Home

What makes a film "great"?

Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

What makes a film "great"? - 10/17/05 09:44 PM

Beauty? The influence it has on society and film in general? The significance of its stories and the characters involved?

All of the above?

What, to you, makes a film "great"?
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/17/05 09:52 PM

There isn't a formula that one follow's that makes a film great.

Sometimes superb cinematography along with iconic direction, oh and a great soul-stunning score can make a masterpiece picture like Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

Or there is a great screenplay with a ballsy fresh experimentalist Actor/Filmmaker going all for broke like say Orson Welles' CITIZEN KANE.

Perhaps it is a great acting piece like ON THE WATERFRONT or THE GODFATHER or even GLENGARRY GLENN ROSS...

Maybe it is a stunning work of pure entertainment that truely becomes the bench-press mark of that sort of joy of the cinema, like maybe RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or Errol Flynn's ROBIN HOOD or of course STAR WARS.

Then again, I am not really sure.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/17/05 09:52 PM

The story, the characters (especially) and how the film is composed.

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/17/05 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
There isn't a formula that one follow's that makes a film great.

Sometimes superb cinematography along with iconic direction, oh and a great soul-stunning score can make a masterpiece picture like Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

Or there is a great screenplay with a ballsy fresh experimentalist Actor/Filmmaker going all for broke like say Orson Welles' CITIZEN KANE.

Perhaps it is a great acting piece like ON THE WATERFRONT or THE GODFATHER or even GLENGARRY GLENN ROSS...

Maybe it is a stunning work of pure entertainment that truely becomes the bench-press mark of that sort of joy of the cinema, like maybe RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or Errol Flynn's ROBIN HOOD or of course STAR WARS.

Then again, I am not really sure.
Interesing perspective...thanks.
Posted By: Don Chater

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 12:19 AM

When I get that chill down my spine as I watch a touching, great scene.
Posted By: The Dr. who fixed Lucy

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 12:23 AM

Ashton Kutcher! That's why Dude Where's My Car is the only film that's better than any of the GF saga.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
Ashton Kutcher! That's why Dude Where's My Car is the only film that's better than any of the GF saga.
Absolutley agree.

Let's not forget Ryan Reynolds, the greatest actor ever! Van Wilder is a masterpiece of cinema!

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 12:46 AM

Glad you're a fan of The Kutcher too DA, his acting talents are often not appreciated.

If that cow Demi Moore hadn't got her talons into him, he and I would be happily married
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 01:07 AM

Such a waste... :p

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 01:12 AM

No kidding. Ashton is my only weakness.

Ah well, back to reality.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 01:48 AM

I supose what makes a great film is it's resonance, the ideas it tries to give us, the charecters and the stories it creates.

That's really the only way i can describe it.
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 02:00 AM

A great film, to me, does an amazing job of not only conveying a message and inciting feelings within the viewer, but also is technically proficient. A certain attention to technical detail helps a film massively, but there's also gotta be some sort of driving creative force behind it.
Posted By: marlon

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 02:30 AM

Very simple. A great film is a film you like.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marlon:
Very simple. A great film is a film you like.
I like Eraser.. It's one of the worst of the 90's.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[quote]Originally posted by marlon:
[b] Very simple. A great film is a film you like.
I like Eraser.. It's one of the worst of the 90's. [/b][/quote]Correct. A film may be great for me. This doesn't make it a great film tout court. Otherwise, they would not keep on making a fool out of me just because I find "While you were sleeping" to be a great film!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 11:35 AM

I've entered this with a self-promise to keep things short and sweet.

When you watch a film for the tenth time and get as much out of it as the first time.

Or; a film which develops and evolves upon repeated viewings.

Mick
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
oh noooo!!! I want you to be long and sour, Mick!!!!
Posted By: JustMe

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 02:55 PM

Good acting (which is impossible without good directing)
and good literary work or drama it's based on.
Actually, truly great movie must have all details on the same level, when you see wrong historical costumes, or modern makeup on ancient Greeks, it will annoy you anyway.
In short, everyone, from hairdresser to scriptwriter must do their best work ever.

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

When you watch a film for the tenth time and get as much out of it as the first time.

Or; a film which develops and evolves upon repeated viewings.

Mick
Hmmmmmmm...Another very interesting perspective. Thanks Capo.
Posted By: svsg

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 03:32 PM

"Great Movie" is a relative term. So I would consider a movie great only if I like it. No matter how much others like it or how much money was spent or how good a particular aspect of film-making is, if I don't like it, I won't call it great. For example, I didn't like LOTR. Even if it has one of the best cinematography, special effects, fantasy whatever, I don't care. My list of great films will be those that influence me deeply or give me great pleasure on repeated viewings.
Posted By: Daigo Mick Friend

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 04:23 PM

Timing,

Is the film out at the right time,

and does it pass the test of time
Posted By: JustMe

Re: What makes a film "great"? - 10/18/05 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
I would consider a movie great only if [b]I like it. ...For example, I didn't like LOTR. [/b]
If you don't like a movie, there is a reason. If you'll analyse your impressions, you'll find it. And if there's a reason to dislike it, then maybe it's not so great? It may be a very good movie, but greatness oblige...
Personally, I agree with you absolutely - I'd never call LOTR a great movie.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET