Home

Contradiction?

Posted By: Don_Vito

Contradiction? - 07/04/02 03:02 AM

Hi to everyone here, im new to this place, so i dont know everyone here, just wanted to say hi.
Um, after reading the Godfather about 5 times, and having watched the movie about twice as many times, i have stumbled upon a little contradiction.
I was wondering, Sollozo wanted to make a deal with the Corleone Family right? what did he want? he wanted the political protection that the Don could offer with his connections. Now, at the meeting, Sonny showed a split of opinion inside the family, which was a mistake, and Sollozo saw an opening in the family. He could, kill the Don, and thus have better relations with the family in dealing with Sonny. Unfortunately, the plan to kill the Don failed, but he was hospitalized. While he was in the hospital, Tom, Sonny,Clemenza and Tessio were discussing the fact that if the Don didn't make it, they would lose about half of the family ties in politics, for Sonny hadn't gained the respect yet. Now, if that was the case, then wound't Sollozo have failed in trying to achieve the concaine deal if he had succeeded in killing the Don?
Please tell me what u all think on this matter. thankz all :-)
Posted By: Machiavelli

Re: Contradiction? - 07/04/02 04:02 AM

So true. But Sollozzo need political connections and 2 million in cash. He figured he could get the cash from Sonny and that some of the political connections would be wired to Sonny as he would become the head of the Corleone Family. So Sollozzo figure that half the connection and the cash was better than nothing at all.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Contradiction? - 07/04/02 04:42 AM

Originally posted by Machiavelli:
So true. But Sollozzo need political connections and 2 million in cash. He figured he could get the cash from Sonny and that some of the political connections would be wired to Sonny as he would become the head of the Corleone Family. So Sollozzo figure that half the connection and the cash was better than nothing at all.
Very true, Machiavelli! Not all the family's political connections would have bolted because some of them still had houses to build and kids to put through college. Solozzo knew he'd never get Vito to change his mind. But Sonny, hot temper and all, might have been more amenable to listening to Hagen, whom Solozzo inferred was on his side. Therefore, Solozzo could have gotten use of the family's remaining political connections from Sonny, probably on better terms than he might have gotten from Vito.
Posted By: Anton The Penguin

Re: Contradiction? - 07/04/02 04:48 AM

Well I just wanted to say hi [Linked Image] and welcome to the boards. grin

Anton
smile
Posted By: TheIrishDon

Re: Contradiction? - 07/05/02 02:48 AM

Yeah Yeah HELLO to you too grin
Posted By: Daniel Corleone

Re: Contradiction? - 07/05/02 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Don_Vito:
Now, at the meeting, Sonny showed a split of opinion inside the family, which was a mistake, and Sollozo saw an opening in the family. He could, kill the Don, and thus have better relations with the family in dealing with Sonny. Unfortunately, the plan to kill the Don failed, but he was hospitalized. While he was in the hospital, Tom, Sonny,Clemenza and Tessio were discussing the fact that if the Don didn't make it, they would lose about half of the family ties in politics, for Sonny hadn't gained the respect yet. Now, if that was the case, then wound't Sollozo have failed in trying to achieve the concaine deal if he had succeeded in killing the Don?
Please tell me what u all think on this matter. thankz all :-)
First of all welcome Don_Vito. Feel free to browse and post at the other forums as well. As regards to your question, I guess 2 of my fellow mafioso's had answered it well. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Since the Don was in grave danger and the thought of him dying was imminent, Solozzo played it safe by pressurung Tom to make the deal with Sonnny. Sonny, being a Corleone and I am sure he was in the meetings where the Don met with the so called political ties. He still had some sort of connection and power as to which could benefit Solozzo's business. Guess I am kinda repeating myself (since it was answered already) but oh well, lol. [Linked Image]

By the way, very interesting question for a first time poster. Anyways, take it easy and have fun. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Don_Vito

Re: Contradiction? - 07/05/02 03:49 AM

well, i take my "Godfather" seriously. hehe. ^^
Posted By: Scarlett

Re: Contradiction? - 07/05/02 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Don_Vito:
well, i take my "Godfather" seriously. hehe. ^^
As we all here do!!!
Posted By: canaveral6

Re: Contradiction? - 07/16/02 05:16 PM

The way I see it, Solozzo, and his crew, were vastly incompetent. The fact that his men fired like 17 shots and only hit Vito five times is one clue of that. Anyway it could just be that Solozzo didn't look into it very well. He also should have known that Sonny was to hot-headed to make business deals, Solozzo said that himself. And the guy that was in the restaurant, that Micheal didn't know about, didn't do anything to Micheal after he shot Solozzo. Again this expresses their inadequecy.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET