Home

Freud theory in Gangster films

Posted By: kyle

Freud theory in Gangster films - 10/05/09 09:02 AM

In Scarface and The godfather there seems to be clear elements of Freuds odipus complex, does anyone think so too?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Freud theory in Gangster films - 10/05/09 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kyle
In Scarface and The godfather there seems to be clear elements of Freuds odipus complex, does anyone think so too?

Freud was nuts.

But to paraphrase him, sometimes a cannoli is just a cannoli tongue lol.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Freud theory in Gangster films - 10/06/09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: kyle

Freud was nuts.

But to paraphrase him, sometimes a cannoli is just a cannoli tongue lol.

I agree.

also, PB, that is a mighty fine signature, where ever did you get it?
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Freud theory in Gangster films - 10/06/09 02:20 PM

I'm not that familiar with Scarface. I do think that Coppolla was trying to present Michael Corleone as a tragic hero in the classical/Shakespearean sense, brought down by his own strengths, but anything Oedipal went over my head.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Freud theory in Gangster films - 10/14/09 04:31 PM

I don't see any Oedipal elements in GF, other than Michael tries (and fails) to recreate the same level of trust and control that his father had. Hmm. You could even make an argument that he didn't even try because he learned the wrong lessons and times were different.

In Scarface, the incest thing is there but is it Oedipal since it's not directed at his mother?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Freud theory in Gangster films - 10/14/09 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo

In Scarface, the incest thing is there but is it Oedipal since it's not directed at his mother?

I should hope not. Did you see his mother in that movie? She could scare the paint off a wall.
Posted By: roman

Re: Freud theory in Gangster films - 04/17/10 06:54 AM

I fully agree - there is a tragedy of epic proportions transpiring here. It is very shakespearean and that is why it lives on and holds up over the years - the story, characters, and motivations are timeless.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET