Home

Oscars Night

Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Oscars Night - 03/02/06 09:33 AM

Where will you be on Oscars Night? Planted in front of the TV all night? I'd love to and have even the chance to because I got cable Sky TV which is going to cover all the event live, but honestly not even my huge love for cinema can stuck me in front of the TV from some 2 in the night till 6 in the morning if I'm supposed to be at work at 9! So I guess I'll watch the recap on Monday night and enjoy it live here on the BBs. I'll be crossing my fingers for Brokeback Mountain in all categories it has been nominated (especially best picture, best direction and best actor and supporting actor, Go Heath, go Jake!!!!!) ) and of course for La bestia nel cuore by Cristina Comencini, running for best foreign film.

I hate this damn timezone stuff!
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 10:11 AM

I'll probably be watching it, even though it's a bullshit program.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I'll probably be watching it, even though it's a bullshit program.
Well, bullshit programs are generally the most exciting ones! DV, I confess I'd do anything to be there (in the theatre) once in my life. C'mon, for a movie lover like me, it'd be like being catapulted in "Alice in wonderland" in the role of Alice!
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 01:59 PM

Yeah I dont always feel as though the academy gets it quite right in their winners or even their nominations, but its still cinematic history in the making, and this is the first year where I've actually seen most of the major films in contention for the top prizes, so i'll be watching attentively.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 05:51 PM

I'll be watching it. I gotta wake up and open as a result (I usually close)
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 06:39 PM

It will be on at 4:30 in the morning here and I'll be at work at 9:00 as well. I might sleep earlier the night before and be an early bird.

It doesn't look good for me being a Clooney fan considering the way British Awards went. It will bore me to death since all awards will go to Brokeback Mountain, and I've not gotten to watch it yet. It better be worth all the awards it's going to win.
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 08:16 PM

I won't watch. The broadcast time is very inconvenient, and there's no Al this year. Besides, I didn't watch most of the films nominated. I hope Knightley and Co don't get anything tho.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 08:37 PM

A quote I like a lot.

"Up to now -- since shortly after the Bolshevik Revolution -- most movie makers have been assuming that they know how to make movies. Just like a bad writer doesn't ask himself if he's really capable of writing a novel -- he thinks he knows. If movie makers were building airplanes, there would be an accident every time one took off. But in the movies, these accidents are called Oscars."

--Jean-Luc Godard
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: Oscars Night - 03/02/06 09:21 PM

Quote:
A quote I like a lot.

"Up to now -- since shortly after the Bolshevik Revolution -- most movie makers have been assuming that they know how to make movies. Just like a bad writer doesn't ask himself if he's really capable of writing a novel -- he thinks he knows. If movie makers were building airplanes, there would be an accident every time one took off. But in the movies, these accidents are called Oscars."

--Jean-Luc Godard
Godard is my hero.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] A quote I like a lot.

--Jean-Luc Godard
Godard is my hero. [/b][/quote]yeah, I wonder if he ever got an Oscar. I bet he didn't. This attitude is very typical. It reminds me Aesop's tale of the fox and the grapes.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
It will bore me to death since all awards will go to Brokeback Mountain, and I've not gotten to watch it yet. It better be worth all the awards it's going to win.
It IS worth. It's a work of art. Art, with a capital A. But I guess it's not going to win all the awards you think. For instance they say Heath Ledger (who is amazing, believe me, he was not just acting, he was living the role -- same goes for Jake Gyllenhall, as amazing as Heath-- two heartbreaking performances, unforgettable looks, very few words) is not winning best actor, they say Philip Seymour Hoffmann ("Capote") is winning. However I still hope Heath will win. He gave me chills. Jake gave me chills. The story gave me chills. The way the movie portrayed desperation, solitude and unhappiness due to the impossibility of being true to your own self and living accordingly gave me chills. I felt shocked and totally moved by the film. I've been living in a sort of permanent emotional turmoil since watching it. Which is rare for me. At least with such an intensity. It only happens when you come across a piece of Art.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] A quote I like a lot.

--Jean-Luc Godard
Godard is my hero. [/b][/quote]yeah, I wonder if he ever got an Oscar. I bet he didn't. This attitude is very typical. It reminds me Aesop's tale of the fox and the grapes. [/b][/quote]Godard has been to Cannes, which I consider above the Academy. I think what you meant is wrong, but what you said is right. If Godard won an Oscar, maybe he'd have more respect for them for picking a film that's different from the average shit.

But I highly doubt he's talking out a jealousy. Hating the Academy for their bullshit isn't unique.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 11:05 AM

What, no thoughts on Jon Stewart? I'm sure they'll try to make him be as bland as possible, on par with tradition for such gigs, but hey....I'm sure he won't pull a Letterman.

Meanwhile, one reason I'll watch the Oscars is this, and even my fellow major filmbuff friends will agree: Seeing Altman actually winning an Oscar finally, and seeing that glorius clip reel of his movies.....which means a clip from POPEYE as well. Hey, I can take it!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 12:02 PM

Quote:
Godard has been to Cannes, which I consider above the Academy. I think what you meant is wrong, but what you said is right. If Godard won an Oscar, maybe he'd have more respect for them for picking a film that's different from the average shit.

But I highly doubt he's talking out a jealousy. Hating the Academy for their bullshit isn't unique.
DV, like it or not, getting an Oscar for ANYONE in the showbiz means a lot. A hell of a lot. It makes all the difference in the world. Cannes is important, Venice is important, Berlin is important. But the Oscars are the Oscars, no matter if they tend to deal more with politics and box office than movie quality. So, in my opinion people who never got an Oscar may as well snub it as much as they can. Truth is they would DIE to get one.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
What, no thoughts on Jon Stewart? I'm sure they'll try to make him be as bland as possible, on par with tradition for such gigs, but hey....I'm sure he won't pull a Letterman.
I read he is going to host the show. But I haven't got a clue who he is....

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 03:32 PM

Lavinia, like it or not, some filmmakers don't give a god shit about the Academy. Some people make film for art, not for recognition.

Sure a lot of people would want one, but not everyone.

I would rather win the Palme d'or then an Oscar any day. Like it or not, The Academy is a symbol for everything wrong with the recognition of cinema.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 04:12 PM

Quote:
Lavinia, like it or not, some filmmakers don't give a god shit about the Academy. Some people make film for art, not for recognition.
well, artists (in genral, not specifically the ones in the movies) are among the most narcissistic
people one can think of. Believe me, recognition plays a huge role in their work, at least at a certain level of fame. Now, I agree some directors/actors are less prone to the showbiz, but I bet none would be sorry or just squeamish to get an Oscar. After all, there's only one Brando! Besides, he was already a star when he rejected his Oscar. An easier position for sure.... :p

DV, you are a smart guy. I'm honored to share my thoughts with you!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 04:23 PM

Odd you mention that, because I consider the majority of people to be just or even much more narcissistic. In fact, this goes hand in hand with the script I'm writing about the disgusting aspect of American culture politically and pop-culture-wise.
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 07:45 PM

Quote:
the script I'm writing about the disgusting aspect of American culture politically and pop-culture-wise.
That sounds very interesting DV! You think that pop-culture is a key-word to all things American - in general? I've recently talked with someone who thinks so.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 07:53 PM

I've only watched one ceremony in full, stayed up through the night to see it; where Lord of the Rings took everything. I love watching them, but don't have Sky, and Murdoch's bastard corporation show it and BBC get the shitty highlights--save for that one year.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
[b] the script I'm writing about the disgusting aspect of American culture politically and pop-culture-wise.
That sounds very interesting DV! You think that pop-culture is a key-word to all things American - in general? I've recently talked with someone who thinks so. [/b][/quote]My post didn't say it was just pop-culture. It's pretty much a film about the near future where American civilization is torn apart by riots, growing crime, and very violent competitions between political and special interest groups. It escalates to a French Revolutionesque story. The opening can be viewed below, several posts down.

http://filmcinemamovie.proboards76.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=personal&t hread=1139432399
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: Oscars Night - 03/03/06 10:24 PM

"The Academy" lost all my remaining respect after not awarding Donnie Brasco the award for best adapted screenplay or whatever it was, and sealed their stupidity by giving Braude the best actor nod for The Pianist when it should have gone to Daniel Day Lewis for Gangs Of New York. The Academy Awards used to mean something but I don't think they mean as much as they used to now. Brokeback Mountain will sweep all the important categories Clooney will be snubbed for best supporting actor (he should win, no one else in the category comes even close) because he had the balls to do a controversial film that doesn't toe the idiot, bullshit, Bush Conservative party line, and then everyone will go get drunk and go home.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 04:42 AM

The Academy has ALWAYS gotten it wrong folks.

I mean, you think its anything new? If you do, go dig up Orson Welles' grave, and tell him that HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY was more worthy of the 1941 Best Picture Oscar than say CITIZEN KANE, or better yet go dig up John Huston as well and say the same for THE MALTESE FALCON from the same year.

As for THE PIANIST, I think Brody deserved it absolutely, at least out of the group of nominees. Then again, I am sure that he only won because Lewis split the vote badly with Nicholson, as which happened as well in the Best Director, with the Scorsese/Marshall(CHICAGO) split in the tolls allowing a certain Roman Polanski to actually win it. I love Marty...but I actually think the Greatest Raping Filmmaker Ever did probably deserve it. I mean, better Roman than the helmer of CHICAGO and the Miramax Oscar Press Machine.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 03:11 PM

I use to watch the Oscars every year. However, I haven't gone to the movies much this year (mainly because I don't find that many appealing), so there's not any one movie/person that I can root for. I too don't always agree with what movies are deserving or not.

I probably will tune in switching back & forth, because I do like Jon Stewart, and I believe George Clooney will be there, and he's easy on the eyes. :p It's also fun (at least for women) to see what the ladie's are wearing.

So, it really won't be a "must" for me. Like the music awards, it's lost it's prestige to a degree IMHO.

TIS
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
It's also fun (at least for women) to see what the ladie's are wearing.
Whatever makes you think that it's not fun for the men also? :p

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b]It's also fun (at least for women) to see what the ladie's are wearing.
Whatever makes you think that it's not fun for the men also? :p [/b][/quote]Ha ha!! That's true, but the ladies look more at beautiful gowns, jewelry, who's skinny or fat, hair styles, who's attending with whom, etc. I doubt the man's train of thought is on the same lines.

TIS
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 03:37 PM

The women's gowns can probably get a better view on the Joan/Melissa Rivers pre-show on TV-Guide channel. Somehow I can't help watching that every year just for sheer entertainment (and to see how far back Joan can have her face stretched).

Unfortunately, I'm not as interested in Oscar night anymore as much as I used to be. Up until about 5 years ago I would SO look forward to this night!! Could be due to the fact that I haven't gone to the movies in years! Also the fact that these days, there are no real STARS...meaning box office names that bring in the money. So while the movies themselves are certainly nomination and award worthy, there's nothing that attracts me to the Oscar telecast itself.

I'll probably tune in to the beginning for John Stewart's monologue, then they usually have a supporting actress/actor Oscar as the first award presented. Then I'll probably tune in and out until about the last half hour when the Director/Actor/Actress/Picture honors are finally bestowed.

There's usually a tribute to all movie names (famous and non-famous) who have died over the past year, I'll be lucky if I happen to catch that.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 03:44 PM

Apple,

I have seen Joan/Melissa Rivers Oscar show, but to tell you the truth, I can't stand Joan Rivers. She is so annoying.

Years ago she was so funny but has lost it in recent years. I can't stand hearing her for more than 5 minutes.

For some reason, one joke of Joan's from when she was good that sticks in my mind, regarding Liz Taylor (she always always made jokes her about her weight). Something along the lines of:

Liz Taylor went to McDonalds, and you could see the numbers constantly changing (referring to the "millions sold" marquee) She was merciless.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 04:00 PM

I'm furious that the Oscars are more about "What are you wearing?" then the films themselves.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 04:08 PM

You know, I hope Jon Stewart trashes the Oscars tomorrow night, with the self-applauding nonsense of the Oscars, the over-emphasize on the materialistic fashions of Hollywood, and all that other bullshit.

What, no thoughts on being glad to see Altman get his Oscar?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 04:12 PM

DV,

Even as a kid, the Oscars was kind of an "event" in my house. The whole family would watch and we were allowed to stay up late (school night). Like I said, it lost it's prestige and glamour.

Also, I hate to sound like an oldtimer, and I acknowledge good movies are still being made, yet it's not like it use to be. Even back then, looking at fashion was common, it didn't compare the event itself and the feeling of "awe" we felt for a true star who gave an outstanding performance. Exactly why this is, or what is missing, I'm not sure.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 04:30 PM

Quote:
...tell you the truth, I can't stand Joan Rivers. She is so annoying...Years ago she was so funny but has lost it in recent years. I can't stand hearing her for more than 5 minutes....
I have to say I agree with you that Joan isn't nearly as funny as she was years ago...although she can come up with a good on-the-spot wisecrack every now & then. Her red-carpet interviews can be entertaining, depending on who the star is and how receptive they are to her humor. The fasion reviews used to be fun as well...but now they're basically old hat.

Aside from appearances she might be doing in Vegas...those pre-award shows are basically all that is left to her career. In my opinion, she blew it big time years ago when she dissed the Johnny Carson guest-hosting gig to get her own show at Fox.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 04:33 PM

It's not that worse films are being made, it's that the Academy doesn't pick them. Of course good/great films do make it to the Oscars as well as the other categories but often it's too ass-kissy.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/04/06 05:30 PM

As well, unfortunately politics do play into why some films win at the Oscars instead of others.

From what I've read from the mindless religious-freveront armies behind CRASH, they think its a "poignant" tale of racism in modern-day Los Angeles. Thing is, is the film itself worthy of this praise, or political inspirations found within it that people take ahold of? I say this because CRASH, if it was only a HBO movie instead of being released in theaters, would have won a few Emmys, applauded as a very nice effort, and then forgotten.

Then again, thats the only explanation as to why CRASH got nominated over something like A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, which doesn't make people inflicted with white guilt feel "racially sound" like with CRASH(nevermind that reportedly a good number of black Academy voters hated CRASH...and I don't actually blame them).

BTW, I'm sure Clooney will win an Oscar, since Hollywood loves him very much, though Best Supporting Actor is the most likely bet for victory.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/05/06 05:16 PM

Ronnie I hope you're right on Clooney winning for Syriana.

Anyways, here's a David Letterman top 10 list on this year's Oscars:

Top Ten Signs You're Not Going To Win An Academy Award

10. You're up against King Kong for Best Giant Monkey.

9. Instead of asking who you're wearing, Joan Rivers asks why you showed up.

8. Your film is used to torture Gitmo detainees.

7. Best acting you did this year was telling your wife you didn't sleep with Angelina Jolie.

6. You're "Guy No. 5" in the Paris Hilton sex tape.

5. Gretzky's wife bet a grand against you.

4. Your acting has been compared to Steven Segal

3. Played the coveted role of "man who gets kicked in the nuts."

2. George W. Bush has information you're going to win.

...1. You spent months learning to become a gay cowboy, but you're not an actor.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/05/06 05:52 PM

Just seen Syriana. I don't think it should win anything.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/05/06 06:24 PM

I forgot that this is one award show that comes on early (5:00 p.m. here), so I probably will tune in, at least for a while. I haven't seen any of the movies, so can't really root for any of them though.

TIS

Btw, what's the deal with "Crash"? I did not see it, but I know a couple of people who did and said it was good. It seems suddenly I'm hearing more buzz on that and Matt Dillon.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:22 AM

Best Supporting Actor:

William Hurt (A History of Violence)
George Clooney (Syriana) - winner
Matt Dillon (Crash)
Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain)
Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man)
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:25 AM

hey i want to see some of the past entrances that the hosts have had (ex. when they show billy crystal merged into the movies at the beginning of the oscars).

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:27 AM

Geoff,

Wasn't the very beginning neat, with all brief movie lines and actors. Don't quite know how to describe it.

Clooney in bed with Jon Stewart. ha ha

Yea, Clooney won supporting. I thought perhaps Matt Dillon would be a surprise winner. I can't really say who I'd vote for, not seeing the movies, but I like Clooney.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:29 AM

Best Visual Effects:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
War of the Worlds
King Kong - winner

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:31 AM

Quote:
Wasn't the very beginning neat, with all brief movie lines and actors.
Yeah, that was neat - at first I thought they got Billy Crystal after all! Those ex-hosts were good sports to do that!

I'm also glad that Jon Stewart, at least so far, is keeping the politics to a minimum.
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:31 AM

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this show - I don't think I've seen a single nominee. (Okay, I'm avoiding homework. )

But I can't stand to miss this show, and I wanted to see Jon Stewart. What a great year for stupid humor, considering Jon, Ben Stiller making an appearance, etc...

I loved Jon's joke about how Bjork was picking out her Oscar dress but wasn't able to make it because Dick Cheney shot her.

I loved George Clooney's speech.

TIS, I caught part of the opening, and yes, it was really nice! Got to see DeNiro, and I thought it was cool how they made it look as though separate characters were speaking to each other.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:33 AM

I don't think I'm gonna be posting the winners much longer... I'd rather watch this in the other room on the couch than upright at the computer.

Best Animated Feature Film:
Howl's Moving Castle
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - winner

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b]Wasn't the very beginning neat, with all brief movie lines and actors.
Yeah, that was neat - at first I thought they got Billy Crystal after all! Those ex-hosts were good sports to do that!

I'm also glad that Jon Stewart, at least so far, is keeping the politics to a minimum. [/b][/quote]Crystal was probably spending time with Steve Martin's kids, so they don't turn out weird.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:37 AM

How was this Dolly Parton song nominated for Best Song??

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:41 AM

It's from the movie that's up for best picture with Felicity Huffman, TransAmerica.

I don't mind Dolly Parton, but I find most nominated songs at the academy awards aren't usually that good anyway.

TIS

Btw Geoff, this is a time a laptime does come in handy.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:45 AM

Best Live-Action Short Film:

Ausreisser (The Runaway)
Cashback
The Last Farm
Our Time Is Up
Six Shooter - winner

Yeah, TIS, I really need to get a laptop so I can get online while in every room!! I'll probably borrow my friend's for my trip this week at least...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:46 AM

Best Animated Short Film:

Badgered
The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation - winner
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello
One Man Band

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:48 AM

quote:
I find most nominated songs at the academy awards arent usually that good anyway.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:50 AM

Achievement in Costume Design:

Memoirs of a Geisha - winner
Mrs. Henderson Presents
Pride and Prejudice
Walk the Line
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:59 AM

Achievement in Makeup:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - winner
Cinderella Man
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:01 AM

They cut the microphone off before the woman could talk...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:06 AM

They should let this winner speak at least...

Best Supporting Actress:

Frances McDormand (North Country)
Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardener) - winner
Amy Adams (Junebug)
Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain)
Catherine Keener (Capote)

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:10 AM

Just a tidbit during the commercial, a teacher I worked with and his wife attend the Academy awards almost every year as seat-fillers (I can't think of the technical name for it). He said when they see someone leave a seat to go to the restroom, or for whatever reason, they rush to sit in it. This is so there never are empty seats when the camera shows the audience. I forgot if they got paid, but got to briefly meet stars. He seemed to really enjoy it. Who would have thought?

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:13 AM

Sheesh! I thought I was going crazy seeing the same couple sitting next to different people all night!

Wow, you wouldn't have to pay me for that job!!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:16 AM

They just showed Sterling Hayden (Capt McCluskey) in that film-noir piece...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:20 AM

Best Documentary Short:

The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club
God Sleeps in Rwanda
The Mushroom Club
A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin - winner

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:21 AM

Ugly dress! :p

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:22 AM

Best Documentary Feature:

Darwin's Nightmare
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Murderball
March of the Penguins - winner
Street Fight

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:23 AM

Quote:
Ugly dress! :p
Sorry, I wasn't looking at her dress.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:24 AM

You can see the "padding" in J-Lo's dress :rolleyes:

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:28 AM

Quote:
Just a tidbit during the commercial, a teacher I worked with and his wife attend the Academy awards almost every year as seat-fillers (I can't think of the technical name for it).
TIS, did you know that in a Seinfeld episode, Kramer got to work as a seat-filler?! It was hilarious - it was for the Tony Awards, I believe. He ended up walking on stage with a group nearby him that won, and he took home someone else's Tony. :p

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:31 AM

Ha ha! No, I don't think I saw that episode, but Kramer is so hyper he'd be perfect.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:34 AM

Best Art Direction:

Good Night, And Good Luck.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
King Kong
Pride and Prejudice

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:45 AM

Itzhak Perlman

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:49 AM

Best Original Score:

John Williams (Memoirs of a Geisha)
John Williams (Munich)
Gustavo Santaolalla (Brokeback Mountain) - winner
Alberto Iglesias (The Constant Gardener)
Dario Marianelli (Pride and Prejudice)

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:02 AM

Achievement in Sound Mixing:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
King Kong - winner
Memoirs of a Geisha
Walk the Line
War of the Worlds

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:12 AM

Geoff, wonder if CS is watching, huh?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
Geoff, wonder if CS is watching, huh?
Why, did they show Jessica Alba? If so, he's probably smoking a cigarette by now.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:21 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
[b] Geoff, wonder if CS is watching, huh?
Why, did they show Jessica Alba? If so, he's probably smoking a cigarette by now. [/b][/quote]

Re: the current Oscar song nominee...."It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp." :rolleyes: Oh yea, I'll be rushing out to pick that one up. Good thing I have a mute button. :p

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:23 AM

Best Original Song:

'In the Deep' (Crash)
'Hard Out Here for a Pimp' (Hustle & Flow) - winner
'Travelin' Thru' (Transamerica)

TIS picked the winner!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:24 AM

You gotta be f**kn' kidding me!!!

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:25 AM

that was so stupid...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:28 AM

As Time Goes By
Love Story
Romeo & Juliet theme
Sound Of Music

and of course: "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm speechless. :p

TIS

Quote:
You gotta be f**kn' kidding me!!!

TIS
I could have sworn I heard "it's hard out here for a pimp" blasting in the background when I was talking to you at the last get together.......

Achievement in Sound Editing:

King Kong - winner
Memoirs of a Geisha
War of the Worlds

(That "vote for" bit was pretty funny, for those who are into sound )

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:29 AM

TIS, don't tease us. We all know it's your favorite song. :p

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:30 AM

as a 21 year old who's been exposed to hip hop most his life, i have to say that what i saw tonight was absolutely retarded. Not only where they an embarassement (the way they dressed and the swearing) but all the other songs composed tonight were beautiful and more deserving of an oscar.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:30 AM

Quote:
"It's Hard Out There For A Pimp." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm speechless. :p
I agree, TIS. It may be hard out there for a pimp, but shouldn't it be hard(er) out there for a john??

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:39 AM

Best Foreign-Language Film:

Paradise Now (Palestine)
Joyeux Noel (France)
Tsotsi (South Africa) - winner
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (Germany)
Don't Tell (Italy)

Gotta love Will Smith.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:40 AM

Someone enlighten me, does having an oscar add to their "street cred" :rolleyes:

I also noticed all of the other males who accepted awards were wearing suits......

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:41 AM

jon stewert just said the truth...marty scorsece 0 oscars and thre six mafia one.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:42 AM

Best Film Editing:

Cinderella Man
The Constant Gardener
Crash - winner
Munich
Walk the Line

(Who's that Asian girl? She's cute! )

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr. soprano:
jon stewert just said the truth...marty scorsece 0 oscars and thre six mafia one.
That really puts things in perspective now, doesn't it?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:43 AM

Man, Jon Stewart is great tonight..."And we never had those problems ever again!"

BTW, I enjoyed the Robert Altman bit...who else did?

As for PIMP winning Best Song, I mean you see those guys so happy that they actually won something as cool as an Oscar? I mean none of that stuffy formal bullshit, but emotional...and honest.

Besides, that song for CRASH, like the movie, was melodramatic and teeth-grindingly and falsely "mindful".

Oh god, Stewart's joke...how cruel:

"For those keeping score at home:

Martin Scorsese - ZERO Oscars

3 6 MAFIA - ONE Oscar"

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:44 AM

Shouldn't you all be saying this "three six mafia" :rolleyes: won an oschizzle? or is that no longer "rad" :rolleyes:

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:47 AM

you know what...but it'll just add the disgrace that this years oscars is shaping up to be. first it'll be three six mafia...and then it's gonna be brokeback mountain. i am sorry but everyone i know agree's that while it may be a good movie...it is not the best picture of the year.

-edit-

well nice to see they did a good job here with philp seymour hoffman.

Ok, to recover from my shock of the "downhill" Oscar show :rolleyes: .....

DMC, Oscars do give prestige to the winner and I'm guessing offers for more films. However, there are many one time winners who we seem to never see again. If we're lucky it'll be the case of the "Pimp" singers.

Also, on another note, did you all know that whoever wins director will more than likely also win Best Film? I think perhaps it happened once or twice where that wasn't the case, but most likely whoever gets director, that film will win.

TIS

Best Actor:

Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain)
Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote) - winner
David Strathairn (Good Night, And Good Luck.)
Terrence Howard (Hustle & Flow)

Wow, I really thought Brokeback was supposed to take all these...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:50 AM

Quote:
Amen to that!!! Damn! I can't get over it. I didn't like any of the songs, but at least I'd categorize them as music.

Ok, I'll stop now. :p

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:50 AM

Hoffman for CAPOTE wins Best Actor! No surprise, but worthy.

Now TIS.....you are slightly somewhat annoyed with MAFIA, what about Eminem winning that Oscars years back for 8 MILE?

Besides, why anyone thinks that CRASH song is good...then again, why the love for CRASH? If someone can make a somewhat logical, rational, and convincing argument for why it wasn't an overrated melodramatic drama...I would appreciate it.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:51 AM

(Gee, with *only 9 minutes left* ( Why do they never schedule enough time?? ) I might as well continue posting the winners... )

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:51 AM

Quote:
DMC, Oscars do give prestige to the winner and I'm guessing offers for more films. However, there are many one time winners who we seem to never see again. If we're lucky it'll be the case of the "Pimp" singers.
Well to be fair TIS, I will wait for the special edition Oscar release of "It's hard out here for a pimp" before I give my final judgement.

Who knows, maybe I'll have that song at my funeral. Have a 60 year old Priest say "let's all rise while the casket is wheeled to the alter, please sing along as Mary plays it's hard out here.... for a pimp "

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:53 AM

Quote:
what about Eminem winning that Oscars years back for 8 MILE?
I don't recall what the other nominees were that year, but 8 Mile is a great fucking movie, IMHO. :p And any "movie song" that breaks into the mainstream charts (it did, didn't it?) is practically guaranteed to win. I had/have no problem with that.

As for this year, it really didn't matter - all 3 of those songs sucked. What difference does it really make?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:53 AM

RR, I dislike all rap music, even Eminem. Not my "bag" or "cup of tea" or whatever.

As far as Crash, can't answer, I have not seen the movie, but have heard from a few who have that it's good.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:56 AM

Achievement in Cinematography:

The New World
Batman Begins
Brokeback Mountain

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:00 AM

Best Actress:

Charlize Theron (North Country)
Keira Knightley (Pride and Prejudice)
Felicity Huffman (Transamerica)
Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) - winner
Judi Dench (Mrs. Henderson Presents)

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:02 AM

I didn't see the movie, but Reese seems like a very likeable person...down to earth. I hear she was the favorite to win.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:02 AM

end it already Reese......

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
No shit, right? I wanna see the commercials already!!

BTW - You feeling any better, DMC?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:04 AM

Quote:
Ha ha!! Yea, I'll bet she's a talker.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:05 AM

holy shit she went on...i was sitting there and i nearly fell asleep in the middle of eating a slice of pizza.

but it was predicatble.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:06 AM

Every best actress winner has to have a long, emotional speech...that's just the rules!

It was sweet, though.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:07 AM

wasn't it sally fields who started that whole spiel with the "you love me, you really love me" speech?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:07 AM

I'm sure they give more time to Best Actor/Actress/Film than they do for Best Sound Editing of a Short Animated Documentary Foreign Film...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:09 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b] end it already Reese......
No shit, right? I wanna see the commercials already!!

BTW - You feeling any better, DMC? [/b][/quote]A little, nothing really "went away" yet but they've cooled down a little bit, but my temp is still at 100 and the pinkeye is still there

I had to come on the computer because I think constantly laying down and/or under the blankets was keeping my temperature up.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:10 AM

I just remembered the joke they did much earlier with Tom Hanks attempting a long speech, then the band came on stage and started crowding around him so he would leave. The clarinetist poked him...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:10 AM

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Brokeback Mountain - winner
Capote
The Constant Gardener
A History of Violence
Munich

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:11 AM

well this is the part of the show where brokeback mountain takes over. :rolleyes:

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:11 AM

Quote:
The clarinetist poked him...
I thought only flutists did that?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:12 AM

GET ON WITH IT!

*Get on with it!*

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:12 AM

Quote:
well this is the part of the show where brokeback mountain takes over. :rolleyes:
Nah, something like this could be the "pity Oscar"

But who knows... I haven't seen any of the nominated pictures, so can't judge...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:13 AM

Quote:
I just remembered the joke they did much earlier with Tom Hanks attempting a long speech, then the band came on stage and started crowding around him so he would leave. The clarinetist poked him...
but he didn't use his clarinet

reminds me of the dave chappelle skit "the wrap it up box"

Quote:
I thought only flutists did that?
Well, I certainly wouldn't know!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:14 AM

Longest BB Signature:

ronnierocketAGO - winner :p

Best Original Screenplay:

Crash - winner
Match Point
The Squid and the Whale
Syriana

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by mr. soprano:
[b] well this is the part of the show where brokeback mountain takes over. :rolleyes:
Nah, something like this could be the "pity Oscar"

But who knows... I haven't seen any of the nominated pictures, so can't judge... [/b][/quote]munich was absolutely breathtaking. you should watch it don geoff. trust me you'll love it. and walk the line is definatly a sweet biopic.

Brokeback only won one so far??? I got a feeling Crash may be a surprise winner. You think so????

TIS

DMC, you're sick??? You have pink eye? Take it easy and get well soon.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:15 AM

Quote:
and the clarinet was still in its case

Ah, DM, even in sickness, you're "on."

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:17 AM

im hoping munich wins...but hopefully goodnight and goodluck. the person that has definatly defied my expectations this year is george clooney.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:17 AM

Quote:
[b] and the clarinet was still in its case

Ah, DM, even in sickness, you're "on." [/b][/quote]I'm glad you got that, I changed it because I didn't know if it was obvious or not

Gina, if it wasn't for my sense of humor all I'd have is my good looks, superior knowledge, boyish charm and my humble personality.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:18 AM

Quote:
Ah, DM, even in sickness, you're "on."
"Sickness" never leaves, even when ill. I should know...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:19 AM

quote:
good looks, superior knowledge, my boyish charm and my humble personality.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:20 AM

Achievement in Directing:

Bennett Miller (Capote)
Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain) - winner
Steven Spielberg (Munich)
Paul Haggis (Crash)
George Clooney (Good Night, And Good Luck.)

Maybe it wasn't a Pity Oscar then...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:20 AM

you see i told you...this is were it will start. this is when i become disappointed.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:21 AM

Thanks JGeoff....

I would like to thank my parents for their support and monthly checks. I also want to thank my roommate, for his daily routine, I truely feel superior and better in comparison, and finally I want to thank MArtin Scorsese, David Cronenberg, Michael Mann, John Carpenter, Walter Hill, John Milius, Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, Phillip Kaufman, and all the great directors that are why I love films.

BTW, everyone here is mocking BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN...though I haven't seen it....but fuck, if only you all understand my pissful anger that CRASH gets praise and nominations instead of more worthy films like A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE or THE CONSTANT GARDENER or even LAST DAYS.....

Besides, here is a (not) bold prediction: CRASH, MOUNTAIN will be forgotten within 5 years.

Quote:
I'm glad you got that, I changed it because I didn't know if it was obvious or not
Funny you say that, because I was sitting there for a minute imagining the guy poking Tom Hanks with his case...then I caught it and cracked up laughing.

Quote:
you see i told you...this is were it will start. this is when i become disappointed.
This is for DIRECTION, not BEST FILM.... settle down. :p

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:22 AM

Quote:
I would like to thank my parents for their support and monthly checks. I also want to thank my roommate, for his daily routine,...................

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:22 AM

rra i agree with you, they'll wind up like chicago and a beautiful mind. movies that won over great movies. i agree i think a history of violence should have been up there.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:23 AM

BEST PICTURE:

Brokeback Mountain
Munich
Good Night, and Good Luck
Capote
Crash - winner!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:23 AM

what the fuck!!! crash just won? has the world ended..is the sky falling?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:24 AM

Crash???? Wow!!! I'll bet a lot of people are really surprised, especially Brokeback crew.

TIS
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Holy shit, mate. I didn't see that one coming.

OH FUCK....

God dammit, CRASH?!?!?!?!

You know, as overrated and mediocre as BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN can be, not CRASH...oh god, indeed to repeat myself, you all have no clue to the alcohol-fueled anger right now.

I should write a hate letter to Mr. Haggis.

You're still young yet... a few more years of watching this crap and you'll realize it's all horse shit...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:25 AM

White Guilt - 1
Good Taste - 0

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:26 AM

I don't even know WTF Crash is about... but c'mon now... I never heard any buzz about it compared to Brokeback or anything else.....
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:27 AM

Why do we bother watching yet?

Truth be told, I think the reason "Crash" got the Oscar was to spite those analysts who were prediction "Bareback Mountain" to win.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:29 AM

OH YEAH! let the blowhards blow!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:29 AM

Every year I say I'm not gonna watch this crap, yet every year, here I am!

And gee, only 30 minutes late???? Must be some type of record for shortest amount of time over-time!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
OH YEAH! let the blowhards blow!
Ah, and here's the biggest of all!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:31 AM

Crash won Best Picture!?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Crash won Best Picture!?
It was supposed to be Brokeback Mountain but what happened was they were told they were going to receive Oscar but they insisted on giving it to Oscar

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:35 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by fathersson:
[b] OH YEAH! let the blowhards blow!
Ah, and here's the biggest of all! [/b][/quote]Gee Geoff, I never figured you to be a blowhard.
But thanks for the warning!
I'll try and skip the rest of your oscar bashing posts.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:35 AM

My friends felt that Jon Stewart was terrible...thoughts?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:37 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by J Geoff:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by fathersson:
[b] OH YEAH! let the blowhards blow!
Ah, and here's the biggest of all! [/b][/quote]Gee Geoff, I never figured you to be a blowhard.
But thanks for the warning!
I'll try and skip the rest of your oscar bashing posts. [/b][/quote]LMAO!!!!
Posted By: DonColletti

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:37 AM

I'm so happy for Crash. I really enjoyed the film and I believe it deserved the oscar.

Who am I kidding, I just didn't want Brokeback to win.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:39 AM

Does "Sucks" mean anything. The worst ever. I would have never have thought that of him.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:39 AM

Quote:
I thought he was *okay* -- nothing special...

Anyway - Now that this crap is over, and I nicely built up my post count ( ), I'm gonna go catch up on some more Sopranos Season 5 eps...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:40 AM

Well has anyone here actually seen Crash??? From what I have heard it's about all kinds of prejudice. I do know that Matt Dillon plays a racist cop. I've always thought he was an under-rated actor. Someone clarify if I'm wrong but I think it's a large cast with many different storylines based on prejudice/racism. Is that right???

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:44 AM

I swear to God I wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night to watch Oscars ever again...

Jon Stewart was nowhere as funny as he was on Oprah, I really expected more of him, but he didn't even do as good as Chris Rock did last year. I was really bored.

It Is Hard to Be a Pimp won an Oscar? Jeez...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:44 AM

Jon Stewart was good.

Anyway, Crash did not deserve Best Picture, and Stewart said the best thing in the entire show.

For those counting at home: Martin Scorsese-zero Oscars, 36 Mafia-one.

The best part of the night was Robert Altman.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:47 AM

I was a little disappointed that they didn't include Don Knotts in memorial part of the show. And Richard Bright for that matter

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
I was a little disappointed that they didn't include Don Knotts in memorial part of the show. And Richard Bright for that matter
Could it be that both were more on the small screen?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:52 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Mignon:
[b] I was a little disappointed that they didn't include Don Knotts in memorial part of the show. And Richard Bright for that matter
Could it be that both were more on the small screen? [/b][/quote]Or they died after the montage was completed?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:53 AM

So!!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:53 AM

I think Jon Stewart was pretty good. I feel he did hold back somewhat, but imagine that was a good thing, since he can get pretty political, as we know. I really think Billy Crystal is good at hosting.

As far as the movie winners, I am indifferent since I didn't see any of them. However, all the buzz was Brokeback Mountain, that I'm guessing they are all somewhat disappointed. Of all the nominated films however, the only one I may see on the big screen is Crash, and that's only because I've heard a few people say it was good.

TIS

Btw, they didn't show Darrin McGavin either did they?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:54 AM

Quote:
Jon Stewart was good.

Anyway, Crash did not deserve Best Picture, and Stewart said the best thing in the entire show.

For those counting at home: Martin Scorsese-zero Oscars, 36 Mafia-one.
This is weird me saying this but I agree with Vercetti

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:57 AM

Quote:

Btw, they didn't show Darrin McGavin either did they?
You think they would've took the time to add these men to the memorial. Small screen or not.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:01 AM

Well, it is kind of like two different mediums.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:02 AM

Quote:
So!!
I imagine since these guys just died that they would be included on the next Oscars. The only reason I imagine Chris Penn was on it is because he died over a month ago.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:38 AM

It's a good thing that George Clooney won for Syriana. Now I don't have to go on a murderous rampage er...I mean letter writing protest campaign to vent my agression...Although I haven't seen Hustle & Flow I'm hearing that it is a pretty decent movie and the buzz around it is more than warranted. However, although the other songs in the category looked like shit too, did "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" really deserve the best song statue?...Also it's too bad that Paradise Now (Palestine) did not win the best foreign language award but in this case I'm truly glad that it was nominated and I hope that one day a Palestinian film wins the award.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:40 AM

Is it a good movie or did you want it to win just for the sake of a Palestinian film winning?
Posted By: svsg

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:43 AM

Quote:
Well has anyone here actually seen Crash??? From what I have heard it's about all kinds of prejudice. I do know that Matt Dillon plays a racist cop. I've always thought he was an under-rated actor. Someone clarify if I'm wrong but I think it's a large cast with many different storylines based on prejudice/racism. Is that right???

TIS
Yes, it is a movie about racism. Matt Dillon acts really well, but the movie was nothing great. A little surprised that it won. Probably becasue of the subject rather than the quality of the movie, I guess.
Posted By: DonColletti

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:43 AM

Quote:
I really think Billy Crystal is good at hosting.
I remember when Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars. It was the same year that Titanic came out. There was a clip of Crystal in the movies that were in for the running of Best Picture. He was shown topless just as Rose had been in the movie as his picture was being drawn. That's one of my first Oscar memories.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:47 AM

What pisses me off is that the Academy ignores Indie movies like Last Days and Broken Flowers. And where the fuck was Jarhead?

Hell, the least they could've done is nominate "Death to Birth" by Pagoda as Best Original Song. Instead we get Dolly and 36 Mafia. :rolleyes:

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:49 AM

I will be completely honest and admit that I have not seen the movie yet but I am interested in either purchasing or renting the dvd. The reason I wanted to see it win is because from every thing I've heard and read about the film, it is extremely powerful, gripping and is neither anti-Semitic or anti-Palestinian/Arab/Muslim (although there are those on both sides who can and will take offense). I'm actually ashamed that I have not yet seen a movie of such importance and if it had won the award this would make more people (not myself, as I am going to eventually see it anyway) see it. Movies such as Paradise Now, Syriana and others don't normally win too many Academy Awards so I think it's extremely positive when they win or are nominated.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:53 AM

Quote:
And where the fuck was Jarhead?

Hell, the least they could've done is nominate "Death to Birth" by Pagoda as Best Original Song. Instead we get Dolly and 36 Mafia. :rolleyes:
Exactly my thoughts on these two. Jarhead is a sad omission. And "Death to birth" was an excellent song for even a non-fan like me. But to be fair I haven't heard the songs by 36 Mafia.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:19 AM

Quote:
36 Mafia. :rolleyes:
Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
I haven't heard the songs by 36 Mafia.
K, one misspelling is enough - second time, I gotta correct you: it's Three 6 Mafia, k? Not Thirty-Six Mafia :p

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:22 AM

Hey, at least we can be happy a film associated with the mafia won an award.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
Hey, at least we can be happy a film associated with the mafia won an award.
Dis fockin' guy!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:27 AM

Quote:
BEST PICTURE:

Brokeback Mountain
Munich
Good Night, and Good Luck
Capote
Crash - [b]winner!
[/b]
Well, I was sure the Academy was not ready yet to award a movie about homosexuality. No matter how good the movie is. And BBM is a VERY GOOD movie. In fact, in my (and many many others') opinion, it's a masterpiece.
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonColletti:

Who am I kidding, I just didn't want Brokeback to win.
why?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:30 AM

I haven't seen it yet, Lav... I wish I had before this joke-parade of Hollywood! But yeah, I've heard only good things about it (from those who've actually SEEN in), so I was kinda rooting for it. Ah, well...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:32 AM

Quote:
You know, as overrated and mediocre as BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN can be,
whose opinion is this?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:35 AM

Quote:
Besides, here is a (not) bold prediction: CRASH, MOUNTAIN will be forgotten within 5 years.
Don't know anything about Crash, but Brokeback Mountain will be not forgotten, Ronnie. At least by those who love movies which got something to tell.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:36 AM

Agreed

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:38 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Crash won Best Picture!?
It was supposed to be Brokeback Mountain but what happened was they were told they were going to receive Oscar but they insisted on giving it to Oscar [/b][/quote]:rolleyes: this is very typical and explains too well why this movie was not given a well deserved Oscar.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:43 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen it yet, Lav... I wish I had before this joke-parade of Hollywood! But yeah, I've heard only good things about it (from those who've actually SEEN in), so I was kinda rooting for it. Ah, well...
Geoff, I'm absolutely in love with this movie. I don't give a damn if it's about two gay men. I found it to be a wonderful, heartbreaking love story tout court. So please, go watch it ASAP, I'd love to hear what is your opinion.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:44 AM

Lav - DMC was just joking, "tongue-in-cheek" like...

(I think, anyway!)

As I said, I've only heard great things about it -- from those who've actually SEEN IT. As for the rest, well, I don't know....

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:47 AM

I actually don't get to the theater that often - to me, it has to be worthy of a 60-foot screen (and that usually means Sci-Fi)... But, I will be first (or maybe second) in line to get the DVD when it's released!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
Agreed
thanks Mista. I'm totally disgusted by the Academy, but am glad you agree. We are the minority here. We few, we happy few.....

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 08:51 AM

Quote:
But, I will be first (or maybe second) in line to get the DVD when it's released!
I heard in the USA it should be released early in April. I'll buy it too (unfortunately I got to wait longer).

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 09:33 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by J Geoff:
[b] I haven't seen it yet, Lav... I wish I had before this joke-parade of Hollywood! But yeah, I've heard only good things about it (from those who've actually SEEN in), so I was kinda rooting for it. Ah, well...
Geoff, I'm absolutely in love with this movie. I don't give a damn if it's about two gay men. I found it to be a wonderful, heartbreaking love story tout court. So please, go watch it ASAP, I'd love to hear what is your opinion. [/b][/quote]I'm glad I'm not the only person on the boards who loved Brokeback Mountain and was pulling for it in all cateogires that it was nominated for. I was also pulling for Phoenix for his portrayal of Johnny Cash but I knew he wouldn't win. Reese, Rachael and George really weren't a surprise either.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 10:05 AM

What is Three 6 Mafia?

Edit: Never mind.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:18 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
[b] Besides, here is a (not) bold prediction: CRASH, MOUNTAIN will be forgotten within 5 years.
Don't know anything about Crash, but Brokeback Mountain will be not forgotten, Ronnie. At least by those who love movies which got something to tell. [/b][/quote]Oh please. Same thing's been said about last year's Best Picture, the year before that's last picture, etc.

Anyway folks, Three 6 Mafia 1 Oscar, Martin Scorsese 0. :rolleyes:

While Crash was a decent film, it's no where near Oscar worthy. And yes, RRA, it will be forgotten.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:25 AM

I still don't see how 3-6 Mafia and Martin Scorsese are comparable. I hated their song so much I even didn't pay attention that Three 6 Mafia was their band name.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:38 PM

Quote:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Crash won Best Picture!?
It was supposed to be Brokeback Mountain but what happened was they were told they were going to receive Oscar but they insisted on giving it to Oscar [/b][/quote]:rolleyes: this is very typical and explains too well why this movie was not given a well deserved Oscar. [/b][/quote]Lavinia- it was a joke.
But in my opinion, I don't think this movie would get half the publicity that it did if it was about 2 straight cowboys. The Gay Community rallied behind it and every tv or talk show had at least 1 gay person come on and talk about how great it is for the gay community and for the world.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 01:41 PM

I think there is an echo in this place...... anyway I don't know if anyone heard this part last night but

For those keeping score at home,Martin Scorsese 0 Oscars,three 6 Mafia one Oscar
:rolleyes: :p

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:06 PM

I'm hearing a couple "reviews" this morning thrashing Stewart's performance hosting the Oscars.

Granted, there have been better, but I didn't think he was bad at all.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:39 PM

Quote:
I was a little disappointed that they didn't include Don Knotts in memorial part of the show....(
Although he did do a few movies, Don Knotts was basically a television star. We'll see him mentioned on the Emmy Awards this coming September. And I'm sure there will be a special tribute to him on the TV Land Awards later this month.

Anyway, even it they had intended to include him...Knotts died just a week before the Oscar telecast. They usually have those montages ready by then and there may have been no time to include people who happen to die within a week of the awards telecast.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:44 PM

Quote:
I'm hearing a couple "reviews" this morning thrashing Stewart's performance hosting the Oscars.

Granted, there have been better, but I didn't think he was bad at all. ...
I too thought at the beginning that he was going to be aweful. Then I realized he was understandably nervous and began rooting for him to find his pace. Hosting an awards show, especially the Oscars is a VERY difficult task and I think overall he did end up doing a good job for his first outing...I hope they ask him back next year.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 02:52 PM

Apple,

And weren't you just "getting down" during the performance of "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp?" Definitely the highlight for me.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:04 PM

Quote:
Lavinia- it was a joke.
I'm glad to hear that, DMC. A kidding smiley would have helped me to not get you wrong. Sorry

Quote:
But in my opinion, I don't think this movie would get half the publicity that it did if it was about 2 straight cowboys. The Gay Community rallied behind it and every tv or talk show had at least 1 gay person come on and talk about how great it is for the gay community and for the world.
Well, publicity has its own ways and behind any movie there is publicity to support it. The gay community has any right to support the movie because it got a tremendous potential for them. They see the movie as theirs. And rightly so. However I have no particular interest in the political/social impact of the gay-related issues, so I personally don't see at the movie as a "gay thing" uniquely. I love to interpret it more as the story of a denied love (and the devastation, the unhappiness, the solitude this causes, which I can relate very well to) rather than a "gay cowboy story". It could have been about a man and a woman of different religion, or any other forbidden love because of any social stigma (a married man in love with another woman and vice versa, a woman in love with a priest, a woman in love with a much younger man and so on). And even so, if it was portrayed as artistically as BBM was, I would have considered it a masterpiece as well. I personally consider "The remainings of the day" by James Ivory a masterpiece. An extremely underrated splendid movie, starring a gigantic Anthony Hopkins. Here is again the story a denied love. No gays, no pruderies. Just a man incapable of getting out of his own golden cage and the realization of the happiness he had at hand and lost when it's too late.
You asked what if BBM was about two straights? I think it would have been perceived as less "dangerous" and who knows? It would have been easily given the Oscar it deserved. But then again, since this story is the story of two men in love, well, gays are rightely proud of it. And it's ok with me. Art is art. I don't care what community is the sponsor.

Honestly I was hopeful in the Academy there was less bigotry by now, even if somewhere in my mind I had this fear. I'm glad in Europe the "gay love story" did not prevent this movie to get all the recognitions it deserved. I'm especially proud that this movie was first awarded in my country (Venice, september 2005, golden lion for best picture).

BTW, have you watched the movie?
Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:13 PM

Brokeback Mountain

An argentinian composer won an oscar for the soundtrack, Gustavo Santaolalla.

http://www.bmi.com/news/200601/20060118a.asp

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:13 PM

Quote:
... weren't you just "getting down" during the performance of "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp?" ...
Didn't watch it. As promised, after the opening monologue and Clooney's Supporting Actor win...we pretty much switched back & forth to it the rest of the evening. At one point we did happen to turn it on and they were in the middle of that number.

My daughter said it all when she asked , 'WHAT are they DOING???'. I replied that they were trying to sing a nominated song and then we switched back to Disney Channel where she was happily viewing 'Mulan'.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
Brokeback Mountain

An argentinian composer won an oscar for the soundtrack, Gustavo Santaolalla.

http://www.bmi.com/news/200601/20060118a.asp
yeah, wonderful soundtrack. Heartbreaking. Perfect. Congrats to your countryman, DPN!

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:37 PM

Quote:

BTW, have you watched the movie?
No, I haven't, and I'm not one of those people who can say if something is oscar worthy or not oscar worthy (I liked Batman Begins so I'll say thats Oscar Worthy ) I just haven't heard anything about the actual storyline of the movie or the movie itself being that great until they bring in the fact that it was about 2 gay men. It seems to me from what I've heard that if the movie was about 2 straight people that it would have been just another love story and no big deal about it.

I'll give an example to see if I can clear up my point. The movie 50 first dates (I haven't seen it) but I heard nothing good about it and most people have forgotten it. If it is the exact same story but you put Adam Sandler with another man rather than a woman should that make it oscar worthy, in my opinion it doesn't.

As far as my joke was concerned, maybe I'm hanging out with plaw too much

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 03:51 PM

Memoirs of a Geisha winning Best Cinematography (and two others) was my biggest disappointment. I didn't care for any of the big awards anyway.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:01 PM

Quote:
It seems to me from what I've heard that if the movie was about 2 straight people that it would have been just another love story and no big deal about it.
ok, it's a beautiful, heartbreaking gay love story. What's the difference? The film is great not because it's about two gay men. It is great because it amazingly shows two people in love (which happen to be gay) that cannot be happy because of social pressures. And it does so with two amazing actors (both deserving an Oscar IMO), few words and no special effects. Thought provoking not (just) because of the gay issues, but because it shows the total devastation of two people which are denied to be what they really are.

Quote:
If it is the exact same story but you put Adam Sandler with another man rather than a woman should that make it oscar worthy, in my opinion it doesn't.
You mean, making a comedy out of a tragedy?
sorry I think I didn't see what you mean.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:07 PM

Lavinia I didn't mean making a comedy out of a tragedy. I don't know how to describe what I mean. It's like if you take any regular love story ever made, and without making a comedy of it or anything just make it 2 gay men I personally don't think that should make it any more oscar worthy than the original.

I'm very bad at putting my thoughts into words, maybe someone can help

I understand what you are saying, that you feel it is a great STORY no matter if it was 2 gay men, 2 gay women, or 2 straight people (right?). My argument is that I have heard that it isn't even a great story.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 04:12 PM

I didn't watch all of the Oscars, after they get into special effects and costume that pretty much puts me to sleep. But in regards to Jon Stewart's hosting skills I don't think he was in any way fabulous, but he did have his good moments. His joke about Dick Cheney shooting Bjork and the whole skit of him saying what people are saying about L.A., but that he didn't have a joke, he just wanted them to know that's what people are saying, they were funny. I think we're trying to compare everyone to Billy Crystal, or maybe even Steve Martin. That's not fair to anyone I think. As long as David Letterman or Whoopi don't host it again I think it will be fine.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 05:02 PM

For the first time in a long time I thought all the oscars were awarded to the right people in the right categories. I never saw Brokeback Mountain, but if it does have any merit, it would be in the writinig, and thats what won.
"Crash" was definitely the best picture of the year, the guy who played Capote was the best actor, Clooney was the best supporting actor, no question. As for supporting actress, she did a solid job in an otherwise great movie, and I hope it causes people to go out and see it or at least rent the DVD. As for Reese Witherspoon, she was terrific, and probably cause she did her own singing merited her getting the award. In her case, however I also think she has been a a huge box office draw for many years now, so in part she was being rewarded for bringing in lots of money in lots of movies.

As for Jon Stewart....well, I remain a Daily SHow fan, but he was way in over his head. They should use Billy Crystal every year.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 06:35 PM

My problem with Brokeback Mountain is the schematic way in which it treats its characters. The opening sequence is really beautiful; after the first summer, the narrative jumps ahead as frequently as it does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (although in that film, they were going back in time). What we get is a repetitive, heavy-handed film in which neither character really interested me. Director Lee lacks subtlety for the most part--tellingly, it takes less time to read the novella than it does to watch the film.

If it had been about a heterosexual couple, I'd've felt the same; but then, if it had been, it wouldn't have been made. Nor would it have even got an Oscar nod. Crash wouldn't have won either, had it not tackled racism and delivered a message that we should all know anyway: racism is bad.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
As for Jon Stewart....well, I remain a Daily SHow fan, but he was way in over his head. They should use Billy Crystal every year.
Billy Crystal has made a Crysal clea, (pun intended) that he doesn't want to host it anymore.

I think if they're looking for a host who could bring the same comic relief as a host maybe they should consider Robin Williams.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 07:14 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
[b] You know, as overrated and mediocre as BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN can be,
whose opinion is this? [/b][/quote]Obviously his, since he stated it?

Am I the only one who doesn't blame homophobia on it not winning? The Academy is more then ready for a homosexual love film. What they aren't ready for are Independent films that get recognition at smaller awards. Why do you think Crash won? Because it's about loving each other and blah blah blah. A good movie but ridiculously overrated.

Quote:
Memoirs of a Geisha winning Best Cinematography (and two others) was my biggest disappointment. I didn't care for any of the big awards anyway.
It also beat The New World in that category, which I hear has excellent cinematography. To be fair though I have yet to see either.
Posted By: Don Giorgio Gambino

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 07:22 PM

Well, it's been quite awhile since I been here and nothing has changed!...which is a horrible, horrible thing.

Astounded that Crash didn't win, since I'm a huge Brokeback fan, but it's still a good choice (needless to say, all five nominees were fantastic)

"It's Out Here For A Pimp" won! WHohooo! A very cool song, really great acceptance speech. It would have been great if Placido Domingo had sung the song like he wanted, but 3 6 Mafia was still good (after all, they wrote the song) I couldn't wait to hear the responses of the uptight, uppity-clappity turruntuntuns who haven't seen the movie, but bashed the song anyways

Mighty glad Hoffman, Whiterspoon and THE MAN (George Clooney) won.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 09:04 PM

Lavi, Brokeback Mountain received tons of recognition over here. Most everyone was shocked that it didn't get the Best Picture Oscar. So, it did receive recognition. Alot of it.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by don vencent:
WHY :rolleyes:
Because you're oversensitive.

Yeah, we're all racist swine! :rolleyes: Seriously, grow up. And for the record, Eminem wasn't Oscar worthy. This year the nominees weren't good either. If anyone it should've been "Death to Birth," which wasn't nominated.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:28 PM

Quote:
you guys sound like a bunch of cry babes my God
THREE 6 MAFIA won because em I don,t know it was
the best song :rolleyes: but it's funnie nobody said noting
when that white rapper won a oscar for 8 mile I WONDER
Yea, you're right don vencent. Nobody complained about Eminem winning that Oscar because he's white. And we're ALL complaining because Three 6 Mafia are black. You hit the nail right on the head, son. :rolleyes:

ANYway, the Oscars were ok last night. I was shocked that Crash won best picture. I was pulling for Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor, but I'm not upset that Phillip Seymour Hoffman won. He definitely earned it.

Oh, and in case you're keeping track: Three 6 Mafia: one Oscar. Martin Scorsese: 0 Oscars. (sorry, had to jump on the bandwagon )

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:38 PM

Quote:
You are obviously calling us racists but I'd have more respect for you if you just came out and said the word. But besides that, since you are WONDERING WHY, can you show me where JG posted that Eminem won an oscar? I sure didn't see him post it, and I was watching a basketball game and switching to the oscars when I had the chance. So use all of your little smilies and mad faces but before you start accusing people of something such as racism why don't you stop and think first.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
[QUOTE]...I think if they're looking for a host who could bring the same comic relief as a host maybe they should consider Robin Williams.
I wouldn't want to see Robin hosting...he's just too all over the place and while it was neat some 30 years ago, now when he's on a roll it just looks silly.

Personally, I thought the best host in recent years next to Billy Crystal was Steve Martin. I can't imagine why they didn't ask him back..unless maybe he too has declined from doing it again.

And if David Letterman was asked to host all those years ago, I can't see why the don't invite Jay Leno at least on time as well.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:49 PM

Does anybody else think that Ben Stiller's skit was stupid?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/06/06 11:51 PM

Quote:

I think I'd rather see 5 minutes of the accounts then that weird skit.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 12:08 AM

Anybody know what happened with Lauren Bacall? I switched on in the middle of her presentation and she seemed a bit confused for a second, then looked ok. I thought maybe she was having trouble with the teleprompter. Then a friend of mine who saw the whole thing said at one point she seemed to put her arm out, as if to steady herself.

Senior moment? After all she's 81. I bet it was the teleprompter, though.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 12:27 AM

She was flubbing a few lines.

The best moment aside the Robert Altman award last night was the montage of classic westerns with "gay" moments.

John Wayne: I want you on that wagon spread eagle!
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 01:31 AM

Though I was very happy that Crash won, I thought Jon Stewart sucked, and the rest of the show was a joke too. It seemed very "mainstream" this year. When Racheal Weiz(sp) won, the annoncer made a comment about being known for the Mummy films. :rolleyes: I missed the first half, but from what I did see, I didnt miss much.

Altman's award was nice, though.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 01:56 AM

I noticed Bacall messed up a little. She seemed somewhat confused. However, I want to say she talked a little funny, as though maybe she had a stroke???? I hadn't heard that she did, I just got that impression. Yet, it's true, it may just be a senior moment.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 03:28 AM

First off, why am I attacking MOUNTAIN, a movie I haven't seen? Really, I was just restating what Capo said, who apparently didn't much like it.

But fuck, I wished MOUNTAIN had won, that way CRASH wouldn'
t have won...

No really, no one has said WHY "CRASH" deserved the Best Picture Oscar of 2005. Why? Was it touching? Was the acting superb? Was the script(*vomits*) great?

Why?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 04:43 AM

Quote:
But fuck, I wished MOUNTAIN had won, that way CRASH wouldn't have won...

No really, no one has said WHY "CRASH" deserved the Best Picture Oscar of 2005. Why? Was it touching? Was the acting superb? Was the script(*vomits*) great?

Why?
ronnie you bring up a good point. I thought it was laughable that Crash was even nominated. Now that it won makes me sick. I'll chalk this up on the Oscar list that the Academy screwed up on, which currently has:

1) Denzel Washington winning Best Actor for Training Day over Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind

2) Martin Scorsese not winning ONE Oscar for Raging Bull

3) Martin Scorsese not winning ONE Oscar for Goodfellas

4) Now Crash winning Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 08:20 AM

Quote:
Obviously his, since he stated it?
obviously not, because he hasn't watched the movie yet AFAIK. So I guess he's not in the position to state BBM is "overrated and mediocre" unless he's using someone else's opinion.

Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't blame homophobia on it not winning? The Academy is more then ready for a homosexual love film.
they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. They still have problems when it comes to a true homosexual love story, a romantic one. This threatens them. So, in their minds it's better to award a movie like Crash. It's politically correct and makes an excellent shield for their so called progressive consciences!

You know what? Today I'm even angrier than yesterday! So you better don't tease me on the BBM oscar snub.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 08:44 AM

Quote:
Actually that was the only part of the show that I loved.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 09:00 AM

Quote:
[b] Am I the only one who doesn't blame homophobia on it not winning? The Academy is more then ready for a homosexual love film.
they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. They still have problems when it comes to a true homosexual love story, a romantic one. This threatens them. So, in their minds it's better to award a movie like Crash. It's politically correct and makes an excellent shield for their so called progressive consciences! [/b][/quote]I don't think it was because of homosexual theme that BBM didn't win either. Editing for Crash won, so I think they must've somehow thought that it was a better film, not because of its theme but because of the overall film techniques.

As for how they came up with this idea, Three 6 Mafia won an Oscar, enough said.

BTW, I haven't watched either of the two, so I can't give my personal opinion.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
What we get is a repetitive, heavy-handed film in which neither character really interested me. Director Lee lacks subtlety for the most part--tellingly, it takes less time to read the novella than it does to watch the film.
Mick, I read the novella and it didn't really strike me as much as the movie did and yes, I guess it took me less than 135 minutes to read it. But what does it means? To me, it adds more merits to the movie. In my opinion it purposedly has a slow pace, since there cannot be much action where the characters are stuck in a very frustrating situation ("a goddam bitch of a a unsatisfactory situation") where "nothing ended, nothing began, nothing resolved". I think the movie, as intimist as it is, nonetheless shows us a rather clear pattern. Two people meet. They are not supposed to fall in love. Despite all, they do. Desperately. They cannot live together, they cannot live apart. All they have is Brokeback Mountain, a place where they lived a short season of happiness and could be true to their own selves. But it's all they got. When one of them dies, the other cannot but cherish the memories of the only love of his life. This, at least, will be not taken away. The rest is just emptiness and solitude.

Not much action, you see. A lot of emotions, though. The more I think of it, the more my heart breaks.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 11:13 AM

Quote:
obviously not, because he hasn't watched the movie yet AFAIK. So I guess he's not in the position to state BBM is "overrated and mediocre" unless he's using someone else's opinion.
Ah, I misread his post the same way you did. :p

But still, the Academy is more then ready. The only reason Crash won is due to the fact it's about all races and not just one minority. Sort of a grand slam, politically correct-wise. Had Crash not been on, Brokeback Mountain would win.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 11:43 AM

Quote:
they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. They still have problems when it comes to a true homosexual love story, a romantic one. This threatens them. So, in their minds it's better to award a movie like Crash. It's politically correct and makes an excellent shield for their so called progressive consciences!
Prissy and ridiculous? Truman Capote?

Well Brokeback WAS nominated for everything and it DID win 3 Oscars, just not Best Picture. The Academy is more than ready to award a gay love film. It was the most nominated film out there, was it not?

You can't blame homophobia on Brokeback Mountain losing. Upsets happen.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 02:17 PM

Quote:
...they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. ... Today I'm even angrier than yesterday! So you better don't tease me on the BBM oscar snub ...
I hate to break it to you...but Truman Capote was a genius not to mention a very interesting guy. Have you bothered to read any of his writings? As a kid, I used to thoroughly enjoy his appearances on the Merv Griffin show.

You seem to feel that Brokenback Mountain didn't win Best Picture precisely because of the gay cowboys. It is entirely possible that once they viewed both pictures, more Academy voters decided in the end that 'Crash' was simply the better film. There was talk all week prior to the awards, and right up to that evening that 'Crash' might just be the breakout winner. So it was really not a surprise to me.

Unless you truly feel that Brokenback should have won because it was a better film than Crash (of which the majority of Academy voters did not agree), then I can't understand why you are 'angry'.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I hate to break it to you...but Truman Capote was a genius not to mention a very interesting guy. Have you bothered to read any of his writings?
Obviously I was talking about the character, not the actual Truman Capote whose geniality I'm not even dreaming of questioning and I'm sorry if I gave this impression. I was talking of the eccentric looks, the effeminate aspects, à la Cage aux folles, if you prefer. So totally different from the "two gay cowboys" whose masculinity nobody could ever question, which, in my opinion is, for some people, way more "dangerous" and "frightful" just because is so far from the rather harmless gay stereotype everyone is more or less familiar with.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 02:48 PM

Whats all the fuss. How about this....Crash was a better movie than Brokeback Mountain. Nothing more than that.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Prissy and ridiculous? Truman Capote?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, DA. I was not talking of the writer. Just of the character. The looks of the character, to be more accurate.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 02:49 PM

Quote:
Three 6 Mafia gave the most upbeat and sincerely happy acceptance speech of anyone.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Whats all the fuss. How about this....Crash was a better movie than Brokeback Mountain. Nothing more than that.
This is your opinion. Mine is different. That's all, DT.
Posted By: Don Giorgio Gambino

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 04:23 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by don vencent:
[b] WHY :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're all racist swine! :rolleyes: Seriously, grow up. And for the record, Eminem wasn't Oscar worthy. This year the nominees weren't good either. If anyone it should've been "Death to Birth," which wasn't nominated. [/b][/quote]Eminem deserved the Oscar as did 3 6 Mafia, both upbeat songs from movies that knew what they were...movies about inner street characters and rough-edged situations. 3 6 Mafia deserved it. Of course, you are biased against Rap, so that's why you are complaining.

Death to Birth was a pretentious song from a vapidly pretentious movie.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 06:36 PM

Quote:
Not much action, you see. A lot of emotions, though. The more I think of it, the more my heart breaks.
I agree with Lavinia on this. This whole scenario makes sense only in the context of a taboo/impossible relationship. At the same time their mutual love is as real and true as any other heterosexual one. So it is a tragedy and the movie brought it out very well. Crash was cliched, coincidence and stereotype filled story. It had a message, but I hate movies with an explicit preachy message.
On the other hand, I would put jarhead even ahead of BBM. That is the kind of movie that will become a celebrated one years later.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 06:52 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]...Sorry for the misunderstanding, DA. I was not talking of the writer. Just of the character. The looks of the character, to be more accurate.
The portrayal in the movie is based upon the real life Truman Capote. So are you saying that audiences are somehow more comfortable with the eccentric, more flamboyant type of homosexual as Capote was (or the comical one played by Nathan Lane in 'Birdcage)...rather than the fictional cowboys in love depicted in Brokeback Mtn?

But aside from that, do you truly feel that the cowboys in love theme is the reason for it not winning Best Picture over Crash?

Frankly, I hadn't even heard of the film 'Crash' until this past week as it got close to Oscar night. Contrary to all they hype around Brokeback Mtn precisely because of the subject matter. The fact that the move that received MUCH less publicity was still considered worthy of the Best Picture vote speaks volumes for the work itself.

Though I haven't seen either of them...it appears more and more that the right movie won.

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Giorgio Gambino:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by don vencent:
[b] WHY :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're all racist swine! :rolleyes: Seriously, grow up. And for the record, Eminem wasn't Oscar worthy. This year the nominees weren't good either. If anyone it should've been "Death to Birth," which wasn't nominated. [/b][/quote]Eminem deserved the Oscar as did 3 6 Mafia, both upbeat songs from movies that knew what they were...movies about inner street characters and rough-edged situations. 3 6 Mafia deserved it. Of course, you are biased against Rap, so that's why you are complaining.

Death to Birth was a pretentious song from a vapidly pretentious movie. [/b][/quote]How is Last Days pretentious? Once again I hear that horrible word still being used without any backing up. Last Days personally, I feel is the best of last year. A haunting character study that never felt like a movie. "Death to Birth" was also a great song, with wonderful lyrics. Of course we're called biased. You hate gays! You hate rap!

I'm really tired of this shit. People simply can't realize that Crash was politically better for the Academy's image, being a multi-character film about racism. As for Last Days, how is it pretentious? Gus Van Sant's Death Trilogy are all masterworks, IMO. Cinderella Man, was pretentious. Crash was somewhat pretentious. Domino was pretentious. How the hell is Van Sant pretentious?

As Capo said, the way most people use "pretentious" is pretentious in itself.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 08:33 PM

DGG, welcome back. Good to see an old face around. You may even want to venture over the new Film board , which we all migrated to after a year or two of your absence.

I fail to see how Last Days is pretentious. It's slow, experimental, decidedly arthouse stuff which you wouldn't see near a multiplex. Does that make it pretentious?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 11:26 PM

I gotta agree with DV here....how the hell is LAST DAYS pretentious?

CRASH...that's pretentious melodrama for the whiney soul.

P.S. - Anyone still willing to tell me why CRASH deserved the top prize? I mean stand up for it folks, I mean I'll give you credit for that at least...just why?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 11:28 PM

It reminds me of all the people calling Last Days an attempt to whore money off of Cobain. Yeah, that's why he isn't mentioned in any promotion aside interviews, and the final credit while any other diretor would put "BASED ON KURT COBAIN" everywhere.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/07/06 11:33 PM

I know DV, I know.

On the same token of "whoring"....what about WALK THE LINE? A really nice film, but still, doesn't that term still technically allowable for that movie?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 12:00 AM

Quote:
On the same token of "whoring"....what about WALK THE LINE? A really nice film, but still, doesn't that term still technically allowable for that movie?
Well, WALK THE LINE was in fact based on Johnny Cash's life, while LAST DAYS is vaguely based Kurt Cobain.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 01:22 AM

Quote:

It was the only one out of the 5 I'd seen, but I thought it was very good. Sure, prehaps the concept has been done before, but compared to some that have won in the recent past (LOTR, Sideways)Crash definately deserved it. It was not whiney melodramatic crap, it was simply the tales of people's lives. It was done well, and was refreshingly diffrent than the rest of the films that were released last year.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 01:42 AM

Quote:
are you saying that audiences are somehow more comfortable with the eccentric, more flamboyant type of homosexual as Capote was (or the comical one played by Nathan Lane in 'Birdcage)...rather than the fictional cowboys in love depicted in Brokeback Mtn?

I know you're not asking me, but I'd say yes.

Not that that's necessarily what Lavinia is saying - altho I think it is - but, "yes" I'd agree with that statement for pretty much the same reasons she gave.

Quote:
Frankly, I hadn't even heard of the film 'Crash' until this past week as it got close to Oscar night. Contrary to all they hype around Brokeback Mtn precisely because of the subject matter. The fact that the move that received MUCH less publicity was still considered worthy of the Best Picture vote speaks volumes for the work itself.

Though I haven't seen either of them...it appears more and more that the right movie won.
I don't see how you can say that without having seen either one and forming your own opinion.

I haven't seen either myself, so I have absolutely no idea whatsoever which one - if either - should have won since all of the criteria used in judging is 100% subjective.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 02:52 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE]...Not that that's necessarily what Lavinia is saying - altho I think it is - but, "yes" I'd agree with that statement for pretty much the same reasons she gave....
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. Either the answer or the fact that you sought out only my post to reply to.

:rolleyes:

Apple

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 02:56 AM

It merited a response.

The first part I was more agreeing with Lavinia than responding to what you said.

The second part, I was really wondering.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 03:09 AM

For anyone who cares, we have our own voting at the Film board. Here were my picks.

Best Film
Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog)
Last Days (Gus Van Sant)
Match Point (Woody Allen)
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (Martin Scorsese)

Best Director
Jim Jarmusch (Broken Flowers)
Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man)
Gus Van Sant (Last Days)
Woody Allen (Match Point)
Martin Scorsese (No Direction Home: Bob Dylan)

Best Male Performance
Bill Murray (Broken Flowers)
Jake Gyllenhaal (Jarhead)
Michael Pitt (Last Days)
George Clooney (Syriana)
Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line)

Best Female Performance
Frances Conroy (Broken Flowers)
Jessica Lange (Broken Flowers)
Scarlett Johansson (Match Point)
Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line)

Best Original Screenplay
Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
Match Point (Woody Allen)

Best Adapted Screenplay
Batman Begins
Jarhead
Sin City
Syriana
War of the Worlds

Best Cinematography
Broken Flowers
Grizzly Man
Jarhead
Last Days
Syriana

Best Experiment
Grizzly Man Interesting look at how one filmmaker praises the beauty of another man's amateur filming.
Last Days Van Sant's amazing character study where most of the greatness is subtle rather than explained.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 08:54 AM

Quote:
The first part I was more agreeing with Lavinia
thanks Plaw. This means a lot to me.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 08:59 AM

Quote:
So are you saying that audiences are somehow more comfortable with the eccentric, more flamboyant type of homosexual as Capote was (or the comical one played by Nathan Lane in 'Birdcage)...rather than the fictional cowboys in love depicted in Brokeback Mtn?
correct

Quote:
But aside from that, do you truly feel that the cowboys in love theme is the reason for it not winning Best Picture over Crash?
I think it can be a major reason.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 09:17 AM

Quote:
For anyone who cares, we have our own voting at the Film board.
Did you see the thread I posted about a week ago? I did something similar.

Winners in bold.

Best Picture
- "Brokeback Mountain"
- "Layer Cake"
- "The Weatherman"
- "Capote"
- "Broken Flowers"

Best Actor
- Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Mountain"
- Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain"
- Nicolas Cage in "The Weatherman"
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote"
- Bill Murray in "Broken Flowers"

Best Actress
?

Best Supporting Actor
- Colm Meaney in "Layer Cake"
- Michael Caine in "The Weatherman"
- Clifton Collins Jr. in "Capote"
- George Clooney in "Syriana"
- Benicio Del Toro in "Sin City"

Best Supporting Actress
- Michelle Williams in "Brokeback Mountain"
- Hope Davis in "The Weatherman"
- Sharon Stone in "Broken Flowers"
- Catherine Keener in "The 40 Year Old Virgin"
- Anne Hathaway in "Brokeback Mountain"

Best Director
- Ang Lee for "Brokeback Mountain"
- Matthew Vaughn for "Layer Cake"
- Gore Verbinski for "The Weatherman"
- Bennet Miller for "Capote"
- Jim Jaramusch for "Broken Flowers"

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 10:18 AM

Layer Cake was first released in 2004.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 12:06 PM

Lav, I'm going to watch BBM this weekend, don't know when I'll be able to see the Crash, but have you seen Crash by any chance?

I still think Academy really liked BBM with 8 nominations, giving nods to the movies most people haven't seen based on political/social motives. They are more than ready for these themes. If you look at the awards, you see that the screenplay for both movies won, one of them being original screen play, the other adapted from a book. However with a best director award against a best editing award, I really couldn't say which one would win the best picture. I guess the brevity won the reward. Or Maybe Academy gave the final nod to Crash only because of the present atmosphere in the US and the tensions in the past years.

I'm not sure what this movie is about, but I've to tell you, it is not a good feeling being a Middle-Eastern/Arab right now in the US. Living in the South for a while, I've seen the discrimination against African American is also well and alive. Some people literally move out of a neighborhood because some African Americans have just moved in. Even African Americans try to stick together, like in the Church, they try to sit in a few rows up in the balcony or in the back and most of them don't feel like mixing in the crowd, doing discrimination against themselves or others(?).

This might be the problem only in an almost small town like Birmingham AL., but it is far from being a solved issue everywhere. I think, they felt that this would give this movie a chance to be seen by more people, while BBM is already a controversial movie and will be seen by many people with 8 nominations and three wins.

Just my two baseless cents.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 12:33 PM

Quote:
Lav, I'm going to watch BBM this weekend,
good, I'm looking forward to your comments! Even if I think you'll find it...how could I say? too romantic....well, sort of... Just assuming, uh?

Quote:
don't know when I'll be able to see the Crash, but have you seen Crash by any chance?
not seen it yet. But sure I'll do it ASAP. I'm anxious to see the film which snatched BBM best picture oscar! :p
Now, seriously. I see where you come from, Afi. I'm glad if this movie -- Crash -- is going to be watched by a larger audience after getting a BP oscar. Racism all of sort is far from being won, and definitely not only in USA, so any occasion to meditate about it, is to be entirely welcomed, really. But I don't like these considerations -- right and noble as they are -- might have been more important than merely evaluating the quality, the beauty and the greatness of a movie. After all, it is cinema we are talking about.

Today I'm a little more relaxed on the whole story. I know BBM is a splendid piece of cinema. It deeply touched my heart and I'm grateful. I've been moved. Thousands people have been moved all around the world and more and more thousands will be moved in the future. After all, this is the best achievement a movie can get.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 01:35 PM

I don't review many movies that I watch, but I'll make sure to let you know what I thought of it.

Of course, I only guessed about those considerations. I can't say for sure until I watch them both.

I remember I wasn't pleased with Million Dollar Baby winning last year, but after watching all the nominated movies, I think Academy simply chose the best picture without any considerations, if you know what I mean.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 02:08 PM

Quote:
I remember I wasn't pleased with Million Dollar Baby winning last year, but after watching all the nominated movies, I think Academy simply chose the best picture without any considerations, if you know what I mean.
I don't remember which were the other nominees last year. Oh, wait, maybe The Aviator. Which was a bit of a disappointement for me. And I'm gonna watch Sideways soon so I don't know. Sure Million dollar baby was good, very good. Not a milestone in movie history though.
Ok, oh and as for BBM I don't need a formal review, Afi. Just your thoughts. Your usual brilliant insightful thoughts.

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 02:12 PM

Yeah, about considerations, I meant for the director of the Aviator.

Quote:
...as for BBM I don't need a formal review, Afi. Just your thoughts. Your usual brilliant insightful thoughts.
I have a feeling you are bribing me with this compliment so that I give it a good review...

Re: Oscars Night - 03/08/06 02:22 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling you are bribing me with this compliment so that I give it a good review...
You think I'm smarter than I actually am, but....ok, if it's going to work.....(I doubt it is)
Posted By: Meggie

Re: Oscars Night - 03/09/06 12:31 AM

I know I am a bit late on this post but I was very happy that Crash won. I can't believe it, and I was in shock myslef, but it really was a very deep and compelling movie.
'I have a huge crush on Clooney and am very happy for him as well.
I still don't get it about Best Song...how could that happen?

Re: Oscars Night - 03/09/06 10:55 AM

I couldn't refrain from linking everybody to this.

A post Oscar tribute to BBM
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET