Every year at work someone brings in a cd player the week before break and we all bring Christmas music. One girl has a Sinatra Christmas album she always brings. I love it.

I also like: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Blue Christmas, I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus (John Mellenkamp), Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Springsteen), oh and one of my very favorites, Happy Christmas, War Is Over (John Lennon).

There are many more but that's all I can think of right now.

TIS

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Many years ago, there were two brief "spots" that used to air during the Christmas season on our local CBS television station (particularly in the middle of the night). One was animated, done in a very minimalist style - it reminded me a little of the comic strip "Ziggy". Against a pure white snowy background, we saw a large tree, devoid of leaves, with many birds perched it in, chirping away. Into the scene walks a man. He stops by the tree, looks at it for a moment, then takes out a saw. The birds see him and become suddenly quiet. Instead of cutting down the tree, the man begins to play the saw like a violin (or viola), and plays several bars of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. When he finishes, there is a moment of silence, then, one by one, the birds start singing again.

Signor V.

I remember that as a kid and had you not mentioned it, I don't think it would have ever surfaced in my memory. That was a pleasant spot.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/06 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Letizia B.
I didn't find it on YouTube... maybe someone spelled something wrong or something? I'll try different spellings later.

I posted the spelling in my original post, here's what to search when you get on youtube, "Dean Martin Marshmellow World". You put an E in mellow instead of an A in mallow.

It's a great Christmas album. I also like the Christmas Waltz, I Believe, Christmas Time All Over the World, Baby it's Cold Outside, and I've Got my Love to Keep me Warm. The whole album's a good one, but those songs are my favorites.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/06 06:11 PM

I love this song. It must be at least 25 years old. "A Soldier's Silent Night".

http://www.tankmastergunner.com/silent%20night.htm
Posted By: Ice

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/06 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
"O Come All Ye Faithful" ("Adeste Fideles") is probably my favorite. There's also "Do You Hear What I Hear" which I've loved since childhood,

ICE: You understand everything.

JG: Bene

[They shake hands, Ice turns to leave]

I had those two in my head last night and could not remember the precise titles. In my top five for sure.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/06 07:44 PM

Another goodie..."The 12 pains of Christmas".

http://www.nearlygood.com/audio/12painsofxmas.html

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/06 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I have a few favorites. The older traditional:

Winter Wonderland,

TIS

A funny little story about that song. Earlier this evening my family and I were driving home from a friends house. I had the radio on and Winter Wonderland came on. In one part of the song is says :

"In a meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend his name is Parson Brown,..."

and my daughter yells out "Who the heck is Parson Brown?" and we all burst out laughing because of the way that she said it.

I looked it up and found out the answer, but I was wondering how many people really know who or what Parson Brown is or means in that song? I know that I didn't before this evening. Pretty interesting as to what it means.

Does anyone know who Parson Brown is when referenced in that song?

Don Cardi
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/06 02:50 AM

I was always under the impression that the reference to Parson Brown was that a parson is a reverend or minister and they must be referring to the local head of their church.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/06 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I was always under the impression that the reference to Parson Brown was that a parson is a reverend or minister and they must be referring to the local head of their church.

Yes SB. It is a reference to a minister or pastor of a church. I never knew that until this evening.

Don Cardi

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/06 03:21 AM

Although I don't know that the word "Parson" is used much these days, I too always understood Parson Brown to be the minister who would perform a wedding ceremony too.

However, when I was very young I wondered if "parson" brown was a shade of brown. Funny color for a snowman!

TIS

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/06 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Yes SB. It is a reference to a minister or pastor of a church. I never knew that until this evening.

Don Cardi

I never knew until this evening that it was Reverend all along.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 01:09 AM

This song always brings a smile to my face: someone in a comedy club singing "Blue Christmas" in Porky Pig's voice.

Not only is the impression dead on, the person laughing in the background makes it all the more funnier.

Porky Pig
Posted By: Sicilian1

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 04:10 AM

Ok I read everyone's favorite Christmas songs, but I don't think I saw anyone mention "Dominick The Italian Christmas Donkey song" which I'm surprised especially on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrdxtWgHbE

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian1
Ok I read everyone's favorite Christmas songs, but I don't think I saw anyone mention "Dominick The Italian Christmas Donkey song" which I'm surprised especially on this forum.

I mentioned it recently in another thread with the Hippopotamos song. ;\)
Posted By: chopper

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:24 PM

At the minute im obssesed with Mariah careys all i want for christmas i have it on repeat for hours
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:33 PM

My favorite is "O Holy Night" - many people do it really well but I am partial to the Perry Como version. I like "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams and Dean Martin singing "Let it Snow".

I have to admit that I get a little choked up when I hear "the Christmas Shoes".

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian1

I mentioned it recently in another thread with the Hippopotamos song. ;\)

That is cute. I'll have to download that one.

Speaking of Hippopotamus:
I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Marco

I have to admit that I get a little choked up when I hear "the Christmas Shoes".

Me too DM. Very touching.

YOU CAN LISTEN TO IT HERE

and here are the lyrics :

The Christmas Shoes

It was almost Christmas time, there I stood in another line
Tryin' to buy that last gift or two, not really in the Christmas mood

Standing right in front of me was a little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing round like little boys do, and in his hands he held a pair of shoes

His clothes were worn and old
He was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy said there's not much time
You see, she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if mama meets Jesus tonight

He counted pennies for what seemed like years
Then the cashier said, "Son, there's not enough here"
He searched his pockets frantically, then he turned and he looked at me

He said, "Mama made Christmas good at our house,
Through most years she did without
Tell me, sir, what am I going to do,
Somehow, I've got to buy her these Christmas shoes."
So I laid the money down
I just had to help him out
I'll never forget the look on his face
When he turned to me and said, "Mama's gonna look so great."

I knew I'd caught a glimpse of heaven's love as he thanked me and ran out

I knew that God had sent that little boy
To remind me what Christmas is all about

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:48 PM

Have you seen the tv movie DC?

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:51 PM

What a way to start the day with a good cry.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Have you seen the tv movie DC?

Oh yes. A heartbreaker. But very touching.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

What a way to start the day with a good cry.

It's good for ya MIG. It cleanses the soul. ;\)
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Happy XMas (War is Over) by John Lennon
Power Of Love-Frankie Goes To Hollyood
Merry Xmas Everyone-Shakin Stevans
Fairy Tale in New York-Pogues
Slade-Merry Xmas Everybody
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 07:00 PM

Christmas Serenade

By Johnny Maestro and the Brooklyn Bridge

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 07:48 PM

It's not a fav but I like it none the less.

Jingle Bell Dogs

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/14/07 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Good King Wenceslas gets my nod.

And it still does..... \:\)

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/15/07 11:46 PM

We play Christmas music the couple weeks before Christmas break and one song I've grown to really like is "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt. You guys know it? It's just cool. \:\)

TIS

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 12:21 AM

I went to a Christmas show last night and boy, let me tell you, it was just outstanding.

The kids that performed in it did such a wonderful job!

There was a couple who did Bocelli / Dion's "The Prayer" and they rocked the house. If you closed your eyes you would have sworn that Bocelli and Dion were singing it.

And this other guy did one of the best renditions of one of my favorite songs, "Oh Holy Night."

But the act that brought silence, tears and then a standing ovation was performed by a little boy and a man...."The Christmas Shoes."

Such an outstanding Christmas show!

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 02:54 AM

"Sleigh Ride" by The Ronettes.
"Do You Hear What I Hear?" by Bing Crosby.
"Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley.
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland.

Turn up the volume and enjoy Garland's singing (link below):

JUDY GARLAND SINGS "HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS"
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 07:41 AM

I too love "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," also "O Holy Night" and "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear."

My gift to all of you is Enya's Oche Chin (Silent Night).

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 03:42 PM

Thank you SC and afsaneh. I enjoyed both.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 06:18 PM

O Holy Night
Do You Hear What I Hear
Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful)

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 06:45 PM

I'm telling you. Had you heard the rendition that I heard the other night at the show, it would have left some impression on you. I loved it so much that I've asked the people that I knew who performed in the show if they could at least get me an audio copy of the show.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 06:50 PM

One of the highlights of Christmas mass is when O Holy Night is sung -- the woman who's been singing there has been doing it since I was a kid, and has an incredible voice. Almost always ends in applause--in church!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 06:54 PM

That song is playing towards the end of 29TH STREET, while Frank (Anthony LaPaglia) is running in the snow, after he gives away the Lotto ticket to save his father. Powerful song. Great movie, too!

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 07:03 PM

I just love this song. Everytime I hear it I get goosebumps. Thanks for posting the link Geoffy. I like Josh Groban's version.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 07:04 PM

Yes, Groban's rendition is definitely one of the best.

I also enjoy CELINE DION'S rendition as well as MARIAH CAREY'S rendition.

It's just a very touching and moving song.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 07:09 PM

Would you happen to know if Bocelli sings this song in english?

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 07:09 PM

Perry Como was one of my favorite singers of all-time. As good as his rendition of this song was, Bing Crosby's was better. I don't know if I associate Crosby with singing "God's music" because of his Father O'Malley roles, but he was MEANT to sing "religious" songs. Listen to his version (link below):

BING CROSBY SINGS "DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?"

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/16/07 07:13 PM

I agree all around SC. Outstanding!

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/17/07 02:54 AM

I never owned this song until recently, but it always has been on the top of my favorite Christmas songs. \:\) I play it a lot this time of year. \:\) Still seems to fit in with today's world.

TIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2YSAVHmIE

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/17/07 04:37 AM

That must have been quite a show, DC. What were the ages of the kids?

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/07 08:04 AM

Here is a link to download the Three Tenors Christmas collection:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/4567302/46408d4f/The_Three_Tenors_-_Christmas.html

Enjoy!

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/07 02:12 PM

I love to hear the kids singing their carols!
It was my daughters last week but my 2 oldest boys have theirs tomorrow night,a special candlelit service(followed by mince pies and sherry for the parents :))
Posted By: Partagas

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/07 05:41 PM

This is one of my favorite versions of "We wish you a Merry Christmas"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2rjvdLgJc&feature=related

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/18/07 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1

That must have been quite a show, DC. What were the ages of the kids?

They ranged from 4 years old into adulthood.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/20/07 07:38 AM

This is especially for SC: \:\)

Frank Sinatra - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/20/07 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
This is especially for SC: \:\)

Thank you afs! One of my favorite Christmas songs by my favorite artist.

Judging by his voice, that particular recording came from the late 1950's or early 60's. Its far from the best rendition of that song but its great to hear Ol' Blue Eyes again.

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/20/07 08:20 AM

You're welcome, I figured you particularly would enjoy this.

It is from this album: Christmas with the Rat Pack. But I've no idea when it was actually recorded for the first time. I trust your expertise on that. ;\)

Re: Favorite Christmas Carol or Song - 12/20/07 08:27 AM

I suspect we all associate the songs with our childhood. The ONE song that always meant Christmas to me as a kid was Bing Crosby's "White Christmas".

I believe it was one of the most popular recordings of all time. Check out the link below to hear Bing's magic:

BING CROSBY'S "WHITE CHRISTMAS"
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET