Home

Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic

Posted By: plawrence

Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 01:24 PM

Looks like every film the Marx Brothers ever made....

10:30 AM - The Cocoanuts
12:15 PM - The Big Store
01:45 PM - Go West
03:15 PM - At the Circus
04:45 PM - Room Service
06:15 PM - Night at the Opera
08:00 PM - Animal Crackers
09:45 PM - Monkey Business
11:15 PM - Horse Feathers
12:30 AM - Duck Soup
01:45 AM - Day at the Races

If you have a chance to catch any of these, they're all guaranteed laughs.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 01:31 PM

I love the Marx Brothers humor. Groucho is my favorite. So corny, but still makes me laugh. I'm home today so I'll definitely try to catch at least one movie.

To be honest, it's been so long since I've seen a Marx Bros. movie, I can't remember now which was my favorite. Btw, wasn't Marylin Monroe in one of them (Monkey Business I think??).

TIS
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 06:08 PM

Groucho Marx = Godly
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 06:27 PM

The original anarchists.

I used to keep a copy of "Duck Soup" in my office, and would show selected scenes to subordinates when the pressure got too high. Our favorite scenes were:
--Chico and Harpo reporting to Louis Calhern about their tailing of Firefly ("Then you didn't shadow Firefly?" "Oh sure, we shadow him all day." "What day was that?" "Shadowday...ha, ha, at'sa good one, eh, Boss?") Calhern made a great straight man.
--Groucho's introduction to Margaret DuMont ("I held him in my arms and kissed him." "Oh, so it was murder?"). One of Groucho's biographers said the reason DuMont always looked so absolutely perplexed was that she really didn't get it.
--Edgar (The Slow Burn) Kennedy harrassed by Harpo and Chico.

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 06:54 PM

From "Big Store" which just played here:

Mr. Grover: "What experience have you had at a department store?"
Groucho [Wolf J. Flywheel]: "I was a shoplifter for three years."

Big Store

"Why you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, and that's not saying much for you."

Oh, and one of my favorites (I think a BBer had it once for a signature):

"I wanna dance with you til the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows til you come home." So Groucho!!!

TIS
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 08:03 PM

A Groucho line was used in a judge's decision in a criminal case to describe a defendant, whose testimony was clearly false and incredible.

A woman opens her closet door to find Groucho inside. "What are you doing in my closet?"

Groucho answers, "I'm not in your closet."

The woman resonds, "I can see you with my own eyes."

Groucho says, "Lady, who are you going to believe - me or your own eyes?"
Posted By: bogey

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 08:34 PM

I love me some Harpo, personally.

I remember I was Harpo for Halloween one year, in fifth grade.. absolutely no one knew who I was. Except the teachers and parents of course. All the kids thought I was just some random person in a blonde wig, trench coat, honking a horn at everyone.

Oh well. I had a good time.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 08:53 PM

TIS,

There are two entirely different films, each called Monkey Business. The Marxes' was made in 1931; the other, starring Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe, was in 1952.

The member who had "I could dance with you 'til the cows come home..." as his signature was Thug.

Groucho: "Where's your husband?"
Dumont: "He's dead."
Croucho: "I bet he's just using that as an excuse."

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
TIS,

There are two entirely different films, each called Monkey Business. The Marxes' was made in 1931; the other, starring Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe, was in 1952.

The member who had "I could dance with you 'til the cows come home..." as his signature was Thug.

Capo,

I do remember the Cary Grant Monkey Business. I liked that one too. I forgot their were two movies by the same name. I could have sworn Marylin had a very brief part in a Marx Bros. movie very early on in her career. Don't know what makes me think that.

TIS

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Capo,

I do remember the Cary Grant Monkey Business. I liked that one too. I forgot their were two movies by the same name. I could have sworn Marylin had a very brief part in a Marx Bros. movie very early on in her career. Don't know what makes me think that.

TIS
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041604/

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 09:52 PM

Ha ha!!! Thanks Bogey! I'm not going crazy then. :p

TIS
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/02/06 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.
Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.
Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.
Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/03/06 12:06 AM

I love the Marx Brothers. If I had known about this this morning, I probably would've called into work. Because I am pure evil.
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/03/06 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
Oh well. I had a good time.
Isn't that all that matters?

I'd previously seen only Duck Soup, so I appreciate this being posted - I was able to see a lot more of the Marx Brothers, which has increased my interest in them even more.

I just love the mirror scene , which I was first introduced to through I Love Lucy.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/03/06 06:45 AM

The mirror scene is one of the best choreographed pieces of visual comedy ever.

There are moments of dialog and moments of visual humor virtually every Marx Brothers movie that are so well-written, well-choreographed, and well-timed, they should serve as a model for any modern-day comedy writer.

tony b.

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/03/06 09:03 AM

No problemo, Tis.

Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
Isn't that all that matters?

I'd previously seen only Duck Soup, so I appreciate this being posted - I was able to see a lot more of the Marx Brothers, which has increased my interest in them even more.

I just love the mirror scene , which I was first introduced to through I Love Lucy.
Haha precisely. And the mirror scene is one of my favorites as well.. I first saw it on Lucy too. Great minds think alike. I also read in the other thread that you skipped in King's novel straight to Secret Window. (I'd have done the same thing, myself. Mmm Johnny. Hahaha.. I was watching Letterman the other night, and apparently he bought an island... Your mission, should you choose to accept it.. is to find those cooridinates, and bring them to me. And together we'll invade the island. Hahaha)
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/03/06 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it.. is to find those cooridinates, and bring them to me. And together we'll invade the island. Hahaha)
I accept. I'll get to work immediately.

I actually watched that Letterman, and I remember him saying that. My mom, who also loves him, had turned it on - I glanced over at it, and she practically squealed, "Johnny Depp!!!"

He was funny in saying that there's absolutely nothing to do on the island, except that his kids play in the sand. And I thought it was so cute when he said that the Jack Sparrow costume has become normal for the kids, and they think nothing of it. Aww.

My only problem in reading the story is that I'm having a hard time concentrating on the "analysis" of the character when he's "so darn good looking" in my head...to quote Willy Wonka.
Posted By: Rocky

Re: Marx Brothers On All Day Today On Turner Classic - 08/04/06 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
I love the Marx Brothers. If I had known about this this morning, I probably would've called into work. Because I am pure evil.
Me too (I would have called into work, and I am pure evil).

I hope they air these movies again soon.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET