Home

Any Given Sunday

Posted By: Tony Kyprianou

Any Given Sunday - 07/16/05 10:28 AM

I watched it for the first time yesterday after buying the DVD it was the only remaining Pacino DVD missing from my collection but I have to say I give it about a 4/10 not just because it was about American 'football' either, what do you guys' think of it?

TK
Posted By: scarfacelondon

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/16/05 11:06 AM

It's not an excellent movie but some scenes are good. especially the ending, how he took Willie with him to his own club. I advice you to see it again.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/16/05 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scarfacelondon:
It's not an excellent movie but some scenes are good. especially the ending, how he took Willie with him to his own club. I advice you to see it again.
Maybe you are right I just did not like it at all when i watched it yesterday, Cameron Diaz's character was annoying, Oliver Stone commentator cameo, was shameful, but Al was great as usual so maybe I will watch it again.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/17/05 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Kyprianou:
...a 4/10 not just because it was about American 'football' either
Why does it having to do "American" Football make it bad?

Otherwise, Any Given Sunday is pretty bad. Pacino was good, but otherwise this film film was a 4/10, or **.

The ONLY movie I've ever walked out on.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/17/05 04:56 AM

I don't understand why everyone hates this film so much. I haven't seen it in some time but I remember liking it a lot. From my memory it was a great depiction of the MTV-worship of athletes, and didn't just focus on the athletes. The "Inches" monologue was probably the best moment.

Quote:
4/10 not just because it was about American 'football' either, what do you guys' think of it?
I echo, what's wrong with American football?

Quote:
Oliver Stone commentator cameo, was shameful,
As shameful as being one of the men the suicide bomber killed in his Platoon cameo?
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/17/05 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[quote]4/10 not just because it was about American 'football' either, what do you guys' think of it?
I echo, what's wrong with American football?
[/quote]You've got to understand that American Football is not very popular outside of the US. I love American Football but it's a rarity for anyone in England to like it. So it's pretty normal for someone here to avoid or dislike films based on a sport they don't like especially one as complex as this. I wouldn't want to watch a similar film about baseball. The majority of the US would say the same about a football (soccer) film.

Any Given Sunday is a good film but nothing special. I didn't think too much of it when I first saw it but the repeat viewing was much better. I could easily watch it again.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 02:17 AM

Actually Turi, I know that I wouldn't dislike a soccer film becuase it's played predominantley in Latin America and Europe, and this is coming form a yank. We are taught in our schools how to play soI can guess many people wouund't be turned off because of it been foreign.

However, about "Any Goven Sunday"... It's certainly one of Olie Stone's best films. It's about excess, triumph, and many of the core things about humanity. It presents us great charecters, with amazing editing and wll-done direction and a good script. Three & a half stars.
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 04:40 AM

Any GIven Sunday is one of my personal favorites. It provides an extreme exageration inside the world of pro football, but at the same time, it is strikingly accurate. The film is choked with terrefic actors and amazing performances. To a certain point, this might be considered a cult film. It seems that only the truly hardcore football fans love it.

9/10

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
Any GIven Sunday is one of my personal favorites. It provides an extreme exageration inside the world of pro football, but at the same time, it is strikingly accurate. The film is choked with terrefic actors and amazing performances. To a certain point, this might be considered a cult film. It seems that only the truly hardcore football fans love it.

9/10
Its NOT a 'football' film!

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 03:59 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
[b] Any GIven Sunday is one of my personal favorites. It provides an extreme exageration inside the world of pro football, but at the same time, it is strikingly accurate. The film is choked with terrefic actors and amazing performances. To a certain point, this might be considered a cult film. It seems that only the truly hardcore football fans love it.

9/10
Its NOT a 'football' film! [/b][/quote]Mind explaining?
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 04:37 PM

maybe he should have wrote "american football" :rolleyes:

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 04:41 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
[b] Any GIven Sunday is one of my personal favorites. It provides an extreme exageration inside the world of pro football, but at the same time, it is strikingly accurate. The film is choked with terrefic actors and amazing performances. To a certain point, this might be considered a cult film. It seems that only the truly hardcore football fans love it.

9/10
Its NOT a 'football' film! [/b][/quote]How in the hell is this not a football movie? Almost every little thing in it is football.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 04:55 PM

Don't worry Raging Bull. I can see the argument now: "You Americans think you dominate the world". I can see it amounting to this before the day is out.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
Don't worry Raging Bull. I can see the argument now: "You Americans think you dominate the world". I can see it amounting to this before the day is out.
exactly! If he wants to start an argument about "american" football vs "european" football then just don't respond to him.

It's a pointless argument to start and it's obviously where he is going with it.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 05:01 PM

What happened to this?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 05:02 PM

Quote:
What happened to this?
hasn't everyone said that lol

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:13 PM

Quote:
What happened to this?
Show me and this topic some respect Vercetti, stop being so sensitive, the only place that this film is considered a football film is america.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:17 PM

Quote:
...the only place that this film is considered a football film is america.
Why do you say that? The sport they are playing is Football, Al Pacino plays a Football coach, Virtually everything in this film has to do with Football, so why isn't it considered a Football film?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:19 PM

Because the rest of the world calls what you call 'soccer' football, And the sport depicted in the film is only referred to as football by yourselves.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:29 PM

Quote:
Because the rest of the world calls what you call 'soccer' football, And the sport depicted in the film is only referred to as football by yourselves.
Didn't you see that Gatorade commercial, "Football is Football, even if it's Football."

You hate a film and a sport, because of one word. :rolleyes:

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:31 PM

If you had been smart enough to refer to my first post, I said I did not just hate the film purely on that basis.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:32 PM

It was certainley one reason why.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
It was certainley one reason why.
But you just said I hate a film because of one word. When clearly I do not. I love America/Americans but you are being way too sensitive over this.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:52 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] What happened to this?
Show me and this topic some respect [/b][/quote]I'm not disrespecting this topic, but if you think I'm gonna show you respect you're in for a rude awakening. The film is a football movie, just as an English Rugby movie would be a Rugby movie. You're the one who is too sensitive with you're classification of what is football.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:55 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Tony Kyprianou:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] What happened to this?
Show me and this topic some respect [/b][/quote]I'm not disrespecting this topic, but if you think I'm gonna show you respect you're in for a rude awakening. The film is a football movie, just as an English Rugby movie would be a Rugby movie. You're the one who is too sensitive with you're classification of what is football. [/b][/quote]Its not a football film, end of story, real football is not played with helmets and crotch guards. Now show me some loyalty and I will give you a pass.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:58 PM

Then what the hell do you call the sport that is played with Helmets and Crotch Guards? Sir Sportsman, almighty?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
Then what the hell do you call the sport that is played with Helmets and Crotch Guards? Sir Sportsman, almighty?
I call it a pile of sh*t, Don Andrew almighty.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:01 PM

Kid, you're not a wiseguy, no one owes you "loyalty." And yes, this is a football film. For your terminology I guess it would be "American Football."

Look above where you replied to Ragingbull for considering it "football." He is an American, what do you want him to call it? "Uh, it's a great Run-as-many-yards-to-get-closer-to-a-touchdown movie"?

I say it's a football movie, which it is here. The fact that soccer is known as football outside the country means nothing.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:03 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
[b] Then what the hell do you call the sport that is played with Helmets and Crotch Guards? Sir Sportsman, almighty?
I call it a pile of sh*t, Don Andrew almighty. [/b][/quote]You're just being a Jackass now. Now why is it a pile of shit?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:04 PM

Im no Kid Vercetti, I respect the fact that to you guys this is a football film, but to me its just is not.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:04 PM

Quote:
Im no Kid Vercetti, I respect the fact that to you guys this is afootball film, but to me it hust is not.
Do you still have to remind us every time we call it one?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:07 PM

Ok lets just respect each others view's then shall we?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:35 PM

how many times are you going to keep doing the same thing over and over again Greek Sicilian or whatever your name of the day is..... :rolleyes:

You bring it all on yourself, then you curse (apparently that makes you mean or intelligent or something :rolleyes: ) then 3 days later we'll have the "no one likes me thread" then we'll start up again next month. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:37 PM

Dont insult me

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:39 PM

Quote:
Dont insult me
:rolleyes:

Truth hurts?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:42 PM

No your just trying to bait me and get me banned.

Aint gonna happen son. :rolleyes:

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:49 PM

Quote:
No your just trying to bait me and get me banned.

Aint gonna happen son. :rolleyes:
yeah don't call me son.

2nd, I didn't bait you at all. You did a fine job of acting like an idiot without anyone's help. "Respect me, show me loyalty" :rolleyes:

I didn't type anything that was not true, I simply told you the truth, if you take that as bait then you need to look at the way you act

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:51 PM

Lets just end this now.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:53 PM

Quote:
Lets just end this now.
I simply pointed out what you do time after time, I don't know what "this" is that we are ending but you should learn from your mistakes, not repeat them.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/18/05 10:54 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that Double J hasn't come by yet, posting his usual laundry list of reasons why he hates Stone with a passion.

Anyway, the "American Football" flick ANY GIVEN SUNDAY by Oliver Stone is probably Stone's most mainstream movie as a director. Its pretty decent but nothing worth sacking a quarterback over. Still, this movie did prove to many, like me, that Jamie Foxx wasn't simply just some comic making movies like BOOTY CALL or whatever the hell, but he CAN act worth a damn. One wonders though what if Chris Tucker or "Puff Daddy"(or "P. Diddy" or whatever hes called now), the original people offered the "Willie Beaman" part would have done as well. Still, Foxx had to start serious somewhere, and he does good.

My only problem with Stone the director is how Stone's rapid-cut-editing(since he started it when he made JFK) just gets to a point to where you really get sick of it.

Oddly, Stone did this movie I believe only when his and Al Pacino's project AMERICAN CAESAR(a modern Imperialistic American retelling of Shakespeare's JULIUS CAESAR) fell apart. Enjoyed the supporting cast besides Pacino and Foxx from Pro Football legend Lawrence Taylor playing a character that really echos the man's infamous off-field/locker room problems, to Dennis Quaid playing the Dan Marino/Joe Montana-esque tired star Quarterback, to even LL Cool J of all people playing an egotistical under-performing Running Back.

In fact, I'll support Cameron Diaz. Sure I've never cared for her, but for some reason she was great for the part of the franchise's owner. Fact is, she embodies the new generation of NFL Owners that think they understand how it all works, but really are clueless in the likes especially of Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys and Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins. Fact is, she is supposed to be vile and unlikeable. Sure a better actress would have made it better, but Diaz was fine.

Still, the movie somewhat suffers from a non-consequential happy ending of sorts but its still a pretty decent movie in Stone's movie career.

Final Film Rating - *** out of 5

P.S. - Of course, it would help if you dig American Football and the culture itself to further "get" the movie I guess. Then again, I quite enjoyed VICTORY and SHAOLIN SOCCER, yet I've got no clue as to how "Football" works.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/19/05 01:35 AM

Seriousely TK, you need to just shut the hell up sometimes.

I believe you hate the movie and thats your opinion. I believe you hate American football and thats your opinion too. But I also believe that you wanted this argument to get out of hand. You crave the attention, even if its negative. Thats why you made your farewell thread a while back. I think its time you grew up. Dont post here if your gonna be an asshole.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/19/05 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
Seriousely TK, you need to just shut the hell up sometimes.

I believe you hate the movie and thats your opinion. I believe you hate American football and thats your opinion too. But I also believe that you wanted this argument to get out of hand. You crave the attention, even if its negative. Thats why you made your farewell thread a while back. I think its time you grew up. Dont post here if your gonna be an asshole.
Jou callin me an asshole mang? I think your an asshole I started a perfectly sensible thread and you lot go and bastardize it with your sensitivity
Posted By: don vencent

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/19/05 02:22 PM

you did say you were not comeing back keep your word next

time.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/19/05 03:04 PM

This one was my favorite!

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
For the record: I don't hate you, I loath you. Don't return this time. Though you seemed to be ok this time around, Greek Sicilian Mafia Don will never leave my mind. Please stick to your word here and never return. This should be the first time you leave willingly and not by being banned.

Take care and find a new board to destroy.

The Doc

(I don't know why I took you so seriously, but I did. A rare thing for me. Bye.)
BTW, Tony has been banned.

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/19/05 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
This one was my favorite!

[quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b] For the record: I don't hate you, I loath you. Don't return this time. Though you seemed to be ok this time around, Greek Sicilian Mafia Don will never leave my mind. Please stick to your word here and never return. This should be the first time you leave willingly and not by being banned.

Take care and find a new board to destroy.

The Doc

(I don't know why I took you so seriously, but I did. A rare thing for me. Bye.)
BTW, Tony has been banned. [/b][/quote]What is that, the 16th time or something?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/20/05 12:57 AM

Don Ferro was banned?

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/20/05 01:03 AM

The Greek Sicilian wannabe was.
Posted By: Silvio

Re: Any Given Sunday - 07/20/05 04:59 AM

I really like this movie, although I didnt much the first time I watched it.
The FOOTBALL scenes can be a bit over the top throughout, and LL Cool J stopped being entertaining in anything in 1993, but besides that, its great. Pacino is excellent. Diaz plays a role better then her usual one, and plays it well. James Woods is in it so thats cool. Dennis Quaid and Lauren Holly give an amazing scene too when discussing retirement.

7.5/10

If a movie was made in a different country about the sport that us in the USA call soccer, and the word "football" was used we wouldnt give a shit. People here call it football, get used to it.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET