Home

Book Description

Posted By: J Geoff

Book Description - 08/24/06 07:19 AM

Book Description
The third, and final, installment in Mario Puzo's epic chronicle of the Corleone crime family-one of the most enduring lineages in American literature and cinema-achieves a stunning crescendo with a story that imagines the role of the Mafia in the assassination of a young, charismatic president.

It's impossible to overstate the influence of Mario Puzo's The Godfather, which has become an essential part of our cultural lexicon. Puzo's novel about the secret world of organized crime became a megabestseller and an instant classic. The book inspired the Francis Ford Coppola films-unprecedented successes in their own right-and launched a national obsession with the Mafia that continues unabated today.

In The Godfather's Revenge-again authorized by the Puzo Estate-Mark Winegardner moves the Corleone family onto the biggest stage of all: the intersection of organized crime and national politics. A subordinate to Michael Corleone, New Orleans underboss Carlo Tramonti is publicly humiliated when the U.S. Attorney General-President Danny Shea's brother-has him arrested and deported to Colombia. Tramonti eventually returns, hell-bent on settling scores, and triggers a series of events destined to change the course of American history. Corleone, though haunted by the death of his brother Fredo, knows that this is no time for weakness-and so, with fearless consigliere Tom Hagen leading the way, a new path for the future is forged.

As the dramatic twists of The Godfather's Revenge take the reader from Las Vegas to Miami to New Orleans, from the power alleys of Washington, D.C., to the remote jungles of Colombia, the puppet master behind the curtain remains Michael Corleone, the tortured prodigal son who is determined to redefine his family's legacy and make his father-the original Godfather-proud.

(Taken from Amazon)

PRE-ORDER NOW
Posted By: SC

Re: Book Description - 08/24/06 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
In The Godfather's Revenge-again authorized by the Puzo Estate-Mark Winegardner ....
Reason enough to miss it. He's a shitty author.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Book Description - 08/24/06 12:10 PM

Why don't they just come out and say, "loosely (and poorly) based upon the Robert F. Kennedy/Carlos Marcello saga."

:rolleyes:

I'll just wait for it to turn up again at one of my local libraries book sales for $1 like I did the first one. :p
Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio

Re: Book Description - 08/24/06 04:42 PM

Don Altobello is bound to have a key role in this.

And maybe we'll meet the young Vincent
Posted By: stavka

Re: Book Description - 08/24/06 07:42 PM

maybe there will be a scene with drapes
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Book Description - 08/24/06 10:13 PM

Nah, too original for this author. :p
Posted By: Paul Krendler

Re: Book Description - 08/24/06 11:25 PM

I've said this before on another thread, but I swear if he writes about Michael "getting wood" in this book, the bloody thing's going in the shredder!

Re: Book Description - 08/25/06 01:06 AM

HAHAHA.

It weren't bad enough they made Fredo gay in the last one!
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Book Description - 08/25/06 02:57 AM

I'll pass.

Or, to put it more bluntly:

Perhaps we should be glad this will be the final installment.

It's not personal, Geoff. It's strictly business.

Signor V.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: Book Description - 08/25/06 06:46 AM

Can someone tell me which years "Return" and "Revenge" cover?

Re: Book Description - 08/25/06 09:57 AM

The Returns covers from the end of the first film to to the start of the second (1955-58) and then after the sequal bulk of the second film (59-62) It also has a brief section on Michaels childhood and his time in the war. I'm hoping that in the next book, it shows more of Mike's relationship with his brothers.

I dont know what years the final book covers, but at a guess it'll be 62-79 to take us to the start of part III.
Posted By: Toni_corleone

Re: Book Description - 08/25/06 07:45 PM

I hope Mike finds and kills Ace in this one I hated that guy.
Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Re: Book Description - 08/26/06 10:18 PM

What about Fausto Geraci in this book?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Book Description - 08/29/06 12:59 PM

You're all full of it. :p

You know damn well, being the Godfather whores that most of us are, that when the bookcomes out, we'll all be too tempted not to read it.

Hopefully this one is better than his last debacle.

I like the Carlos Marcello/Keneedy storyline though. That could be very interesting.

I'm not gonna lie. I'll buy the book when it comes out.

Don Cardi

Re: Book Description - 08/29/06 07:59 PM

I'm no whore

I know I'll read it.

But, Weingardner has taken some serious liberties with our beloved characters already.

Re: Book Description - 08/29/06 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:
I'm no whore

Your right. You're not a GF whore.

You're just some Hollywood Finochio!

Don Cardi

Re: Book Description - 08/29/06 10:04 PM

Shut up, or you'll make Tom giggle.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Book Description - 08/30/06 09:12 PM

Ok People,Own up,How many of you have pre ordered this book,im in two minds weather too or not
Posted By: Dominic Corleone

Re: Book Description - 08/30/06 09:45 PM

I love it - the description from the Amazon/UK

It is 1963 in New York, and things have never been better for the Corleones. They've taken out their Mafia rivals, and legitimised the Family. Michael Corleone and Tom Hagen - Vito Corleone's adopted son, and the glue that holds the family together - are closer than they've ever been. Outside the fortified building owned by Michael, newly undisputed Boss of Bosses, a parade of people wait to ask the great man for favours. Among the visitors are former mob rivals, an emissary from the Mayor of New York, even faces from the past like Jonny Fontane; all come to pay homage. The Mafia Don walks the streets of his New York, beloved and protected. But one problem remains. Michael has sworn revenge upon the traitorous former Corleone capo, Nick Geraci. Up until now Geraci, who has powerful friends and far too much to say, has evaded him. And that night, as the fireworks begin to explode over First Avenue, comes the news that Jimmy Shea, President of the United States, has been assassinated. Was another mob family involved? Or did the Corleones have a hand in the killing of their old friend? "The Godfather's Revenge" tells the riveting story of the final years of the Corleones, bringing Mario Puzo's great saga to a conclusion.

Re: Book Description - 08/30/06 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominic Corleone:
"The Godfather's Revenge" tells the riveting story of the final years of the Corleones, bringing Mario Puzo's great saga to a conclusion.
To a conclusion? Hmmmmm. Doesn't sound as though Winegartner brings this story up to the GFIII timeline then.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

One of the things that bothered me about The Godfather Returns is that Winegartner had the opportunity to bring the Frank Pentangeli character to the surface, in more detail. Unfortunately he dropped the ball with that.

Don Cardi
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Book Description - 08/31/06 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
...You know damn well, being the Godfather whores that most of us are, that when the bookcomes out, we'll all be too tempted not to read it....
Guess again.

I literally had 'The Godfather' handed to me (for which I'll be forever grateful) before even bothering to read that.

After suffering through about a chapter and a half of 'Godfather Returns'...I doubt temptation will get the best of me when this new one shows up.

Godfather Whore
(except for GFIII and the novels)...

Apple
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Book Description - 09/01/06 03:28 PM

I'll buy it and read it but my expectations are about as low as they can get.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Book Description - 09/02/06 09:21 PM

The only difference between Winegardner's work and ordinary "fan fiction" is that Winegardner sat down and, with a contract for publication from Random House already in hand, wrote a 430 page book.

Now, with contract to write a sequel to his first sequel, he's ready to do it again.

What I don't understand - since this is strictly business and not personal - what I don't understand is why, given the poor sales of "The Return", Random House is willing to roll the dice again on Winegardner and hire him to write "The Revenge."

But nevertheless, as Don Cardi suggests, I'll be at Barnes and Noble to buy it on the day that it come out. :rolleyes:
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Book Description - 09/02/06 09:43 PM

Because as you say there was probably already a contract or clause in a contract warranting a second sequel if the first made x amount of dollars ... and that despite the lower than expected profit of 'GF Returns', Random House must've placed bets (aka rolled the dice) that there are enough Godfather 'whores' out there who will be too tempted not to 'pre-order now'... whether or not they end up actually reading it.

Apple
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Book Description - 09/03/06 03:36 PM

Just the fact that Winegardner is writing the book is a turn off. At this point, I can't say I intend to buy it.

I agree with PLaw. In view of the fact that "GF Returns" was less than successful, I lose my motivation for buying this one. Yet, I'll admit, if I see posters here comment on how great the book is, I'll probably get it. As of now however, I have no interest in buying it.

TIS
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Book Description - 09/03/06 06:14 PM

I will probably buy it like that other piece of garbage I bought that took 6 months to read.
Posted By: style69

Re: Book Description - 09/10/06 12:32 PM

lmaooo what a joke
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Book Description - 09/13/06 11:30 AM

I have to admit, I'll buy it. I'm sure it will suck, but I'll buy it.
Posted By: Donatello Noboddi

Re: Book Description - 09/19/06 07:19 PM

I'll probably buy it, but like Godfather Returns, I was very disappointed in the lack of imagination of the story. The parallels between real-life events and this book are a serious turn-off. It's almost like Weingartner grabbed books on Giancana, Sinatra, Marcello, and etc, and just changed the names.

I got an idea... how about something new?
Posted By: finsnasty84

Re: Book Description - 09/20/06 12:11 AM

ill buy it and read it
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Book Description - 09/20/06 08:08 AM

Does anyone think this book could actually turn out worse than the "Godfather Returns"?
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Book Description - 10/22/06 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
Does anyone think this book could actually turn out worse than the "Godfather Returns"?

Oh I'm sure it will be.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Book Description - 10/23/06 05:36 AM

The Godfather's Revenge:

Plot: Don Corleone arrises from his grave, determined to regain control of his family from Michael...

Jesus Christ. I caught "The Godfather Returns" the other day, and nearly slit my wrists at the poor quality of the writing. That is for another section of the forum I know, but I've just got to meantion it somewhere.

I'm sure not to ask of this from Santa.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Book Description - 10/24/06 01:50 PM

The Godfather's Revenge would be Don Corleone rises from his grave and orders a hit on Mark Weingartner.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET