Home

2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture

Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 09:36 AM

Vote for your pick of the nominees for Best Picture!
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 10:10 AM

I've not watched any of these movies yet. I might be able to watch Syriana before Oscars, but It will ruin this whole Oscar thing for me to watch it before even seeing these movies.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 12:25 PM

I've not watched any of these movies yet, but my pick is Brokeback Mountain (BTW, I read the novel over the weekend -- definitely not a masterpiece but a good one), if the Academy is ready to give an Oscar for best picture to a gay cowboys love story (which I doubt).
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 03:37 PM

Are you kidding? If the Academy's ready? This could very well be the big sweep. I think the gay aspect has done the film very well so far from what I've seen.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Are you kidding? If the Academy's ready? This could very well be the big sweep. I think the gay aspect has done the film very well so far from what I've seen.
ok, that's good news then!
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 03:50 PM

CRASH
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 07:44 PM

I haven't seen Capote or Good Night, and Good Luck but my vote would be for Brokeback Mountain
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 08:00 PM

I've seen three of five, so far, and all have been deeply underwhelming. Crash is the best.

I have high hopes for Clooney and his film, though I admire Philip Seymour Hoffman's acting, so Capote could be just as good (or bad).
Posted By: Omar Suarez

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 08:52 PM

The nominees in order from best to worst:
1. Capote
2. Munich
3. Crash
4. Good Night and Good Luck
5. Brokeback Mountain

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/06/06 09:10 PM

To hear that Capo picked CRASH over MUNICH is.....man, unbelievable.
Posted By: Don Zaluchi

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 01:35 AM

I'd really like Munich to win but I think Brokeback will get the award.

My order of the best movies in the "Best Picture" nominations:

1.Munich
2.Crash
3.Capote
4.Brokeback Mo
5.Good Night, and Good Luck.
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 01:44 AM

At this point, Crash is the best that I've seen; But I'm not voting until I see Brokeback Mountain, which I have high expectations for.
Posted By: svsg

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 07:11 AM

crash is totally an average movie, full of cliches, coincidences and sensationalism. My vote goes for brokeback, as I haven't watched the rest.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 07:24 AM

I don't vote here, bot having not seen any of the movies that got Oscar nomination, I hope Clooney sweeps all Oscars for his nominations. Go George!!
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 07:45 AM

I'm actually pretty surprised, that as of 14 votes cast, there apparently were 14 people who saw ALL of the films listed to be able to vote honestly!

Pathetically, though, I haven't seen any of those 5 yet...
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 07:40 PM

I actually happened to see all 5 this year, before the nominations came out or anything, saw them all in their theatrical runs, Crash seems like its been forever.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 07:59 PM

Which did you vote for, then, Mista?

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 08:04 PM

Brokeback, I really dont see why everyone has begun labeling it "overrated."

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
Brokeback, I really dont see why everyone has begun labeling it "overrated."
By everyone, I will assume you are refering to soccer-mom's, Catholic's, *some* right-winger's, and any other particular homophobic group.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 09:34 PM

No it actually seems to still be getting properly received outside of this board for the most part. I was talking about members of this board. There seems to be a fairly negative attitude towards it.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
There seems to be a fairly negative attitude towards it.
Exactly. I keep telling people to see it because it is playing in Austin even though it's coming to DVD in 2 months (April 4th I believe). But all anyone every says is "I'm not gonna go see a gay cowboy movie." Grow the f*ck up people and try to be adults and/or mature about this. You're really missing out on a great movie just because it deals with 2 "gay cowboys" instead of 2 lesbians.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 10:16 PM

Hello!! I'm a Catholic soccer mom, and I have NO problem with the movie, but do have a problem being labeled homophobic!!

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
By everyone, I will assume you are refering to soccer-mom's, Catholic's, *some* right-winger's, and any other particular homophobic group.
Wow, ok. Just because I think the film is overrated, means I'm homophobic? I'm a right-winger?

I've always thought you were an interesting member on here, but that comment you made is utterly ridiculous. Just because someone doesn't see eye to eye with means they are flawed in some way? Do you not see the hypocrisy of that statement? And don't ride this off with, "Well, I put a in my post so don't get mad".

Please, there are plenty of good independent films that deal with homosexuality. Check out a little film from 2001 called "L.I.E.". But it seems to me that just because two big teen idols play gay lovers, that people are going crazy over the film. Sure it is well made, and yes, it has it's moments of greatness. But the best/thought provoking film of the year? Hardly.

But, since you still haven't seen the film to determine for yourself whether it's overrated or underrated, I look forward to your thoughts on it.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/07/06 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
[quote]Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
[b] Brokeback, I really dont see why everyone has begun labeling it "overrated."
By everyone, I will assume you are refering to soccer-mom's, Catholic's, *some* right-winger's, and any other particular homophobic group. [/b][/quote]:rolleyes: Yes, I am a big fat homophobe because I think the film looks like the same old overrated oscar bait crap.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
I think the film looks like the same old overrated oscar bait crap.
I'm just curious, but what exactly do you constitute as "oscar bait?"

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Andrew:
[b] I think the film looks like the same old overrated oscar bait crap.
I'm just curious, but what exactly do you constitute as "oscar bait?" [/b][/quote]Just something so ridiculously aimed at baiting an Oscar nom. North Country, Proof some examples of this year's Oscar bait.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar Suarez:
[quote]Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
[b] By everyone, I will assume you are refering to soccer-mom's, Catholic's, *some* right-winger's, and any other particular homophobic group.
Wow, ok. Just because I think the film is overrated, means I'm homophobic? I'm a right-winger?

I've always thought you were an interesting member on here, but that comment you made is utterly ridiculous. Just because someone doesn't see eye to eye with means they are flawed in some way? Do you not see the hypocrisy of that statement? And don't ride this off with, "Well, I put a in my post so don't get mad".

Please, there are plenty of good independent films that deal with homosexuality. Check out a little film from 2001 called "L.I.E.". But it seems to me that just because two big teen idols play gay lovers, that people are going crazy over the film. Sure it is well made, and yes, it has it's moments of greatness. But the best/thought provoking film of the year? Hardly.

But, since you still haven't seen the film to determine for yourself whether it's overrated or underrated, I look forward to your thoughts on it. [/b][/quote]Whoa, whoa, whoa... It's called humor. I'm just messing around. 99% of my comments on this board--and life--are completely non-serious. People tend to be taking me WAY too serious lately, and I fucking hate it.

Calm down. Breathe in. I am trying to make a joke, not offend anyone... Unless you listen to hip-hop and prefer McDonalds over Burger King. Then we have a problem, and virgin's will be sacrificed.

The same goes out to Andrew. I am just cracking a cheap thrill of a joke.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 01:28 AM

Humor? Fine.

But shouldn't you have suspected some sort of reaction like this with the comment that you made, no matter if you were joking or not?

I also hate it when people take me too seriously and get so angry over some small, innocent comment. But, when you openly accuse people, and they aren't in on the joke, you will turn heads.

Sorry if I overreacted. And let me apologize again, because I grew up on McDonalds, and never went to visit the King that much.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 01:29 AM

Quote:
The same goes out to Andrew. I am just cracking a cheap thrill of a joke.
Sorry I went a little Smitty on ya bro.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar Suarez:
And let me apologize again, because I grew up on McDonalds, and never went to visit the King that much.
I knew it. I hope you and your Happy Meal burn in Hell with the rest of the homophobes.

Andrew: Haha... Smitty. He's a silly-bitch. But, he's my bitch. *sheds a tear* Yeah, I can't say much else, he and I have some-what put aside our differences for the time being. Our differences, of course, being that he is a kooky Republican from Jersey, and I am big, black, and beautiful... (and, the irony in that, being, I am actually pale-white, a signifigant percentage underweight, and tend to over-pronounce things like the sad white boy I am).
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 01:40 AM

I love how films like Last Days and Broken Flowers are always given the shaft come Oscar time.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I love how films like Last Days and Broken Flowers are always given the shaft come Oscar time.
Yeah... I think those were my two favorite films of the year.
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 02:23 AM

I haven't seen, nor do I really have any desire to see Brokeback Mountain, and one of the main reasons for this is that the only thing I've heard about it is that it deals with gay cowboys.

What else is there to the movie; there must be something there to have been reviewed so highly, but all anyone is talking about is either how brave it is for portraying gay cowboys like it did, or how it's just trash exploiting the gay angle to get a bunch of artsy reviews and awards.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 03:46 AM

Originally posted by CancerKitty:

Quote:
"All anyone is talking about is ... how brave it is for portraying gay cowboys like it did,"
"Beautifully shot, tediously paced, it's worth consideration if only for Heath Ledger's devastating performance as a despairing man done in by time and circumstance."
-- Glenn Whipp, LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

"It is simply one of the greatest love stories in film history."
-- Joe Williams, ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

"Quiet mastery of 'the look that speaks volumes'"
-- S. James Wegg, JWR

"Brokeback Mountain, if you are willing to give it a chance, is an emotional, heartbreaking movie. "
-- Willie Waffle, WAFFLEMOVIES.COM

"Ang Lee takes his time developing the characters and situations, making the proceedings credible. And Rodrigo Prieto's photography captures the magnificent Wyoming settings by emphasizing natural beauty, as well as the feeling of remoteness and isolation."
-- Jeff Vice, DESERET NEWS, SALT LAKE CITY

"Ang Lee's best film to date; career best performances of Ledger and Gyllenhaal, amazing score and cinematography and a heartbreaking love story to boot. One word: Wow."
-- Boyd Van Hoeij, EUROPEANFILMS.NET

"A haunting and complex story that explores the strength and fragility of love, Ang Lee's visually magnificent film is as affecting as it is beautiful."
-- Urban Cinefile Critics, URBAN CINEFILE

"Ang Lee conveys maddening delirium rendered in the way one man’s eyes gaze at another’s, and then look away, and the looking-away amounts to the murder of two souls as surely as if they’d drawn guns and hit each other in the heart."
-- Ken Tucker, NEW YORK MAGAZINE

"Ang Lee's unmissable and unforgettable Brokeback Mountain hits you like a shot in the heart. It's a landmark film and a triumph for Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal."
-- Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE

My point being, this film has been praised for multiple aspects besides its risky subject matter. Saying this is the sole reason this film is recieving acclaim is fairly absurd and one-sided. I urge you to see it for yourself.
Posted By: Silvio

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 06:52 AM

I cant understand any real film fan not seeing such a highly praised film eventually. At least to see if it is overrated. Even if you dont necessarly agree with the what is going to be shown for 90 seconds.

Hell, I hate murderers far more then any homophobe hates gays, and Die Hard and Goodfellas and Godfather are among my favorite films :p

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 10:33 AM

The reason why I hesitate in seeing BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN isn't because of the subject material. I mean, Mingella's THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY was rather brilliant with Matt Damon being a repressed homosexual/manipulative bastard.

No, the reason is because I've never been impressed with Ang Lee. Some directors I just have trust that the end-product will be good, or at least worth my time. However, Lee has never to me met the praise and respect hes gotten from many for years. I felt CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, while a nice picture, isn't anything remarkable from the Chinese cinema, though its possible importance in being a huge hit in America/Europe is to not be ignored.

Meanwhile, nevermind that I admit that I had no time for his SENSE & SENSIBILITY, and THE HULK....well, I thought of that as a failure that where in some ways it tried to be bold and different, yet still failed to be anything unique. Some folks tell me that RIDE WITH THE DEVIL is good, but thats way back in my catalog of pictures to watch.

Though interestingly, people haven't written about this actually. If predictions go right, and Lee does win the Best Director Oscar....he'll be the first Asian to win it.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 04:22 PM

I gave my vote for Munich. For all it's imperfections, it still has been one of ht e most breathtaking film viewing experiances i've had in yers. It doesn't stand a chance at the Oscars though.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Some folks tell me that RIDE WITH THE DEVIL is good.
It isn't.

Re: 2005 Oscars #1 - Best Picture - 02/08/06 09:29 PM

Capo, ya I suspect that as much. Like I said, I'm not in a rush at all to see that or other Lee flicks I haven't already seen.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET