Home

Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 12:48 AM

I ran across this article today. Apparently this Italian restaurant named a hamburger the "wopburger" and a few are up in arms. I find it amusing myself. What do you think?

Restaurant Refuses To Change

LOUISVILLE, Colo. -- There's a controversy brewing in Louisville over the name of a burger at a family-owned Italian restaurant.

The Blue Parrot in Louisville has a burger on its menu called the "Wopburger." To some, the name has a negative connotation, but to others, it's no big deal.

The Blue Parrot owners, Joe Colacci and Joan Riggins, said since the restaurant opened in 1919, it has never had a controversy quite like this.

However, despite the controversy, they said the name of the burger is going to stay.

An Italian-American customer argued that the name "Wopburger" was offensive and is an ethnic slur, while others said the complaints are political correctness gone too far.

"He was giving my grandson a hard time about this Wopburger," Colacci said. "He said, 'you have to take this off the menu.'"

According to Dictionary.com, the term "wop" comes from the word "guappo" meaning "swagger or pimp."

The owners said they considered changing the burger's name, but their customers told them not to.

"All over the country people have called -- I've been on a Baltimore radio station -- and they have all been very supportive," Riggins said.

Because of the controversy, the owners said the Wopburger has become one of the most popular dishes on the menu.

"If you were born in New York or some place maybe a wop was derogatory, but not here," said customer Bob Bush. "We love being wops."

"It's just a wopper. It's just a sandwich," said Riggins. "If I out and called you 'a dirty wop,' then that would be a slur. That would be a problem."

The owners said they are worried that the controversy will spill over into a side business. They provide spaghetti sauce for the entire Boulder County School District. However, a spokesman for the school district told 7NEWS it wouldn't affect the relationship.

TIS

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/13369860/detail.html
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 12:53 AM

A Wop Burger! I find it pretty funny myself.

I wonder if it has Mozzarella and Sauce on it!

People really need to direct their efforts and energies towards more serious matters than something like this.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 12:57 AM

It's quite different if someone where to call me, say, "a filfthy, dirty wop" or curse at me using the term "wop" or call me a "spoiled guinea brat" \:p in anger, but I just think this is silly to make a big deal out of.

TIS
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 01:09 AM

I find it funny how places had names that today would seem derogatory. There is a creek blocks from my house called "ch*nk Creek". I have no idea how this hasn't caused an uproar.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 01:15 AM

Speaking of business names, there's a new mini post office opening in my area. You know the small place you buy stamps and mail packages, etc, not the city post office....anyway you know what the name of it is? "Goin' Postal"!!

Don't know if some of those people who actually went "postal" will be offended or not, \:p but it cracked me up.

TIS
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 01:16 AM

This is just ridiculous. Burger King sells Whoppers -- what's the difference? The spelling? Is this idiot also trying to rename the style of music called doo-wop?

If I owned that restaurant and someone complained, I'd kick them out after throwing my new item at them: "Daigo Fries" \:D
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 02:22 AM

I thought that "wop" stood for WithOut Papers? Am I wrong?

Personally, I always wanted to start a coffee place called Wopuccino's and serve Godfather-inspired coffees, like the Santino, which is the double shot of espresso, or the Kay, which is just plain coffee, or the Tom, which is decaf espresso, because it wants to be Italian but it's not. Or maybe Fredo should be the decaf, so weak. The Vito would be the traditional espresso.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 02:23 AM

Have any of you guys ever had a n*gger sandwich?

They're lovely, but very filling.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

This is just ridiculous. Burger King sells Whoppers -- what's the difference? The spelling? Is this idiot also trying to rename the style of music called doo-wop?

If I owned that restaurant and someone complained, I'd kick them out after throwing my new item at them: "Daigo Fries" \:D

Damn. You stole my line. Next thing you know the Irish will protest "mick"nuggets.

Actually, in my hometown, many of the Italians have been making their own wine that is called "Dago Red." I guess many of you are familiar with the wine.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 02:32 AM

This paisan really doesn't care about anyone's use of the word WOP. It's origins are obscure; noone really knows. If someone called me a WOP, I might be inclined to knock their block off. But I probably wouldn't be.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Apparently this Italian restaurant named a hamgurger the "wopburger"...

It's getting beyond ridiculous. I think the word "wopburger" is no big deal - it was clearly not meant as a slur.

However, I do find the word "hamgurger" highly offensive. ;\)

Seriously, it's time for some people to get a life.

Signor V.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 03:14 AM

Ha ha!! Look how I spelled "hamburger". Whatsa matta? You never have a hamgurger?

TIS
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 04:52 AM

For the heck of it, I did a "racial slur" Google search and learned that the words "Big Mac" is a racial slur against "Large Scottish Men".

Yeah, I am American, but both sides of my family are Scottish. And being a big guy I can't help but wish I had the time and energy to sue McDonalds.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Yeah, I am American, but both sides of my family are Scottish. And being a big guy I can't help but wish I had the time and energy to sue McDonalds.

You can sue them for McLibel and McSlander.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Actually, in my hometown, many of the Italians have been making their own wine that is called "Dago Red." I guess many of you are familiar with the wine.

When did Father Mulcahy walk into the room?

BTW - where is the racial superhero Al Sharpton when we truly need him? Throw up the Black Signal!!! \:p
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 04:18 PM

It doesn't offend me. You have to pick your battles and quite frankly it's no big deal.

I mean, Sinatra named his private plane the EL DAGO and no one complained. Then again, he was Sinatra. ;\)
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 05:08 PM

The person who is bitchin about this doesn't have to go in that guys restaurant. Get some thicker skin buddy. Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
The person who is bitchin about this doesn't have to go in that guys restaurant. Get some thicker skin buddy. Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.
Like that art gallery and the Chocolate Jesus thing, right? \:p

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 05:36 PM

Having a blonde moment. Have no idea what you are talking about sorry.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 05:40 PM

Never mind.

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 06:06 PM

whatever
Posted By: bogey

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 09:39 PM

I don't really see what the big deal is.. I'm pretty sure people just like to complain, though.

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
 Originally Posted By: Mignon
Like that art gallery and the Chocolate Jesus thing, right? \:p

EXACTLY like the art gallery.
Posted By: Anthony Lombardi

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 09:48 PM

as an italian-american, i find this hilarious - maybe that's because i have a sado-masochistic love for being the butt of jokes...hmph...
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/24/07 10:59 PM

What about the whopper or the Mc______ ?

Seriously, how many gaudy silk bowling shirts and containers of hair-grease do you have to own before you actually find this offensive? \:p

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/25/07 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Anthony Lombardi
as an italian-american, i find this hilarious - maybe that's because i have a sado-masochistic love for being the butt of jokes...hmph...

I love the avatar. A picture of Wilde and a quote from Shaw. You are obviously a man of exquisite taste. ;\)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/30/07 07:40 PM

How many hands does it take to handle a Wopburger???

Other Menu items:

Baby Wetback Ribs
Nipsushi
Mickale
SpickFilets
Coondogs
Kikefish
Wasparagus

Have I left anyone out?
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Restaurant Refuses To Change Hamburger Name - 05/31/07 01:02 AM

Who wants an Eskimo Pie?