Home

Why so many Hollywood scenes?

Posted By: Diamond Joe Esposito

Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 01:06 AM

What I find very odd about the book is that there are a ton of pages on Johnny Fontane, Lucy Mancini, and Jules Segal, and there is barely anything about any of those people. Segal is indirectly mentioned when Fredo says to Mike when he arrives in Vegas "Wow, that doctor really fixed you up good!" Lucy Mancini is totally nameless in the movie and appears only at the wedding and in her apartment. Johnny is the only one that gets more than 10 seconds on the screen. But even then, none of his troubles with his wife and ex-wife are covered. THe don only asks if he spends time with his family and according to the novel, he really doesn't.
Posted By: MobbingForMoney

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 01:09 AM

So you would rather have those scenes in the movie or would you not like it in the movie?
Posted By: Liz Skywalker

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 02:20 AM

if they all would be in the movie, you'd need to take more than one bathroom break if you've got yer mega-size soda! smile

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Liz Skywalker:
if they all would be in the movie, you'd need to take more than one bathroom break if you've got yer mega-size soda! smile

Well not if its empty,you can just use the..... wink orange

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 02:29 AM

Originally posted by MobbingForMoney:

men. rolleyes

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 02:37 AM

....bathroom. tongue

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 10/25/01 02:41 AM

....bathroom. tongue

*sigh* ya know what I meant. rolleyes men. rolleyes.gif
Posted By: La signora di fucile

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 11/20/01 10:10 PM

Sorry to be a pain in the arse and go back to the first quote, but I think that those bits are missing from the movie, because it would have detracted from the feel and tone of the movie, I mean who was really all that interested in Lucy's affair? Sure it was nice to know a bit more about her, but that was maybe going too far. Overall those scenes really had nothing to do with The Family, thay had no effect, rather.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 11/20/01 10:30 PM

In total agreement with 'Signora'!!!
What's interesting in a novel doesn't always translate well in the film version and cuts have to be made to in order not to bog down the story. Though I'm sure Lucy's em....situation...is fascinating in print, as is Luca's, Johnny's, etc...I'm glad the main focus of the film was on the Corleone family. It would not have been as great a picture otherwise.

Now, if it were made today as a miniseries, we would see all that stuff over an excruciatingly long 4-5 nights!!! Thank goodness FFC was hired in 1972.

Appple

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: AppleOnYa ]
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 11/20/01 11:37 PM

I think there's another reason. Puzo, like Ian Fleming of James Bond fame, could never resist passing onto readers every bit of "erudition" he picked up along the way. He spent plenty of time in Hollywood, so he passed on Hollywood stuff to his readers. Somewhere, he learned about surgery, hence the technical stuff about Johnny's vocal chord warts and Lucy Mancini's operation. His absorbtion with Hollywood is one of the main factors that makes "The Last Don" so insufferable. In "The Godfather," it's at least tolerable because the Don is interested in expanding into Hollywood and exerts his influence several times on behalf of Johnny Fontane.
Posted By: Alexander Supalov

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 12/19/01 10:29 AM

Hi!

In the "25th Anniversary Edition " on 3 VHS tapes, there's about 30 minutes of interviews with Coppola, Puzo, Pacino, and Shire. Sort of recommended (the first three in any case).

To the point: Coppola insists there several times that he'd like the film to tell a story of a king and three sons. An oversize vagina and Johnny's family troubles would come.. a little awkward.

Best regards.

Alexander
Posted By: Farantino

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 12/31/01 03:48 PM

The thing is that a lot of those scenes are made into movie, but got cut in order to make the movie shorter. I would love to watch the whole Godfather as a HBO mini-series.
Posted By: Knocc Out

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/01/02 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Alexander Supalov:
Hi!

In the "25th Anniversary Edition " on 3 VHS tapes, there's about 30 minutes of interviews with Coppola, Puzo, Pacino, and Shire. Sort of recommended (the first three in any case).

To the point: Coppola insists there several times that he'd like the film to tell a story of a king and three sons. -------->AN OVERSIZE VAGINA <--------- and Johnny's family troubles would come.. a little awkward.

Best regards.

Alexander

WTF?
Posted By: Sermanni

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/06/02 02:21 AM

A certain Mr Sinatra wasnt too happy about Fontanes role in GF1, so imagine his anger if he was a more central character!
Posted By: Claudia

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/18/02 02:08 PM

" Michael, you are blind."

I was thinking that maybe the character of Johny was based in Frank Sinatra's real life!!

Have you noticed?
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/18/02 06:24 PM

I think Sinatra was more upset at the book. Johnny Fontaine has a very limited role in the movie.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/18/02 08:01 PM

Don Marco's right! The novel Fontaine tracked Sinatra's life so closely that you wonder why Sinatra didn't sue Puzo for birthright-infringement.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/18/02 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
...you wonder why Sinatra didn't sue Puzo for birthright-infringement.

I bet he wanted to, but couldn't...as long as he used a different name for the character, Puzo could fall back on that old disclaimer, "This is a work of fiction and any relationship to actual persons living or dead is purely coincidental".

For Frankie, a punch in the nose had to suffice
eek !!

Apple
Posted By: Saladbar

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 01/18/02 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Farantino:
The thing is that a lot of those scenes are made into movie, but got cut in order to make the movie shorter. I would love to watch the whole Godfather as a HBO mini-series.

i know a lot of things were cut, but i don't think FFC originally had any of the Lucy story in the script to cut.

i'd love to watch Godfather (made by FFC) as a long series, but even then i think the Fontaine/Lucy stories would be unneccessary.
Posted By: Ricardo

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 02/06/02 01:49 AM

At Least we'd get to to see Fabrizzio die twice!

A Coward dies a thousand deaths, A hero dies but once...

Unless Mike crawls off the ground in the beginning of GF4! lol
Posted By: Farantino

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 03/04/02 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Saladbar:
Originally posted by Farantino:
i know a lot of things were cut, but i don't think FFC originally had any of the Lucy story in the script to cut.

i'd love to watch Godfather (made by FFC) as a long series, but even then i think the Fontaine/Lucy stories would be unneccessary.
I personally loved the Fontaine story. I think Nuno's journey in HollyWood is an amazing poignant piece.

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/22/02 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Claudia:
" Michael, you are blind."

I was thinking that maybe the character of Johny was based in Frank Sinatra's real life!!

Have you noticed?
Did anyone hear that Frank Sinatra went up to Puzo in a New York club and cut off his tie? Is that some kinda sicilian message wink confused grin

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/22/02 11:45 PM

Originally posted by La signora di fucile:
Originally posted by Claudia:
[b]" Michael, you are blind."

Have you noticed?
Did anyone hear that Frank Sinatra went up to Puzo in a New York club and cut off his tie? Is that some kinda sicilian message wink confused grin [/b]
Don't know about cuttign off the tie, but I know Sinatra was once in th esame Club at Puzo and refused to speak with him because he felt ripped off by Johnny Fontane being so SIMILAR!
Posted By: Fanucci

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/23/02 12:24 AM

]
Did anyone hear that Frank Sinatra went up to Puzo in a New York club and cut off his tie? Is that some kinda sicilian message wink confused grin [/QB][/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're not confusing Sinatra with Harpo Marx? grin

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/23/02 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Fanucci:
Are you sure you're not confusing Sinatra with Harpo Marx? grin [/QB]
Can't be sure, it's hearsay, I've never read anything on it, was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not it was true?

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/23/02 10:34 PM

Why so many Hollywood Scenes?
Because Puzo FELT like it!
orange
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/23/02 11:19 PM

Sorry to be a pain in the arse and go back to the first quote, but I think that those bits are missing from the movie, because it would have detracted from the feel and tone of the movie, I mean who was really all that interested in Lucy's affair? Sure it was nice to know a bit more about her, but that was maybe going too far. Overall those scenes really had nothing to do with The Family, thay had no effect, rather.
In GF2 there was no mention of Lucy (or vincent) who must have been around then. In GF3 Mike made some reference in the office with joey zaza and Vincent to having offered Vincent 'something legitimate' which he refused.Presumably then Michael et al was well aware of Vincent and Lucy etc so we're left to fill in all the blanks. I think a little more could have been added to clarify a little more. It's such a long story I can see the problem but an illegitamate son who later became Don should have had a mention earlier surely?

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/24/02 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Family Honour:
[b]Sorry to be a pain in the arse and go back to the first quote, but I think that those bits are missing from the movie, because it would have detracted from the feel and tone of the movie, I mean who was really all that interested in Lucy's affair? Sure it was nice to know a bit more about her, but that was maybe going too far. Overall those scenes really had nothing to do with The Family, thay had no effect, rather.
In GF2 there was no mention of Lucy (or vincent) who must have been around then. In GF3 Mike made some reference in the office with joey zaza and Vincent to having offered Vincent 'something legitimate' which he refused.Presumably then Michael et al was well aware of Vincent and Lucy etc so we're left to fill in all the blanks. I think a little more could have been added to clarify a little more. It's such a long story I can see the problem but an illegitamate son who later became Don should have had a mention earlier surely?[/b]
So Should a Family Traitor who POPS UP in GF2. At Least there was a (DELETED_SCENE) with Clemenza introducing Roth to Vito in 1920! They could have shown Pentangeli meeting Clemenza round that time.

To sum up the LEGITIMATE OFFER Mike: "I Need More Lawyers" Puzo/Vito: "A Lawyer can take more with a briefcase than a Thousand men with Guns"

Vincent was an AFTERTHOUGHT the Vincent Mancini charcter was ORIGINALLY Santino COrleone Junior and HAD been introduced in GF1, and MENTIONEd in Gf2. At Least we KNEW that Sonny has a son to survive him, Santino JR.
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/25/02 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Ricardo:
[b]
[b]Sorry to be a pain in the arse and go back to the first quote, but I think that those bits are missing from the movie, because it would have detracted from the feel and tone of the movie, I mean who was really all that interested in Lucy's affair? Sure it was nice to know a bit more about her, but that was maybe going too far. Overall those scenes really had nothing to do with The Family, thay had no effect, rather.
In GF2 there was no mention of Lucy (or vincent) who must have been around then. In GF3 Mike made some reference in the office with joey zaza and Vincent to having offered Vincent 'something legitimate' which he refused.Presumably then Michael et al was well aware of Vincent and Lucy etc so we're left to fill in all the blanks. I think a little more could have been added to clarify a little more. It's such a long story I can see the problem but an illegitamate son who later became Don should have had a mention earlier surely?[/b]
So Should a Family Traitor who POPS UP in GF2. At Least there was a (DELETED_SCENE) with Clemenza introducing Roth to Vito in 1920! They could have shown Pentangeli meeting Clemenza round that time.

To sum up the LEGITIMATE OFFER Mike: "I Need More Lawyers" Puzo/Vito: "A Lawyer can take more with a briefcase than a Thousand men with Guns"

Vincent was an AFTERTHOUGHT the Vincent Mancini charcter was ORIGINALLY Santino COrleone Junior and HAD been introduced in GF1, and MENTIONEd in Gf2. At Least we KNEW that Sonny has a son to survive him, Santino JR.[/b]
Thanks Ricardo

an after thought, your link for the GF4 script isnt working on my pc gets an error 404 u might want to check it out?

Re: Why so many Hollywood scenes? - 05/25/02 11:13 PM

an after thought, your link for the GF4 script isnt working on my pc gets an error 404 u might want to check it out?
Yeah thanks I know. try this www.dreamwater.net/zglo/GF41.htm if it doesn't work add an l to html

Let me know what you think!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET