Home

Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan?

Posted By: CLenz7

Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:16 PM

Im going to be in NYC next weekend and I'm looking for the best place for a hero sandwich, any suggestions?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:22 PM

If you mean traditional New York Jewish deli, like Katz's or the Second Avenue Deli (which isn't on Second Avenue anymore), try this thread:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437505

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:33 PM

Im actually going to be around Arthur Avenue in the Bronx initially so I was thinking more along the lines of Italian Deli. Unless Arthur Ave. has become too touristy now that there are better places to go for good italian sub?
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:38 PM

Go to Mike's Deli! it's great!

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:39 PM

Here is the info on it:
http://www.arthuravenue.com/

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CLenz7
Im actually going to be around Arthur Avenue in the Bronx initially so I was thinking more along the lines of Italian Deli. Unless Arthur Ave. has become too touristy now that there are better places to go for good italian sub?

Then just go into the market (the Arthur Avenue Market), and look for Mike's Deli. If not Mike's, there are lots of stands that are comparable (but not as good).

And of course it's touristy. I grew up there, but the neighborhood is actually over 80 percent Latino and Albanian today. But the restaurants and delis are still Italian and family owned, so you won't be disappointed.

http://www.arthuravenue.com/

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:44 PM

Unbelievable. Beanshooter posted Mike's deli around the same time as I did lol.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:45 PM

LOL! great minds think alike! LOL!

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
LOL! great minds think alike! LOL!

There you go smile.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 01:49 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mike's deli it is!
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 02:50 PM

Carnegie deli in manhattan West 54 street and 7th ave.
Posted By: SC

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads

Over-rated and over-priced.

Dunno if Katz' Deli is still open, but IF it is, it's THE deli in Manhattan.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 02:58 PM

Landi's Pork store
5909 ave N Brooklyn

Best rice balls maybe in the entire world

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 02:59 PM

Well you eat there you might be eating with famous people. Stage is closed.

2 nd ave deli closed

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:00 PM

Katz is open and it's another great place.

http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:08 PM

2 nd ave deli closed

No, it didn't. Like I said, it moved. It's not the same, but it's still in business uptown.
Posted By: Holyoke

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:16 PM

Does Bo Dietl make a good sandwich?

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:21 PM

Only for himself! They named streets after that guy.....One Way!

Bo takes selfies of himself masturbating and jerks off to them!

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:22 PM

No. Shit I used to get stuff there before I went over the Manhattan Bridge.

Is the guy who ran screw magazine still work there?

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:22 PM

That's absolutely hilarious yet disturbing at the same time. Where'd you hear that?

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:25 PM

He's a Rao's regular always tooting his own horn on the Imus show. An ex Cop who claims to have the most arrest ever or something like that. The guy is a big self promoter.Listen to him, If he could blow himself he would!

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 03:28 PM

His Arby's commercials show how much of a jerk off he is. The comment about him masturbating to his selfies has me still laughing. I'm gonna use that one in the future.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 04:11 PM

I know him seen him in Rao's likes to sing with Frank like if he really had a voice. Actually saw him sing with the one of a guys who's father he tried to put away in jail.
Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 04:14 PM

I used to have this line for narcissists - when self-marriage is legalized, he/she would be first in line. But the selfie line takes the cake. Bravo Zulu.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 04:20 PM

I know him seen him in Rao's likes to sing with Frank like if he really had a voice. Actually saw him sing with the one of a guys who's father he tried to put away in jail.

I know we must consider the source, but Johnny Alite named him as a crooked cop. A charge Dietl vehemently denied. I think Dietl tries to hard to act like a tough guy and a celebrity instead of a cop.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/jo...rticle-1.403827
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 04:25 PM

I was on Arthur Avenue last week. Shopped at Teitel Brothers. Place is still so reasonable and the quality is excellent. The bread down there has gotten out of control, $4-5 a loaf, as have the bakeries and their sweets. I wanted to get some lemon knot cookies, and they were $12-14 per pound. You're not going to get many in a pound, either. We also stopped at Egidio's for pastries, which was my favorite place. To say they were stale is kind. Went to Full Moon for a slice and actually walked out, because the place stunk of burnt garlic. However, the cheese guy was still great.

Mike's is very good, but I still prefer Teitel Brothers. However, you can't eat at Teitel Brothers.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 04:53 PM

Are their any cops that were not crooked. Except my ex son in law. He was too stupid for anyone to offer him any money.

When he first met me he hands me his glock to look at it. Like to bond with me smile. It crossed my mind to shoot him right in my living room. I should have done it

I am hoping someone kills him in a drive by.

When my daughter was really mad at him. I offered to do it. She told me no her daughter needs a father. True.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 07/19/14 04:56 PM

The poster above who got Richie April character and said It's da jacket. I could relate to that in the show. Some guys took souvenirs from the people they fucked up.

I did that then later thought better of it and dumped them.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/03/14 12:09 PM

IS there a difference between "Arthur Avenue Deli" and "Mike's Arthur Avenue Deli" ???? I ordered a gift basket from "Arthur Ave. Deli" and it was very good, although no better than similar things I have gotten in Buffalo NY. Their shipping was super fast and reasonable by the way.
Posted By: Bugsyvegas1930

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/03/14 12:46 PM

Mike's Deli has the best eggplant parm recipe on the planet. They have recipes online. If I'm not mistaken, Mike's Deli is the Arthur Ave Deli, it's the same place. They also have great gift baskets for Fathers Day and other holidays.

Constantino's Venda Ravioli on Federal Hill in Providence, RI is the nicest Italian specialty deli with the biggest selection of things that I have ever seen or been to.

http://www.vendaravioli.com/shopcontent.asp?type=CostantinosAbout
Posted By: Bugsyvegas1930

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/03/14 12:55 PM

Ever been to Rein's Deli in Connecticut right off I-84?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/03/14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Over-rated and over-priced.

Dunno if Katz' Deli is still open, but IF it is, it's THE deli in Manhattan.

The original Underground Gourmet (published 1967), after citing the crowds and contemptuous service at Katz's, concluded, "Whether a great deli sandwich is worth enduring the ordeal is a decision only the diner can make. The number of people in Katz's at any time of day or night testifies to the triumph of greed over pain." lol
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/03/14 05:12 PM

It is a toss up for me between Mike Deli near Crescent Ave and Leebman's on Johnson Ave, both are locate in the Bronx. Never really ate in Manhatten as the prices seems more expensive to me than in Brooklyn or the Bronx, so I have no opinion for the best deli's in Manhatten.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
It is a toss up for me between Mike Deli near Crescent Ave and Leebman's on Johnson Ave, both are locate in the Bronx.

I'm sorry I missed this post, Giacomo.

Anyway, those spots are night and day. But equally fantastic. It all depends what you're in the mood for. I've posted about my love for Mike's deli ad nauseam here in the past. Leibman's is great, though.

When I was in college I worked a Stella D'oro route. Of course, this was about 35 years ago when Stella D'oro was still in their landmark location on 237th, just off the Deegan. So I ate there quite a bit.

Italian cookies from Stella D'oro for breakfast, Jewish deli from Leibman's for lunch. Tell me that's not a New York story grin.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 09:03 PM

I used to love going past the Stella D'Oro factory on the Deegan and the smells that came out of there put me in a feeding frenzy! I loved their Breakfast treats and the Anisette cookies. I still inhale a package of them every once in a while!

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
I used to love going past the Stella D'Oro factory on the Deegan and the smells that came out of there put me in a feeding frenzy! I loved their Breakfast treats and the Anisette cookies. I still inhale a package of them every once in a while!

And they still taste the same after all these years.

Now, of course they were never as good as fresh baked cookies from a good Italian bakery. But they're better than most packaged cookies, and they've remained consistent for all these years. That's really saying something.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 10:45 PM

When i'm out that way in the BX i go to Casa Della Mozzarella, they have some good quality stuff in there.....PB talking about eels for the holidays i always like to go over to Randazzo's another good spot for fish, then get some Ravioli's and Spinach Noodles from Borgatti's for Christmas dinner ....Can't wait for the holidays!

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35
When i'm out that way in the BX i go to Casa Della Mozzarella, they have some good quality stuff in there.....PB talking about eels for the holidays i always like to go over to Randazzo's another good spot for fish, then get some Ravioli's and Spinach Noodles from Borgatti's for Christmas dinner ....Can't wait for the holidays!

I've known the Randazzos all my life, buddy.

One of the sons was an ADA at the Bronx County Courthouse on 161st (yeah, THAT went over big in the neighborhood lol).

He's a really good guy, though. He's a big shot now in a cushy administrative job here in Bronx County. Which just goes to show, education pays off, and the working man IS the tough guy smile.

That being said, we always bought our fish from Cosenza's. And I'm not even kidding lol.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 11:08 PM

Which son are you talking about? Frank...He's the one that always took care of me when i go in there, real nice guy.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35
Which son are you talking about? Frank...He's the one that always took care of me when i go in there, real nice guy.

There are two brothers who took over the store when their parents passed. They both have sons named Frank (named after the grandfather, obviously). And to further confuse things, they were born a couple of months apart. I'm gonna be 55, so I wanna say that they're about 46 or 47.

One of the Franks works the store, the other is the one I was talking about. Brilliant kid. He's worked in Bronx City Government for years. And he's as ethical as they come. Being from Belmont did nothing to corrupt him whatsoever as an ADA. But like I said, he's a City Administrator now.

Re: Best Deli places in the Bronx and Manhattan? - 08/17/14 11:41 PM

Wow, their parents didn't waste no time on having those kids...Like you said the working man is the tough guy that can go to sleep at night with a clear head...I have to hand it to the Bronx and Brooklyn tho for having some of the best spots for Italian foods this side of the Atlantic, can't be beat.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET