Home

Mixed Martial Arts Mania

Posted By: Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel

Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/07/10 08:20 AM

i decided to make this thread, to discuss past and present fighters and fights. anythin thats K-1, Pride FC, Dream, M-1 Global, Pancrase, etc, feel free to talk about it here. anyone here do martial arts, or watch MMA?
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/07/10 12:38 PM

I watch WEC on Versus every now and then. My favorite fighter is probably Mike Brown. He keeps beating another one of my favorites Urijah Faber, who I used to think was the best fighter in WEC.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/07/10 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
I watch WEC on Versus every now and then. My favorite fighter is probably Mike Brown. He keeps beating another one of my favorites Urijah Faber, who I used to think was the best fighter in WEC.

cool man, do you ever watch "Inside MMA" with Bas Rutten?

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/07/10 11:08 PM

No. Never saw it. I hear Dana White all the time talking UFC on the Opie and Anthony Show.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/08/10 01:28 AM

One of my Nephews does MMA fights. When he lived in Michigan he had the light heavy weight title. He calls himself "The Punisher"

Here are a few pic's of him

That's my Brother and my Nephew

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/08/10 02:00 AM

thats very cool Mignon! what are your nephews' fightin styles? i went to one underground Vale Tudo event once, it was freakin wild....

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/08/10 02:31 AM

One of my co-workers kinda did it, but he's old school and did it "underground". He's a scary dude because he looks so harmless. In reality, he could kill me if he wanted to. wink
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/08/10 02:46 AM

Don't play fantasy sports with him then JL lol

Faber used to be my favorite..when he first came out he looked unstoppable, but I guess people caught up to him

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/08/10 03:43 AM

lol

I also think Faber wasn't healthy for a couple of fights.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/08/10 07:48 PM

it happens guys...most great fighters eventually break down, and go on losin streaks... havin to deal with gettin older, and after years of damage and injuries to thier bodies, very few fighters retire on top.
Posted By: veneratio

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 05/28/10 08:46 AM

Oh man, Sigel, MMA has become my life since discovering it...
I watched the 1st series of The Ultimate Fighter and then there was no MMA on tv etc over here and I found it again about 2 years ago! I'm looking up anything I can find everyday on MMA, I like that show on ESPN MMA News or something. Who are your favourite fighters?
What about you Lou and Don Michael?
Posted By: Lovecraft

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 06/23/10 02:54 PM

Been following mixed martial arts for a little over a year now. My room mate turned me onto it and is an amateur fight, studing primarily in muay-thai. Favourite fighters include Mirko Cro Cop, Roy Nelson and Clay Guida.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 10/16/10 08:03 AM

My favourites are Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar, Jon Bones Jones, Brandon Vera, BJ Penn, Diego Sanchez, Dan Hardy and Anderson Silva.
Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 10/25/10 07:18 PM

I CANNOT believe the monster Brock Lesnar got his ass kicked! Congrats to Cain Velasquez!

Not only is the kid the first Mexican MMA Heavyweight Champ ever, he's the first ever Mexican Heavyweight fighting Champion of any kind.

The knockout shot was a devastating knee Cain delivered to Lesnar's chest. How's your sternum, Brock?

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 10/25/10 08:34 PM

Crazy huh?
Cain definitely had the tools to do it, only thing that concerned me slightly was his size... That was all!
Wasn't a problem though huh?
He has fantastic striking! He was like a better Carwin that never tires out!
Brock certainly doesn't look confident exchanging punches in the pocket and he doesn't like getting hit at all, you see him really panic and crumple up. Well done Cain.

Be good to see Lesnar back better than ever though, work on his stand-up a bit. I really like the guy, he's a colourful character and he's growing up a bit lately.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 11/04/10 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Not only is the kid the first Mexican MMA Heavyweight Champ ever, he's the first ever Mexican Heavyweight fighting Champion of any kind.]

Riiiiight.

Cain isn't Mexican, he's an American, born and raised in California. His ethnicity is being exploited/ promoted so that Dana White and the UFC can solidify a market in Mexico for their first show in the country, sometime in 2011

Cain isn't even the first Heavyweight champ of Mexican Decent. That would be Ricco Rodriguez.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 11/05/10 08:47 AM

Cain calls himself Mexican-American, he is American by birth but he is 100% of Mexican heritage as both parents are Mexican where as Ricco Rodriguez (who is also American born) is half Mexican and half Puerto Rican.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 11/05/10 11:31 AM

Okay, so? You agree he isn't Meixcan?

Both my parents are Italian but I would never say that I was an Italian.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 11/05/10 11:39 AM

I know what you mean... But, I don't know haha. It's a grey area.
He could say he is Mexican as he is of 100% Mexican blood, but, he was born in the states.
I agree he is American but he is also Mexican. But really he is a first generation American.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 11/08/10 01:32 AM

Here is a flyer of my Nephew's upcoming fight. He's the 2nd from the right. I can't wait!!!

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 11/08/10 09:59 PM

Oh awesome Mig! You going along to watch?
Does it make you super nervous?
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 01/17/11 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Lovecraft
Okay, so? You agree he isn't Meixcan?

Both my parents are Italian but I would never say that I was an Italian.

if both your parents are full italians then you are italian as well ;P

as for MMA, I guess we are about to see one of the greatest fights ever - Anderson Silva vs. Victor Belfort in early february if I'm not mistaken.

and Mig, how did your nephew do?

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/06/11 02:12 PM

wow Anderson Silva just knocked out Victor Belfort in the first round! the guy is invincible I think.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/08/11 08:53 PM

the whole fight is on youtube already. if I was watching it live I would guess that Belfort was dead after the Steven Seagal-front kick.

the next time Silva is due to defend his title UFC should allow the defendant to carry a gun into the cage or maybe let Silva fight 2 guys at the same time lol

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 12/14/11 02:43 PM

did anyone in here watch UFC 140 last saturday night?

the main and co-main events ended up with bonebreaking and strangulation. there have been many many nasty scenes in MMA history but seeing Lyoto Machida dropping lifelessly on the floor after Jon Jones standing guillotine choke seems to have been more shocking than other finishes.

some of the people who were with me saturday instantly developed a bigger-than-life hate for Jones and even long time MMA followers seem to be especially shocked.

what is funny is that the blame might be entirely on my fellow countrymen who refused to tap out. in this article the author suggests that the UFC should somehow punish the guys who allow thatr kinda scene to happen. and the guys who caused the damage were just doing their job!

I believe this is an interesting discussion especially if you remeber that UFC is branching into primetime TV and if it was an UFC on Fox event the majority of the public would be outraged.
Posted By: Nova24

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/20/12 01:12 AM

I'm pretty much obsessed with MMA.
Favorite fighters are: Silva, Penn, Shogun, Diaz, Machida, Edgar, Velasquez.
I'm also a Jon Jones hater.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/20/12 08:21 AM

Tony I have only just seen the footage of Jones and Machida now... Not entirely pretty huh?

I think Jon Jones is great to watch, an amazing style and very skilled but don't like him that much personally, will be rooting for Rashad when they fight. Think a loss will do Jones a favour.

My favourites are: Brandon Vera, Diego Sanchez, Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez, Josh Koscheck, Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/20/12 03:55 PM

sometimes it's a bitch to find a particular fight but Jones vs. Machida must be on youtube by now.

as for Jon Jones he's obviously a beast in the cage but I don't find his style all that great to watch. he uses a lot of elbows which don't bring much to the fight other than cutting just like he did with Machida.

I don't like Rashad either and after his last awful fight in the awful UFC on Fox 2 I don't see how he could beat Jones. one day somebody will, though, and then he suddenly won't look invincible anymore. all it takes is one beating to crush your confidence, like it happened with Wanderlei Silva and Cro Cop for instance.
Posted By: Nova24

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/20/12 08:37 PM

Rashad had 3 broken ribs going into the Davis fight. It wasn't flashy but he got the job done. I'm not sure he can beat Jones, but I'm praying he does.

And I had Machida winning the 1st Round against Jones.
Jones couldn't find his range and really didn't land anything.
I think that cut was what fucked Machida. Some guys just don't react well to getting opened up.
And I still think Machida is the guy to beat Jones. I'd like to see him get another chance.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/21/12 11:14 AM

Yeah Tony, also like what happened to Cain Velasquez... I thought he would reign for quite some time before he lost to JDS, imagine he'll be back better than ever though.

I didn't know Rashad had three broken ribs, would have been complete agony. Wasn't the best fight at all but great effort considering. Will be interesting as they both know each others styles so well. Rashad has that advantage over the competition but of course Jones knows as much about him.

Some good fights on this weekend with UFC 144, Ben Henderson vs Frankie Edgar will be interesting. Also Bader against Rampage.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/21/12 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Nova24
(...) And I had Machida winning the 1st Round against Jones.
Jones couldn't find his range and really didn't land anything.
I think that cut was what fucked Machida. Some guys just don't react well to getting opened up.
And I still think Machida is the guy to beat Jones. I'd like to see him get another chance.

that's the scary thing - Machida seemed to match up perfectly against Jones and he gave Jones a challenge like Jones hadn't had yet but the young guy still finished the former champion without taking a sweat.

I believe that cut took a huge part in the outcome of the fight. besides how you personally react to it, a cut like that messes up your vision and Jones is the kind of guy that is always rubbing his hand or even his fingers in your face -- when he's not throwing elbows left and right - I also hope Machida puts together another good run and gets a title shot again; his awkward skillset might be the best chance to get at Jones.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/27/12 08:37 AM

You guys watch UFC 144?
Was pretty unimpressed with Akiyama and Shields, thought Akiyama would take advantage on the feet more, Shields looked horrific on his feet!
Was stoked about NZ's Mark Hunt knocking out Kongo but would not have put money on it haha.
Jackson was carrying an injury but still looked less than impressive against Bader, hope to see him back but could be just about time to hang up the gloves.
As for the main event, was absolutely rooting for Frankie but... Felt Henderson deserved the win. I'm sure that Frankie's face made the fight look more decisive than it was though as the striking was a closer contest than I thought stats-wise. What did you guys think?

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/05/12 06:31 PM

finally watched UFC 144 last weekend. I'm too cheap to buy the PPV's nowadays since there are too many events and many of them are crap.

Rampage looked terrible and he's probably done. Edgar vs. Henderson was great though and in my opinion Bendo won it easily. how many strikes did he land right into Frankie's face? Edgar is more tough than he's good and basing your fighting on takedowns doesn't impress me at all.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 03/06/12 09:58 PM

Yeah Tony, apparently Rampage has said he will have one more fight in the UFC and that's it.
I agree, it's dangerous for Frankie to take that much punishement every fight. I think he needs to drop down to Featherweight. I know he beat BJ Penn twice, Maynard but I just think he would go better at featherweight. We will see, I know he's been offered a title-shot at Jose Aldo but if anyone deserves a rematch at the lightweight tile, he does so we'll see what he decides.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 02/16/13 02:34 PM

lol by now Frankie has rematched Bendo, dropped to featherweight to face Jose Aldo and he lost both. guy is in a crossroads now.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 04/21/13 12:23 AM

I just Laid $50 on Gilbert Melendez.

Now I gotta watch it. Oowffa.

DP
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 04/21/13 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: DuesPaid
I just Laid $50 on Gilbert Melendez.

Now I gotta watch it. Oowffa.

DP

should have just saved yourself the trouble and flushed it down the toilet! lol
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 04/21/13 02:28 AM

a very close fight, i gave henderson a slight edge, but i would have to go back and score it. gilbert fought better than i thought, and he was much more physically imposing than i expected.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Mania - 04/21/13 02:31 AM

Oh Well, Crowd booing the decision.

Yes, very close and I guess I will take my chances for the rematch and double up the bet.

DP
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET