Home

The Town

Posted By: Lovecraft

The Town - 10/09/10 03:34 AM

How is there not a thread for this film yet? confused

just a fantastic crime drama/ heist film! Ben Affleck really surprised me, both as an actor and a director. Go watch it if you haven't, I definitely recommend it!
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: The Town - 10/09/10 10:27 AM

Me and my good lady are planning on going to see this film next Wednesday. All the reviews i have read have been excellent.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Town - 10/09/10 01:35 PM

I saw previews of The Town and it DOES look good. I would like to see it. However, since I saw previews of the DeNiro/Norton film, I'm thinking I might see that first. That looks really good. smile

TIS

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 03:34 PM

Well i went to see it and it was excellent. Affleck is making a great name for himself as a director and his acting is top notch as well.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Me and my good lady are planning on going to see this film next Wednesday.

I'm telling your wife.

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Me and my good lady are planning on going to see this film next Wednesday.

I'm telling your wife.

shhh lol

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 03:49 PM

Affleck has turned into quite a director. His direction of "Gone, Baby, Gone" was the best Dennis Lehane adaptation to date. Much better than Clint's "Mystic River," and even better than Marty's "Shutter Island." I think it helps that he really knows Boston so well, so I'll definitely be seeing "The Town."

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 03:51 PM

You will not regret it PB. The best film i have seen in a long while!

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 05:18 PM

Town does look very good. However, I am intrigued with "Stone", with DeNiro & Norton. Looks good!! smile Oh, and I'd still like to see "Inception" with Leo too.
It's been a very long time since so many movies appealed to me at one time. And, I still wanna see Nowhere Boy too.

TIS
Posted By: veneratio

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 08:20 PM

I want to go and see this tonight, I haven't seen a new good crime movie out since The Departed it feels like...
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 10:14 PM

I want to see "Reds" with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich. I heard that even Ernest Borgnine has a cameo!
Posted By: SC

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I heard that even Ernest Borgnine has a cameo!

I saw a clip from it today on tv.... Borgnine looks AMAZING especially considering that he is 93 years old.

Re: The Town - 10/15/10 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I want to see "Reds" with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich. I heard that even Ernest Borgnine has a cameo!

Yea, that one doesn't look bad either. I like the whole cast. Ernest Borgnine? Wow, for some reason it seems like that guy should be over 100. It seems like he's been around forever. lol

I'm telling you, for my taste anyway, I'm finding a few movies that I actually would like to go see. smile

TIS

Re: The Town - 10/16/10 08:08 AM

What is 'Reds' about?
Posted By: Lilo

Re: The Town - 10/16/10 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: veneratio
What is 'Reds' about?

From the trailers it's about Retired Extremely Dangerous (thus the acronym) CIA agents who get back in the game when persons unknown start trying to kill them.

Re: The Town - 10/16/10 07:17 PM

I really like Bruce Willis. It's too bad that, for whatever reason, he got stuck in the Die Hard, "John McClain" mold that he can't seem to get out of. Not that I didn't love Die Hard. It's one of my favorite movies. smile I'm just saying, he's a good actor but has never been able to surpass that movie character, muck like Stallone and the Rocky/Rambo characters. ohwell

TIS

Re: The Town - 10/16/10 07:29 PM

Willis has more range than Stallone, though. Plus, I think he's probably a better actor in general.

Re: The Town - 10/17/10 05:05 AM

Just got back from 'The Town'
I really enjoyed it. Thought the casting was good, some funny moments, at times it made me think of 'Point Break' (yes that terrible movie) but only the bank robbers masks.

Affleck was great I thought.
Why does everyone bag him? I thought he was great.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: The Town - 10/17/10 01:32 PM

Some brief thoughts on the film that I've posted elsewhere:

A fast, post-Heat genre vehicle that substitutes the glossy sea-view apartments and wide highways common to this sort of thriller with a more downbeat, old neighbourhood feel (bank robbing is a 'profession' passed down through generations), with narrow one-way streets that hinder any getaway truck and community buildings long in need of grants and refurbishment. If it's heart is in the right place – one can see its intentions firmly written on its sleeve – it settles too often on old-fashioned motion-turning: even the 'moral ambiguity' of the cops and robbers dynamic has point-of-view on its side, and Affleck is too keen on playing the good-guy villain. Scenes between him and Rebecca Hall are driven by shorthand superficiality: personal past parental problems stand in for genuine character depth; John Hamm seems to be on board only to test his big-screen potential. That said, it's an often involving entry into the heist genre that handles its material with much commitment and not much pretension.

As it happens, I also watched Affleck's debut feature, Gone Baby Gone, two days after. My thoughts:

Adaptation of a novel by the same author as Mystic River, and, like that film, one that is ugly and mechanical, relying on a great deal of the viewer's discretion in overlooking some implausible plotting because the subject matter is so 'dark' and 'serious'. It seemingly doesn't matter that the characters and the relationships between them are all superficial in that way genre films apparently demand. Debut director Ben Affleck gains much from reliable brother Casey, but even committed efforts from both can't make something seamless out of a story whose concluding moral dilemma leaps out as the contrived core of an uninteresting Maguffin.
Posted By: Lovecraft

Re: The Town - 10/20/10 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: veneratio
I want to go and see this tonight, I haven't seen a new good crime movie out since The Departed it feels like...

My thoughts as well, Veneratio.

Re: The Town - 10/25/10 04:38 AM

At least there seem to be quite a few in the pipeline...
Just not sure how long we have to wait!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET