Home

Summer 2012

Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Summer 2012 - 05/01/12 05:00 AM

Ready for the summer gang?

In case your TV hasn't bashed your head over this info yet, THE AVENGERS is out this friday (already out in most foreign markets.) The dates:

May 4 - The Avengers

May 11 - Dark Shadows

May 16 - The Dictator

May 18 - Battleship
What To Do When You're Expecting

May 25 - Men in Black 3
Moonrise Kingdom

June 1 - Snow White & the Huntsman
Piranha 3DD

June 8 - Madagascar 3
Prometheus

June 15 - Rock of Ages
That's My Boy

June 22 - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Brave
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

June 29 - G.I. Joe: Retaliation (EDIT: Moved to Spring '13)
Ted (EDIT: Moved up from 7/13)
Madea's Witness Protection
Magic Mike
People Like Us

July 3 - The Amazing Spider-Man

July 6 - Savages

July 13 - Ice Age 4

July 20 - Dark Knight Rises

July 27 - Neighborhood Watch

August 3 - Total Recall
The Bourne Legacy
Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3

August 10 - The Campaign
Hope Springs

August 15 - The Odd Life of Timothy Green

August 17 - The Expendables 2
ParaNorman
Sparkle

August 24 - The Apparition
Premium Rush

August 31 - Lawless

Posted By: olivant

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 07:12 PM

I'll watch Batman but only because it was made in Pittsburgh.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

What no love for the Steelers' cameos?

~Hines Ward can't run that fast.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

What no love for the Steelers' cameos?

~Hines Ward can't run that fast.

What other team's members could possibly merit being in such an epic film.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 07:33 PM

What other team's members could possibly merit being in such an epic film.

Well some of the Steelers were recruited to fill in as Gotham City's football team ("Rogues") for that stadium sequence. Besides Ward, Ben Roethlisberger was there plus other members I can't remember who exactly.

Trivia!

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 08:12 PM

If the estimates hold up, THE AVENGERS just Hulk smashed the last HARRY POTTER picture's opening weekend record ($169.1 million) by quite a margin.

$200.3 million, depending on adjustments tomorrow/tuesday.

That movie's been out for a week in foreign territories, being a beast. I saw it on friday afternoon, packed screening, and the crowd loved it. Sometimes you just know seeing a picture, without earling published trackings or buzz, you get a sense that it's going to be a box-office monster.

To say the least, I underestimated how big this weekend. Or next weekend, which some brave souls are now claiming it'll do 100 million on it's 2nd weekend in America. I say no way, but I do remember a time when the concept of a single movie grossing a 100 million in general was hard to conceive, much less in 3 days. So who knows?

The only sure-thing? Disney stocks (They own Marvel) are going to break the ceiling tomorrow.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 09:48 PM

From Deadline.com, ·AVENGERS broken records & factoids:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Biggest domestic opening weekend of all time.

· Fastest film to reach $200M (3 days).

· Highest Saturday of all time: $69.7M.

· 8th biggest midnights opening.

· Biggest superhero midnights debut.

· Passed total domestic cume for Captain America and Thor.

· Passed international box office totals of Captain America ($192M), Iron Man ($266.7M), Thor ($268.3M), and Iron Man 2 ($311.5M) in 12 days of release.

· Biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines.

· Biggest Marvel opening weekend in Russia (May 3): $17.9M.

· Passed the global box office totals of Captain America ($364M) and Thor ($449M) and Iron Man ($585M) and Iron Man 2 ($624M).

· 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record.

· Biggest IMAX domestic opening weekend for a digital only release.

· Highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history

· Domestic weekend estimate from all 4,349 theaters: $200.3M.

· Domestic weekend theater average: $46,063.

· International weekend estimate: $151.5M

· In 52 territories representing about 95% of the international market.

· International cume: $441.5M

· Global cume estimate: $641.8M

· Crossed the $600M global box office threshold today after just 12 days of release.

· Performance to date in key international territories: UK $48.1M, Mexico $40.2M, Australia $32.2M, Korea $31.3M, Brazil $31.0M, France $26.4M, Italy $18.8M, Germany $18.3M, Russia $17.9M, China $17.4M, Spain $14.4M, Taiwan $14.3M, Philippines $11.5M.

· IMAX global total box office: $31.2M

· Cinema Score: A+

· Rotten Tomatoes: 94% positive reviews

· Audience: 50% over 25, 50% under 25; 60% male, 40% female; 55% couples, 24% family, 21% teens.

· Viewing: 52% 3D, 40% traditional 3D, 8% IMAX, 4% premium large format.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/06/12 10:27 PM

I cant wait to see how much money the Dark Knight Rises makes...

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/07/12 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
I cant wait to see how much money the Dark Knight Rises makes...

Yeah no kidding.

I'll remember this summer whenever Hollywood bitches about piracy crippling the industry.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/08/12 05:12 AM

Correction: AVENGERS grossed $207.4 million this weekend.

Anyway I'm looking at the May schedule after seeing AVENGERS the past weekend.

I'll probably go see the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp joint DARK SHADOWS. It's being sold as an ADDAMS FAMILY type comedy, yet word is out that it's not so light.

Well no shit. I saw some of the reruns on Sci-Fi of the old TV program. (My mother LOVED it when it was on back in the day.) Even if still trapped by soap opera schlock, it was compelling with the vampire Barnabas Collins who joined the show as a supervillain, but got so popular he became the protagonist, a conflicted character who much blood on his hands. The appropriate term would be "anti-hero."

I might go see THE DICTATOR as well, for it looks funny. I enjoyed Sasha Baron Cohen on SNL the other night when he was in character as the Arab dictator, torturing critics and Martin Scorsese to give good reviews for DICTATOR. ("Hey did you know Roger Ebert gave my movie thumbs up?" "Really?" "Yeah let me show them." *SBC pulls severed thumbs out of his pocket.*)

BATTLESHIP looks like the sort of mindless bombastic dreck that Michael Bay would've directed if he wasn't busy with his stupid robots. I might wait to see at the second-run theatre. To the folks who dismiss it simply because it's a movie based off a board game, well CLUE was pretty good and that was based off a board game.

I enjoyed the original MEN IN BLACK, basically an E.T. GHOSTBUSTERS. But the sequel was alot like the GHOSTBUSTERS sequel: very forgettable. So I'm not even sure I want to even bother with MEN IN BLACK 3, even if there is potential fun in seeing Josh Brolin ape a young Tommy Lee Jones. Though I'll admit at that scene in the trailer when Will Smith (time traveled back to 1969) threatened to kick Andy Warhol's ass.

I like Wes Anderson, so MOONRISE KINGDOM I'm sure will be decent. Except I've never liked him enough to haul ass to go see it since such releases never reach my local theatres unless its some superplex a hour or two away from my hour. Screw that, I'll wait for Netflix.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/08/12 05:21 AM

Whats some good stuff out on netflix right now. I have a subscription, I haven't watched anything on there for a few months.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/08/12 01:21 PM

Rewind: The Enduring Thrills of the Gothic TV Soap ‘Dark Shadows’

Quote:
Initially falling into the mold of malevolent immortal cemented in Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Frid’s fluid and engaging take on Barnabas presaged the now ubiquitous remorseful vampire that occupies such a huge place in popular culture. Without Curtis’s Dark Shadows and Frid’s Barnabas, we may not have had Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, or True Blood, or the novels of Anne Rice and countless others. (Indeed, Rice’s own Interview With the Vampire was preceded by a 1970 Dark Shadows plot in which an alcoholic author, played by John Karlen, tries to coerce an interview out of the vampiric Barnabas to write a new book.)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...rk-shadows.html

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/08/12 03:03 PM

shawarma sales up after AVENGERS

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/08/avengers-movie-shawarma/#comments-fullwrapper

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/09/12 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Whats some good stuff out on netflix right now. I have a subscription, I haven't watched anything on there for a few months.

Depends on what you like.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/09/12 03:50 AM

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/09/12 11:05 PM

Somebody seriously "studied" the alien attack/damage to NYC in THE AVENGERS movie and guesstimated the $$$ property damage: $160 billion.

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ayentertainment

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/10/12 02:38 AM

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/13/12 01:07 AM

DARK SHADOWS (which got mixed reviews) is prognosticated to make $25-30 million this weekend, AVENGERS made $29.9 million on friday alone. Deadline thinks it has a very strong shot of making history by breaking $100 million on its second weekend (it would be a first), but David Poland says no way.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 01:41 AM

Yeah i have netflix as well, i feel like i have seen everything interesting on there and there are VERY slim pickings in terms of options left to watch. Recently, I have been watching some of the foreign and indie films.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 02:27 AM

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

I think I'll wait for the sequel, Lyndon Johnson:UFO Pilot.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

I think I'll wait for the sequel, Lyndon Johnson:UFO Pilot.

or how about FDR: Hulk?

~Hitler Smash!

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 10:41 PM

So the male nerds this summer have blockbusters featuring Scarlett Johansson and Anne Hathaway in tight leather, but what do women like our locals TIS and SB get to enjoy this season?

They get MAGIC MIKE, a male stripper drama from director Steven Soderbergh, and starring Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Alex Pettyfer, Joe Manganiello, AND Matt Bomer. (Tatum actually worked as a stripper before he became an actor.)

~Also in the movie as a club bouncer, former pro wrestler Kevin Nash. Funny thing was, in the WWF he was Diesel. Which is a stripper name if there ever was one.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 10:51 PM

RR,

I have heard of that movie. I likely won't see it, but I like some of McConaughey's films AND I love Matt Bomer from one of my favorite tv shows (White Collar). I know, I know, he's eye candy (but this whole movie is no?) and I was so bummed when I found out he was gay. There goes my chance!! Damn!! lol I didn't recognize him in the clip tho. confused

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 10:57 PM

For summer 13 it looks like Ron Burgundy 2 is a go.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/17/12 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
RR,

I have heard of that movie. I likely won't see it, but I like some of McConaughey's films AND I love Matt Bomer from one of my favorite tv shows (White Collar). I know, I know, [v]he's eye candy (but this whole movie is no?)[/v] and I was so bummed when I found out he was gay. There goes my chance!! Damn!! lol I didn't recognize him in the clip tho. confused

TIS

Knowing Soderbergh, it won't be simply the eye candy movie that it's being sold as. Much more an behind-the-scenes look at that industry and subworld.

But it's being sold on beefcake, and for alot of women (and gay men), this will be their DARK KNIGHT RISES for the summer.

For summer 13 it looks like Ron Burgundy 2 is a go.

Teaser trailer was attached to prints of THE DICTATOR.

"I love....lamp."
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 01:56 AM

Maybe if it was starring Ryan Gosling or Ryan Reynolds...ESPECIALLY Ryan Reynolds.

TIS, I don't know about you, but as certain "sex symbols" age, guys like Harrison Ford, Kurt Russell, Sly, Richard Gere, and so on, I'm feeling more and more like a dirty old lady when I find these younger guys attractive! lol

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Maybe if it was starring Ryan Gosling or Ryan Reynolds...ESPECIALLY Ryan Reynolds.

TIS, I don't know about you, but as certain "sex symbols" age, guys like Harrison Ford, Kurt Russell, Sly, Richard Gere, and so on, I'm feeling more and more like a dirty old lady when I find these younger guys attractive! lol

LOL YES, I know exactly what you mean. lol Are we not suppose to notice? You're right tho. Then again, I never say "look at that hot 60 year old guy walking down the street." lol Maybe it's best to keep quiet?

TIS

Btw, I think Richard Gere, and Kurt Russell are still pretty hot. I love Sly but he's not aging as well as the other two.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 02:18 AM

Because I felt I had to do my homework (and it was fun), I went back and looked up who had won People's "Sexiest Man Alive" covers. I was surprised that Johnny Depp had won more than once, but not surprised that Brad Pitt and George Clooney also had. It was sad to see the covers featuring Patrick Swayze and JFK, Jr., though. And Harry Hamlin won once?? He was handsome, but that was the sexiest man they could come up with???

Here's the link if you want to take a peek.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/topic/special/0,,20188535,00.html

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 02:24 AM

The link isn't working but I can try to copy/paste in my browser.

If we are talking older sexy, it's gotta be George Clooney. That guy has a flawless look IMHO. wink Combine that with a great sense of humor and down to earth personality. Nice!! LOL

JFK Jr. too, a prince charming type handsome and Johnny Depp is good looking too. I never minded Harry Hamlin but yea, don't know if he'd be on top of the list. And Patrick Swayze's personality made him even better looking.

So, I ask, how did we go astray on this topic? RR's gonna be pissed. wink

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 06:36 AM

no no girls, continue on your cougar note swapping. smile

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 04:32 PM

no no girls, continue on your cougar note swapping. smile

Thanks RR but I'm putting us back on track. wink Here's a list of ALL 2012 movie releases, including the ones you listed.

I see in August the "Bourne Legacy" will be released. I absolutely love (and own) the Bourne Trilogy but sorry, there is only one Jason Bourne IMHO so I'll pass on going to the movie. I may see it when it comes to HBO but don't have desire to go out and see it. ohwell

Not on this year's list but I am looking forward to next year to see Stephen King's 11-22-63. smile

TIS

http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2012/

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 04:49 PM

I see in August the "Bourne Legacy" will be released. I absolutely love (and own) the Bourne Trilogy but sorry, there is only one Jason Bourne IMHO so I'll pass on going to the movie. I may see it when it comes to HBO but don't have desire to go out and see it. ohwell

Actually I'm intrigued by BOURNE LEGACY because for two reasons:

(1) Directed by Tony Gilroy, who was the only screenwriter to have had a hand writing all the previous BOURNE pictures. He's been on Team Bourne longer than Paul Greengrass was. And as a director he directed the very good MICHAEL CLAYTON and the underseen fun DUPLICITY. He's good with actors, and if he really has a good idea for BOURNE....what am I to doubt him?

(2) It's got a really good cast. Jeremy Renner, Edward Norton, Rachel Weisz.

BTW, has anyone notice Renner is now Hollywood's go-to-spy? First he was in the last (quite decent) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE picture, then AVENGERS as assasssin marksman Hawkeye, and later this summer BOURNE LEGACY.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 05:06 PM

RR,

I agree with the cast though I'm not all that familiar with Renner. In particular I really like Edward Norton. I'll look for your review after you see it. smile

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/18/12 06:22 PM

Yesterday AVENGERS crossed $400 million domestically in 14 days (record), tracked to cross $450 m this weekend (record, 10 days of the record-holder), and now officially worldwide Disney's biggest grossing hit ever. #6 biggest hit in history.

BATTLESHIP is not going to have a good weekend. You sunk my movie!

Could AVENGERS threaten AVATAR's all-time box-office crown? If that happens, will James Cameron hulk out and destroy Burbank?

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/19/12 02:15 AM

With Hollywood depending increasingly on the burdgeoning untraditional foreign markets like Russia, we get awkward (if amusing) TV appearances like these.

Posted By: Lilo

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/20/12 11:23 AM

I discovered Larry Williams through his Game of Thrones reviews which are incredibly enthusiastic and unspoiled. Here he does his Avengers video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXtA_Dso9Y&feature=g-all-u

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/20/12 03:48 PM

Misc data nugget: Biggest grossing foreign territories for THE AVENGERS:

UK - $73M
China - $69M
Mexico - $56M
Brazil - $51M
South Korea - $47M

And this is why Hollywood will never say a bad thing about China again. What dictatorship? This Tibet, sorry I don't gamble.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/21/12 11:21 PM

SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN ("Calling Mike Huntsman") is out the friday after next, but jeez this early pre-release review trashes it.

http://www.dogatemywookie.co.uk/?p=23713

It does raise a question: Why would somebody as beautiful as Charlize Theron (the evil Queen) be desperately to kill a mediocre teen-idol-of-the-day Kristen Stewart? I mean Stewart I guess is hot, if the look of frequent constipation is now considered sexy.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/22/12 02:22 AM

Genius.

So we got a new Spider-Man picture in July, with Andrew Garfield the new Peter Parker. So who does VMAN magazine get to interview Garfield? The previous Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire.

http://www.vman.com/articles/the-amazing-andrew-garfield/?page=2

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/23/12 02:06 AM

For whatever reason Will Smith didn't produce a track for the third MEN IN BLACK picture as he did for the previous movies. Pitbull for the pinch hit.

~And STRIKE OUT! Wow that sucked.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/23/12 02:31 PM

On Monday night the History Channel will air the first installment of its original series, "The Hatfields and McCoys." I don't watch tv series, but hope to make an exception for this. This feud is a lively and fascinating slice of American history.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/23/12 03:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Klyd. I will definitely DVR it!

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/23/12 09:01 PM

Also, SB, I know you're a fan of The Great Gatsby. I understand a new film is on its way with DiCaprio. I don't know if it's for tv or the theatre. I don't know who'll play Tom Buchanan, but I thought Bruce Dern did a good job in the 70s.

The Great Gatsby, I believe, is the quintessential American novel.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/24/12 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Also, SB, I know you're a fan of The Great Gatsby. I understand a new film is on its way with DiCaprio. I don't know if it's for tv or the theatre. I don't know who'll play Tom Buchanan, but I thought Bruce Dern did a good job in the 70s.

The Great Gatsby, I believe, is the quintessential American novel.

It's out Christmas, from Baz Luhrmann (MOULIN ROUGE!)

Leo is Gatsby, his former party buddy Tobey Maguire is Nick Carraway, and Carey Mulligan is Daisy Buchanan. Tom Buchanan is being played by the relatively obscure in comparison Joel Edgerton.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/24/12 02:07 AM

Thanks, ronnie. I'm going to make a point to see this. I think Tobey Maguire is well cast as Nick Carraway.
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/24/12 02:11 AM

i wonder if leo will get his oscar this year, many thought he might with j. edgar last year. if anything though it looks far more interesting than the redford film.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/24/12 02:38 AM

Bad news: G.I. JOE RETALIATION(supposed to come out next month)has been postponed to release in spring 2013 instead so it can be converted to 3-D.

Bullshit.

Why do I say that? Because a movie (especially summer fare) that isn't post-production converted to 3-D is the exception, not the rule. Christopher Nolan was able to release THE DARK KNIGHT RISES w/o that 3-D garbage only because he has power, got WB by the balls.

G.I. JOE 2 has been more or less in the can (i.e. finished) for over a year. And Paramount/Hasbro had not post-converted it to 3-D yet? Nobody is that massively incompetent or stupid, not even in Hollywood.

No if you want my gut feeling (w/o hard proof), I think the movie was test previewed somewhere and it flopped. The studio shat their pants, especially Hasbro since their recent movie BATTLESHIP sank in theatres. With that in mind, they pressed the panic button and decided to coup their loses, have it come out next spring in a less-crowded movie release season. If my armchair theory is apt, then this means inevitable reshooting, recutting, all that.

You know what's funny though? Apparently GI JOE RETALIATION figures already shipped. Will we see Slurpee cups and stuff in the coming weeks despite the delay?

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/205422998746963968

Anyway too bad about this news. Sure the first G.I. JOE movie sucked, but I had some modest hopes for the sequel. I'm all for a good live action, big budget saturday morning cartoon adventure. The keywood being "good."

Plus Bruce Willis and The Rock kicking ass? What's not to like?

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/24/12 03:38 AM

New DARK KNIGHT RISES tv spots

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/24/12 12:34 PM

Thanks, Klyd. I think Leonardo will make an interesting Gatsby. I just saw Blood Diamond for the first time in several years and was so impressed with him all over again.

When I saw Michelle Williams at all the awards shows this year, I thought she would be a perfect Daisy.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/25/12 10:23 PM

Viral marketing for an upcoming web-slinging blockbuster.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/26/12 03:53 PM

MEN IN BLACK 3 (and it's reported $300 million pricetag) is the big release out this weekend, and actually getting better-than-expected reviews.

But the interesting story to follow might be Wes Anderson's MOONRISE KINGDOM, it made $175,000 from four theatres, for a single day PTA of $43,750. An opening day PTA record for a live-action movie. If this keeps up, it can break DREAMGIRLS' record for biggest weekend PTA for a live-action non-Disney movie. ($126,316)

Bill Murray (who's in the movie) did this funny clip for YT.

Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 05:29 AM

Here it is...

Why “Jersey Shore Shark Attack” Will Be The Best Movie Of The Summer [WARNING!! SEIZURE ALERT!!]

Quote:
“Stay away from the water, bro!” Syfy’s genre-busting summer film Jersey Shore Shark Attack now has a guido-chomping trailer. The film stars Tony Sirico (The Sopranos), Paul Sorvino (Goodfellas), Jack Scalia (Dallas), Joey Fatone (‘N Sync), William Atherton (Die Hard) and Jersey Shore’s Vinny Guadagnino (playing an enthusiastic reporter). The movie unfolds during the July 4 weekend at the Jersey Shore, where angry sharks are on a rampage, devouring residents, leaving it to the locals to save the day. The film debuts Saturday, June 9. There was a leaked trailer floating around from the show’s overseas distributor, but here’s your first official look from Syfy:

TRAILER

rolleyes cry
Posted By: SC

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 05:38 AM

OMG.... it looks like "Jaws 3 Meets Snookie"... a real powerful drama. rolleyes

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 05:48 AM

Why the hell Paul Sorvino and Tony Sirico would even do this TV spoof is beyond me... let alone why it was created in the first place!

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 05:51 AM

Money.

I'm not surprised that someone like Tony Sirico would appear in it, but someone with Paul Sorvino's credentials surprises me.

I'm thinking about moving to Jersey, so I won't say anything about the state. ohwell

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 05:55 AM

Hey, I love NJ! It's nothing like what's portrayed on TV (at least where I am, most of the time). We're getting the "New Yawka" stereotype treatment I guess wink

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
I'm thinking about moving to Jersey,

And I know you've been thinking about it for a while, but unless you just hate NY, also consider Staten Island -- Cardi's territory -- it's like 90/10 NJ if you wanna start more slowly. lol But I think taxes and gas are easier here....

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 06:20 AM

It'd be nice to live closer to Don Cardi but Staten Island doesn't appeal to me. I found a few listings in Washington, NJ (out north and west) that look OK.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 06:30 AM

Washington NJ is like living in the woods... that's FAR from here AND there!! If that's okay with you, then fine; but good luck getting a good pizza or anything else in no-mans-land. Seriously, that's WAY out there; might as well move to Pennsy/Poconos at that point....

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 03:08 PM

SC,

You really gonna move???

smile
TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 03:12 PM

Have a cold beer with me and we'll discuss it in the summer house.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 03:18 PM

Sure, but let me say, California is beautiful this time of year (or any time of year for that matter). grin

Just sayen!!!! lol

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 03:23 PM

Just sayen!!!! lol

That's a frosty thing to say on a hot summer day. I'm not ready to move out to the coast.... Jersey or Pennsylvania is as far as I'll go.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 03:44 PM

Just sayen!!!! lol

That's a frosty thing to say on a hot summer day. I'm not ready to move out to the coast.... Jersey or Pennsylvania is as far as I'll go.

Well, Jersey you got Geoff to hang out with and in PA there's Kly. wink

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/28/12 03:45 PM

Just sayen!!!! lol

Remember our Commonwealth's adage from the 70s: "You've Got a Friend in Pennsylvania." The Poconos have grown rapidly over the past ten years as many Philadelphians and New Yorkers have decided that the rustic tranquility is worth the commute. A lot of the homes along the lakes are also used as weekend retreats.

Also, the Poconos is a great place for cats. wink

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/29/12 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

That sounds AWESOME.

I bet Asylum is behind it.

I wonder how they're doing in their lawsuit filed against them by Universal?

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/29/12 02:46 AM

Where do our national candidates stand on the greatest issue of the upcoming election: Vampires?

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/29/12 02:52 AM

Wow! Really? Honest Abe, Vampire slayer? You know I thought it was a joke of some kind when I saw that title. uhwhat Couldn't tell too much from the clip, but interesting concept. I never would have guessed. lol

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/29/12 04:19 AM

I think now I've actually seen everything. uhwhat
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/29/12 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I think now I've actually seen everything. uhwhat

But have you ever seen an elephant fly??
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/29/12 03:07 PM

Where do our national candidates stand on the greatest issue of the upcoming election: Vampires?

The movie is actually based off of this book. It's actually a very well-written, well-researched (the history parts) book, with a perfect melding of real history and fantasy. The film will probably suck, but I highly recommend the book. It is quite funny!

The author of this book also wrote PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES. A very clever take on a classic novel that is equally as good as ABE LINCOLN.

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/30/12 11:04 AM

Deadline last night published an updated, expanded report on why Paramount dumped the G.I. JOE sequel from next month to next spring.

I predicted it would be for reshoots based off test screenings, and I WAS RIGHT! The rest of the Internet said the same thing, but still I WAS RIGHT!!!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/big-problems-behind-g-i-joe-2s-big-delay/

Re: Summer 2012 - 05/30/12 11:20 AM

The trade reviews for PROMETHEUS are starting to come out. From THR and Variety, thumbs up.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/...ssbender-330414

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947665/

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/02/12 05:05 AM

NASA is showing THE AVENGERS to the astronauts on the International Space Station.

http://www.eonline.com/news/avengers_going_outer_space/320412

~They were gonna show BATTLESHIP, but they were afraid they were gonna have an EVENT HORIZON on their hands.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/03/12 01:22 AM

You know, until this past week I had zero interest in seeing SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN. But then the very polarizing reviews have trickled in. This isn't all-around praise for THE AVENGERS or general dismissal of BATTLESHIP, this is a movie that either people liked or hated. No real MOTR room, it's like the movie is daring me to give my own opinion and take a side. That intrigues me.

I mean it's not everyday when Bella, Mario, and Thor go and fight Aileen Wuornos.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/05/12 01:31 AM

Reports from different corners are claiming THE DARK KNIGHT RISE's final runtime is 3 hours long, or close to it.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/07/12 08:50 AM

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER has been rated R for violence and "brief sexuality." I hope this doesn't involve Honest Abe.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/07/12 12:00 PM

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER has been rated R for violence and "brief sexuality." I hope this doesn't involve Honest Abe.

Or worse, Mary Todd Lincoln! panic
Posted By: JonahPerelman

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/07/12 12:10 PM

I got the impression the book was funny. The movie looks anything but. Please tell me they didn't take something tongue in cheek and attempt to make a serious thriller out of it.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/08/12 03:18 AM

That would get the movie banned and locked up in police vaults along with the other snuff movies.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/08/12 03:31 AM

Never saw a snuff movie could you recommend one that not a * *1/3 ^^

That would get the movie banned and locked up in police vaults along with the other snuff movies.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/08/12 03:52 AM

Universal has announced they're making a sequel for SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN, and it's being 'fast-tracked' with David Koepp (MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE, SPIDER-MAN) hired to script it.

I thought people were split on it, with even the positive reviews slapping it for a mess of a script? But hey what do I know? Not my money.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/snow-white-and-the-huntsman-sequel-universal/

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/08/12 04:14 AM

Never saw a snuff movie could you recommend one that not a * *1/3 ^^

Huh?

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/08/12 04:17 AM

I mean your a movie critic right? Whats a good snuff movie? I was using your rating system. ******

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/08/12 05:51 AM

I mean your a movie critic right? Whats a good snuff movie? I was using your rating system. ******

As soon as I debase myself, my values, and soul and actually watch a legit snuff film (and not pseudo-productions like CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST or FACES OF DEATH), then I'll let you know.

~Well, does the Saddam Hussein execution tape con YT ount? Personally I thought the [SPOILER] part where his head popped off was quite a surprise.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/12/12 12:03 AM

Ah this would've been cool.

LatinoReview reports that allegedly the Oscorp building from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (as seen in the trailer/ads) was originally supposed to be seen in a blink-and-you'll-miss Easter Egg in the NYC skyline for the AVENGERS finale. Sony and Disney even made the legal arrangements to make it happen, but FX post-production schedule crunch killed that plan (i.e. too late in the game.)

http://latino-review.com/2012/06/11/spider-man-the-avengers-sort/

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/13/12 10:55 PM

(TIS will read this I'm sure. whistle)

Matt Bomer tells about how he and the rest of the MAGIC MIKE actors playing strippers were mandated to undergo "Manscaping," where you become totally hairless. (Totally.)

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2012/06/13/matt-bomer-magic-mike-manscaping/

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/13/12 11:11 PM

(TIS will read this I'm sure. whistle)

Matt Bomer tells about how he and the rest of the MAGIC MIKE actors playing strippers were mandated to undergo "Manscaping," where you become totally hairless. (Totally.)

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2012/06/13/matt-bomer-magic-mike-manscaping/

Nice body Matt! smile Certainly much different than his White Collar character that's for sure. uhwhat Not really certain if the movie interests me though. Maybe I'm getting old. But RR, thanks for thinking of me. LOL

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/14/12 03:26 AM

Well, how did ya'll like the new Dallas? I enjoyed it. It doesn't have the grandness or quite the intrigue that the old series had, but I'll stay with it for the summer.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/14/12 03:50 PM

I didn't see it (wasn't aware that it was already on) but I did hear good reviews by a couple people on the radio this morning.

Although I did see the original, I was not a regular viewer (tho I like everyone, I did tune in to see who shot JR. If I remember correctly, even Vegas was taking odds on who shot him.) lol Anyway I was more tuned in to the spinoff of Dallas, "Knot's Landing."

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/15/12 12:56 AM

It did really well attracting almost 7 million viewers. I like that it stayed true to original series nature with the conflict continuing among Bobby's and JR's offspring. Of course, they updated the sex (more of it). I missed Charlene Tilton though. I had wanted to see her. Can't wait 'til next Weds.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/17/12 07:18 AM

Didn't know the legend Stan "The Man" Lee now his own YouTube talk show. Anyway in the newest episode, he chats with THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN director Marc Webb.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/18/12 06:27 AM

Batman's next villain: Scalpers.

Quote:
Tickets for "The Dark Knight Rises" went on sale earlier this week, and of course, the first midnight screenings sold out immediately. But if you must, must, must see the very first public screenings of the film in IMAX on midnight July 19th, leading into July 20th, the date of release, evidently scalpers are selling them on eBay and Craigslist for an 80% mark-up, landing the price on average around $150.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/w...e-case-20120615

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/19/12 04:16 PM

Sony and Wal-Mart are "selling" a full scene from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN for $3. Or you can see it for free at YouTube.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/20/12 02:07 PM

James Horner's soundtrack for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN has gone online.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=61909
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/20/12 06:10 PM

"That's My Boy," "Rock of Ages" flop at box office

(CBS/AP) "Rock of Ages" and "That's My Boy" both flopped at the box office over the weekend, as Ben Stiller and his voice co-stars of "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" held on to the No. 1 spot for the second week, with $35.5 million.

Studio estimates Sunday put Ridley Scott's sci-fi adventure "Prometheus" at No. 2 again with $20.2 million.

The star-studded musical "Rock of Ages," whose cast includes Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Alec Baldwin, flopped at No. 3 with $15.1 million.

Sandler's "That's My Boy" bombed with $13 million, the worst showing for one of his broad comedies since the mid-1990s. "That's My Boy" came in at No. 5, behind the $13.8 million for "Snow White & the Huntsman," a film that's been out for three weekends already.

"That's My Boy" stars Sandler as a guy who became a fleeting teen celebrity after getting his seventh-grade teacher pregnant and now is a middle-aged loser trying to reconnect with his son (Andy Samberg).

As with most Sandler movies, the reviews were bad, but that usually does not stop his audience of young males from showing up.

The R rating for "That's My Boy" may have cut into the movie's business, prohibiting those under 17 from seeing it without an adult. Sandler's comedies usually are rated PG-13.

But Sandler has plenty of fans in their late teens and 20s, and that crowd had little interest in "That's My Boy."

Sandler has been one of Hollywood's steadiest earners since the late 1990s, with hits such as "The Longest Yard," "Anger Management," "Big Daddy" and "Grown-ups" opening with more than $40 million and becoming $100 million hits.

Sony remains high on Sandler, backing his upcoming animated comedy "Hotel Transylvania," along with "Grown-ups 2."

Warner Bros. had its own dud with "Rock of Ages," adapted from the stage show built around 1980s rock hits and featuring an ensemble that includes Cruise, Zeta-Jones, Baldwin, Julianne Hough and Mary J. Blige.

"That's My Boy" and "Rock of Ages" have joined Johnny Depp's "Dark Shadows" among star-driven releases that fell flat.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/20/12 06:36 PM

PB, I've never understood Sandler's attraction for anyone. He's only as good as his script - even on SNL

Tom Cruise I wouldn't walk across the street to see.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/22/12 05:57 PM

Well kharma is mean, but I deserved this.

I've teased TIS more than once about MAGIC MIKE, and then while visiting my parents this morning, I heard my mother on the phone talking to one of her friends, saying about the summer movies and yeah she would like to see that.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/22/12 06:56 PM

Ha ha ha lol

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/22/12 07:14 PM

Another ASM scene released online yesterday.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/25/12 11:50 AM

I can't say I was looking forward to Oliver Stone's SAVAGES because a compelling, controversial, and insane director who's de-evolved into boring pedestrian filmmaking of irrelevance has made me not give much of a shit about him anymore. Really sad development for a guy who once made JFK and NATURAL BORN KILLERS.

Maybe he's back on coke because early pre-screening reactions to SAVAGES are very positive. At least according to the Twitterverse. Now mind you, this might not seem as good as it sounds since for every 20 people who tweet about liking it, you could have 500 others who didn't bother to tweet because they hated it or they didn't like it enough to make the effort? (Nevermind planted tweets.)

But none the less:

Quote:
Shea Hennum @SheaHisself

"I saw #SAVAGES earlier. Really, really liked it. Might be my favorite of the year so far."

Stephanie Miller @stephonieeann

"Such a good f-ing movie #savages"

Gabriele Nordio @gabrinordio

"@TheOliverStone Just watched #Savages in NY! It's a masterpiece, I loved it!"

Sachini J. @sachijayy

"Savages is a CRAZY f-ing movie. Never wanted to gag scream + cry so badly. A lot of gore and not for weak stomachs. MUST WATCH!! Jul 6th!!"

Garrett Bass @BassTwoDelta

"Just saw the movie "Savages" --- it was GREAT! #savages"

Peter Gagliano @PeterGagliano

"WOW!!! #Savages

@TheOliverStone may have just saved Taylor Kitsch's career with #Savages"

Jared Alexander @yab0iflame

"Just left the screening for #OliverStones new movie #SAVAGES all I can say is dope!!!!! @AaronPerrryj does a #KickAss job again #TwoThumbsUp"

Princess Dyana @dyana_nicole

"Everyone should go see #Savages in July! That movie was crazy ass hell."

Alyse Whitney @AlyseWhitney

"I was skeptical about #Savages -- in which Blake Lively dates two guys at once -- but it was fantastic. A must-see with twists galore!"

Brittney Refakes @BrittneyRefakes

"Benicio Del Toro phenomenal. Salma Hayek surprising. Aaron Johnson adorable. #savages"

David A. Arnold @DavidAArnold

"Just saw Savages at movies...this was the TRUTH! #realmovies"

Meg Keathley @megkeathleyy

"#savages was awesome! my new all time favorite.ever #iamsavage"

Dreas @Bklynst8ofmind

"@Stfu_BITCH I went to an early screening for "Savages" last night it was a cool movie"

MargheritaPellegrino @SaturnDreaming

"I watched Savages today. When it finished my hands were still trembling."

Amber Dixon @AmberDixon26

"Just saw #Savages. @TheOliverStone is here to stay. Fresh, fierce, fun as *beep*. Go see it. Masterfully directed~"

Hadie DeJesus @HadieDeJesus

"The trailer for @Savages doesn't do the movie justice. It's a goodie. Add it to your must-see summer list. #Savages #summer2012"

Chrissy Iley @ChrissyIley

"Savages was savagely good - Oliver Stone best work this decade"

Charles Casillo @CharlesCasillo

"Saw a screening of Oliver Stone's "Savages." It's exciting & brutal, and gory & some great lines and twists. Great performances all around"

Claire Leahy @ClaireLeahy

"Sooo y'all need & I mean NEED to go see Savages the day it's released. It is beyond phenomenal. I'm blown away&you can see Collins in it!"

Mike Packer @Mike_Packer

"I got to see SAVAGES today, not sure if I'm allowed to talk about it but all I will say is... AMAZING. Favourite film of the year. #Savages"

Gideon Yago @gideonyago

"Saw a screening of 'Savages' last night. Really good pulpy noir. Now just hoping somebody brings 'Already Dead' to the screen ..."

David Wood @DWCountry

""Saw screening of Oliver Stone's new movie-"Savages" at Director's Guild. One of his best. Nothing predictable here. Congrats Oliver ..."

Carole Radziwill @CaroleRadziwill

"Saw Savages the movie tonight. Amazing. Must see when it comes to theater near you."

Jerry Penacoli @JerryPenacoli

"Shocking! Saw TWO great movies in a row: "People Like Us" and "Savages" @MichellePheiffer @JohnTravolta #neverbeenbetter"

Sandro Monetti @SandroMonetti

"#BeniciodelToro deserves a best supporting actor #Oscar nomination for new film #Savages for playing a memorable crazy villain"

hiphopgamer @hiphopgamer

@tordavis @TheOliverStone @HIGH_TIMES_Mag can't go into details like that, but YOOOOOO It was BRUTAL man the ACTION and STORY WAS GREAT. #savages

RICH GONZALES @FarceProd

"ok so SAVAGES...the best OLIVER STONE movie in years the whole cast gives great performances especially Benicio... "

Nayala Smith @NayalaSmith

"Went to a pre-release screening of #SAVAGES. Words can't describe this film. One of my FAVORITE movies now. No joke. Damn you Oliver Stone!"

RayRei @RayReiMK

"#Savages was raw as hell, totally surprised by it"

Out July 6.

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/25/12 11:55 AM

Just looking at this summer, and the year in general the movies are again looking pretty crap, sick to death of these comic book remakes with over done CGI and wooden actors, thought the Avengers was very average. Really noticed the quality of movies has really declined over the last decade or so.
Saw that Rock of ages movie the other day was truly awful movie, Russell Brand's movies so far have been pretty bad, should stick to his stand-up.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/25/12 12:36 PM

Movies are about as good (and about as bad) as they've ever been.
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/25/12 12:44 PM

I doubt a movie of the quality of the Godfather would come out now, and I don't mean a mob movie.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/25/12 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
I doubt a movie of the quality of the Godfather would come out now, and I don't mean a mob movie.

Somebody online argued that with the business today, a Coppola type wouldn't break out with a GODFATHER but instead use a superhero property (instead of a best selling novel) to get himself over.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/26/12 09:30 PM

The domestic reviews are dropping in slowly for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

Christy Lemire (AP Movie Critic) liked it, gives it 3 out of 4 stars.

Quote:
the hands of Tobey Maguire, who originated the role in "Spider-Man" a decade ago, Peter was nerdy, scrawny, insecure - that's how his everyman relatability manifested itself. Garfield plays Peter as more of a misunderstood outsider, a rebel with a chip on his shoulder, a guy who wasn't afraid to stand up to the class bully even before he underwent his transformation. And that slightly arrogant attitude gives the whole movie a restless, reckless energy and a welcome sense of danger.

At the helm, Marc Webb is a very different sort of director. He may not have sounded like the most obvious choice for a hugely anticipated blockbuster based on his only previous feature, the romantic comedy charmer "(500) Days of Summer." His big set pieces may lack some of the imagination that director Sam Raimi brought previously, but they'll do. More importantly, though, he conveys an emotional truth, a pervasive sense of humanity, which may be an even tougher feat in this kind of fantastical scenario.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/26/2869123/review-garfield-a-restless-reckless.html#storylink=cpy

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/27/12 02:43 AM

Currently on the online movie ticket-buying website Fandango, MAGIC MIKE is #1 while TED is #4 in pre-release ticket sales.

Both are out this weekend.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/28/12 10:27 AM

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is getting the widest opening release ever in India for a Hollywood movie with over 1,000 prints. (Releaesd in 4 languages: English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazing-spider-man-widest-india-release-342712

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/29/12 10:51 AM

FYI misc., Roger Ebert has given thumbs up to the upcoming releaess TED, MAGIC MIKE, and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (which is out tuesday.)

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/30/12 05:23 PM

Friday estimates:

1. Ted: $20,200,000
2. Magic Mike: $19,410,000
3. Brave: $10,328,000
4. Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection: $10,250,000
5. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: $3,575,000

I'm not the biggest Seth McFarlane fan, but I'm sure his local fans like jGeoff are going to see TED which is on pace to win the weekend big. I guess Seth is now a movie star too now. Good for him. (The trailer made me laugh.)

MAGIC MIKE is wildly overperforming. It was tracking originally for $15 million for the whole weekend, but it already outgrossed that on friday alone. The women, their dates dragged to it, and gay men are all out in force for that one. (One tagline used by WB: “on June 29th tell your boyfriend you’re going to the book club.”)

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/30/12 05:29 PM

"Ted" actually looks pretty funny.

I can't stand Matthew McConaughey, his bare chest, or his Texan drawl. To each his own, but I just don't like him.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/30/12 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I can't stand Matthew McConaughey, his bare chest, or his Texan drawl. To each his own, but I just don't like him.

I had dinner with one of my daughters the other night. She had me stop at the theater to pick up tickets for the McConaughey movie. Although I've never watched more than a few minutes of his movies, I don't see his performance value. Apparently, my daughter does.

Re: Summer 2012 - 06/30/12 07:04 PM

I can't stand Matthew McConaughey, his bare chest, or his Texan drawl.

I don't care if he never speaks again. smile

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/01/12 01:52 AM

[quote=pizzaboy]
I had dinner with one of my daughters the other night. She had me stop at the theater to pick up tickets for the McConaughey movie. Although I've never watched more than a few minutes of his movies, I don't see his performance value. Apparently, my daughter does.

For MAGIC MIKE, I don't think your female offspring cares about his acting in that one.

Fun Fact: former WWF/WCW pro wrestler Kevin Nash(aka Diesel) is also in the movie. (Hopefully "Big Sexy" doesn't strip.)

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/01/12 01:54 AM

A friend of mine saw it yesterday, described it as FAMILY GUY on steroids.

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/02/12 05:15 PM

We're into the 4th episode of the Dallas series reprise. It's got me hooked just like the original. You just can't beat JR as he is up to his old shenanigans.

I noticed thought that the opening theme, although generally faithful to that of the original, is shortened. I guess that's in keeping with TV today which tries to eke out as much advertising space as possible.

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/02/12 05:17 PM

I love how J.R. and Bobby are both dying (but not really dying wink ).

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/02/12 05:23 PM

We're into the 4th episode of the Dallas series reprise. It's got me hooked just liek th eoriginal. You just can't beat JR as he is up to his old shenanigans.

I noticed thought that the opening theme, although generally faithful to that of the original, is shortened. I guess that's in keeping with TV today which tries to eke out as much advertising space as possible.

Funny you mention the theme. I don't watch Dallas, but do watch Hawaii Five-0 and same with that theme. The original was one verse (?) longer. Hmmmm confused

TIS

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/02/12 05:27 PM

I watched Hawaii one time and I too noticed the theme off a little from the original.

That's in keeping with TV economics these days. Remember how tv shows used to open with a long theme and introduction of characters before you got to the episode? I think it was in the early 90s that the change from one program to the next became seamless. Now they rund the cast and production team names over the opening scenes and dialogue.

Re: Summer 2012 - 07/02/12 05:34 PM

I think "Frasier" (1993) was the first show to do away with the intro. There was just a brief piano tinkle to open the show, and of course there was a closing song ("Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs").

Re: Summer 2012 - 11/13/12 07:47 AM

Just Watched Savages

How can a movie me watchable and good, saying watchable is like it wasn't worth your time! lol

*** 1/4 lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET