Home

Question about New York sports

Posted By: dontommasino

Question about New York sports - 05/31/12 03:51 PM

I was wondering if there was a geographic distribution to Mets/Yankees fans, Jets/Giants fans, etc.

For example, is one more likely to find Yankee fans or Mets fans in Staten Island, The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, etc?

Thanks.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Question about New York sports - 05/31/12 04:56 PM

Typically the Yankees-Giants are a fan group and Mets-Jets. One big reason is the origins of teams. The Giants played for many years at Yankee stadium and the Jets-Mets didn't exist. When Shea Stadium became the home of the Jets-Mets it was a natural melding, like the Yanks-Giants. The geographic association might be a bit more scattered, but basically Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island are physically closer Shea/Citi Field. Manhattan is in between. The Bronx, Jersey, upstate NY closer to Yankee Stadium.

I have a friend who grew up in the Bronx. He hates the Yankees because his father like them. Everyone has their reasons. I grew up in the era of Mickey Mantle, Yogi, Whitey Ford and in football, Frank Gifford was my hero.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Question about New York sports - 05/31/12 05:01 PM

Even though they moved out to LA decades ago, I understand that there are still a lot of Dodger fans in NY... is this true?
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Question about New York sports - 05/31/12 09:22 PM

Can I also ask what is the most popular sport in America? I was thinking NFL? I know more kids play soccer than anything but I mean in terms of fame and viewers?
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Question about New York sports - 05/31/12 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Can I also ask what is the most popular sport in America? I was thinking NFL? I know more kids play soccer than anything but I mean in terms of fame and viewers?

Football. No contest.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Question about New York sports - 05/31/12 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

Football. No contest.

Gotta agree with Nicky & Lilo... I like baseball but I love me a big Sunday full of the NFL and of course; Daaa Bearsss!

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 01:59 AM

Football has the universal appeal. Limited season; 16 games, then playoffs. Baseball is second, but it depends on the city.
Posted By: SC

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: dontommasino
For example, is one more likely to find Yankee fans or Mets fans in Staten Island, The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, etc?

Hard to answer that now. It was different when the Dodgers and Giants played in NYC along with the Yankees, but that was over 50 years ago.
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 03:44 AM

I think it's football for sure. Remember that NCAA ball is arguably more popular in some sports (particularly in the South) than NFL football! Gridiron football is probably the most popular sport between the US and Canada. Canadian football has many rule differences compared to American, but the general gist of it is the same. The CFL is the most popular sports league in Canada behind the NHL.

Quote:
Hard to answer that now. It was different when the Dodgers and Giants played in NYC along with the Yankees, but that was over 50 years ago.

What's interesting about this is that the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium were very close to each other. The boroughs were different, but that means they could draw fans from some of the same areas at the time.

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: dontommasino
What's interesting about this is that the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium were very close to each other. The boroughs were different, but that means they could draw fans from some of the same areas at the time.

The two stadiums were less than a mile apart. The fans for each of the three teams were different from each other and represented different types of people.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 03:16 PM

Nothing is set in stone. I've lived in the Bronx for over 50 years, and I'm a Mets fan. Conversely, my wife grew up in Massapequa, which is considered Mets territory, and she's a Yankees fan.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 07:41 PM

My dad grew up in the Bronx. However, his dad died when he was three and his mom worked, so he spent his summers with his aunts and uncles in Brooklyn, and his uncles used to take him to games all the time. Therefore, he was a Dodgers fan all the way. When they left NY, he and his landlord had a funeral wreath made and hung it on the door. The little old lady next door brought over a tray of food, thinking there had been a death in the family. When she found out it was over a baseball team, she tried to beat them with her umbrella (or maybe it was her cane).

Therefore, my father hated the Yankees. He eventually became a Mets fan (and therefore so is my oldest brother). My dad loved my husband, but he could never quite forgive him for being a Yankees fan, or me for defecting.

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
My dad grew up in the Bronx. However, his dad died when he was three and his mom worked, so he spent his summers with his aunts and uncles in Brooklyn, and his uncles used to take him to games all the time. Therefore, he was a Dodgers fan all the way.

Therefore, my father hated the Yankees.

My bala!!!!

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 07:48 PM

You hear that whirring sound? It's my dad spinning in his grave every time I cheer on the Yankees. wink
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 07:52 PM

My father still hates the Yankees at 82 years old lol. He grew up a huge NY Giants fan in East Harlem. Never forgave them for moving away, either.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/01/12 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Nothing is set in stone. I've lived in the Bronx for over 50 years, and I'm a Mets fan. Conversely, my wife grew up in Massapequa, which is considered Mets territory, and she's a Yankees fan.

Who said mixed marriages don't work.

Like you, I married a Yankee fan. If we didn't file for divorce during the 2008 series, I guess we never will.

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/02/12 02:09 AM

Speaking about NY sports..... Mets pitcher Johan Santana just finished a no-hitter against St. Louis.

It was the first no-hitter pitched by a Met. The first one in the team's 50 year history! (considering the Mets had the likes of Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan pitching for them, it makes the team's first one even more remarkable).

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/02/12 02:15 AM

We watched the last out. It was pretty exciting.

Re: Question about New York sports - 06/03/12 12:23 AM

Great moment for the Mets. They need all the good karma they can get.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET