Home

Seinfeld

Posted By: dontomasso

Seinfeld - 02/11/08 08:18 PM

I know there have been other threads on this, but what the hell.

My kids gave me the complete 9 years of the show on DVD for Christmas, and, sick person that I am, I have now watched every episode, along with the extras, a bonus disk ... the works.
The symmetry of this series as an ongoing narrative is probably the most brilliant television series of all time. The fact that the last line of the last episode is also the first line of the first episode is the best example of how well the arc of the story really makes it more than a set of random episodes.

Moreover, the whole concept of a show about "nothing," is a philosophical gold mine when you look at the episodes. Moreover the series captures the self absorbtion of the 90's better than any commentary I have seen.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Seinfeld - 02/11/08 08:20 PM

The greatest sitcom of all-time, according to TV Guide. I tend to agree.
Posted By: whisper

Re: Seinfeld - 02/11/08 08:31 PM

Brilliant show.Unchallenged.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Seinfeld - 02/11/08 09:27 PM

The other night I saw the episode where George, Jerry and Elaine are waiting for a table in a Chinese restaurant. Absolutely hilarious!
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Seinfeld - 02/11/08 09:39 PM

The episode that really got me hooked was the one where the four of them were walking through a parking garage, looking for their car. Kramer was lugging a tv and Elaine had a gold fish.

In the final scene they finally get to the car (sans goldfish), and the car won't start. Years later I learned that the scene was designed for them to drive away, but the car engine unexpectedly failed to turn over. You can actually see some of the actors laughing in the car when the car fails to start.
Posted By: chopper

Re: Seinfeld - 02/11/08 09:43 PM

I think i must be the only person in the world to say this but i just didnt find the show funny
Posted By: svsg

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 01:14 AM

I am with you Chopper, though I must have watched not more than 10 episodes.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 02:06 AM

absolutely the best sitcom ever

seems like I've seen every show a million times but it's just as good the million and 1st time.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: chopper
I think i must be the only person in the world to say this but i just didnt find the show funny

It was funny, but hardly the funniest ever. Certainly Cheers and Frasier compete for No.1. Also, Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 07:54 AM

Cheers and Frasier were by far funny programmes,i think there must be another hundred comedy shows i'd rate before seinfeld,but each to there own.
Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 08:46 AM

there must be another hundred comedy shows i'd rate before seinfeld,but each to there own.

One hundred?? Really.

You DON'T find it funny that George's mom caught him masturbating?

I bet your mom has caught you over a hundred times for sure, and that's what makes it funny - it's stuff that REALLY happens to people. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. ;\)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
there must be another hundred comedy shows i'd rate before seinfeld,but each to there own.

One hundred?? Really.

I bet your mom has caught you over a hundred times for sure, nd that's what makes it funny - it's stuff that REALLY happens to people. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. ;\)

What people get caught masturbating a hundred times off there mum

I dont rate the show, i dont find it funny,but as ive previously said EACH TO THERE OWN
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 11:46 AM

Their.

Seinfeld is great... but Curb Your Enthusiasm is greater!
Posted By: SC

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 11:47 AM

I bet your mom has caught you over a hundred times for sure, and that's what makes it funny -

My mother caught me masturbating once. She told me I shouldn't do that because I'd go blind. I told her I'd stop once I needed glasses.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Their.

You know what i mean ,i just dont get his post because i dont like seinfeld it means i cant laugh at myself and my mums caught me masterbating a hundred times \:o
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 01:36 PM

I didn't get into Seinfeld the first couple years. It's when I started watching the repeats that I began watching it. It's hilarious. The show about "nothing" is the perfect description and yet nothing can be so funny. One of my favorites.

TIS
Posted By: goombah

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 02:40 PM

I tend to agree. That's taking nothing away from Seinfeld. To me, both shows demonstrate the sheer brilliance of Larry David, the co-creator/writer. I think Seinfeld is one of the most influential shows in television history, but it's always debatable as to what was the best show of all-time. That is more of a personal preference thing. I think it ranks up with the best shows like Honeymooners, All in the Family, Cheers, MASH, I Love Lucy, Bob Newhart).

Off the top of my head, my Top 5 Seinfelds are (not in order):
1. The Marble Rye
2. The Chicken Roaster
3. The Opposite
4. Soup Nazi
5. The Hot Tub

Everyone who likes Seinfeld should check out Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season 6 was the most recent season on HBO and just came out on DVD. Larry, in real life, split with his wife. On the show this past season, his wife left under hilarious circumstances.

Rent it your local library or at Blockbuster. But like Seinfeld and the Sopranos, start with Season One. There are only 10 episodes per year. Some great Seinfeld cameos from Elaine, George, and some character actors who appeared in 1 or 2 Seinfelds (including Bookman the Library cop, the Wig Master, and the woman Jerry was making out with while watching "Schindler's List" ).

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
You can actually see some of the actors laughing in the car when the car fails to start.

In the bonus disk with all nine seasons, the four actors and Larry David say the hardest thing they had to do when filming the show was to keep from cracking up.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 03:51 PM

Cheers and Frasier were by far funny programmes,i think there must be another hundred comedy shows i'd rate before seinfeld,but each to there own.

You mean each to his or her own. Please name 90.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 03:57 PM

Jesus why is it every time i post something people have to jump on it spelling, his/her/cats/dogs whatever you know what i was getting at.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 04:03 PM

Jesus why is it every time i post something people have to jump on it spelling, his/her/cats/dogs whatever you know what i was getting at.

Cause you are the George Costanza of the boards.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 04:05 PM

No idea what your talking about so thats probably the seem reason why i dont get seinfeld \:\/
Posted By: ap_capone48101

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: goombah

I tend to agree. That's taking nothing away from Seinfeld. To me, both shows demonstrate the sheer brilliance of Larry David, the co-creator/writer. I think Seinfeld is one of the most influential shows in television history, but it's always debatable as to what was the best show of all-time. That is more of a personal preference thing. I think it ranks up with the best shows like Honeymooners, All in the Family, Cheers, MASH, I Love Lucy, Bob Newhart).

Off the top of my head, my Top 5 Seinfelds are (not in order):
1. The Marble Rye
2. The Chicken Roaster
3. The Opposite
4. Soup Nazi
5. The Hot Tub

Everyone who likes Seinfeld should check out Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season 6 was the most recent season on HBO and just came out on DVD. Larry, in real life, split with his wife. On the show this past season, his wife left under hilarious circumstances.

Rent it your local library or at Blockbuster. But like Seinfeld and the Sopranos, start with Season One. There are only 10 episodes per year. Some great Seinfeld cameos from Elaine, George, and some character actors who appeared in 1 or 2 Seinfelds (including Bookman the Library cop, the Wig Master, and the woman Jerry was making out with while watching "Schindler's List" ).
I agree that VYE is better also. And LD was pretty good, pretty pretty good \:p but Leon made this season hilarious.
Posted By: War_Time_Consigliere

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

It was funny, but hardly the funniest ever. Certainly Cheers and Frasier compete for No.1. Also, Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show

You can't even compare those shows to Seinfeld, they're mostly dead-pan humor. Seinfeld exists in it's own vacuum of comedy, it created it's own niche or milieu. There's no show other than Curb that is even comparable.

The way that Seinfeld's narrative has three or four story lines that SOMEHOW always come together in the end* is sheer genius. Those shows you mention (other than Frasier and maybe Lucy) are Neanderthal when compared to Seinfeld, and are hardly even viewable today. They're absolute trash.

*The episode where George pretends to be a marine biologist and has to save the whale's life is the greatest episode of television history. His recount of the tale back at the cafe to the others is priceless. He pulls out the golf ball and we learn that's what was hindering the whale's breathing, and the viewer of course immediately realizes that it's a Titleist, one of Kramer's. A hole in one!
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 09:33 PM

And im probley the only person in the world who has never saw the show. im more of a friends man.
Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 10:14 PM

One hundred?? Really.

I bet your mom has caught you over a hundred times for sure, nd that's what makes it funny - it's stuff that REALLY happens to people. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. ;\)

Fair enough, but what people can rate a hundred shows greater than Seinfeld? ;\)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
I bet your mom has caught you over a hundred times for sure, and that's what makes it funny -

My mother caught me masturbating once. She told me I shouldn't do that because I'd go blind. I told her I'd stop once I needed glasses.

Same thing happened to me. But the next day I was going at it again in the bathroom. My mother knocked on the door and asked "what are you doing in there?" I answered "Going blind!"

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 10:35 PM

One hundred?? Really.

Fair enough, but what people can rate a hundred shows greater than Seinfeld? ;\)

Ok so i exagerated

ill leave it at that
Posted By: whisper

Re: Seinfeld - 02/12/08 11:02 PM

Curb your enthusiasm is great also.But i find it different to Seinfeld because it's so much more crude.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 04:06 AM

My favorite Seinfeld line occurred just after the doctor informed the group that Susan had died when Kramer said, "Poor Lily."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 07:19 AM

Well, I dunno...the same people who rack up 7,000 posts a year on internet message boards??

RAWR

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 09:31 AM

WTF Has that got to do with you anyway?

Your just trying to piss me off now so ill go

Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: War_Time_Consigliere

Well, I dunno...the same people who rack up 7,000 posts a year on internet message boards??

RAWR

By making posts like this one? Maybe people should spend some more time masturbating instead of jerking people off here on the boards by making believe that they are someone that they really are not.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

RAWR

By making posts like this one? Maybe people should spend some more time masturbating instead of jerking people off here on the boards by making believe that they are someone that they really are not.

Consigliere...."no soup for you!"

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 05:50 PM

People, this is a thread about a television show. Save the whining and backbiting for the political threads.

My favorite Seinfeld line occurred just after the doctor informed the group that Susan had died when Kramer said, "Poor Lily."

Kramer did forget names throughout the history of the show. My favorite moment when he and Elaine were outside a doctor's office and Kramer was going to try to see her file by impersonating a doctor. He said to Elaine, "It's 'Bennett,' right?" referring to Elaine's last name. Mind you, the two had known each other for a long time. Her response was classic Elaine: "It's Benes, you jackasss."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 05:59 PM

RAWR

And just who the fuck are you?

No soup for you!

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:01 PM

Don't dignify them PB. They make George Costanza look like a nobel laureate.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:05 PM

Just when I thought I was out......

Let's all please stop the name-calling ;\)
And altho I'm also guilty of some nit-picking here and there ( ) let's ease up a little for now ;\)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Don't dignify them PB. They make George Costanza look like a nobel laureate.

Laureate: To signify eminence or association with literary or miltary glory.

Gotta even the playing field for the mentally challenged, Don T.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:20 PM

Just when I thought I was out......

Let's all please stop the name-calling ;\)
And altho I'm also guilty of some nit-picking here and there ( ) let's ease up a little for now ;\)

Ditto.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:28 PM

Another classic scene is where George didn't read Breakfast at Tiffany's for his book club, so he tracked down the family that rented it and watched it with them.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:30 PM

"I was in the pool! I was in the pool!"

The idea that your manhood might be judged as inadequate, er, small, will provoke panic in just about anyone, not just poor George.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 06:40 PM

Another classic scene is where George didn't read Breakfast at Tiffany's for his book club, so he tracked down the family that rented it and watched it with them.

I think this was just on last night. I was just flipping channels, and saw this. George knocked on the door, and a black man answered. He asked his daughter if George could watch the movie with them.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 07:17 PM

Kramer practicing ka-ra-te with little kids.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 07:40 PM

Your just trying to piss me off now so ill go

I was just joking with you, mate.

Perhaps comedy isn't your thing. \:p

(But yeah, since you don't even like the show, I would imagine that your time in this thread is over.)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:01 PM

(But yeah, since you don't even like the show I think your time in this thread is over.)

Keep it up and your time in this thread may also be over.

ENOUGH HERE ALREADY! And that goes for everyone involved!

If any of you can't move on then take it to a PM!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:08 PM

I can't wait to start watching this. I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Well than start a topic about Curb Your Enthusiasm, and when you start watching Seinfeld, you can give us your opinion of it. ;\)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:39 PM

Another bizarre story line that cracks me up is the one where Kramer turned his apartment into the set for the Merv Griffin Show.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:40 PM

RAWR

'Well if I'm not me then who AM I?' - Kramer to Kramer in "The Pilot(2)" episode
Posted By: 24framespersecond

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:47 PM

Considering the GF fans here, has anyone mentioned The Bris episode yet? The one with the pig-man, Mohel, circumcision, Jerry's Vito impression. The visual quote at the end?

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:54 PM

Has not been mentioned, but there are many other Godfather references in the series.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 08:57 PM

It's probably been mentioned here before, but Jerry's father was somewhat friendly with Carlo Gambino. They were once neighbors on Ocean Parkway. I think that's where Jerry's Godfather fixation probably comes from.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 09:08 PM

Has not been mentioned, but there are many other Godfather references in the series.

Yes. Another that comes to mind is an episode when Jerry says "In my home, Elaine, where I come to sleep and play with my toys"

An obvious reference to Michael's GFII rant to Pentangelli.

Also Kramer "Well, Fredo was weak and stupid! He shouldn't have eaten that key!"

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 09:17 PM

I saw a picture of his parent's somewhere once before and I couldn't believe how dark their complexions were - Jerry comes from a rather wealthy Jewish family.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/13/08 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
It's probably been mentioned here before, but Jerry's father was somewhat friendly with Carlo Gambino. They were once neighbors on Ocean Parkway. I think that's where Jerry's Godfather fixation probably comes from.

That's where Jerry was born. I believe that his parents were Syrian Jews who lived on Ocean Parkway, but they moved to Long Island when Jerry Sienfeld was still a young boy.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:09 AM

I think part of that stems from Larry David. He was really into the "Godfather" and does a great Vito Corleone impression. In fact, his impressions in general are very good, the most notable being George Steinbrenner's voice on Seinfeld.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:11 AM

I think part of that stems from Larry David. He was really into the "Godfather" and does a great Vito Corleone impression. In fact, his impressions in general are very good, the most notable being George Steinbrenner's voice on Seinfeld.

"Get better, George, get better!"

"Two words for you, George----Hot Tub."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:20 AM

Well than start a topic about Curb Your Enthusiasm, and when you start watching Seinfeld, you can give us your opinion of it. ;\)

Eh?

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:39 AM

Eh?

I assumed that you meant that you can't wait to start watching Seinfeld. So all I was saying is that when you finally do get to watch Seinfeld, you can let us know what you think of it.

As for Curb Your Enthusiasm, I just thought it a good idea that you start a new topic about it rather than take this one off topic.

Unless of course you meant something totally different with the "I can't wait to start watching this" sentence?

;\)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:52 AM

;\) ;\) ;\)

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:56 AM

;) ;\) ;\)

Ok. That's fine. But I sincerely suggest that you don't go there.
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 03:08 AM

Would it have made more sense to you Don Cardi if Capo had worded that sentence differently? "I love Curb Your Enthusiasm therefore I can't wait to watch Seinfeld."

Larry David was involved with both so the post was relevant to this topic. I don't see the need to get huffy...

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E

I think this was just on last night. I was just flipping channels, and saw this. George knocked on the door, and a black man answered. He asked his daughter if George could watch the movie with them.

That same black family was on the show in a later episode when George realized (I can't remember why) that he had no black friends so he was desperately trying to find one, including going back to that families house and asking to hang out with them.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
That same black family was on the show in a later episode when George realized (I can't remember why) that he had no black friends so he was desperately trying to find one, including going back to that families house and asking to hang out with them.

You are referring to when George made an innocent comment to a black co-worker, saying that he looked a lot like boxer Sugar Ray Leonard. To which the co-worker responded, "I bet we all look alike to you, Constanza." From there, George gets overly sensitive and then just basically is walking up to blacks on the street trying to make a friend.

Jerry had a great retort to George's dilemma. "You don't have any black friends. Outside of us, you don't have any white friends either."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 02:05 PM

The Breakfast At Tiffany's book club scene was hilarious because George made a reference to the movie what was completely different than the book.

The use of the same black family in the later episode one of many times the same characters would randomly appear in different episodes. Another one like that is the woman who goes braless, and who Seinfeld refers to as Elaine's Lex Luthor.
My favorite is the Johnny Cocharan like character who ends up getting a restraining order against Kramer.
Posted By: SC

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 02:48 PM

That's where Jerry was born. I believe that his parents were Syrian Jews who lived on Ocean Parkway, but they moved to Long Island when Jerry Sienfeld was still a young boy.

Larry David grew up in my co-op. He is four years older than me so I didn't know him well, but from what I remember of him as kid - he was just average (like most of us).

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 03:30 PM

The Breakfast At Tiffany's book club scene was hilarious because George made a reference to the movie what was completely different than the book.

The use of the same black family in the later episode one of many times the same characters would randomly appear in different episodes. Another one like that is the woman who goes braless, and who Seinfeld refers to as Elaine's Lex Luthor.
My favorite is the Johnny Cocharan like character who ends up getting a restraining order against Kramer.

My favorite Jackie Chiles moment was when he was in court with Kramer in the episode to which you are referring. Kramer insisted on the woman trying on the bra and it did not fit, in a perfect slap at the OJ trial. Jackie Chiles berates Kramer: "A bra's gotta fit up against a person's skin...like a glove!"

They also did a great OJ spoof of the slow-speed chase when Kramer was driving a guy accused of murdering a dry cleaner.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 04:34 PM

Speaking of bra's there is the episode where Kramer and Frank Costanza invent the bra for a man... They couldn't decide whether to call it the "manzier" or the "bro".

I'm with those who believe this is the greatest show of all time.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 05:08 PM

There is an alternate ending on the dvd to the Mayoral Election 1993 episode, where Dinkins defeats Giuliani. The actor who played Jackie (Phil Morris), plays a campaign advisor in it. He is the son of the late Greg morris from MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 05:58 PM

Wow, I did not know about the alternate ending PB. I guess they filmed for whatever the real election results were at the time.

It may be on the dvds, I'm not sure because I do not own them. But does anyone here remember the "Handicapped Spot" episode that originally aired where Jerry Stiller did NOT play George's father? In the original episode, the father was played by the actor who was Chevy Chase's father in "Christmas Vacation." All subsequent repeats had Jerry Stiller. Kind of like Mickey & Kramer as the "stand-ins" on All My Children. ;\)
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 06:01 PM

I like Phil Morris's Johnny Cochran character in the series finale. He tells Jerry on the phone there's no law against helping people, you don't have to help anyone if you don't feel like it. That cracks me up.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 06:03 PM

Yes, Goombah, that's also on the dvd extras.

You really have to get them because, like me, you're obviously such a big fan.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 07:22 PM

I rec'd the 1st two seasons as a gift, Pizzaboy, but I never seriously considered the purchase for the mere fact that I've seen each one about 20 times on reruns. But there are obviously omitted scenes on the reruns that the dvd includes, plus some other bonuses. One omission that comes to mind is the the one where Jerry gets the haircut from Enzo. At the end, Jerry shaves Newman bald, but they never show that in the reruns. I just remember laughing so hard when it was in first-run.

My two favorite Newman moments were:

1. When Newman was driving the mailtruck and Kramer spilled the paint thinner on the road. Something creates a spark underneath Newman's truck while he is singing "Three Times a Lady." As he starts to burn, he screams "oh the humanity..." \:D

2. When Newman is confronted in a lie by Jerry about Newman's supposed love of broccoli. When forced to bite the vegetable, Newman spits it out and cries "vile weed."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/14/08 07:30 PM

Two classics, Goombah. And no matter how many times I hear it, I always laugh at the way Jerry says "Hello Newman," as well as how ballistic Newman goes whenever someone denigrates the mail system.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 03:54 AM

Two classics, Goombah. And no matter how many times I hear it, I always laugh at the way Jerry says "Hello Newman," as well as how ballistic Newman goes whenever someone denigrates the mail system.

Newman is the second funniest mailman on tv, behind Cliff Klaven.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 03:56 AM

By the way, my favorite secondary character of the series has to be Peterman.

"Come, George. We dine."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 04:22 PM

I agree!

Cliff was one of the all-time supporting cast members. He and Norm are two of my favorite tv characters ever.

Norm runs into the bar.

Cliff: "What's shakin' Nohm-ee?"

Norm: "All four cheeks and a couple of chins."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 04:24 PM

There are so many good secondary characters on this show: Puddy, Morty, Frank, Newman, and Uncle Leo, to name but a few.

I saw the one last night where George was using Jerry's sex "move" on a girlfriend. He wrote the procedures on his hand and was caught afterward by the girlfriend. One of George's best retorts (IMO): "It's not the SATs!"

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 04:27 PM

Frank Costanza: "Uuunh, I stopped short. That's my MOVE!"

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 05:07 PM

One of the great secondary characters is Elaine's co-worker at Peterman who is a germophobe who wont go near her because she thinks Elaine sleeps with too many men.

Another classic Peterman episode (and yet another of several references to FFC in the series) is the scene in Burma where Elaine tracks down a deranged Peterman who mimics the lines of Brando in Apocolypse Now... "are you an assassin? you are an errand girl, sent by grocery clerks to deliver a bill" and, when he sees what she has done to his catalog and he exclaims "The horror.....the horror"

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 05:11 PM

There are so many good secondary characters on this show: Puddy, Morty, Frank, Newman, and Uncle Leo, to name but a few.

A secondary character I really liked was George's boss Kruger. I love how he cared less about his job than George did. "Oh, damn. I've locked myself out of my office again. Oh well. I'm going home."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 05:15 PM

Kruger was great... always saying they were going broke and that he didn't care. My favorite Kruger episode was the one where George wanted to get the nickname "T-Bone," but instad they started calling him "koko" after the monkey.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 05:17 PM

yeah, and then in another episode he went to George's house for Festivus.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 05:20 PM

Right... I forgot about that... Festivus for the Rest of us. I love the whole ritual....the airing of family grievances, the strength contest, the aluminum pole, and most especially George's reaction to it.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/15/08 05:21 PM

Right... I forgot about that... Festivus for the Rest of us. I love the whole ritual....the airing of family grievances, the strength contest, the aluminum pole, and most especially George's reaction to it.

I got a lot of problems with you people!

Re: Seinfeld - 02/17/08 01:15 PM

Some of my favorite lines from Frank are from the "Festivus" episode:

"As I reined blows down upon him, I knew there had to be a better way. From that incident, a new holiday was born: a Festivus for the rest of us."

"My son tells me your company stinks. You couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe...I lost my train of thought."

"I find tinsel distracting."

One of my favorite Newman moments were when he & Kramer decided to sell used records. They went into the store and the guy only wanted to give them $5 for their records, which was far lower than what they expected. Newman kept repeating Kramer's disparaging remarkes back to the record store owner in response to the low-ball offer:

"You emit a foul & unpleasant odor."
"You are a piece of crap."
"I find you extremely ugly."

Re: Seinfeld - 02/17/08 06:29 PM

Funniest one time guest?

Bookman---the library "cop."

"Pee pees and wee wees"

"Well, let me tell you something funny boy."

That guy took a Jack Webb parody to another dimension!

Re: Seinfeld - 02/17/08 07:19 PM

Funniest one time guest?

Bookman---the library "cop."

Yep, Bookman was awesome. I also thought the guy who played the mohel was hilarious, the woman who screamed at Jerry during the babyshower Elaine held in Jerry's apartment, Sid Fields, Judge Reinhold's close-talker, Ramon the pool guy, and Rebecca de Morney from Brentanno's ("You get that toilet book outta here and I won't jump over the counter and punch you in the brain.") were all outstanding as well.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/17/08 08:13 PM

An episode I don't see frequently is the Pig-Man.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/20/08 06:07 PM

I just recently saw it for the first time in awhile. George: "He's not a pigman, is he?" Kramer:"No he's just a fat little mental patient."

The one I never see on reruns is the "Puerto Rican Day Parade." Not the funniest one, by a long shot, but it was the second-to-last episode and had some funny moments.

Re: Seinfeld - 02/21/08 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ap_capone48101
[/quote]I agree that CYE is better also. And LD was pretty good, pretty pretty good \:p but Leon made this season hilarious.

This gives a great flavor of Leon from Season 6 of CYE.

The Best of Leon

Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Seinfeld - 02/24/08 04:21 AM

John Ratzenberger (Cliff) had a tiny role in "Gandhi." I always laugh when I see him, although it is not a particularly funny movie overall.
Posted By: Partagas

Re: Seinfeld - 02/24/08 12:38 PM

That episode was on last night -- TBS I believe

Re: Seinfeld - 02/24/08 02:08 PM

Wayne Knight has been a secondary actor in a variety of things beyond Seinfeld. He had a role in the infamous Sharon Stone scene in Basic Instinct, he was one of the investigators on Jim Garrison's team in JFK, and he turned into a dinosaur's meal in Jurassic Park. All three were big hits at the box office.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/05/08 11:36 PM

Jon Lovitz did a hysterical turn as Gary Fogel, the guy who faked cancer for a free wig.

Gary: "Hey, George, you decided to get a rug. Good for you, JACK!"

Re: Seinfeld - 03/07/08 03:43 PM

I saw an episode last night when Kramer befriended the three Japanese tourists and had them sleeping in the drawers of a large piece of furniture.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/07/08 03:44 PM

Classic, Klyd!

When Kramer is "tucking them in" to their drawers, I almost became incontinent.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/07/08 09:06 PM

Classic, Klyd!

When Kramer is "tucking them in" to their drawers, I almost became incontinent.

That was a classic moment. I also got a kick out of Kramer relaxing in the hot tub with the three guys, all wearing cowboy hats, and splashing George.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/11/08 04:37 PM

My favorite moment from the above episode is when George calls Jerry in a panic, complaining that the Japanese guys had sake in the hot tub and were late for a meeting with George & Japanese tv execs.

Jerry's response: "Who is this?"

George reacts by banging the phone and screaming at Jerry.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/15/08 05:17 PM

Did you ever notice----that for a short, stocky, slow-witted bald man, George had mostly beautiful girlfriends on the show?

And Jerry? What a picky S.O.B.!

That girl that ate her peas one at a time? DEAR GOD man, are you insane?

And Kristin Davis? She could drop her toothbrush in a pile of poop. There's no way I'm giving that up.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/16/08 06:39 PM

Rusty!!

Re: Seinfeld - 03/16/08 06:46 PM

Did you ever notice----that for a short, stocky, slow-witted bald man, George had mostly beautiful girlfriends on the show?

And Jerry? What a picky S.O.B.!

That girl that ate her peas one at a time? DEAR GOD man, are you insane?

And Kristin Davis? She could drop her toothbrush in a pile of poop. There's no way I'm giving that up.

George completely overachieved. He should have gotten women no more attractive than that skanky cousin who wanted to date him!

Jerry was no great looking guy either. I thought Kristen Davis was stunning, as were the following:

1. Nicky, the girl who could talk any man into or out of anything (she got out of the speeding ticket and she "won" the nonsensical bet with Todd Gak).

2. Mulva - oo la la

3. Teri Hatcher. Say no more. The were, and continue to be, spectacular.

4. The woman who claimed to have gotten gonnorehea from a tractor

5. The woman who Jerry got her phone number off the AIDS walk list. "Don't the bums get tired of soup?"

Re: Seinfeld - 03/16/08 06:56 PM

And don't forget Kramer.

He was the oldest one on the show, yet continually dated women in their 20's.

Then again, he had the Kavorka.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/16/08 06:56 PM

I think the funniest was the woman with giant hands.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/16/08 06:58 PM

I think the funniest was the woman with giant hands.

There's a beach towel on the rack.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Seinfeld - 03/17/08 01:40 PM

And don't forget Kramer.

and don't forget Kramer as "The Ass Man".

Re: Seinfeld - 03/17/08 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
And don't forget Kramer.

and don't forget Kramer as "The Ass Man".

"You got that straight!"

Re: Seinfeld - 03/17/08 04:47 PM

Kramer always had some real weirdos, mostly never seen. My favorite was Sister Roberta in "The Conversion" episode.

"My new surgery is already working. Kramer made a pass at me. He stopped short and made a grab."

Re: Seinfeld - 03/17/08 04:50 PM

"That's my move!"

"Unh, I stopped short!"

Re: Seinfeld - 03/28/08 08:57 PM

One of my all-time favorites was on last night: "The Chicken Roaster." Filled with so many classic scenes:

1) Kramer eating the chicken in Jerry's bed, wiping his mouth with Jerry's sheets

2) Newman spitting out the broccoli and crying out "vile weed!"

3) Kramer's apartment turning red from the Kenny Rogers chicken sign. Kramer & Jerry switching apartments as a result. "If Jerry finds out I'm hooked on Rogers chicken, I'm back in there with the Red Menace."

4) "Your friend Seth stopped by."
"Oh yeah, what did he have to say?"
"Oh he was fired."

Re: Seinfeld - 03/29/08 03:39 AM

One of my all-time favorites was on last night: "The Chicken Roaster."

I absolutely loathe a great majority of the post-Larry David episodes of Seinfeld, and "The Chicken Roaster" is one of them. It's funny, yes, but it's NOT the same brand of humor that the show is known for in it's first five or so seasons. Although, I must admit that the episode DID show some very interesting hints of creativity -- most notably when Jerry and Kramer switch apartments/personalities; and Kramer's whole boycott of Kenny Rodgers Roasters was pretty funny, too. So... I'd actually have to say that the episode was at the very least an original work, I'll give it that. But God, I simply couldn't stand watching the later years of this damn show.

You also mentioned the episode where the Japanese guys sleep in Kramer's chest-of-drawers; again, horrendous in my opinion. Although, again, it had it's moments -- such as the 'potty-mouth' executives from the Houston Astros. Those scenes had me cracking up, but on a very superficial and shallow level. It was NOT on par with the level of humor that helped establish the show as such a unique and original work of art..

Re: Seinfeld - 03/29/08 03:41 AM

"That's my move!"

"Unh, I stopped short!"

THANK YOU! YES! THAT is one of the best moments in Seinfeld HISTORY!!!

"Unh, I stop short!"

Re: Seinfeld - 03/30/08 01:03 PM

I do not disagree that the show's writing was not as good post-Larry David. However, I disagree that all the episodes were bad. The "Chicken Roaster" was brilliant - all the storylines were hilarious. But I agree that most of the post-LD stories were so absurd that it somewhat took away from what they started.

To me, it just proves that Jerry Seinfeld saw this too and is why he ended the show, rather than continuing to take NBC's money and producing sub-standard episodes and being a parody of himself. The show went as far as it could and would have overstayed its welcome, despite receiving high viewer ratings.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/30/08 01:44 PM

I agree, "The Chicken Roaster" was brilliant. I also thought "The Puerto Rican Day Parade" was brilliant; as well as the episode where the script runs backwards.

However, I didn't find any of them particularly funny.

Re: Seinfeld - 04/16/08 01:28 PM

I never fully considered how different the post-Larry David episodes were until War Time Consigliere brought it up and I saw these episodes again. Last night, the storylines were where Kramer tried to stop having his mail delivered and George was dating his cousin. I see WTC's point - they were absurd plots.

However, I always laugh, whenever I see Fragile Frankie knock on George's window saying "Seinfeld's van" and George mistakes it for "Son of Sam." George runs out the van shouting "I knew it wasn't Berkowitz!"

Re: Seinfeld - 04/16/08 02:19 PM

Hey Goombah, "if this van's a rockin', don't come a knockin'.

Re: Seinfeld - 04/16/08 05:52 PM

I have to do a better job filtering what my 4 year old watches. She likes "Seinfeld," but she asked if she could tell her 2 1/2 year old brother "Hoochie Mama" after hearing Frank mutter the phrase last night.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Seinfeld - 04/19/08 06:05 AM

"I'M COSMO KRAMER, THE ASS MAN!"
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Seinfeld - 06/26/11 03:20 AM

lol

Re: Seinfeld - 07/27/11 11:58 AM

Hey Pizzaboy! I was trying to send you a PM to see how you liked this season's CYE. But your PM message box is full. So whaddaya think so far? I love Funkhouser as a devout Jew from the last episode.
Posted By: carmela

Re: Seinfeld - 10/14/11 08:36 PM

These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: Seinfeld - 10/22/11 11:49 PM

Hey Pizzaboy! I was trying to send you a PM to see how you liked this season's CYE. But your PM message box is full. So whaddaya think so far? I love Funkhouser as a devout Jew from the last episode.

good topic!

I asbolutely loved the last season of Curb. the episode you mention ("Palestinian Chicken") is up to Seinfeld standards. by the way I was recently watching Seinfeld's "The Masseuse" and I found very funny that two topis of that episode were revisited by Larry David on Curb:

1. George becomes attracted to a woman just because she doesn't like him, just like Larry and Shara the palestinian chick;

2. Elaine is discussing new names for her boyfriend Joel Rifkin and vetos Alex because she had a classmate named like that who used to make an annoying "aahhhhh" after every dip of his coffee.

Re: Seinfeld - 10/22/11 11:55 PM

One of my all-time favorites was on last night: "The Chicken Roaster."

I absolutely loathe a great majority of the post-Larry David episodes of Seinfeld, and "The Chicken Roaster" is one of them. It's funny, yes, but it's NOT the same brand of humor that the show is known for in it's first five or so seasons. Although, I must admit that the episode DID show some very interesting hints of creativity -- most notably when Jerry and Kramer switch apartments/personalities; and Kramer's whole boycott of Kenny Rodgers Roasters was pretty funny, too. So... I'd actually have to say that the episode was at the very least an original work, I'll give it that. But God, I simply couldn't stand watching the later years of this damn show.

obviously there is a point there but I hardly disagree with the generalisation that Seinfeld simply declined after the 7th Season. first, it deliberately changed its style a little bit in an effort to fresh things up - salute to that!

second, by a quick glance at the episode list I just don't agree that it declined that much. the writing is not all-time best after Larry David left but the chemistry among the characters allowed them to rely more on gags than genius screenplays.

even though they would never be as brilliant as Season Four ever again there are a lot of memorable moments all the way until the end of the last season. the storylines just became more bizarre and character-centered.

Re: Seinfeld - 10/23/11 03:44 AM

I agree Tony. Many series start to at least prepare to jump the shark if not actually jump it relatively early in their runs. I thought Kramer led the way in that regard.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Seinfeld - 10/23/11 09:33 PM

I'm the biggest Seinfeld fan in the world but the show definitely started to go off the tracks after the original writers - Larry David, Larry Charles, Peter Mehlman, etc. had less of a hand in things. The style of humor totally changed, as did the way the actors portrayed their characters. They became over the top impressions of themselves. Jerry sort of just sleep walked through it all. Elaine went from at least likeable to sort of a bitch. George went from whining and neurotic to just yelling all the time. And Kramer went from a certain subtle cluelessness to just being a spaz. The later seasons had their moments here and there but, generally speaking, stick with the first 5 seasons.

And by the way, you'll notice the exact same thing happened to The Simpsons.

Re: Seinfeld - 10/24/11 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
The later seasons had their moments here and there but, generally speaking, stick with the first 5 seasons.

I thought that Season 7 (LD's last season) was a renaissance year for the show. From George's engagement, right up until Susan's death, I thought they hit it out of the park with almost every episode that year (The Rye, The Soup Nazi, The Cadillac, etc.).

I agree that the characters became a parody of themselves in the last two seasons, BUT it was still better than 90% of the sitcoms on television at that time.

Re: Seinfeld - 10/24/11 08:26 PM

yes they were paroding themselves by the end but I'd say it was still much better than 99% of the sitcoms on television at any time. not as brilliant as it had been but it was still very good even if it was only based on gags.

the Seventh Season is my second favorite by the way and I'll give you that the last two seasons are sub-par but there are good episodes all the way to the end. one of the very very last, "The Frogger" is really funny IMO.

Re: Seinfeld - 10/25/11 05:38 PM

It is tough for any series to go as long as Seinfeld did, and I also agree there was some drop off in the later seasons, but not as great as some are suggesting here. Certainly it never "jumped the shark."
Posted By: AlexDen

Re: Seinfeld - 02/26/12 08:20 AM

I love this show. I have watched all the episodes of this show and all the episodes of this show are mind blowing.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Seinfeld - 03/15/12 09:16 PM

One of my favorite episodes is when Jerry is doing the "Hellooo! La la la!" voice and his annoyed girlfriend tells him to make a choice... stop doing the voice or stop doing me! I'm glad Kramer drops the big rubber bladder of oil on her from Jerry's apartment window! Ha! "Hellooo! La la la!" Great stuff!

Re: Seinfeld - 03/27/12 01:41 AM

uuuh I am defending the latter seasons just above but the last time I ran thru the series I could barely watch the 8th and 9th seasons and "The Voice" is the worst episode of the series along with "The Butter Shave" IMO.

the Third Season is the biggest grower of them all and it's leapfrogging the ranks for me. other than "The Dog" which completes the Top 3 of my worst Seinfeld episodes.

Re: Seinfeld - 03/27/12 10:59 PM

I'm the biggest Seinfeld fan in the world but it did start to lose it's way after Larry David moved on. The show, as well as the four main characters, became a parody of itself. It still had it's moments later on but I'd stick with the first 5 seasons. Kind of like I suggest sticking with the first 7 or 8 seasons of The Simpsons.

Re: Seinfeld - 04/18/12 04:58 PM

Hurry up and watch this before it gets taken off Youtube. It's Jerry Seinfeld's 1981 HBO debut. He was all of 27 years old. Pay attention to the Smothers Brothers introduction. They were funny even when they weren't trying to be funny.

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Seinfeld - 04/18/12 08:22 PM

I wish I could of seen more of Newman he was my fave character.

Re: Seinfeld - 04/30/12 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony Mosrite

good topic!

I asbolutely loved the last season of Curb. the episode you mention ("Palestinian Chicken") is up to Seinfeld standards. by the way I was recently watching Seinfeld's "The Masseuse" and I found very funny that two topis of that episode were revisited by Larry David on Curb:

1. George becomes attracted to a woman just because she doesn't like him, just like Larry and Shara the palestinian chick;

2. Elaine is discussing new names for her boyfriend Joel Rifkin and vetos Alex because she had a classmate named like that who used to make an annoying "aahhhhh" after every dip of his coffee.

Yes that was one of the minor themes from the most recent season of Curb - LD borrowing from himself some of the Seinfeld subtleties. Although LD's previous season with the Seinfeld reunion was difficult to top. I thought the most recent season had some good moments, but there was a spell in the middle that were not up to standard. However, the last two episodes with Bill Buckner and then Michael J. Fox were classics. But not enough Leon, Richard Lewis, and Funkhouser for the majority of the season.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Seinfeld - 06/01/12 04:35 PM

The other night I watched an episode that had three major storylines: Fusilli Jerry, the Assman, and the Swirl. I was laughing out loud watching TV by myself.

Re: Seinfeld - 06/07/12 02:27 AM

When talking about the main people involved with Seinfeld, you'd think Larry David or Jerry Seinfeld would be the richest, huh? After all, each of them are worth about $800 million.

But check this out... whistle

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/julia-louis-dreyfus-net-worth/

Re: Seinfeld - 06/07/12 05:04 PM

Yeah, I already knew that about Julia. She's an heir to the Dreyfus fortune.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Seinfeld - 06/07/12 07:03 PM

I thought it was because she was on her third successful show, two of which are constantly aired in syndication. I figured she was set for life with residuals.
Posted By: PP

Re: Seinfeld - 06/08/12 05:42 AM

Yeah, Julia's parents were loaded.

I don't get all the hate for later season's of Seinfeld. I know LD left but they were great. Characters change. Can't have the same characters for 9 seasons.

Good point about the Simpsons. Seasons 3-6 may be comedy perfection. Those may have been the greatest writers rooms ever.
Posted By: JonahPerelman

Re: Seinfeld - 06/08/12 02:10 PM

The Louis Dreyfus family... Lots and lots and lots of French money there.

Re: Seinfeld - 06/09/12 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: PP

I don't get all the hate for later season's of Seinfeld. I know LD left but they were great. Characters change. Can't have the same characters for 9 seasons.

It wasn't just the individual characters that changed. The whole "feel" of the show changed. In the later years, it still had it's moments but it wasn't the same kind of humor that made it so popular in the first place. And the same thing could be said about The Simpsons now.
Posted By: PP

Re: Seinfeld - 06/09/12 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: PP

It wasn't just the individual characters that changed. The whole "feel" of the show changed. In the later years, it still had it's moments but it wasn't the same kind of humor that made it so popular in the first place. And the same thing could be said about The Simpsons now.

I understand, LD even has said the show changed and that's why he left, but I still find it strange that people complain about it. Maybe because I was to young to start watching Seinfeld when it first aired and I only started watching it when I was around 18, in 1999/2000.

I agree, about the Simpsons. It has gone down hill. Alot of people argue that the true Simpsons, should only be considered the first ten seasons and anything after that is not the true show.

It has dropped of in quality, imo, but they also lost an insane number of great writers from those first years.

Re: Seinfeld - 06/09/12 03:18 AM

I wouldn't even go 10 seasons with The Simpsons. The first 7, maybe 8.

As for Seinfeld, if you watch the first few seasons and compare it to the last few seasons you can see a distinct difference in the type of humor. The earlier seasons had more clever, subtle humor, while the later seasons were more slapstick and over the top.
Posted By: JoseWarner

Re: Seinfeld - 06/22/12 09:59 PM

I have not watched a single episode of this show. But i heard about this show. This show is going very good.

Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Seinfeld - 11/03/12 07:44 AM

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET