Home

LOTR Question?

Posted By: Irishman12

LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 02:01 AM

I have all 3 Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVD's. I'd like to watch all of the special features but I think I heard that each DVD has 12 hours (that's 36 f'n hours of just special features). Before I make that big of a time commitment, I was wondering if anyone had watched all of the special features on these DVD's? If so, are they any good? Are they worth watching?

Grazie,
The Irishman
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 02:05 AM

I watched them all on the FOTR, not yet on the other two, and I found them to be very interesting. There was a lot of information about the process of adapting the book to the script, tons of interviews and set stories from the actors (great stuff about an indian size double), and also lots of really good stuff on the costumes, weapons, armor, sets, and special effects. I would check them out, but probably not in only a couple of sittings, because you're going to get sick of it (which is why I've only seen the stuff on FOTR).
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 02:56 AM

I really enjoyed the feature on FOTR about Tolkien. I'm in a class right now at college called Tolkien and Myth. I love it and its all about his works and himself and how they relate to ancient myth. Tolkien is a God of knowledge. Watch the features on him, you wont be disappointed.

The Doc
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 03:22 AM

I watched them all. Some were better than others. I particularly enjoyed the ones about Tolkien and the story as a whole. If your up for it then go for it.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 06:42 AM

Okay, so, you bought the 3 extended versions: why?

If you're a fan of the series, why ask this question?

If you're NOT a fan of the series, then, why buy them? :p
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 11:26 AM

I've got a mate who's sat down, watched them and found the extras good and worthwhile. Mind you, he was armed with a few 40oz's, a big bag of skunk and microwavable cheeseburgers.

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/10/05 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
Okay, so, you bought the 3 extended versions: why?

If you're a fan of the series, why ask this question?

If you're NOT a fan of the series, then, why buy them? :p
I never bought 1! I asked for The Fellowship of the Ring from one of my friend's for my birthday last year, and The Two Towers from another friend for my birthday last year. And from the guy who bought me FOTR, I asked him to get me The Return of the King for Christmas this past year. So you see, I never paid for them! :p

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/15/05 05:29 AM

So are all the special features cool, or just the documentaries on Tolkien?
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/15/05 01:46 PM

They are all at least pretty good. I dont particularly enjoy the ramifications of the technical shit they used in making the films, so those documentarys didnt hold my interest as much as the others. But if your into that, then your case will be different.
Posted By: Michael/Corleone

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/15/05 09:01 PM

Well I got all 3 of the Extended Editions and I have seen every bonus material. I think they are all excellent if you are really interested, but if you don't really care about miniatures, settings and shit, don't get the EEs because they are riddled with those things.
They are interesting, but the cheesiest one are the ROTK EE bonus materials, because the last 20 minutes OF EACH DOCUMENTARY are constant hugs and cries between the cast members and the actors. You end up thinking "Wow, what a bunch of cry babies".
I'd say it has about 75% interesting materials and the rest is just okay.

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/15/05 09:35 PM

Sweet, thanks for the review Michael/Corleone. When I get the time I'll try to check them out

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/20/05 07:44 AM

I've got one more question. Ok, I believe Peter Jackson received an Oscar last year for winning Best Picture, but did the cast also receive one or no?
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/20/05 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I've got one more question. Ok, I believe Peter Jackson received an Oscar last year for winning Best Picture, but did the cast also receive one or no?
No, and that was the way it should've been. Penn and Kingsley were the best actors of the year. Charlize Theron well deserved her oscar for Monster. Tim Robbins deserved it for Mystic River. The problem was Zellwegger (don't care how I spelled her name) beating Shohreh Aghdashloo.

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/20/05 09:38 PM

So then just the Director gets one for Best Picture? I think the cast should get 1 as well, but that's just me

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/21/05 05:32 AM

Does anybody know if The Hobbit is going to be made anytime soon?
Posted By: Lauren8

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/21/05 11:00 AM

Is The Hobbit another book in the LOTR series? What is it about?
Posted By: SC

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/21/05 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren8:
Is The Hobbit another book in the LOTR series? What is it about?
"The Hobbit" is my favorite book by Tolkien. It was his first, and preceded the "LOTR" trilogy (but they're all related).

Check out the links below. The first is one describing "The Hobbit", and the second is some info on an animated version of the story that is absolutely wonderful.

THE HOBBIT SITE

THE HOBBIT VIDEO (ANIMATED)

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/23/05 05:29 PM

SC, without giving too much of the story away (because I'm REALLY looking forward to reading the book), but besides Bilbo and Gandalf, are there any other characters that are in The Hobbit that were in The Lord of the Rings? I know at the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring Bilbo is shown finding the ring and you hear Gollum. Is Gollum in The Hobbit?

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/23/05 06:30 PM

Quote:
I know at the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring Bilbo is shown finding the ring and you hear Gollum. Is Gollum in The Hobbit?
Yes. Its in "The Hobbit" that Bilbo finds the ring, and its previous "owner", Gollum, is not too happy about losing it. Some of the story overlaps in the different books.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/23/05 07:21 PM

Also the lands are the same. The Shire, Bree, Mirkwood, Rivendell, ect.

Some of the same characters are The Elves, including Elrond, goblins, orcs, Wood-elfs, The Eagles, and many of these people, including the Dwarves, are mentioned in the LOTR. Smaug is a great villian and the Battle of the Five Armies is amazing. Lets not forget about those nasty Sackville-Baggins too.

Enjoy!

The Doc

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/23/05 08:26 PM

How would you pronounce Smaug? Like smog or what? Also, that's the dragon's name, right?

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 02:06 AM

Yes, Smaug is the dragon's name and I've always pronounced it like Smog. Maybe slightly over-pronouncing the "o".

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 03:17 AM

Again without giving too much of the story away, but I read on imdb that the plot of the story is about the dragon stealing a treasure of Bilbo's or something like that? I guess they go on a quest to get it back?

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 03:39 AM

Quote:
Again without giving too much of the story away, but I read on imdb that the plot of the story is about the dragon stealing a treasure of Bilbo's or something like that? I guess they go on a quest to get it back?
You have that backwards. Bilbo Baggins steals something from Smaug.

If you're not quite ready to read the book yet I HIGHLY recommend the 1977 animated version of the story. Its beautifully done and it has a great cast (of stars doing the voices).

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 03:52 AM

Hey SC, do you have the illustrated version of the Hobbit, which uses pictures from the cartoon version you've mentioned? If not I would recommend picking it up.

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Again without giving too much of the story away, but I read on imdb that the plot of the story is about the dragon stealing a treasure of Bilbo's or something like that? I guess they go on a quest to get it back?

If you're not quite ready to read the book yet I HIGHLY recommend the 1977 animated version of the story. Its beautifully done and it has a great cast (of stars doing the voices). [/b][/quote]Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that for me. Now you've got it backwards I wanna read the movie before I watch the animated version. I'm not ready to see that until I read the book first. Usually I would watch it first b/c then while I'm reading I could visualize it, but for some reason, I really wanna read the book first. Then I gotta try to see if my work has that animated Hobbit. Did you guys hear about some of the road blocks in New Line trying to make The Hobbit? From what I gathered with little effort were:

1) As of now, Peter Jackson is obviously working on King Kong right now, so The Hobbit would have to wait until it's relesed in December later this year.

2) I think I heard that JRR Tolkien's son (Christopher) is against The Hobbit being made or something to that affect. I guess he didn't like how The Lord of the Rings Trilogy turned out?

3) I believe New Line and MGM both own the rights to The Hobbit. Last I heard Sony was trying to buy them out, but haven't heard anything new on that.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 04:28 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by SC:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Again without giving too much of the story away, but I read on imdb that the plot of the story is about the dragon stealing a treasure of Bilbo's or something like that? I guess they go on a quest to get it back?

If you're not quite ready to read the book yet I HIGHLY recommend the 1977 animated version of the story. Its beautifully done and it has a great cast (of stars doing the voices). [/b][/quote]Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that for me. Now you've got it backwards I wanna read the movie before I watch the animated version. I'm not ready to see that until I read the book first. Usually I would watch it first b/c then while I'm reading I could visualize it, but for some reason, I really wanna read the book first. Then I gotta try to see if my work has that animated Hobbit. Did you guys hear about some of the road blocks in New Line trying to make The Hobbit? From what I gathered with little effort were:

1) As of now, Peter Jackson is obviously working on King Kong right now, so The Hobbit would have to wait until it's relesed in December later this year.

[/b][/quote]After that he's doing "The Lovely Bones," which I am hoping he does well (I think Jackson is overrated) as I here it's a good novel, which is written by Alice Sebold.

Re: LOTR Question? - 02/24/05 04:42 AM

Oh man Now The Hobbit won't be made for like another 2 or 3 years.

Re: LOTR Question? - 03/02/05 04:31 AM

I just have 1 question about The Return of the King. Towards the end of the movie, who are the green ghosts that help Aragon, Gimli and Legolas?

Re: LOTR Question? - 03/09/05 09:14 PM

Another question since no one answered that last one. If Gollum knew that Biblo had the ring in the Shire, how come he never went after him to get it!?
Posted By: Michael/Corleone

Re: LOTR Question? - 03/09/05 11:49 PM

Those green ghosts are the Oathbreakers. In the war of the Second Age, also known as the Last Alliance between Elves and Men, Isildur, heir to the throne of Gondor, asked the men of the mountains and their king to swear an oath to him to fight in that war against Sauron. These men were chickens so in the end they didn't come, so Isildur cursed them to never sleep until their oath was fulfilled. Because Aragorn wore Andúril and he was the last of the line of Kings of Gondor, the undead were the guys who had to fulfill their oath in order to rest in peace.

As to question 2, altough this is merely an opinion, I think in general Gollum was afraid of people as they called him names while he was in his land and he usually had his revenge by wearing the ring and biting people's toes or something. He was miserable and was so alone that he couldn't leave his home.

Re: LOTR Question? - 03/10/05 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael/Corleone:
Those green ghosts are the Oathbreakers. In the war of the Second Age, also known as the Last Alliance between Elves and Men, Isildur, heir to the throne of Gondor, asked the men of the mountains and their king to swear an oath to him to fight in that war against Sauron. These men were chickens so in the end they didn't come, so Isildur cursed them to never sleep until their oath was fulfilled. Because Aragorn wore Andúril and he was the last of the line of Kings of Gondor, the undead were the guys who had to fulfill their oath in order to rest in peace.
Well then that makes more sense, thanks. As for Gollum, I was just asking because he loved the ring so, I was just wondering why if he loved it so, didn't he go after it?

Re: LOTR Question? - 03/13/05 01:45 AM

Got some good news. I just heard that someone asked Peter Jackson when we could expect to see The Hobbit and he said in another 3 or 4 years. So, hopefully, by 2009 it'll be out!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET