Home

Football Is A Waste Of Time

Posted By: dontomasso

Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/06/13 04:22 PM

Ok, I've said it. It is a stupid sport that gets worse as each year goes by. The College conferences are a complete mess, they make no sense, and all of it is about money. The "student-athletes" aren't really students, and the number of thugs per capita among them compares to the rest of the population is too hish. Cash strapped schools pay coaches more than professors or researchers, and at the end of the day there are always the same five or six schools have a shot at the national championship.

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time. The frickin games take 4 to 5 hours...it is not worth it. There are countless replays, inane announcers and a few elite teams and little else worth watching.

I watched very little football last year and probably will watch none this year (except the Super Bowl, which no one really watches anyway. Its just an excuse to have a party).
Thoughts?
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/07/13 04:58 PM

What's your local team?

Do you think that your outlook would be different if your local team was perennial contender?

As far as college goes...college sports in general is a sham...even schools that don't offer athletic scholarships have SEPARATE applications for athletes of high profile teams. you'll generally find that even in "leagues" not associated with big time college sports...that the same three schools dominate any given sport, year in and year out.

trust me....

at ANY University.....there are schools that are easier to get into than others...and there are relatively easy majors that athletes are steered into

=============================

"cash strapped" schools can generate a LOT of revenue for their schools if they hire the right guy/gal to coach their team or be their AD....a LOT of revenue....
schools switch conferences at the drop of a hat for the same reason

that coach gets a few good recruiting classes and school can potentially get a return on investment (coach's salary) that makes all parties happy.

The big time football factories just operate on a larger scale and with no pretensions, but lot of college sports are dirty.

=============================================

the pro game is GREAT....automatic reviews on every scoring play might slow the game down..but is great for the game.

NOTHING in sports is equal to your team winning the superbowl (unless a blood relative of your wins a gold medal in Olympics)

outside of family stuff and personal accomplishments...Giants beating the then undefeated Patriots was one of the most happy moments of my life.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/07/13 06:37 PM

Great reply.

My local team is Tampas Bay which has had litt to cheer about lately. I do remember their glory years and their Super bowl win. While it was great my team winning the Staney Cup was better.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/07/13 10:00 PM

Been a huge college fan since before the college game has gotten out of hand. Sadly now that the NCAA knows this is a cash cow it will be treated like that from here on out. Alabama football alone pays for everything else in the school to function sports wise. I'll take it though. Roll Tide!

Tampa Bay huh? I spent a week every summer on Davis Island. Loved it.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 01:12 AM

DT, you are in my camp. I've lost a lot of interest in Pro Sports. TV is all about the "show" and not the game. The game is all about show-boating. What happened to the athletes? Role models? - NO. I'd rather watch a college lacrosse game.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 01:52 AM

I'm not a football fan, but my husband likes the Giants. Do what he does. He DVRs the games, fast forwards through all the BS and can watch an entire game in about an hour.

The TV BS can be said for all sports. Look at NASCAR. It was way much more fun to watch in the days of Cale Yarborough, AJ Foyt, the Allisons, Richard Petty. Now the cars are so uniform, it's all garbage.
Posted By: Caemine718

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I'm not a football fan, but my husband likes the Giants. Do what he does. He DVRs the games, fast forwards through all the BS and can watch an entire game in about an hour.

The TV BS can be said for all sports. Look at NASCAR. It was way much more fun to watch in the days of Cale Yarborough, AJ Foyt, the Allisons, Richard Petty. Now the cars are so uniform, it's all garbage.

That's not a nice thing to say. The bs commercials, my wife works in advertising and broadcasting and has delivered some very informative PSA's considering a lot of issues we have in todays society. Some of us at the AdConsuel love giving back to the community while also going to various sports events to promote awareness. I'm not trying to be confrontational but you and your husband seem quite ignorant to do such a thing.
Posted By: SC

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Caemine718
I'm not trying to be confrontational but you and your husband seem quite ignorant to do such a thing.

Try harder! You can start by apologizing to Sicilian Babe.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
I'm not trying to be confrontational but you and your husband seem quite ignorant to do such a thing.

Try harder! You can start by apologizing to Sicilian Babe.

I shouldn't have worded it in such a manner so I apologize. I meant that from a business point of view. Sure there is strategically placed ads that are annoying but their are organizations that work closely with Athletes and implement programs that are beneficial to a generation of at risk youth in Ny and else well. I'm not trying to argue or fight with anyone Im here new SC. I've browsed here and there over the years and then decided to sign up recently not trying to get off on the wrong foot with you and Sicilian babe

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
DT, you are in my camp. I've lost a lot of interest in Pro Sports. TV is all about the "show" and not the game. The game is all about show-boating. What happened to the athletes? Role models? - NO. I'd rather watch a college lacrosse game.

AMEN! College LAX...now there's a game!

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 06:42 PM

A. I'm not ignorant.
B. You SEEM ignorant by saying that to people who fast forward through commercials, which is anyone who owns a DVR.
C. Instead of "promoting awareness", why don't you just volunteer at a soup kitchen twice a week? You would probably do a lot more good.

Perhaps you didn't mean any harm, but telling someone they're ignorant and not nice isn't exactly a page out of Dale Carnegie.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 06:48 PM

A. I'm not ignorant.
B. You SEEM ignorant by saying that to people who fast forward through commercials, which is anyone who owns a DVR.
C. Instead of "promoting awareness", why don't you just volunteer at a soup kitchen twice a week? You would probably do a lot more good.

Perhaps you didn't mean any harm, but telling someone they're ignorant and not nice isn't exactly a page out of Dale Carnegie.

I'm not going to argue with you. Well do you read Carnegies books like how to win friends and influence people? Jesus I just signed up here and feel like Im being attacked you can go to a soul kitchen and help out how about that?

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 07:21 PM

I wasn't looking for an argument either. I was telling you what my husband does, since I stated that I don't even LIKE football.

Please, go in peace, find a good outlet for all your anger.

By the way, what's a soul kitchen? Is that where they cook souls and serve them to Satan?? Just a little joke, trying to lighten the mood!
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 08:17 PM

Nice thread title DT. wink I agree with both DT & SB.

As you all know I watch NO sports. However, there have been a few times during Super Bowl I only watch the halftime show. What a pain in the ass waiting for what shows as 3 freekin' minutes on the clock to pass that actually takes a half hour. rolleyes I found a solution tho. My son-in-law who many times watches calls me at half time, sparing me the torture of watching a game. tongue

TIS

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 08:18 PM

I'm not angry. I'm beyond hurt the way you've talked to me. You know I meant soup.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 08:53 PM

Yes, that's why I said it was a JOKE. Can we please move on?

TIS, I do watch sometimes, only because it's something to share with my husband, but baseball is my game.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 08:57 PM

Let's be fair Caemine, you came in quite aggressively defensive over something that not many people have an interest in - advertising/marketing. I appreciate your wife may do some good work in it but in honesty I would be happy if I never saw an ad ever again. That's no disrespect to your wife but it's my honest feeling.

Perhaps we should get back on topic. Football.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 08:59 PM

Yes, that's why I said it was a JOKE. Can we please move on?

TIS, I do watch sometimes, only because it's something to share with my husband, but baseball is my game.

SB,

If I HAD to pick one sport I would watch,(and actually I did go to one Angels' game believe it or not) it probably would be baseball. It's waaaay easier to understand. wink

TIS

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
Let's be fair Caemine, you came in quite aggressively defensive over something that not many people have an interest in - advertising/marketing. I appreciate your wife may do some good work in it but in honesty I would be happy if I never saw an ad ever again. That's no disrespect to your wife but it's my honest feeling.

I love football turi. She coordinated a lot of campaigns PSAs (public service announcements) for controversial issues such as Gay Marriage.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 09:16 PM

As we digress....and Ambassador Turi lends a calming hand (what a guy), it is an interesting topic. In many walks of life technology, money and sport seem to collide. We as humans love to play like puppies, yet we have many sophisticated sports. Technology makes the simple and innocent into something complicated and strips it down. The Sloooooooooooooooow, motionnnnnnnnnnnnn, replaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay; from every angle. Do we really need referees and judges? I think not. Cameras, lasers and computers can do the job. Then there is the cash. Where there is sport-hype there is cash. Where there is cash, there is corruption. Can the three co-exist? Contentiously.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/08/13 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano

I love football turi. She coordinated a lot of campaigns PSAs (public service announcements) for controversial issues such as Gay Marriage.

Brilliant and it's great to hear. I truly hope it makes a difference, we need less intolerance in this world.

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
As we digress....and Ambassador Turi lends a calming hand (what a guy), it is an interesting topic. In many walks of life technology, money and sport seem to collide. We as humans love to play like puppies, yet we have many sophisticated sports. Technology makes the simple and innocent into something complicated and strips it down. The Sloooooooooooooooow, motionnnnnnnnnnnnn, replaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay; from every angle. Do we really need referees and judges? I think not. Cameras, lasers and computers can do the job. Then there is the cash. Where there is sport-hype there is cash. Where there is cash, there is corruption. Can the three co-exist? Contentiously.

True, the money element has gotten ridiculously out of hand, especially over here with our football [soccer] where we're still crawling out of a double dip recession yet players continue to request bigger contracts? Completely separating themselves from the regular person. I assume it's not that different over there. (I.E A-Rod "fighting for his life"? Really? After all those millions you've earned?

Gotta admit I love the slow mo stuff though smile

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/09/13 01:59 AM

Don't get me started on ARoid, Turi. He's disgraceful on so many levels.

Unfortunately, it seems football players are even worse, though (how do you like that segue back on topic???). I believe over 40 NFL players have been arrested this year, with the most notable being the Patriot's Hernandez.

Here is a link to a database of all NFL players arrested since 2000. The list is rather long, and UT San Diego doesn't guarantee that it's comprehensive.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-da...amp;CPIorderBy=
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/09/13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Ok, I've said it. It is a stupid sport that gets worse as each year goes by. The College conferences are a complete mess, they make no sense, and all of it is about money. The "student-athletes" aren't really students, and the number of thugs per capita among them compares to the rest of the population is too hish. Cash strapped schools pay coaches more than professors or researchers, and at the end of the day there are always the same five or six schools have a shot at the national championship.

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time. The frickin games take 4 to 5 hours...it is not worth it. There are countless replays, inane announcers and a few elite teams and little else worth watching.

I watched very little football last year and probably will watch none this year (except the Super Bowl, which no one really watches anyway. Its just an excuse to have a party).
Thoughts?

DT based on this quote you and my dad would get along perfectly, as he hates football hell he hates all sports so does my mom and my brother. I'm a sports fanatic Football, Hockey and NASCAR are my big 3

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/13/13 03:32 PM

Of your top 3 I am definitely a hockey fan. Sorry, I am one of those who doesn't "get" NASCAR.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/13/13 08:13 PM

I can't watch NASCAR either. Many times I've been offered tickets for Pocono, but I have no interest.

But I can pretty much watch any football game any time, college or pro.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/14/13 12:45 AM

For the non-specific sports fan, NASCAR and Golf are probably the two worst TV broadcasts. I play golf and I watch golf, but can I see if you are not a participant, it can be mighty boring.....but NASCAR is worse.
Posted By: scarfacetm

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/14/13 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I can't watch NASCAR either. Many times I've been offered tickets for Pocono, but I have no interest.

But I can pretty much watch any football game any time, college or pro.
I go to the races when they're up in New Hampshire, but honestly, thats why I perfer the European forms of racing i.e F1, GP2, GP3, then again my job involves working with those forms of racing so that might have something to do with it. I'm definitely a hockey person though.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/16/13 02:17 AM

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time.

Blasphemerrrrrrr!

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/20/13 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time.

Blasphemerrrrrrr!

Ok, I'll clean it up. The pro game is a *(%$@#($*%
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/20/13 06:01 PM

Hey now Ladies and Gentlemen, the mob makes beaucoup money off of football with gambling, let's show a little respect huh?? LOL!
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/21/13 02:41 AM

Thoughts?

Hard to believe it wasn't a woman that posted this.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/21/13 02:24 PM

I am not surprised Ivy League has a problem with women. I bet they have a problem with him as well. Except for mom, of course, because as we all know Ivy League lives at home and spends his time in the basement in his pajamas surfing the net all day.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/23/13 02:18 AM

I am not surprised Ivy League has a problem with women.

I don't have a problem with women. I just find a guy who sees no value in the great sport of football rather queer.

Quote:
I bet they have a problem with him as well. Except for mom, of course, because as we all know Ivy League lives at home and spends his time in the basement in his pajamas surfing the net all day.

And you're basing this on what?

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 08/27/13 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I don't have a problem with women. I just find a guy who sees no value in the great sport of football rather queer.

As usual you do not have your facts straight (or should I say you are just not straight). What I said was PRO football and the newly developed mega conferences in College football is a waste of time. I love the game of football High School, small time College, pick-up games of touch...I just don't like the NFL brand.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/02/13 12:36 AM

/I used to play football and for years loved it and attended every NFL game in town, but it has gotten to the point that I just see dollar signs running down the field. The NFL as well as the players have gotten too greedy in my mind. A lot of these fans don't have a pot to piss in but will give up all kinds of things to get the money to go to the game and pay $8.00 for a wax paper cup of beer or $5.00 -$7.00 for a hot dog. The NFL settled the players suit over concussions long term effects because they didn't want the players Attorneys getting into their finances during discovery and find out that they are taking in BILLIONS while they struggle to see a game. I have pretty much now lost interest and watch very few games anymore- except the occasional Packers game we get down here

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/03/13 03:55 PM

Another reason why the NFL settled the lawsuit was to keep private their records indicating that they had longstanding knowledge that cerebral injuries were producing long term symptoms and serious ailments.

The NFL has bargained out of the workers' compensation systems of the states. In any other industry employers through their carriers or insurance companies would be liable for disability and treatment related to work injuries even if the symptoms exist after separation from employment. The NFL had a nice scam going where their aged players were suffering but the League passed off the expenses to the individuals or, more likely, the taxpayer.
Posted By: TheIsland

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/03/13 04:43 PM

Another reason why the NFL settled the lawsuit was to keep private their records indicating that they had longstanding knowledge that cerebral injuries were producing long term symptoms and serious ailments.

The NFL has bargained out of the workers' compensation systems of the states. In any other industry employers through their carriers or insurance companies would be liable for disability and treatment related to work injuries even if the symptoms exist after separation from employment. The NFL had a nice scam going where their aged players were suffering but the League passed off the expenses to the individuals or, more likely, the taxpayer.

Klydon if you have the luxury to grab Mickey D's again, you shoulkd grab the crispy chicken ranch wrap shit ain't bad.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/03/13 09:46 PM

Yes, you sure got that right

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/04/13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TheIsland

Klydon if you have the luxury to grab Mickey D's again, you shoulkd grab the crispy chicken ranch wrap shit ain't bad.

Somebody else said that to me. when I pulled at the drive thru window, I was surprised by the extent of the menu. I only remembered the burgers, so I went with a quarter pounder.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/04/13 03:58 PM

Another thing is with all the trades, free agency, and players moving around all the time, it is hard to develop loyalty. Are we rooting for teams or just for uniforms of our home towns?
Posted By: TheIsland

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time - 09/04/13 05:40 PM

Another thing is with all the trades, free agency, and players moving around all the time, it is hard to develop loyalty. Are we rooting for teams or just for uniforms of our home towns?

I don't if it's just me but it seems 10 or 20 years back these guys were a lot tougher. They weren't pussies about small shit if they had to tough out the game to win it for the team they did it!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET