Home

Richard Bright deceased

Posted By: Anthony Spilotro

Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 05:43 AM

Although I am unable to officially confirm, it would appear from word of mouth that Richard Bright, who played Al Neri in the Godfather movies, died yesterday (the 18th) after being hit by a bus in New York City. I really hope this is not true because he was my favourite character in the trilogy.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 05:51 AM

Looks like it's true

Link
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 06:03 AM

Man you hope that these people would live on forever.(Brando) RIP AL Neri. May God comfort his family and friends.
Posted By: Don Mataya

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 06:08 AM

That's terrible. Getting struck by a bus and dying at 68. My prayers go out to his loved ones.
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 07:37 AM

This is very sad news. I always liked his acting in all The Godfathers and in his tv appearances. I don't know too much about his personal life but I'm sure he was a great man. I pray that he is in heaven and that after his family grieves and mourns that they can accept, move on, and gain strength from this horrible tragedy. Richard Bright gave tremendous performances in all The Godfathers but he was much more than just "Al Neri." He will be missed.

I'll see you when I get there man.
R.I.P.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 08:32 AM

What a tragedy, Neri's character is one of my favorites too
The actors playing Clemenza, Pentangeli, Neri, Vito... so many of them are dead.
Posted By: SC

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 11:12 AM

What a terrible way to go. Apparently he was hit by a tour bus and dragged to his death. The bus driver didn't know he had hit Bright until he returned the bus to the Port Authority about 20 minutes later. Bright had died about 15 minutes after getting run over.

Its the second story on the local tv news now (after the Phippines landslide disaster).

Bright had aged noticeably (and poorly) in recent years. I had last seen him on an episode of "The Sopranos" (Bright played one of the three brothers up in Rhode Island that were supposed to have been hitmen - he was the one wearing an oxygen mask). He didn't look well at all.

Back around 1980 my best friend was dating Bright's daughter, Diane. Father and daughter were not particularly close but Diane spoke of her dad with real affection.

R.I.P., Richard.
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 11:25 AM

Where is this info available?
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 12:18 PM

Here's an article from this morning's New York Post:

February 19, 2006 -- A debonair 68-year-old actor — whose half-century career included a memorable role in all three "Godfather" movies — was last night dragged to his death in a horrific tour-bus accident on the Upper West Side, police sources said.

Richard Bright, whose piercing blue eyes and dark hair saw him often cast as a cop or criminal, crumpled to the ground as he was hit by the rear wheel of an Academy bus at about 6:30 p.m. as it turned left on Columbus Avenue at 86th Street, according to witnesses.

The driver was unaware of the accident until he reached the Port Authority terminal and was questioned by police. There was no indication of a crime and no charges were filed, police sources said.

Bright, whose winter coat and dentures were left behind on the street, was pronounced dead at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital.

"His face was beat up. His leg was mangled," said Teri Robinson, 47, who saw the accident from the back of a taxi. "It was very startling."

Movie fans would best know Bright from his performance as Al Neri, the bodyguard to Al Pacino's Michael Corleone character in "The Godfather" trilogy.

He played a key part in one of the most haunting scenes in "The Godfather II," when he shot Corleone's older brother Fredo (John Cazale) during a fishing trip.

The veteran actor also had guest roles in cop shows, such as "Law & Order," "Third Watch" and "The Sopranos."

"He had beautiful blue eyes and a beautiful smile," said neighbor Graham Gilbert.

Gilbert and other shocked residents of Bright's brownstone on 85th Street called the veteran actor was a kind man, who would help with the upkeep of the building.

"He was always looking out for the neighbors," Gilbert said.

Garrett Ewald, who learned of the accident as he was sitting down to watch Bright's 1976 movie, "Marathon Man," said the elderly actor often used a cane to walk.

He said Bright, in recent years, had found he had a lot of time on his hands after his wife and teenage son moved to California, allowing him to help young actors with coaching.

"You would see him on the stoop talking to [a young actor], coaching him on how to handle an audition," Ewald said.

A manager at the 3 Star Coffee Shop, near the site of the fatal accident, said Bright ate at the diner every night, and was probably on his way to the eatery when he was struck.

deligiannakis@nypost.com
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 12:52 PM

WOW! What a horrible way to die. What a shame.

As SC said he appeared in several TV and Cable shows including the Sopranos. He also was in "Once Upon A Time In America," and was in Al Pacino's first movie, playing a crook in "Panic In Needle Park."

Don Cardi
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 01:08 PM

I just a minute ago heard about this on the radio.

Believe it or not (and shame on me), I did not at first recognize the name of Richard Bright...then the newscaster mentioned his most 'recognizable role' as Al Pacino's 'bodyguard' in The Godfather.

Too bad...and you're right, SC. Aweful way to go.

Apple
Posted By: exgigirl

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 02:16 PM

I am truly saddened to read this news, haven't heard anything yet on the tube. Richard Bright was one of my favorite supporting actors and really did an outstanding job in the GF movies. I was always sorry they didn't expand his part more in the movies. He often appeared in Law and Order episodes. But the last time he was on he had that oxygen tank with him. He'll always be Al Neri to me and no one could even play the part like he did. RIP, Al Neri.
Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 02:39 PM

Damn it!!! I cannot believe it! And yes, what a horrible way to die!

Does anybody know what his Godfather partners said about it?

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 03:04 PM

Unless any of them became friends with him...I'm not sure what Bright's GF 'co-stars' would have to say, other than it being sad news just like us.

After all, even GFIII was made 15+ years ago and as far as we know Bright continued as another 'working actor' once that was completed.

The more I think about this accident, the worse I feel. It would be a horrible way for ANYBODY to die, but you somehow feel extra bad hearing about it happen to either a child or an older person like Bright, who according to all accounts here was feeble and in bad health to begin with.

Apple
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 05:09 PM

I saw this on the news last night, but they weren't releasing his name until his family was notified. All they said was that he had been in The Godfather and Law and Order. Given his age, and the fact that they didn't mention that he was in the other GF films, I thought it might be Carlo.

It was very sad to see the news coverage, as they showed his shoe and coat lying in the street. They also had an interview with the woman who called 911 and wrote down the license plate of the bus. She was very shaken up, as one would well imagine.

Very, very sad.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 06:26 PM

This is truly sad. He also was in a small part in another Mob Epic, Once Upon A Time In America.
Posted By: Luciano Fanucci

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 06:38 PM

Damn bus driver!
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 09:08 PM

R.I.P.

it definatly is sad for the simple reason that he still had some years left in him.
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 09:49 PM

I remember I was so excited to see him in his cameo role in the Sopranos a while back. He really was a unique kind of presence on the screen, as evidenced by his menacing stares as Neri, and then it was interesting to see this same power implied in his character in the Sopranos, but he was really just this feeble old man.

This is really just such a shame.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 11:11 PM

I just watched him in the Soprano's this week. Sad news indeed.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/19/06 11:52 PM

That's horrible. What a terrible terrible way to go. For some reason I couldn't open the link. Since it was ruled an accident, I assume he stepped out in front of the bus???

I too have seen him in Law & Order, but he'll always be Al Neri to me. Sad news!

TIS

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/20/06 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
... I assume he stepped out in front of the bus??? ...
TIS...I'm not sure how, but he was hit by the rear of the bus, according to the detailed article posted above by plawrence. The driver had no idea what happened and apparently drove off...a witness took down the plate #.
It was ruled an accident.

We can all say 'damn driver'...but imagine how this poor guy must feel, having to now live with the knowledge that the vehicle he was driving killed anybody, let alone an elderly actor best known for a role in an American classic.

Apple
Posted By: Not while my mother is alive

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/20/06 03:29 AM

Being that he's my User Pic, I must comment and share my grief, hearing the news of Mr. Richard Bright. I pray for his soul, his family and friends. When it's time...it is time. He will be missed, he will always be remembered. I can't think why anyone wouldn't smile when they think of him or one of his roles.

RIP Richard Bright.

Sacramento, California
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/20/06 05:54 AM

I'm deeply saddened by this news. May God rest his soul, and may God be with his family and loved ones through this time of sorrow.

R.I.P. Richard Bright.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/20/06 06:08 AM

Damn! You beat me.
Posted By: Meggie

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/20/06 05:45 PM

This is the most horrible news. i know exactly where this is and ther are flowers and momentos out by the accident site. Its horrible. I had no idea..I am deeply saddened..
Posted By: Don Provalone

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/20/06 08:31 PM

This is sad news. Of course, all of us must depart from this life. However, the manner in which this happened is quite unfortunate.

May God bless his family and may we all be reflectively thankful for the joy we received from this man's craft!

Cherish today and make the most of it - you never know when you will have posted on this board for the last time ...
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/21/06 01:03 PM

RIP...
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Richard Bright deceased - 02/22/06 04:26 AM

What a way to go. RIP Richard
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET