Home

Vampire Movies

Posted By: Don Cardi

Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 05:35 PM

Over in the 30 days of nights topic the discussion seemed to turn towards Vampire movies in general. So I thought that I would start a seperate topic to discuss Vampire movies.

What Vampire movies have you seen that you've enjoyed and would recommend to others?

Nosferatu (1922)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (FFC)
The Lost Boys
Salem's Lot
Universal's Dracula
John Carpenter's Vampires
Dracula (1979 Frank Langella)
Interview With The Vampire
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 05:47 PM

-NOSFERATU
-BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA
-DRACULA (1932)
-THE LOST BOYS
-INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE
-BLADE
-BLADE II
-BLADE: TRINITY
-INNOCENT BLOOD
-BUFFY, THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
-FROM DUSK 'TILL DAWN
-FROM DUSK 'TILL DAWN 3: THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER
-VAMPIROS LESBOS
-UNDERWORLD
-UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 05:50 PM

As posted in the "franchise" thread:
1. Nosferatu (silent)
2. Bram Stoker's Dracula
3. Dracula (Lugosi)
4. Dracula (Palance)
5. Dracula (Langella)

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 06:01 PM

Here is one that I remember from the 1970's that was shown on PBS (Channel 13 in my area) that was absolutely superb. I couldn't remember who was in it for the life of me and then the name Louis Jordan popped into my head.

COUNT DRACULA (BBC Mini-Series) (1977)

Starring: Louis Jourdan

An excellent Dracula movie!

Posted By: Mignon

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 06:10 PM

I hear there is going to be A Lost Boys sequal next year.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 06:13 PM

I think I saw the Louis Jourdan Drac in the Seventies. He didn't strike me as a convincing Drac--he was too suave, not menacing enough.

I hear that Israeli TV is putting on a series about a Jewish vampire--"Dreck-ula." You can't scare him off with a crucifix. ;\)

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I think I saw the Louis Jourdan Drac in the Seventies. He didn't strike me as a convincing Drac--he was too suave, not menacing enough.

His suaveness is what I liked!

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 06:25 PM

Posted By: klydon1

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

I hear that Israeli TV is putting on a series about a Jewish vampire--"Dreck-ula." You can't scare him off with a crucifix. ;\)

Garlic doesn't save your butt either, but if you can grab hold of a pork roast, you might have a fighting chance. ;\)
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

I hope not..

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

I hope not..

Why, you really don't care for Vampire film anyway. \:p ;\)
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:10 PM

I like Lost Boys, i feel the film doesn't need a sequel and will spoil the first one if this is made..

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:14 PM

I hope not..

I like Lost Boys, i feel the film doesn't need a sequel and will spoil the first one if this is made..

I agree. Unfortunately :

LOST BOYS SEQUEL WILL HIT THE BIG SCREEN

The sequel to LOST BOYS will make it to the big screen after all, despite being originally planned to head direct to video - according to the film's co-star TOM SAVINI. The special effects wizard and actor insists the filmmakers have changed their mind over the future of Lost Boys 2 : The Tribe after the movie's leads Corey Haim and Corey Feldman have proved a success on their new reality show The Two Coreys. He says, "Originally it was going to be direct to video, but because of the success of their reality show, The Tribe is going to go theatrical." The child star duo will team up with Kiefer Sutherland's half-brother Angus for the sequel to the cult 1987 movie.

20/08/2007 07:41 - Contact Music

Posted By: SC

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:17 PM

If a vampire movie is really bad, would you say it sucks??
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

That's just awful.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 08:20 PM

I guess you could say that. But it all depends on the critic. ;\)
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/02/07 11:08 PM

I love Vampire movies but admit I don't remember many titles of the older ones. I liked Bela Lugosi, but wasn't there another actor in later years that played the Count?? I can't think of his name. Peter Cushing maybe??

Anyway, I am a big fan of Lost Boys but as far as John Carpenter's "Vampires", I'm kind of confused because I think there were two. I saw one with James Woods and didn't care for that one. \:\/

Speaking of Vamps though, and on an entertaining and more lightweight level, has anyone caught the new tv show, Moonlight? I've seen three episodes but am really liking it so far. It's a very different take on vampires, but there seems to be good chemistry between the two main stars and so far, I've liked the few storylines. It's on tonight right after Ghost Whisperer. I'm looking forward to it. Watch though, because I like it, it'll get cancelled. \:\/

I never saw Nosferatu, but may have to check it out after reading many of you guys reviews of it both now and in past threads.

TIS

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/03/07 12:19 AM

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/03/07 02:13 AM

For a vampire movie to be good, it has to be a plot that you can really sink your teeth into. \:p

TIS

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/03/07 02:36 AM

Good one TIS.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/03/07 02:54 AM

You know, I really don't care for vampire movies. But, eerily enough, I am writing a novel that includes a vampire and dhamphires. I have a friend whose into vampire literature big time, so she advises me. But I am partial to the Bela Lugosi's portrayals. "I vant to bite your neck."
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/03/07 03:20 AM

The Blade series is the really the only vampire movies I've seen. As I read through all the movies listed here I can't figure out why I haven't seen any of them. I need to start watching some vampire movies.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/05/07 09:52 PM

I remember a made for tv movie in the early 70s called the Norliss Tapes. It was a good vampire film, but I can't remember the plot other than a reporter coming across audio tapes of a missing writer, dealing with his experiences with vampires. I was only about 10 when I saw the movie, so maybe I'm making more out of it, but it was certainly suspenseful.
Posted By: Toni_corleone

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/05/07 10:30 PM

1.Interview with the Vampire (my favorite vampire movie ever)
2.Bram Stoker's Dracula (FFC)
3.Dracula (1979 with Langella)
4.The Lost Boys
5.Buffy the Vampire Slayer (only because its funny lol although I liked the show alot more)

Now I am going to list the worst vamp movies I've ever seen.

1.Queen of the Damned (does not live up to the novel it was based off of and was not a good sequel to Interview with the Vampire)
2.John Carpenter's Vampires
3.John Carpenter's Vampires 2 (I forgot the actual title lol)
4.From Dusk till Dawn 2
5.Dracula 3000

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/05/07 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Toni_corleone

Toni, did you read any of the Books?

I totally agree with you about Queen Of The Damned. A horrible movie. Not anywhere even close to the book.

I do wish that they would make LESTAT into a movie as I think it was the best one out of the Vampire Chronicles.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/06/07 01:26 AM

Another good one was "Dracula's Daughter," with Gloria Holden in the title role. Subdued, moody and well acted.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/06/07 03:15 PM

Herzog's Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht (1979) merits a mention; I'd put it on par with Murnau's, at least after several viewings - it's thematically quite different, and quite easily dismissed as a misunderstood remake, but no, Herzog makes it his own, and Kinski's both sympathetic and terrifying, more like a pathetic, heart-broken rat than a monster.

Fans of Nosferatu might enjoy Elias Merhige's Shadow of the Vampire (1999), a re-working of the original's themes by means of making it a meta-narrative (film-within-a-film) - John Malkovich plays Murnau, Willem Dafoe plays Max Shreck, a local vampire who agrees to work for Murnau, but only at night. It's a clever reconstruction of the first while exploring the predatory violence of the medium itself - filming someone is essentially filming them die.

As a more deviant in the genre, I'd recommend Clair Denis's Trouble Every Day (2001), starring Beatrice Dalle and Vincent Gallo. It's not a vampire movie per se, but has been dubbed so by many critics, including Denis herself. It's one of the most horrific and convincing explorations of "erotic desire as violence" I've ever seen. A dark, haunting, artsy gothic horror.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/06/07 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Fans of Nosferatu might enjoy Elias Merhige's Shadow of the Vampire (1999), a re-working of the original's themes by means of making it a meta-narrative (film-within-a-film) - John Malkovich plays Murnau, Willem Dafoe plays Max Shreck, a local vampire who agrees to work for Murnau, but only at night. It's a clever reconstruction of the first while exploring the predatory violence of the medium itself - filming someone is essentially filming them die.

Yes, this was an excellent movie with an intriguing premise:
The vampire plays an actor who's playing a vampire--and the director knows it. Standout performances by Malkovich and Dafoe.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/07/07 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Toni, did you read any of the Books?

I totally agree with you about Queen Of The Damned. A horrible movie. Not anywhere even close to the book.

I do wish that they would make LESTAT into a movie as I think it was the best one out of the Vampire Chronicles.

Yes I've read all Anne Rice's vampire books up to Blackwood Farm (which I'm currently reading) I'd have to say The Vampire Lestat is my favorite and I was so mad they skipped over it. lol I actually sent an email to Anne Rice and she told me how she agreed that Queen of the Damned was horrible and that her fans didn't deserve it. She also talked about how she tried to get them to let her write a screenplay for Lestat but they wouldn't let her.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/07/07 01:02 AM

LOVE AT FIRST BITE

Loved it. George Hamilton's best role...after GODFATHER III, that is.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/07/07 02:53 AM

Time for me to jump into the fray.

I've collected vampire movies for years; they are pretty near my favorite horror genre. (Also, in my skinnier days, I was known for years for dressing up as Dracula around Halloween time.)

Here are just some of the ones that stand out in my mind, in no particular order. A few of my favorites:

Nosferatu (1922)

Dracula (1931 - Bela Lugosi)

Dracula's Daughter (1936 - Gloria Holden) An underrated gem, IMO.

Dracula (USA: Horror of Dracula - 1958 - Christopher Lee) One of the best ever. Period. (TIS, I think this is the actor you were thinking of.)

El Conde Dracula (USA: Count Dracula - 1970 - Christopher Lee) Not part of the Hammer Films series. It had potential, but oh, what they could have done if they only had more than a $20 budget.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (AKA: Dance of the Vampires - 1967) Roman Polanski's film should be seen in its uncut, European release version, if at all possible.

The Night Stalker The original telemovie was great. The series that came after, was, well...let's just say the premise wore a bit thin.

Vampyr (1932) Carl Dreyer's film is, for me, sort of an acquired taste. If you don't like films like this, you won't like this film. One of the problems is that there are no really high quality prints of the film extant.

The Brides of Dracula (1959) An underrated semi-sequel to Horror of Dracula that should be shown more often.

Kiss of the Vampire (1963) A stand-alone gem by Hammer Films. After many years of being only available in the US in a butchered/mutilated version, I understand it has finally been restored.

Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) Begun as a low-budget nudie, the producers had a change of heart and it was released as a straight horror film. Very low-budget, but quite effective in its way.

Fright Night (1985) For some reason, this one seems to be all but forgotten these days. Worth seeing for Roddy McDowall, Chris Sarandon, among others.

Innocent Blood What a film! A vampire/Mob movie with more than its share of comedic moments. Directed by John Landis, starring the gorgeous Anne Parillaud, with Robert Loggia as an Undead Don and Don Rickles (as his Bruce Cutler-esque lawyer) thrown in for good measure. Ya gotta see this one!

I'm sure I'll post some more when I check the Vitelli Archives. I will say, though, that I pretty much hated two of the more popular films already mentioned:

Dracula (1979 - Langella)

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The reasons? Well, basically, my reasons were similar: The leading actors, in both cases, were absolutely not what I thought Count Dracula should look like. I thought Langella's "sexy vampire" and Oldman's long-haired something-or-other (with those ridiculous eyeglasses) were miles away from what Stoker wrote and were totally unbelievable. Also, and possibly worst of all, the writing in these films veered so far awar from the novel (at times) that I just had to shake my head in disgust and wonder "What were these people thinking?"

Anyway, I'll probably get back to this thread a little later.

Time to scour the countryside for fresh victims.

Signor V.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/07/07 04:01 PM

I personally welcomed the change in Langella's Dracula. In his portrayal of the count as a suave and good looking, seductive type of gentleman.

Regardless of if you liked that version of the count or not, overall you have to admit that the movie itself was done in such superb, gothic fashion. The asylum scenes were dark and dreary, as were the crypt scenes when Van Helsing is looking for his daughter's body...a pretty frightening and goulish scene.

And you have to admit that the scene where Langella initially seduces and makes love to Kate Nelligan is one that was quite good and done in a fashion that you've never seen in any previous Dracula /Vampire movie made.

I find it a bit amusing that you do NOT enjoy the Langella version of the Count because of the "pretty boy" portrayal, and yet you enjoyed Firght Night, who's vampire looked as though he just stepped out of a modeling agency!

I happen to like Fright Night and also don't understand why it seems to be the forgotten movie whenever Vampire movies are mentioned.

You do know what Pacino movie the vampire in Fright Night played in, right? :

"I couldn't explain why I did the things I did. So I went to this psychiatrist who explained to me I was a woman in a man's body. So Sonny right away wanted to get me money for a sex change operation: but where was he to get that? 2500 dollars! My God, he's in hock up to his ears already."

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/07/07 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Time for me to jump into the fray.

I've collected vampire movies for years; they are pretty near my favorite horror genre. (Also, in my skinnier days, I was known for years for dressing up as Dracula around Halloween time.)

Here are just some of the ones that stand out in my mind, in no particular order. A few of my favorites:

Nosferatu (1922)

Dracula (1931 - Bela Lugosi)

Dracula's Daughter (1936 - Gloria Holden) An underrated gem, IMO.

Dracula (USA: Horror of Dracula - 1958 - Christopher Lee) One of the best ever. Period. (TIS, I think this is the actor you were thinking of.)

El Conde Dracula (USA: Count Dracula - 1970 - Christopher Lee) Not part of the Hammer Films series. It had potential, but oh, what they could have done if they only had more than a $20 budget.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (AKA: Dance of the Vampires - 1967) Roman Polanski's film should be seen in its uncut, European release version, if at all possible.

The Night Stalker The original telemovie was great. The series that came after, was, well...let's just say the premise wore a bit thin.

Vampyr (1932) Carl Dreyer's film is, for me, sort of an acquired taste. If you don't like films like this, you won't like this film. One of the problems is that there are no really high quality prints of the film extant.

The Brides of Dracula (1959) An underrated semi-sequel to Horror of Dracula that should be shown more often.

Kiss of the Vampire (1963) A stand-alone gem by Hammer Films. After many years of being only available in the US in a butchered/mutilated version, I understand it has finally been restored.

Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) Begun as a low-budget nudie, the producers had a change of heart and it was released as a straight horror film. Very low-budget, but quite effective in its way.

Fright Night (1985) For some reason, this one seems to be all but forgotten these days. Worth seeing for Roddy McDowall, Chris Sarandon, among others.

Innocent Blood What a film! A vampire/Mob movie with more than its share of comedic moments. Directed by John Landis, starring the gorgeous Anne Parillaud, with Robert Loggia as an Undead Don and Don Rickles (as his Bruce Cutler-esque lawyer) thrown in for good measure. Ya gotta see this one!

I'm sure I'll post some more when I check the Vitelli Archives. I will say, though, that I pretty much hated two of the more popular films already mentioned:

Dracula (1979 - Langella)

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The reasons? Well, basically, my reasons were similar: The leading actors, in both cases, were absolutely not what I thought Count Dracula should look like. I thought Langella's "sexy vampire" and Oldman's long-haired something-or-other (with those ridiculous eyeglasses) were miles away from what Stoker wrote and were totally unbelievable. Also, and possibly worst of all, the writing in these films veered so far awar from the novel (at times) that I just had to shake my head in disgust and wonder "What were these people thinking?"

Anyway, I'll probably get back to this thread a little later.

Time to scour the countryside for fresh victims.

Signor V.

I guess I can understand why you did not like Langella's version, but Bram Stoker's Dracula was good (and he was suppose to look more like the actual Dracula) another thing is Bram Stoker's Dracula has been said to be the closest to the actual novel (which i have yet to read since I am still busy with Rice's Vampire Chronicles.)

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/08/07 12:16 AM

I personally welcomed the change in Langella's Dracula....

I find it a bit amusing that you do NOT enjoy the Langella version of the Count because of the "pretty boy" portrayal, and yet you enjoyed Firght Night, who's vampire looked as though he just stepped out of a modeling agency!

Let me backtrack a little: When the play Dracula was revived on Boadway in the 1970's (with Langella), they were using basically the same script that had been used in 1927 with Bela Lugosi. It was very dated, to say the least, and perhaps Langella's different type of portrayal made for a better theatrical experience. At least - even though it was the same script - nobody could accuse him of imitating Lugosi's "oily, dangerous foreigner" portrayal (which was a popular villainous stereotype back then).

Now, as far as the movie version: The script for the film bore precious little relation to the stage play. And, given such opulent period settings, Langella's Count looked a bit out of place and almost anachronistic. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him a "pretty boy", but he just didn't seem to fit somehow. What really bothered me more was how the writers seemed to totally disregard key elements of the novel. It was a wise move not to film the stage play; but a shamefully wasted opportunity in that there wasn't more fidelity to what Stoker wrote.

Warning, Spoiler:
Having Van Helsing killed was absolute sacrilege. Also, the whole end on the ship and the ridiculous way the Count is "killed". Why the hell has nobody ever filmed the ending as Stoker wrote it? It's quite powerful, yet it has never once been accurately put on film.

Now, as far as Fright Night and Chris Sarandon: I think I accepted his characterization more because the film had a modern setting and he just seemed to "fit" better. Since he wasn't playing "Dracula", I could view the character within the context of an original film with no real preconceptions - which, I will admit - I always will have when watching yet another adaptation of the original Stoker novel. I think most people who see Dracula expect to see certain things. Watching Fright Night, I was more like a clean slate.

And yes, I though Sarandon was most effective in Dog Day Afternoon! ;\)

Bram Stoker's Dracula has been said to be the closest to the actual novel (which i have yet to read since I am still busy with Rice's Vampire Chronicles

While Bram Stoker's Dracula did have several elements that came right from the novel - and had not usually been filmed before - there were many deviations that I felt were unnecessary and detrimental. Since I don't want to spoil it for you, I'll just say that I hope you can get around to reading the novel. It's told in the form of diaries, journals, etc., and is very Victorian in style. (After all, it was written in 1897!)

Signor V.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/08/07 03:04 PM

I am still busy with Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

Have you gotten to Tale Of The Body Thief yet?

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/08/07 10:22 PM

Yes I read that last May and it was a very good book I enjoyed it, but it was not one of my favorites. My favorites go more like this- The Vampire Lestat, Interview with the Vampire, Merrick, and The Vampire Armand((Only reason Merrick got higher is because of the part when Merrick summons the ghost of Claudia))

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/08/07 11:02 PM

I tooliked Lestat the best, then Interview With The Vampire, and then Tale Of The Body Thief.

I also really enjoyed the "offshoot book" - Vittorio The Vampire

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/08/07 11:04 PM

Vittorio The Vampire

Sounds like a shylock I know.

Re: Vampire Movies - 11/09/07 11:59 PM

Submitted for your consideration - here are a few more films I feel are worthy of a look:

Mark of the Vampire (1935) MGM's remake (with Bela Lugosi) of the now-lost London After Midnight.

Return of the Vampire (1943) Bela and his pet werewolf in wartime London (actually the Columbia Pictures backlot). Great fun.

Dead Men Walk (1943) Yeah, I know, it's pure no-budget schlock - but George Zucco in a dual role as good/evil twins (one with hairpiece, one without) and the ever-popular Dwight Frye make this worth one viewing.

The Vampire Lovers (1970) Peter Cushing and Ingrid Pitt. 'Nuff said.

Terror in the Crypt (1963) Another version of J. Sheridan LeFanu's "Carmilla" (like the above title), this one made in Italy and starring Christopher Lee. Not great by any means, but worth a viewing. It may have a different title on DVD, though.

Return of Dracula (1958) AKA Curse of Dracula, a minor but effective little film with a couple of surprisingly gory scenes - particularly that ending!

House of Dark Shadows (1970) As a stand-alone film, I liked it.

Stay tuned...

Signor V.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET