Home

Godfather novel/movie vs. real events

Posted By: Don Farnsworths Son

Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/09/01 06:13 PM

I understand that the Johnny Fontane character was loosely based on events surrounding Frank Sinatra. Has anyone ever said if the other events in the book/movie are connected to actual events? I would imagine that they are, but have never heard for sure.
Posted By: MobbingForMoney

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/09/01 07:13 PM

The Vatican thing in part 3.
Posted By: big al

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/11/01 06:46 PM

The Vatican conspiracy is the one that comes to mind for me. Johnny Fontane as Frank Sinatra, i would not bet the farm on this, because I don`t think Frank would cry to the Don for a part in a movie, I think Frank would have kicked the Director`s butt himself to get the part!! grin grin
------------------------
And that I do not forgive !!
Posted By: Sonny

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/11/01 09:50 PM

There was an incident involving two of Al Capone's men with Luca Brasi (dispatched by Vito Corleone) in the novel.

As SC put it once, the "axe" and the "towel" incidents were real incidents that did take place. I didn't have the chance to ask if they happened simultaneously (as in the novel) or if they happened to Al Capone's men.

I appologize for those who didn't read the novel for not disclosing more details but this is a great part of the novel and you don't want to miss it.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/19/01 10:53 PM

As far as the Movie is concerned, the senate hearings involving Michael. While in the movie, Pentangelli turns government witness but later recinds his testimony, In real life Joe Valachi did wind up testifying against his boss. Pentangelli was loosely based on Valachi. Also the characters of the Rosatto Brothers, they were based on real life mobsters named The Gallo Brothers. In the movie they set up Pentangelli for a hit at a bar, then it turned into an all out shootout. In real life when the Gallo brothers were having problems with what I believe was the Profaci family ( who happened to be an Olive Oil King, sound familiar? ), they had set up a meeting at a bar whcih turned into a serious shootout.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/19/01 11:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by big al:
[QB]The Vatican conspiracy is the one that comes to mind for me. Johnny Fontane as Frank Sinatra, i would not bet the farm on this, because I don`t think Frank would cry to the Don for a part in a movie, I think Frank would have kicked the Director`s butt himself to get the part!!
------------------------

The reason that the Johnny Fontaine character was claimed to be based on Frank Sinatra was for the following reasons:
1st - Just like Fontaine, Sinatra was into a long term contract with Tommy Dorsey, a big time "band leader",and at first Dorsey would NOT let Sinatra out of his contract. Then just like that, he " Changed His Mind" and let Sinatra out of the contract.
2nd- The Fontaine Character wanted a part in a "War MOvie" that was "perfect" for him and would probably bring him back on top. In real life Sinatra's popularity had been on a decline, and a "War Movie" titled From Here To Eternity was being made and there was a character named Maggio that was a perfect part for Sinatra to play. The story Goes that Actually Ava Gardner, who was big time in Hollywood at that time, "convinced" the movie producers to give Sinatra a shot at the part. Sinatra won an academy award for that part and his career took off big time!
These are the main two reasons that many people believe that Johnny Fontaine was based on Frank Sinatra. The similarities of events that happened in the book/movie and in real life with Sinatra.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Bogus Castellano

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/24/01 02:52 AM

That's pretty close to the book. cool
Posted By: Don Lagrassa

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/26/01 07:07 AM

I would say Valachi was based on Pentangeli very loosely. I mean...at least Pentangeli did the honorable thing and took himself out. Who can say the same for Valachi?
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/28/01 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Don Lagrassa:
I would say Valachi was based on Pentangeli very loosely. I mean...at least Pentangeli did the honorable thing and took himself out. Who can say the same for Valachi?

I think Willie Cicci would be more like Valachi.....
Posted By: Bogus Castellano

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 09/29/01 03:48 AM

Originally posted by CamillusDon:

I think Willie Cicci would be more like Valachi.....

Why?
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/03/01 02:33 AM

he was a underling......
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/17/01 01:33 AM

In the novel, the chapter on the Don's war with "Maranzalla" loosely parallels the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31, with "Maranzalla" taking the part of Joe da Boss Masseria, and Vito Corleone as Salvatore Maranzano, the victor in that contest. The Don's life seems to me to be based on Frank Costello's, rather than Lucky Luciano's, as some believe. Also in that chapter, the Don arranges for the assassination of a hot headed Mafioso of whom he says, "but no one can reason with this fellow." That person parallels Albert Anastasia, who was actually mowed down by the Gallo Brothers on orders from Vito Genovese. Moe Green is, of course, Bugsy Siegel.
The movies, especially Part II, have many more ties to "real life." Hyman Roth is Meyer Lansky. The "Lakeville Road boys" are the "Mayfield Road boys" of Cleveland (Moe Dalitz et. al.). "Eddie Levine of Newport" is Eddie Levinson of Covington, KY. "Senator Geary" is Pat McCarren. "Frankie Pentangeli" could be Joe Magliocco, and the "Rosato Brothers" are probably the Gallo Brothers. "Johnny Ola" is Jimmy Blue Eyes Alo. And Part III has very strong, direct ties to Vatican III and the Vatican Bank scandal.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/17/01 01:39 AM

To add to what Don Cardi said about the Rosato Brothers and Pentangeli: In 1961, the Gallo Brothers started a war by seceding from Brooklyn's Profaci Family. Larry Gallo, the eldest brother, was garrotted in the back of the Elegant Lounge on Utica Avenue; the attempted murder was interrupted by a cop who happened inside. This went down exactly like the scene in GF II. The Daily News ran an unforgettable photo of Larry with a huge red circle around his neck where the garrott failed. He claimed he didn't know his assailant. The Gallos lost that war but weren't rubbed out because Joe Profaci got sick. Larry died of cancer. Joey went to the can for 10+ years in a jukebox extortion rap; may or may not have been involved in the '71 shooting of Joe Columbo, and was murdered in Umberto's Clam House. I don't know what happened to kid brother Albert.
Posted By: SC

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/17/01 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
Larry Gallo, the eldest brother, was garrotted in the back of the Elegant Lounge on Utica Avenue;

One minor correction....the bar in which this strangling took place was "The Sahara Lounge" (Utica and Clarendon Road).

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/17/01 04:54 AM

Thanks, SC
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/17/01 02:16 PM

Another thing to tie Sinatra to Johnny Fontaine is his close relationship to Willie Moretti. Sinatra sang at Moretti's daughter's wedding in 1947 that was held in the Moretti's back yard. Sound familiar?
Posted By: Francis The Kid Forducci

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/18/01 03:35 AM

I have also heard that the character Moe Green is based on a real man who invented the idea of Las Vegas.
PS. Notice that three of the people who have posted have the same signatures: Big Al, Bogus, and Sonny. But Sonny was the original.
Posted By: Liz Skywalker

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/18/01 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Francis The Kid Forducci:
[QB]I have also heard that the character Moe Green is based on a real man who invented the idea of Las Vegas.
QB]

Bugsy Seigel.
Posted By: Rocky

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/18/01 04:04 AM

I think I read somewhere that Michael was loosly based on Bill Bonnanno. Has anyone else heard this?

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/18/01 05:08 AM

I never heard that Michael was modeled on Bill Bonanno, but I can understand why some might think so. The Bonanno parallel is that, until John Gotti tried to foist his son on the Gambinos, Bill Bonanno was the only NY area son who was intended to succeed his father. The irony is that Bill was acting boss of a family faction while his father was in exile, while Sonny was the acting boss when Michael was in exile.
Posted By: Rocky

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/18/01 05:30 AM

OK, I remember where I read that. It was inside the book jacket of Bill Bononno's book: Bound By Honor: A Mafioso's Story.

It says: If Joe Bonanno was the inspiration for Don Vito Corleone, then Bill Bonanno was the role model for son Michael -- and with this book, a man who grew up in the world of Organized Crime tells all.

So my question is this, has anyone heard that Don Vito Corleone was modeled after Joe Bonanno? I've read countless other posts on this site that state many other people Vito was modeled after.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events - 10/18/01 03:10 PM

I've never heard of a Vito/Bonanno connection. There is an interesting parallel 'twixt the two. Just as the Corleones had
one capo who remained loyal in time of war (Clemenza) and another who sold them out to another Don (Tessio to Barzini), the Bonnanos had one loyal guy (Frank Labruzzo) and a traitor who sold out to another Don (Gaspar di Gregorio to Stefano Magaddino). N.B.: Richard Castellano played Labruzzo in the TV movie, "Honor Thy Father," which was pretty good.] And there's the parallel between Michael and Bill Bonanno. But Vito was never kidnapped, or forced to take it on the lam, as was Joe Bonanno, which caused a terminal rift in his family.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET