Home

Is the book worth reading?

Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Is the book worth reading? - 11/24/02 10:56 PM

im a big fan of all three movies and am thinkin of reading the original novel in the near future, but i would appreciate any honest comments on it from anyone who's read it. thanks

mick
Posted By: Silvia Lombardi

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/25/02 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
im a big fan of all three movies and am thinkin of reading the original novel in the near future, but i would appreciate any honest comments on it from anyone who's read it. thanks

mick
Get it, read it, you'll love it! All books r much better then movies.

Sil.
Posted By: Omar Suarez

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/25/02 01:21 AM

I highly reccomend the book. It is well worth the read. Just be warned: there is a part of the book that is pointless and really has nothing to do with the book at all. But still, I love it.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/25/02 05:47 AM

You will find lots of context for things that appear in the film. Plus you'll find lots of interesting side-stories, such as how the Bocchicchio Family got Michael out of Sicily, and how Al Neri came to the attention of Michael.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/25/02 08:10 AM

Absolutely, positively, unquestionably, and without a doubt. By no means is it a "great" book from the standpoint of literature, but its required reading for any fan of the film(s).

And to Silvia Lombardi: All books are NOT necessarily better than the movie. And if there ever was an example of the movie being better than the book, its Godfather.
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/25/02 11:58 AM

It will add a lot more knowledge if you read the book.
Posted By: goddaughter

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/25/02 08:50 PM

As plawrence already stated...I wouldnt call it a fine piece of literature...I mean its no James Joyce's Ulysses or anything but as far as storyline's go you can't beat The Godfather....plus you learn more in the novel than is shown in the film.....READ IT!
Posted By: tony's detroitgirl

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 11/26/02 04:40 AM

I HIGHLY recommend it. It's definately a MUST READ for all fans of the movie and Mario Puzo. You kinda get to see the "Bigger Picture", a more in depth look of the story.
Posted By: ChrisY2J

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/05/02 01:05 AM

"The Godfather" is a very addictive book. I've re-read it countless times. I never get tired of it. It will definitely expand your knowledge of the movie tenfold.
Posted By: sveta van gaal

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/05/02 11:59 AM

I am almost finished......it enables you to understand more of why certain decisions are made...more of a background so you're not left guessing after watching the movie....

However, as many posters have mentioned in various threads, I have noticed the whopping amount of typos and other mistakes in the book. It's rather shameful for Random House (or whoever the publishers are) not to have fixed those in and by this day and age. Surely it reflects more badly upon them than it does upon Mario Puzo (r.i.p)
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/05/02 02:29 PM

Originally posted by ChrisY2J:
"The Godfather" is a very addictive book. I've re-read it countless times. I never get tired of it. It will definitely expand your knowledge of the movie tenfold.
Welcome to the Phily area. Here you are leaving Buffalo and coming to Philly and today we get more snow than we have had in years. Are you bringing it with you?
Posted By: Meyer Lansky

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/06/02 11:11 AM

The book develops characters that the movie didn't. For example, Johnny Fontaine, Lucy Mancini, and Johnny's pal Nino, who is not in the film.
Posted By: ChrisY2J

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/06/02 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Don Marco:
[/qb]
Welcome to the Phily area. Here you are leaving Buffalo and coming to Philly and today we get more snow than we have had in years. Are you bringing it with you?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey, Don.
Well, I haven't moved to the Philly area yet! I'm going at the end of December.
But yeah, it looks like Buffalo's wonderful lake-effect snow is following me, doesn't it? grin
I am visiting in a couple days to hunt for an apartment. I'm looking for something in the Hatboro-Horsham-Willowgrove area. Are there any apartment complexes you would recommend?
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/06/02 05:15 PM

I actually live on the NJ side of the river. A friend of mine lived in the Korman Suites comples near Neshaminy Mall and he liked it there, but that is all I know of in that area.
Posted By: deathkiss

Re: Is the book worth reading? - 12/06/02 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

mick
Anything concerning the GODFATHER is worth reading. So why not read the book that set off the craze!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET