Home

"In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers)

Posted By: plawrence

"In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 11/21/04 01:49 PM

One of the reviews someone posted had that comment, but I can't find it

Anyway, strictly speaking you can't call these "jokes", but only true fans would pick them up...

In a one line preface to Book I in the original, Puzo uses the quote from Balzac "Behind every great fortune there is a crime".

GRT has Fransesca making the same comment to her husband, attributing it "Balzac, maybe".

Also, Winegardner writes "The death of (name ommitted) sent shockwaves through the underworld of the nation".

Puzo uses exactly the same phrase when writing about the death of Sonny.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 11/21/04 09:06 PM

Interesting. Please post more as and when you come across them. Having only read the book once, though, I wouldn't have picked up on the second example you posted.

I welcome all hurled fruit coming my way, of course.

Mick
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 11/22/04 12:46 AM

He drops names as if to say "I read the first book" and I found it pretty annoying, but the Bocchiocchio were brought back, the Rosatos were mentioned, and there were a few other annoying little things he threw in, which escape me right now.

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 11/22/04 02:30 AM

I almost forgot. At the very end (I dont think this is a spoiler) Signora Colombo's son (thats right, the one with the dog) sells Michael his penthouse.This one made me chuckle.
Posted By: JeremyM

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 11/24/04 05:08 AM

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime".

I think it was a crime that this guy wrote this book, and that he'll probably make a fortune. I hate to keep trashing this guy on the board, but it's too easy! He's awful!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 11/24/04 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeremyM:
"Behind every great fortune there is a crime".

I think it was a crime that this guy wrote this book, and that he'll probably make a fortune. I hate to keep trashing this guy on the board, but it's too easy! He's awful!
:p Welcome to the site.

Mick

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 12/01/04 02:37 AM

Stupid little thing I remembered from thinking about the movies: The s are mentioned in a scene where SPOILER WARNING Fredo is "captured" trying to cross the boarder from Canadia. He has them in his car though "he hasnt baught them since he father was shot....when one of the bullets tore through the oranges and hit good ol' Vito" How did they get into his car then? I dont think he went arond stealing oranges, and 2) Vito knocked the oranges onto the ground. I'm pretty sure he didnt try to use the ground orbs as a shield while being shot at. :rolleyes:

*Sorry, couldnt help myself.
Posted By: Milwaukee Don

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 12/08/04 04:13 PM

FYI, in GFR, the oranges were left behind by Fredo's 'date'.

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 12/09/04 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Milwaukee Don:
FYI, in GFR, the oranges were left behind by Fredo's 'date'.
SPOILER WARNING
I have no experiance, so I dont know, but I dont think 1) Gay men walk around with bags of oranges and 2)I dont think gay men go on dates to buy oranges.
Posted By: Diavolo

Re: "In Jokes" For True Fans (No Spoilers) - 12/24/04 06:32 AM

He did say that the other guy was a diabetic and needed the sugar. Though, I imagine the flashback would have come earlier when they bought the oranges.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET