Home

Sin City

Posted By: Irishman12

Sin City - 04/02/05 04:24 AM

Did anyone else see it? I had the time of my life seeing it. My 2 friends and I were supposed to see it at 3:40 but due to a delay we saw it at 7:00 pm. We ordered our tickets online, left my friend's house about 6:15 or so and got there at least 30 minutes before it started and we were already in the front row. My ticket only cost $6 (student discount) and we were at the AlamoDraft House in Cedar Park/Austin, TX! When we get there we take our seat and to our surprise they have a stage set up and there's a hot chick in black leather pole dancing. We order our drinks (I got a bucket of beer of Miller Light which consists of 5 beers for $12). Watched the movie and took about 4-5 piss breaks during it but this was the most fun I've EVER had at the Draft House. In part for the pole dancer (hey, it was a nice surprised) but the movie was EXCELLENT! I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in the theater since probably Kill Bill Vol. 2 last spring. I might go see it again tomorrow or Sunday. My favorite character in the movie was probably Elijah Wood. He was so P-I-M-P! Anyone else see it!?
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Sin City - 04/02/05 04:39 AM

I am going to be seeing it sunday with some friends. I have no doubt that this will be the first outstanding film of 2005.

And you know? This is the first time in a while I've actually been really excited to see a movie... I can't even remember the last movie I was this excited about. So fucking excited!
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Sin City - 04/02/05 04:47 AM

It looks too over the top to me, and the fact that it comes from the director of the Spy Kids movies and Once Upon a Time in Mexico I thought it wouldn't be much. With Omar's **** rating (first good thing I've heard on it) I might make an effort to see it in theaters but I doubt it.

It looks like a very different take on Film-Noir.
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Sin City - 04/02/05 06:44 AM

You beat me to it Irish . O well, no biggie...

In short, Sin City is the most kick ass, carnage filled movie I have ever wittnessed... Ever. It is like the writers were writing and all the while asking themselves, "What would every guy in America like to see right now?" And in every scene, it delivers. From Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis tearing ass, to half naked Rosario Dawson holding a smokin machine gun... This movie has it all.

Fans of Pulp Fiction will be instantly satisfied by the Vignette type, 3 seperate but intertwined stories one after the other style. The first of the three stories stars Mickey Rourke as a mamoth ex-con who is as brute as he is ugly. Rourke's character is out to revenge a dead hooker he loved who was killed by a sinister and deadly character played by Elija Wood. This story may be the most grousome of the three, and it is the perfect way to kick off the movie.

The second story stars Clive Owen, who plays a slick and equally deadly ladies man who finds himself wrapped in a sticky bind. Owen's nemesis in the movie is his girlfriends ex-boyfriend played by Benicio Del Torro. When a band of prostitutes led by Rosario Dawson come between the two, things start to go wrong, for there is more to Del Torro's character then meets the eye.

The third story stars Bruce Willis, who I am happy to say, returns to greatness in this movie. After risking everything by heroically saving a young girl from rape and murder, Willis ends up in prison. During this time, a bond grows between he and the girl he saved. He is released after 8 years in solitary confinement, and must save the girl (who is now played by Jessica Alba) from the very same peril once again. Nick Stahal masterfully plays the villain in this story, and impresses me for the first time in his career.

The way in which this movie was done, also made it great. It was mostly black and white, and it was heavilly narrated by the stars of the three stories. This and other unique characteristics are what make it one of the most original movies ever made. I cannot say enough about how much ass this movie truly kicked. The only complaint I have is that it had a tendency to be a little predictable. That aside, it was a cinematic masterpiece. I would recommend it to anybody.

10/10
Posted By: Blake

Re: Sin City - 04/02/05 07:31 PM

Saw it last night. Everything has lready been said by you guys so all I will say is that it was very very good. Elijah Wood is one scary mother ******.

Re: Sin City - 04/02/05 08:53 PM

I keep getting more and more excited about tommorrow. I'm already confident it'll live up, and even past it's hype.

By the way, Nice avatar Blake... Good to see more Fight Club fanatics around the site, for a change.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 04:21 PM

My favorite character in the movie was also Elijah Wood. What a great job he did too, and he didn't even have a speaking part! As for me, I couldn't get the guys who I saw it with on Friday to go again Saturday or yesterday, but I told them I plan I seeing it again this weekend if they're interested. I can't wait again!

For the fans who can't wait to pick this puppy up on DVd (much like myself), check out this story Sin City DVD

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 05:54 PM

I too plan to see this again sometime this weekend. But I think my favorite character might have been Dwight. He was one slick MoFo. Josh Hartnett's character was pretty bad ass too.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 06:57 PM

Yeah I can't wait to see it again too. But does anybody know the symbolism behind some of the use of colors? Such as the girls eyes being blue, the red car or shoes, etc?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:01 PM

I saw it this weekend - pretty cool! I loved the design of it -- it really gave a true comic-booky feel to it. And Jessica Alba...

As for the use of color, I asked my comicbook geek friend who I went with about that, and he said that's how the graphic novels look - so I don't think there's any symbolic meaning or anything...

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:07 PM

There might be some. I mean, I was thinking the color red with Clive Owen (his shoes, and the car he was driving) perhaps symbolized blood shed being with who his passenger was
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:09 PM

Well, you never know - they could've added that to the movie. It'll take me a couple more viewings to actually understand all that goes on...

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:12 PM

I read somewhere that there really isnt any deeper meaning behind the colors and other stuff as well.

But I got thinking the other day about the possiblities of a sequel. I have no idea how many comic books there are, so I dont know if it would even be possible, but I was thinking that they could have another movie with three stories like in the original. One could be the continuing saga of Dwight. The other could be an earlier story of Hartigan or Marv. And the third could be a new character, or maybe even Josh Hartnets character. But I would definetly want to see at least one sequel come out of this.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:14 PM

Did you see the link for the DVD that I put up! Sounds pretty sweet

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:15 PM

Director Robert Rodriguez has long been an innovator in the film industry.

This is news to me.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:33 PM

Can you guys tell me who the hell Josh Hartnett was and why was he in the movie?

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
I read somewhere that there really isnt any deeper meaning behind the colors and other stuff as well.

But I got thinking the other day about the possiblities of a sequel. I have no idea how many comic books there are, so I dont know if it would even be possible, but I was thinking that they could have another movie with three stories like in the original. One could be the continuing saga of Dwight. The other could be an earlier story of Hartigan or Marv. And the third could be a new character, or maybe even Josh Hartnets character. But I would definetly want to see at least one sequel come out of this.
I'd also love to see a sequel made of Sin City. I don't know if they'll do it, but they made some pretty decent cash this past weekend, despite being "another comic book movie." Hey, they've made worse sequels so I wouldn't be against the idea at all!

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake Peters:
Can you guys tell me who the hell Josh Hartnett was and why was he in the movie?
What I was told by a friend of mine, who keep in mind has NOT read the novels, was an assassign. Which makes sense SPOILER ALERT especially at the end in the elevator with that girl END OF SPOILER. I liked both Josh Hartnett & Elijah Wood in this!

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know if they'll do it, but they made some pretty decent cash this past weekend, despite being "another comic book movie."
That's pretty much why it's making money. Not that i'm judging it before seeing it but you make it sound like comic book movies odn't make money; that's pretty much why they're made. The sentence would work if it won an Oscar.
----
I'll might see this considering most of the films in theaters are shit like Beauty Shop. I doubt it will be superior to original film noirs though.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:43 PM

But according to you, the last good comic book movie you saw was Batman, Batman Returns. As you know I'm a huge comic book to movie fan and I'm really happy that the movies (such as the X-Men, Spider-Man franchises) are cashing in. So hopefully more people will appreciate them more instead of just passing them off as "garbage" or all CGI (which most of them are, but there is a story to the movies). Not that I'm implying that you refer to comic book movies as garbage, but others do. I'd also rather see all the comic book movies in the world instead of just remakes and endless sequels to movies that do not need sequels (Son of the Mask, Dumb & Dumberer). Need I go on?

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by Blake Peters:
[b] Can you guys tell me who the hell Josh Hartnett was and why was he in the movie?
What I was told by a friend of mine, who keep in mind has NOT read the novels, was an assassign. Which makes sense SPOILER ALERT especially at the end in the elevator with that girl END OF SPOILER. I liked both Josh Hartnett & Elijah Wood in this! [/b][/quote]I thought it was obvious that Hartnett was an assasin. From the very begginning, half way through his scene, thats when I figured him to be that. I just wish his character was in the film more. I would be interested to know if he was an original character from Miller's books, or if was he added in.

Vercetti- This is not just another comic book movie. In fact, It is almost good that your skeptical. When you see it, I am pretty confident that you will love it.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 07:58 PM

Quote:
But according to you, the last good comic book movie you saw was Batman, Batman Returns. As you know I'm a huge comic book to movie fan and I'm really happy that the movies (such as the X-Men, Spider-Man franchises) are cashing in. So hopefully more people will appreciate them more instead of just passing them off as "garbage" or all CGI (which most of them are, but there is a story to the movies). Not that I'm implying that you refer to comic book movies as garbage, but others do. I'd also rather see all the comic book movies in the world instead of just remakes and endless sequels to movies that do not need sequels (Son of the Mask, Dumb & Dumberer). Need I go on?
Quote:
But according to you, the last good comic book movie you saw was Batman, Batman Returns.
What do you mean? It's pointless seeing it?
--
I rate most of these comic book movies in that class. IMO Spider Man had no plot other then a guy who will save New York from the villain. Nothing about it was compelling and McGuire was horrible in his acting. That's just an example.

Bryan Singer is another director I lost interest in. I'd like to see him write an original thriller or even drama rather then do comic book movies. Although The Usual Suspects is overrated (still great) you can see he is able to write well. I think he's wasting his talent.

But of course I'm beating a dead horse here as I'm simply repeating myself. As for Hartnett and Wood, both are nothing special at all. Hartnett is horrible. Wood is mediocre and was one of the few things I didn't like about Eternal Sunshine For the Spotless Mind. I haven't seen Sin City yet but from what I've heard he does nothing but stand and make his presence known, no dialogue at all while wearing sunglasses. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but that doesn't sound like it would even need acting.

I'll see the film still, because upon closer looking it seems interesting, although a narration from more then one character is hardly innovative IMO. (not saying it has to be an innovative movie, but people have been saying that was original)

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 09:09 PM

I hope you do see it DV and you watch it with an open mind. Also, don't forget to let us all know what your thoughts/opinions were on it. I wonder if Capo, plaw or SC have seen it. I'm sure TIS hasn't
Posted By: Snake

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 09:45 PM

Jeez, I can't picture Elijah Wood scaring anything , except maybe a few fellow hobbits! You folks have whetted my appetite. Knowing the cheapskate I am, I'll wait for it to come to Blockbuster on DVD, but I'll defintely have to see it now. Thanks for the reviews!

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 09:57 PM

Quote:
I hope you do see it DV and you watch it with an open mind.
Jesus, and I thought I did that with all movies.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 10:31 PM

Well I was just making sure you weren't going to go in there with an opinion against it already. How do I know?
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Sin City - 04/04/05 10:49 PM

I saw this last night... MAN what a gory movie!! Kill Bill seems about as gory as Beauty and The Beast, in comparison. A lot of it was gory even if you couldn't see what was going on, just from what they were saying-- Like when Lucille was in the cell talking about her hand. But it was still good.

Elijah Wood scared the hell out of me. <---Words I never thought I or anyone else would ever utter.

The colors were amazing, but why was it that sometimes the blood was red, and sometimes it was white? It was a very cool effect when it was red, but the times when it was white, it looked like bird crap.

My favorite story in it was the Nancy and Hartigan part... It was sexy in a weird way, but then again, I've got a thing for older men. Maybe that's why I liked it.

Vercetti, I don't think it even compares to the original film noirs (I don't think anything does), but it's still good. As far as movies that have come out in the last 10 years, it's definitely up there. It was very creative, very outside-of-the-box.

Does anyone know what parts Tarantino directed? He was in the opening credits as a guest director. I'm guessing it was the parts with Devon Aoki... that seemed very much his "new" style. But if anyone actually knows, let me know. I'm curious.

*******Spoilers**********
I didn't get Josh Hartnett's character AT ALL. He's not hot, but he has a very sexy voice that makes him sound a lot older than he is-- but other than that, I'm lost.

I agree, he was an assassin. But that's like the basic, simple explanation. I think there had to be a lot more to it than that. Something he said at the beginning made me think that his victim was the one that was paying him. Am I way off?

But at the end, it didn't really seem like that, although the girl in the elevator seemed to know who he was. But, I'm pretty sure it was the hookers who ordered THAT hit.

Those of you who are seeing it again, please pay attention and tell me what you think. For some reason, this doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would have just a regular Average Joe assassin, that's part of the reason why I think there's gotta be more to his character.
******* End Spoilers ********
Posted By: Omar Suarez

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 02:09 AM

I saw this opening day, and here is my proview from the movie board:

Sin City
(2005/Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino)
[First Viewing]

Sin City is a place built on corruption. Three stories are told. One of an over the hill cop trying to rescue a kidnapped girl. One of a deformed man who wakes up to find himself framed for the muder of the hooker he slept with the night before. And one of a drifter who gets more than he bargained for when his latest fling has an abusive boyfriend.

As the reviews have stated, this is film-noir on steroids. It's nice to see the rebirth of genre, a film that has all the great qualities of those hard boiled detective yarns that Humphrey Bogart became the face to. Only it goes a step further. The sytle is dark and beautiful; black and white mixed with random bits of colors and haunting silhouettes and shadows.
I've never been one for comic book adaptations, but this works because it doesn't try to imitate the original, it becomes the original. So well done. The founders of film noir should be proud.

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Letizia B.:
My favorite story in it was the Nancy and Hartigan part... It was sexy in a weird way, but then again, I've got a thing for older men. Maybe that's why I liked it.
This was my favorite story too. I wasn't a huge Jessica Alba fan but she was very hot in the movie. I really liked Nick Stahl as the Yellow Bastard. As for what part Quentin directed, from what I believe I heard, I think it was this story (which could also be why I love it so much). I haven't been this excited about a movie in a long time and I can't wait to watch it again this weekend! BTW, Alexis Bledel was so cute as Becky also

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 02:24 AM

I had heard that Tarantino directed the scene between Clive Owen and Benecio Del Toro in the car.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 04:14 AM

SIN CITY ROCKS
I loved this movie, every minute of it was great. It's a big step up in comic book movies, I especially liked the narrating and the white comic-bookish blood. I hope theres going to be a sequel. The only thing I didnt like was the lack of mafia, it would have been awsome.

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 12:59 PM

I remember when I first saw the trailer for this and it said that the film had not been rated yet. I remember thinking, "Oh they must be back and forth between R and PG-13." Now I know that they were probably seriousely contemplating an NC-17 rating.

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 03:21 PM

I didn't really know the rating of it either when I saw it, but once I heard the F bomb dropped a lot at the beginning of the movie (followed by the quick nudity), I quickly realized it's rating.

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah I can't wait to see it again too. But does anybody know the symbolism behind some of the use of colors? Such as the girls eyes being blue, the red car or shoes, etc?
If you've ever read, or glanced through some of Frank Miller's art-work for the graphic novel, you'd see that that is just his style. Very simplistic, caricatures, with minimal color. Personally, I think it's quite cool.

But as fast as my knowledge goes, it has no major signifigance; it's just staying true to the feel of the comic.

And by god, this was spectacular! I'll be seeing this several times more, before the DVD release.

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 09:18 PM

No, I've never picked up his novels (but now I'd LOVE to read them). Can they make a sequel? I mean, didn't he only make 3 novels?

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 10:00 PM

I was reading through some of the information on that link you gave. Rodriguez said that he would do a movie on the other 3 novels if the first movie did well. I guess that means there is 6 books. And it certainly looks like Sin City is doing well in the box office, so I would bet on a sequel.

Re: Sin City - 04/05/05 10:56 PM

Quote:
I was reading through some of the information on that link you gave. Rodriguez said that he would do a movie on the other 3 novels if the first movie did well. I guess that means there is 6 books. And it certainly looks like Sin City is doing well in the box office, so I would bet on a sequel.
No I think what he said was that on the DVD, he's going to have the finished product on 1 disc, and then I think on another disc, he'll just combine all the scenes that deal with 1 of the 3 stories so you can see just 1 story as if you were to pick up the book and read it.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Sin City - 04/06/05 09:45 PM

Dear Robert Rodriguez,

You Son of a Bitch, you finally did it.

Since EL MARIACHI over a decade ago, your career consisted of watchable films, but not any that were what I would call "Good". I mean your movies consisted stuff like FROM DUSK TILL DAWN or DESPERADO and so on were not terrible, but its like a man having only one testicle: Something vital was missing that could have made them "great" like your hero, John Carpenter.

Now with SIN CITY, you finally made a worthy film to which your fans do have substantial evidence to proof of your potential great talent as a filmmaker. Now if you can keep Frank Miller as writer and story-board artist, your career would be in good hands.

Sincerely,

RONNIEROCKETAGO

P.S. - SIN CITY sequel?

Re: Sin City - 04/06/05 11:17 PM

Quote:
No, I've never picked up his novels (but now I'd LOVE to read them). Can they make a sequel? I mean, didn't he only make 3 novels?
I'm pretty sure they are making a second. It's already been discussed, but at this moment it has only been confirmed that it is under consideration.

I'm not sure how many comics there were... I was under the impression it was an on-going series, but then again I've only read two of them.

Re: Sin City - 04/06/05 11:36 PM

If there is a sequel, than that's the best news I've heard in a long time! Will it be a continuation of the current 3 stories from the first movie, or will they be a total new set of stories? Anybody know??

Re: Sin City - 04/07/05 03:03 AM

Quote:
If there is a sequel, than that's the best news I've heard in a long time! Will it be a continuation of the current 3 stories from the first movie, or will they be a total new set of stories? Anybody know??
I dont see how they continue the stories of Marv and Hartigan. Like I said before, I would like them to do a flashback story for either of these characters. I would love for them to continue Dwight's story and possibly delve a little deeper into Josh Hartnett's character.

Re: Sin City - 04/07/05 06:09 PM

I think its new stories, but containing some of the same characters and settings.

Anyway, for more on SIN CITY and the other non-filmed tales, check this out:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/comics101/109.html

For those that are too lazy to click on the link, here some possible tales that might be told in a SIN CITY sequel:

*A DAME TO KILL FOR - Which introduces Dwight, the protagonist of several SIN CITY stories to come, and details his lethal seduction by the gorgeous but calculating Ava, who manipulates Dwight into killing her rich husband, then shoots him in the face and leaves him for dead. Dwight recovers and plots his revenge thanks to the girls of Old Town, particularly his ex-girlfriend, the tough-as-nails Gail, and the whisper-quiet ninja Miho.

All this comes from the link, and I'm not sure if the film took elements from different tales and combined them, since I really only read THE HARD GOODBYE comic but the others I haven't had a chance to check out.

*FAMILY VALUES - Which brings back Dwight and Miho on the trail of revenge for one of their own, caught in the crossfire between rival mobs.

*TO HELL AND BACK - Where Wallace, an ex-soldier and aspiring artist, stumbles across a beautiful woman trying to kill herself, and is drawn into a deadly mystery when she disappears. The last(so-far) SIN CITY story conjured up by Frank Miller, it also featured one nutty drug-induced acid trip of the protagonist that involves Captain America, Dinosaurs, to Rambo.(check out the web page for the sampling of panels on this). Apparently, according to the Trivia page at IMDB.com, Johnny Depp was supposed to play the part of Wallace in the film version before the segment was scrapped before production due to time and narrative-reasons.

Interestingly, DiCaprio was originally supposed to play "The Yellow Bastard" instead of Nick Stahl. Of course, knowing how many of you hate DiCaprio with a passion, and with all the circumstances that occur with the character, the movie would have made more money probably.

Anyway, Michael Douglas, or Gordon Gecko himself, was originally going to play Senator Rourke. Would have been totally fun, but Powers Boothe is always a totally fun villain-character.
Posted By: don vencent

Re: Sin City - 04/07/05 08:03 PM

i'm going to see it today I hope I LIKE
IT

Re: Sin City - 04/07/05 09:10 PM

The 2 friends I saw it with last weekend, 1 of them bailed on me to see it again this weekend and I'm pretty sure the other 1 will too. Oh well, it doesn't matter if I see it alone or not. This movie is too great to pass up in the theaters!
Posted By: don vencent

Re: Sin City - 04/08/05 07:37 PM

wow This movie is good I love it
marvin is the s**t he's my fav
in the movie he was kicking much
ass over a ho no less
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: Sin City - 04/08/05 10:37 PM

I love this movie. I thought it was very good. A film that has influenced me to pursue a career in film industry.

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 04:04 AM

Thug just gave this film a half a star out of four at the Movie Board, which normally wouldn't effect my aim to see it since we disagree a lot, but one thing made me wonder about the film, aside already knowing that a killer is played by Elijah Wood of all people, I now know there's a "Nazi/Samurai/Prostitute" character in the film? O_O

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 07:51 AM

Alot of crazy people in this movie.

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 02:29 PM

It seems that way. I have mixed feelings about wanting to see this. Some things about it look interesting (the film-noir stance) and some things look stupid.

One thing that turns me off is Ragingbull's description, which sounds like the writers are mainstream assholes.

Quote:
It is like the writers were writing and all the while asking themselves, "What would every guy in America like to see right now?"

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I now know there's a "Nazi/Samurai/Prostitute" character in the film? O_O
She isnt a nazi I dont think
But after doing research on the movie since I made that review, I have realized that there really were no writers. This was all Frank Miller. This was his baby... Rodriguez just carried it for a little bit thats all. Dont be discouraged by that statement.
Posted By: thug

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 07:08 PM

Perhaps she's not directly associated with the Third Reich, but she does use metal swastikas as weapons.

Thug

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 09:15 PM

Okay, I take it that some of you kids didn't ever take a History class or whatever.

The Swastika for thousands of years was considered a sign of "good luck" by cultures around the world. Then the Nazis used it, and well, you get my story.

However, many cultures still use it, so Swastika-styled weaponry? I'm not surprised.

Of course, I once had this idea for a WARRIORS-esque gang movie where a Jewish ninja gang threw
"Star of David" Ninja Stars...

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 09:18 PM

Don Vercetti, you know me.....for once, I guarantee that you'll dig SIN CITY. Really, its pure pulp to the point of tales that is mostly violence, guns, breasts, sex, and total badass moments. However, that doesn't mean its shallow.

Really, go see it. Its always better to see a film like this on the big-screen instead of the compromised DVD......really, thats why I resent studios that are using theatrical releases as more of a "trailer" for the DVD.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 09:41 PM

I'm interested, as I always am when a movie gets as much buzz as this.

What's Tarantino's involvement in it? I keep hearing his name pop up everywhere...as always when he has a mere credit on the film; it's as if he did it all by himself, and overshadows the others...

...though he can overshadow Rodriguez all he wants, as far as I'm concerned. Tarantino will be remembered for years to come (unless he dies with only four films to his name), whereas Rodriguez' career is all over the place in search of an audience who likes him. His love for Carpenter says it all.

Mick

Re: Sin City - 04/09/05 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
I'm interested, as I always am when a movie gets as much buzz as this.

What's Tarantino's involvement in it? I keep hearing his name pop up everywhere...as always when he has a mere credit on the film; it's as if he did it all by himself, and overshadows the others...

...though he can overshadow Rodriguez all he wants, as far as I'm concerned. Tarantino will be remembered for years to come (unless he dies with only four films to his name), whereas Rodriguez' career is all over the place in search of an audience who likes him. His love for Carpenter says it all.

Mick
Rodriguez scored Kill Bill for a dollar, and Tarantino returned the favor by directing a scene of this film, if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: Sin City - 04/10/05 04:45 AM

yeah, you are right. Spoiler Warning

I heard Taratino directed the scene with Dwight and Benico Del Toro's character in the car after the fight in Old Town.

Re: Sin City - 04/10/05 08:24 PM

Ever since the Nazis used the swatstika as their flag, that is what the symbol has and will forever be associated with and you have to be naive to say that isn't so. The filmmakers were well aware of what it means to many people before they used it several times in the film. This film is morally irresonsible, but I wouldn't classify this as one of its big offenses. Of course, one could make the argument that films like Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and Kill Bill are, too, but I'd rank those as masterpieces, as the filmmakers in each case are actually competent, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
However, that doesn't mean its shallow.
That's simply not true. As Raggingbull said, "It is like the writers were writing and all the while asking themselves, "What would every guy in America like to see right now?" And in every scene, it delivers." Alas, we live in a country where male audiences want multiple castrations, multiple beheadings, and multiple scenes of torture. And bad jokes. Oh how terrible the unnecessary jokes were.

John Hartigan: I took away his weapons. Both of them.

Marv: I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad.

Dwight: She didn't cut his head off. She turned him into a Pez dispenser.

John Hartigan: When it comes to consoling 19-year-old girls, I'm about as useful as a palsy patient performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench.

...I think you get the point...

And the ending was an insult to the audience. I'm sure nobody took it as so, but it clearly was. Hartigan tried so hard to clear his name from molestation charges only to fall in love with the girl he was accused of molesting?

SPOILERS And then he commits suicide to save her? SPOILERS

There were two hours of complete immaturity followed by about 30 seconds of unconvincing drama and the film all of a sudden has depth? No. Soap opera is more convincing than this pretentious nonsense. I can't think of another film that was so self-congratulatory throughout, yet had absolutely nothing else to offer.

It could all be forgiven if it was entertaining but it simply was not; in fact this is one of the least entertaining films I've ever seen. Even the actors would agree; they are all so unbelievably horrible in this film that it is obvious that they had both a lack of direction and enthusiasm.

I did enjoy some of the post-production techniques, but the story constantly interrupted my enjoyment of them. If Rodriguez wanted to just expirement with them, he should have learned from Brakhage or Parajanov and made a film about that rather than about carnage.

I still do not understand how so many people I respect love this film (including Roger Ebert, Omar, and people I know in person, among others) which I absolutely despised.

Thug

Re: Sin City - 04/10/05 09:09 PM

Saw some clips from it last night. Looks like a video game.

Mick

Re: Sin City - 04/10/05 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thug:
I still do not understand how so many people I respect love this film (including Roger Ebert, Omar, and people I know in person, among others) which I absolutely despised.

Thug
Because we have an open mind. I know how much you hate Rodriguez, so I didn't expect you to like it. After watching "Out of the Past" last night, I was reminded how well this film captured the film noir feeling, though I liked "Out of the Past" more.

Re: Sin City - 04/10/05 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar Suarez:
Because we have an open mind. I know how much you hate Rodriguez, so I didn't expect you to like it.
What are you talking about? I regarded him as mediocre filmmaker before watching Sin City, but certainly not as bad as, say, Michael Bay, for example. Now, I do regard him as one of the worst in Hollywood.

And I don't have an open mind? Instead of providing me good reasons why this isn't a complete bomb, you insult me? I could argue that me not calling this film a masterpiece, and thus not riding the bandwagon, was open minded as I fairly judged it, gave it a rating it deserved, and back-up my opinion. I still haven't read a review to tell me why this is good other than "'insert adjective' homage to film noir" or "a technical achievement.

Thug

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 02:25 AM

Just say Sin City again in theaters and I enjoyed it more this time around than I did the first time around. I'm serious, I can't wait for this to come to DVD. Nor can I wait for the sequel to come out! I LOVE this movie!

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thug:
[quote]Originally posted by Omar Suarez:
[b] Because we have an open mind. I know how much you hate Rodriguez, so I didn't expect you to like it.
What are you talking about? I regarded him as mediocre filmmaker before watching Sin City, but certainly not as bad as, say, Michael Bay, for example. Now, I do regard him as one of the worst in Hollywood.

And I don't have an open mind? Instead of providing me good reasons why this isn't a complete bomb, you insult me? I could argue that me not calling this film a masterpiece, and thus not riding the bandwagon, was open minded as I fairly judged it, gave it a rating it deserved, and back-up my opinion. I still haven't read a review to tell me why this is good other than "'insert adjective' homage to film noir" or "a technical achievement.

Thug [/b][/quote]Yes, I was out of line to insult you.

But sometimes the way you present your opinion, it appears as if there is no other way of looking at it. You know?
It just seems sometimes that you try not to like certain things. People have difference of opinion. There is no need in trying to understand someone else's, but to perfect your own.
Sorry.

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lights:
yeah, you are right. Spoiler Warning

I heard Taratino directed the scene with Dwight and Benico Del Toro's character in the car after the fight in Old Town.
Really? I heard SPOILER that it was the opening scene with Michael Madsen and Bruce Willis story END SPOILER

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 02:48 AM

Quote:
Just say Sin City again in theaters and I enjoyed it more this time around than I did the first time around. I'm serious, I can't wait for this to come to DVD. Nor can I wait for the sequel to come out! I [b]LOVE this movie! [/b]
I saw it last night again, and while I still enjoyed it, it did lose some of its luster. The first time, I didnt realize how completely attrocious the acting was. But I dont think Thugs theory of lack of direction and lack of enthusiasm for the actors is right. I think this was done purposely as to better recreate the comic book feeling.

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 02:59 AM

Well I drank 5 beers during the movie with about 4-5 bathroom breaks so I was kinda out of it the first time around. But this to me is definitely 1 of the best comic book movies I've seen, and a lot of it is, as you said, the feel of the comic book on the big screen, particularily the use of color in certain situations and just the way its shot in other instances SPOILER like at the end when Bruce Willis kills himself, that shot was AWESOME! END OF SPOILER

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 04:25 AM

Here's what I found at IMDB about the "swastika" being thrown by Miho SPOILER
Q: Is that a swastika that Miho throws?
A: No, it is a shuriken (I think) Notice the points on the tips of it
Posted By: Moscarelli

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 05:54 PM

I just saw the movie last night and...WOW. That movie is f***ing awsome! I mean, I can't describe it...definately the most fun I've had in the movie theaters in a long time. All I can say is, there better be a sequel.

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 07:37 PM

Well put Moscarelli. As of now, I believe a sequel is being talked about

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 10:15 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] I now know there's a "Nazi/Samurai/Prostitute" character in the film? O_O
She isnt a nazi I dont think
But after doing research on the movie since I made that review, I have realized that there really were no writers. This was all Frank Miller. This was his baby... Rodriguez just carried it for a little bit thats all. Dont be discouraged by that statement. [/b][/quote]She is not a nazi... It is a common misconception. She is an oriental samurai, whom throws a throwing star-esqe weapons at victims, in the shape of some ancient oriental character... I forget the proper term for the symbol, but, it is basically a backwards swastika.

Skip ahead; it's the 1930s, and the Nazi's steal the symbol, flip it around, and use it as their own.

Anywho, Miho (The skanky ninja!), is far from a supremicist...

---

Oh, and for those asking about the comics, there are quite a few issues that will revolve around a single character and their story. However, many of the original issues are out of print. Luckily, you may purchase TPB's, which will put each book into one big book for a single story (So, opposed to buying all 9 books from the story, "The Yellow Bastard", you may purchase "The Yellow Bastard" TPB, which includes all 9 books puplished into one book, which will start with hartigan saving an 11 year old Nancy, and end with the very last scene of the film -- don't want to give any spoilers away.)

There are 7 TPB's in total, and they can all be purchased on amazon.com. The seven TPB's are as follows, in chronolgical order:

- The Hard Goodbye (Book 1 - Marv\'s Story)
- A Dame to Kill For (Book 2)
- The Big Fat Kill (Book 3 - Dwight\'s Story)
- That Yellow Bastard (Book 4 - Hartigan\'s Story)
- Family Values (Book 5)
- Booze, Broads, & Bullets (Book 6)
- Hell and Back (Book 7)

The Whole Series

Re: Sin City - 04/11/05 10:18 PM

I was just searching google for information on a sequel, and I came across something that seemed to amuse me...

Sin City action Figures! *Chuckles*

I don't believe I've even stepped foot in a toy store since I was maybe eight, but I just loved the movie so much -- I'll have to make an exception for these, before they're off the market.

Re: Sin City - 04/12/05 02:01 AM

Those figures look awesome! Are they out yet? I'd like to get the Kill Bill series as well but between the 2, that'd be about $160 (plus series 2 of Kill Bill comes out in August)

Re: Sin City - 04/12/05 02:04 AM

BTW, I like these 2 posters. Which one do you guys like better?

Poster 1

Poster 2

Re: Sin City - 04/13/05 06:57 PM

Apparently, Rodriguez and Miller confirmed that a sequel is going to happen. Hope that HELL & BACK(which was going to be part originally of the movie before being scrapped) with Johnny Depp works out well.

Re: Sin City - 04/13/05 08:00 PM

Where did you hear that from ronnie?

Re: Sin City - 04/13/05 08:10 PM

Quote:
Those figures look awesome! Are they out yet? I'd like to get the Kill Bill series as well but between the 2, that'd be about $160 (plus series 2 of Kill Bill comes out in August)
Series one is out, but series two is planned for August; you may pre-order what has been confirmed of series two so far off the link I posted. Although there are supposedly more than the four figures announced in series two. They've already announced a Kevin figure (my favorite villian of the film, with Yellow Bastard comming in a close second), and I'm hoping for a Dwight (my favorite protaganist of the film; he had the best story and sequence by far.)

Quote:
BTW, I like these 2 posters. Which one do you guys like better?

[b]Poster 2

[/b]
I like that one better. I find Jessica Alba extremely attractive.

Re: Sin City - 04/13/05 09:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irishman12:
BTW, I like these 2 posters. Which one do you guys like better? [QB]

That first one is extremely cool.

Re: Sin City - 04/13/05 10:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing myself Blake. That little Alexis girl is so cute. BTW, I'm digging the avatar!

Re: Sin City - 04/15/05 02:04 AM

How did this get all the way on the second page?! *Over-exagerates* :p

Anyways I really enjoyed this film, and I think we should keep this thread rolling...

Re: Sin City - 04/15/05 02:29 AM

I agree LLC. Anyone seen it yet who hasn't?

Re: Sin City - 04/15/05 07:47 AM

Funny enough, I heard the sequel was a "go" over on CNN. Either way, great news!

Re: Sin City - 04/16/05 03:47 AM

I'd like to see a continuation of Dwight's story... I remember there being another TPB in which he teamed up with Miho in...

Anyways, great news. I'm hoping they'll be able to make all 7 books into film... They've already done three, so who knows, maybe the sequel will be the next four, provided it's about 3 hours opposed to two. Or maybe two stories in this one, and a third film with two more stories...

Re: Sin City - 04/18/05 12:48 AM

Anyone hear when the sequel's supposed to come out? I would guess 2007 but that's just me

Re: Sin City - 04/27/05 11:22 PM

Just found some awesome news about Sin City 2 & 3! (I only thought they were making a 2nd one).

"Now for the news that I'm sure most people will agree is absolutely great. Robert Rodriguez will be shooting back to back sequels for SIN CITY 2 and 3 starting February of next year for a release presumably summer of 2007. I guess the studio big wigs were satisfied with the commercial and critical appeal of the uber-cool SIN CITY that they jumped on the shooting back to back sequels bandwagon"

Re: Sin City - 04/28/05 12:11 AM

Sweet...wait, this is Butt Sex Sweet!

Thanks for the heads up, Irishman!

How bout them Yankees indeed!

Anyway, SIN CITY has shot down, along with police coverup of the crime, about $68 million in the US(and before going out on tour in Europe and Asia), not including DVD and PPV sales. No wonder the sequels were greenlit!
Posted By: LUCABRAZI

Re: Sin City - 04/28/05 12:13 AM

i just bougt a bootleg copy off the streets and i gotta say it's awsome!! it's a copy of the screeners that rate the movie because time to time it will say for screening purpose only.. widescreen and only 5 bucks...gotta love thoese downtown L.A. streets..

Re: Sin City - 04/28/05 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Sweet...wait, this is Butt Sex Sweet!

Thanks for the heads up, Irishman!

Anyway, SIN CITY has shot down, along with police coverup of the crime, about $68 million in the US(and before going out on tour in Europe and Asia), not including DVD and PPV sales. No wonder the sequels were greenlit!
I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping it would have grosed $100 million domestic but yeah, with the DVD sales and international sales, it'll do good. Anyone ever read a Batman series a couple of years ago called The Long Halloween? I wish Robert Rodriguez would direct that series exactly the same way he did Sin City. That Long Halloween series is probably my favorite comic book series ever!

Re: Sin City - 05/14/05 06:02 AM

Here's a link to what the coverart will look like Sin City

Re: Sin City - 05/14/05 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LUCABRAZI:
i just bougt a bootleg copy off the streets and i gotta say it's awsome!! it's a copy of the screeners that rate the movie because time to time it will say for screening purpose only.. widescreen and only 5 bucks...gotta love thoese downtown L.A. streets..
I saw a bunch of bootleg copies a few weeks ago down in Manhattan, and almost bought one, half jokingly. Hell though, I figure those things are usually faulty peices of junk anyways.

Re: Sin City - 06/17/05 02:01 PM

Here's a link for the coverart of the Sin City DVD. It's pretty cool because there's 4 different slipcase covers DVD Times

Re: Sin City - 06/17/05 02:29 PM

I can't imagine how terrible the consumption of this film is when watching a bootleg copy on a small screen.

I doubt I'll be buying the DVD; it's definitely a film for the big screen and nothing but. Dazzling for the senses, but with as much interesting character arcs or riveting narrative depth as a midnight snack. It must be seen in a cinema.

Mick

Re: Sin City - 06/17/05 04:15 PM

Capo, I have to totally agree with you on this.

Too bad the future seems to dictate the move from theaters to DVD for newly-released films.
Posted By: zo

Re: Sin City - 06/17/05 04:24 PM

i actually 100% disagree with that...first of all...i have a bootleg copy and it is the best quality i have ever seen.. i dont think it was made with a camera....and second...this movie has many twists and "tie-ins"...you would have to see the movie 3 times...it took me like 3 times to see everything...plus its just a fun movie that could be watched again. altho...thats my opinion...we all know how we all differ round here! lol

Re: Sin City - 06/17/05 05:06 PM

The only complications I found in Sin City were keeping up with the rambling voice-over from Marv, which was (as in all of Miller's graphic novels--which is a more 'mature' term for COMIC BOOK) an obvious and derivative spin-off of Chandler.

The only character arcs in this film are from living to dead. The only narrative twists in this film are the ridiculous ones at which I laughed (because they were actually funny, and I think intentionally so): when Marv, for instance, lived through the first dosage of electricity in the chair.

"Is that the best you can do, punks?"

Mick

Re: Sin City - 08/01/05 04:17 PM

Brittany Murphy's back for Sin City 2

"Brittany Murphy tells OK! Magazine that she has signed to star in Sin City 2, which writers/directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are planning for a summer 2006 release.

"I'm absolutely thrilled. It's exciting to be a part of something so big and artistically groundbreaking", says Murphy, who played Shellie in the adaptation of Miller's series of graphic novels.

"I love the film and I'm ecstatic to be working with director Robert Rodriguez and the crew again," she adds."

Source: SuperHeroHype
Posted By: don capili

Re: Sin City - 08/21/05 07:06 AM

unfortuanely im late, and i didnt get to watch it until i bought the dvd a couple days ago. and today was like the fourth time seein git. its been one of the craziest movies ive ever seen! i cant stop watching it! it also makes me wanna explore into the whole film noir scene

Re: Sin City - 08/21/05 03:15 PM

I have watched this movie like 8 times since its come out onto DVD. I simply cant get enough of it.

Re: Sin City - 08/21/05 03:28 PM

Sin City - (Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller;2005;USA) - ***
Three stories taking place in the corrupt Basin City: Marv is an ugly man who turns to revenge after a beautiful prostitute is killed, and he's framed for the murder. Dwight teams up with the hookers of Old Town to get out of a tricky situation involving a dead cop. Hartigan gets out of jail after being framed for the molestation of an 11 year old girl, who is now 19, he finds that he must protect her yet again.
One thing about this, is that it is overrated grossly. I can't count how many people said this was a masterpiece. However this is a very good film that despite being over the top in many scenes, it works much of the time. The narration is great, and the cast is too overall aside Elijah Wood, Josh Hartnett, and Nick Stahl. Wood's character isn't as cool as he is a pathetic creep, which baffles me as to why people think the character is the cool one of the film. However the rest of the cast keeps the film up, along with the visuals. A big surprise to me, as I thought this would be a lump of shit altogether.

Re: Sin City - 10/17/05 09:31 PM

Some Sin City 2 storylines

Re: Sin City - 10/17/05 09:38 PM

You know what sucks? Apparently, because Rodriguez resigned from the DGA over the whole credit spat over SIN CITY, the film is disqualified from the Oscars.

Sucks really since the film would have had a good shot at getting nominations for Best Cinematography, Editing, Art Direction, Visual Effects, etc. Tsk Tsk Tsk...

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 12:40 AM

Sin City's cinematography doesn't compare to other films this year.

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 12:59 AM

Ah, good points DV...

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 03:30 AM

Hang on, Rodriguez did what to get them disqualified from the Oscars?
Posted By: Silvio

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 03:42 AM

Quote:
Some Sin City 2 storylines
Imdb says it will be based on the 2nd book, which revolves around Dwight and features Marv and the old town girls as his allies....all these actors are already signed i think. There isnt preexsisting material for any of the stuff that site mentions

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 03:52 AM

Right Frank Miller said he was going to write a new story for the movie and I believe the Nancy story will be it
Posted By: Silvio

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 03:56 AM

oh, I hope he makes a comic book for it too

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 06:36 AM

Yeah I think I heard he plans on releasing it before the movie

Re: Sin City - 10/18/05 07:32 PM

Irish, Rodriguez's SIN CITY may have been disqualified from the Oscars because he resigned from the DGA over wanting to share credits with Frank Miller.

Of course, one can argue that idea is nonsense since George Lucas quit the DGA over the opening credits for STAR WARS...and that movie did gangbuster business with the technical awards.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET