Home

The Tripe / La Trippa

Posted By: Money

The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/09/12 10:43 PM

First slice the tripe, wash well and drain it as well. Peel the onion, celery and carrot, then cut the vegetables into small cubes.

In a saucepan, saute the oil and butter with garlic and laurel, then add the vegetables, after a few minutes add the tripe, let it dry and then remove the garlic, pour the wine into the pan it to evaporate completely.

Now add the tomatoes, salt and pepper (as favorite) then bring to cooking tripe (about 45 total minutes), basting occasionally with the broth and turning often.
When cooked, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and let stand for 5 minutes and serve piping hot tripe and, if necessary, add more Parmesan.

Attached picture trippafiorentina380m.jpg
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/10/12 06:13 PM

I love tripe, Money. I grew up on it and still have it a few times a year. Sometimes my Mom would put either chick peas or cubed potatoes in it, like a stew. Mmmmmm! smile

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/10/12 08:12 PM

yeah! my grandmother also put beans and bacon in the tripe, In Italy, unfortunately, the tripe can not homemade due the Sanity laws..
(I'm sorry for my approximate english)

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/10/12 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Money
yeah! my grandmother also put beans and bacon in the tripe, In Italy, unfortunately, the tripe can not homemade due the Sanity laws..
(I'm sorry for my approximate english)

You're English is fine, Money. Putting pancetta and beans in the tripe helps mask the smell (which I don't mind anyway).

I found this recipe on Youtube a few months ago. It's very similar to my mother's. Her people came from Stigliano, which is in Matera, Basilicata. But be careful watching, it will make you hungry! lol

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/10/12 11:37 PM

wow!! I'm Hungry!!!! unfortunately, today few people appreciate tripe..
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/11/12 01:45 AM

My grandmother and mother made Trippa also. We didn't have it often and it was a special thing when we did. I never learned to make it but it was similar to what is pictured. I think my grandmother added potatoes to hers. smile

TIS
Posted By: RobertoTrippa

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/11/12 03:36 AM

Trippa is coming back on the tables everywhere. I like tripe simply boiled and dressed with olive oil, salt and pepper, or a little "salsa verde" (green salsa made with parsley). If you read and understand Italian I recommend the tripe blog at troppatrippa.com with news and recipes and curiosities about the so-called "fifth quarter". Cheers, Roberto.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/11/12 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertoTrippa
Trippa is coming back on the tables everywhere.

Funny that you say this. I remember when my grandmother was alive, she would make it every Sunday. And from what I remember it was not expensive at all.

Now, the same way that the big restaurants & chefs decided that they could make more money by calling it PASTA instead of calling it macaroni, they are listing Trippa as being an Italian delicacy so that they can charge more money for it! LOL

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/11/12 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
And from what I remember it was not expensive at all.

If my mother spent enough money at Biancardi's or Vincent's meat markets, they'd give her a few pounds of tripe, because she was such a good customer. Swear to God.

Even today, it's only few dollars a pound. And the tripe today is a lot less work. It's snow white and parboiled. There's no reason at all to be "turned off" by it.

We still make it a few times a year. And if I see it in a familiar restaurant, I'll usually order it.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/13/12 03:35 PM

A popular Pennsylvania Dutch meal that goes back to Germany takes a pig's stomach, fills it with sausage stuffing and bakes it until done. It is sliced vertically and pretty darn good. A lot of the old time Germans here serve it on Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 02/14/12 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
A popular Pennsylvania Dutch meal that goes back to Germany takes a pig's stomach, fills it with sausage stuffing and bakes it until done. It is sliced vertically and pretty darn good. A lot of the old time Germans here serve it on Thanksgiving.

Sounds like a second cousin to haggis!

Signor V.
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: The Tripe / La Trippa - 11/20/12 02:54 AM

Very old thread, but I grew up on Tripe or as my grandpa said "U Tripp" and my mother makes it still, she uses a spicy tomato sauce and serves it over orecchiette Mhmmmm lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET