Home

2005-06 NBA Season

Posted By: plawrence

2005-06 NBA Season - 11/04/05 06:49 AM

Scoring seems to be up.....The East finally looks stronger than the West.....My Nets were horrible on opening night.
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/05/05 02:47 AM

Well, my Raptors are 0 - 2 to start the season but there are some signs of hope. Our young guns have been firing on all cylinders and I don't think that we will be a pushover for any of the playoff teams this season. A couple of things that I think will happen this year: 1 - Jose Calderon or Charlie Villanueva will win the R.O.Y. Award, 2 - Vince Carter will most likely have his annual injury either right before or right after the All Star break and 3 - The San Antonio Spurs will not repeat as World Champions because the Miami Heat will beat them in the Finals.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/05/05 03:10 PM

The Wizards are 2-0. That's good, but as they say, it's a looooooooooooooong season. I watched the first half of the Wizards/Knicks game. The Wizards were walking all over The Knicks in the first quarter. And in their house. Of course, in true Wizards fashion they fell apart in the second quarter, but still managed a win, even if it was a low scoring game. I guess plaw would consider that a "lucky" win. Either way, Larry Brown can't be too pleased this morning.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/05/05 03:21 PM

There was nothing "lucky" about it. The Knicks just plain stink (which is fine with me, BTW )

(N.B.: what makes the wins "lucky" or the losses "tough" in fantasy football is the fact that unlike in real sports, your defense has no control over your opponent's score)

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/08/05 02:46 AM

It may look like the Raptors are playing lousy but we're actually going for the 0 - 82 perfect season. Seriously though, Rob Babcock needs to get rid of Loren Woods, Aaron Williams, Rafael Araujo, Eric Williams and maybe even Matt Bonner. If we can get a decent Center and a 1st round draft pick for the whole lot of them Babcock should pull the trigger and make the deal.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/08/05 03:00 AM

PLaw's Nets lose a heartbreaker to DA's Heat, 90-89.

Wonderful defensive play by D. Wade at the end.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/08/05 03:09 AM

Wonderful non-call by the ref as Carter got fouled at the end. :rolleyes:

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/20/05 10:26 PM

The Toronto Raptors win! The Raptors win! Against Miami no less!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/21/05 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
The Toronto Raptors win! The Raptors win! Against Miami no less!
The Raps got two first-rounders from the Nets in the Carter deal.

Of the three players they got, Mourning is gone, and you propose getting rid of Aaron and Eric Williams.

Unfortunately, these guys have basically no value. Maybe a second-rounder from a contender who could use some help up front, but that's about it.

And second-rounders aren't worth much in today's 30 team N.B.A., altho if the Raps finish with the worst record, a second-rounder could be the 31st pick.

I do like the way Villanueva and Calderon looked in the one game I saw them, and their boxscores look good in the games that I didn't see, so maybe you guys have a future.

Hard to believe, though, that at one time they had both McGrady and Carter on the same team.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/21/05 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence: Hard to believe, though, that at one time they had both McGrady and Carter on the same team.
Yup, we've been through some triumph and a lot of hurt in our young life as an NBA franchise. We had Marcus Camby, Doug Christie, Keon Clark, Antonio Davis, Mark Jackson, Donyell Marshall, Lamond Murray and Damon Stoudamire not to mention those two other guys. You put all those players together minus Carter and T-Mac and you've got a playoff team. You put all those players together with Carter and McGrady and you've got a Championship contender.

Looking at the situation today, Raptor management has to realize that the future of the team is Chris Bosh, Jose Calderon, Joey Graham, Morris Peterson and Charlie Villanueva. As far as I'm concerned Rafael Araujo, Matt Bonner, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams and Loren Woods are dead weight. We should swap all of them either together or separately for whoever is available.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/22/05 02:49 AM

You sound like a real fan, and a knowledgable one too, Don J.

Have you ever checked out this site?:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php

They have a separate message board for each NBA team, and most of the discussions are fairly intelligent.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/22/05 03:35 AM

Thanks for the compliments plaw, and thanks for the link! I've only given it a cursory lookover but from what I've seen this will be a very good resource. The beauty of the site is that it has MLB, NHL (coming soon), and NFL sections in addition to the NBA one. Thanks again!
Posted By: Raulito

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/22/05 06:11 PM

Wizards baby, all the way! We don't need Larry, we are better off without him. We will make 4th or 5th seed this year, and we'll win!! GO WIZ!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 11/30/05 01:38 AM

I thought that this was pretty funny and some of you might get a kick out of it. From Toronto Star sports reporter Dave Feschuck referring to Jalen Rose of the Raptors: "The 32-year-old veteran has been awful in every thing but the press conference. He's shooting 17 per cent from three-point range. There are War of 1812-era muskets that fire more accurately."

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/01/05 04:59 PM

Must be tough being a fan of the 1-15 Raps these days, huh?

They play the Nets on Saturday.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/01/05 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:Must be tough being a fan of the 1-15 Raps these days, huh?
You've no idea. My brother and I went to the game against Dallas on Monday and to lose after being so close to beating a quality team was really deflating. That's the story of our season so far, we always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I guess its a very good thing that we're playing the Atlanta Hawks tommorrow.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/04/05 07:01 AM

Yes! The Raptors beat the Nets! I didn't get to see the game cuz I went to see Syriana (great film by the way) but I just checked nba.com and I couldn't believe my eyes! The final score was 95 - 82 and Chris Bosh had 29 points, 1 block shot, 2 assists and 13 rebounds. He was also 15 of 16 (94%) at the free throw line! Bring on Washington baby!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/20/05 03:22 AM

The Toronto Raptors Win! The Raptors Win! Granted, it was only against Orlando but it is truly sweet to beat any team with Steve Francis on its roster. 92 - 90! Put that in your pipe and smoke it "Stevie Franchise!"

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/20/05 09:37 AM

What do you have against Francis, DJ?

Not that I'm a big fan of his; I traded for him on one of my fantasy teams, and since I got him he's sucked, but he was never on the Raps, was he?

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/20/05 11:08 PM

No, he didn't play for the Raptors but he was originally drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies and fussed over how he didn't want to play in Canada. I also recall an interview some time ago where he mocked Canadians and gave his best "hoser" impression. He gets booed every time he touches the ball at the Air Canada Centre and he should be booed in every NBA city. He didn't want to play in a place that I'm almost convinced he knows nothing about. He's an overrated, untalented, ignorant pissant and it looks like he always will be. Steve Francis is a dimwitted, moronic, idiot, not to mention a very poor basketball player. Fu** him, Antonio Davis, Alonzo Mourning and the horses they rode in on!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/20/05 11:17 PM

So I guess you don't like him, huh?

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/20/05 11:22 PM

Yeah, you could say that.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/21/05 07:01 AM

Jeez, Kobe scores a carerr-high 62 points tonight in just 3 quarters! Imagine what he would have finished with had he played the fourth

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/22/05 04:09 AM

A great road win for the Raptors tonight against T-Mac and the Houston Rockets. Mike James was the player of the game, Chris Bosh had 17 points, 1 block, 2 steals, 3 assists and 8 rebounds, and Morris Peterson and Joey Graham had solid games as well. Also, Jose "El Matador" Calderon continues to play well, he had 6 points, 2 steals, 7 assists and 3 rebounds. I don't know whether I'm happier that the Raptors won or that Rafer Alston had to watch it all on the Rocket bench, either way its pretty good. It's just too bad that we have San Antonio on Friday and the Pistons on Tuesday. At least we get to play the Atlanta "Rocks" the next day.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/22/05 04:15 AM

Oh my goodness, the East better beware of these Miami Heats. They're gonna tear up the place and there's no stopping the machine now. Go Riles!
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/22/05 04:56 AM

They'll lose to Detroit in the playoffs again

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/22/05 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
They'll lose to Detroit in the playoffs again
Excuse me, is that a Knicks fan talking?? :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/25/05 11:13 PM

Wow, Gary Payton had 21 pts, 2 st and 2 reb against the Lakers. The guy is 37 and he shows no signs of slowing down. At this rate it looks like he could play until he's 45! Payton is a first ballot Hall of Famer in my book.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 12/31/05 03:10 AM

A great win for the Raptors tonight against a quality team. The Pacers were without Ron Artest (that's another post for another thread) but we had injuries to Jose Calderon and Joey Graham. Mike James had 19 Points, 1 Steal, 10 Assists, and 5 Rebounds. Morris Peterson had 16 pts, 2 blocks, 3 steals and 4 rebounds and Chris Bosh was good for 22 pts, 2 steals, 4 assists and 12 rebounds. And Charlie Villanueva, this kid is a real treat to watch. He had 25 pts, 1 steal, 1 assist and 10 rebounds. If Charlie V. played in Los Angeles, New York or Boston he would be well known to absolutely every one who follows basketball.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/04/06 03:36 AM

Chris Bosh had 27 points, 1 block, 3 assists and 12 rebounds tonight. Why are Tayshaun Prince, Grant Hill, Paul Pierce, Chris Webber, Ron Artest, Rasheed Wallace and Jermaine O'Neal ahead of him in the A.S. voting? Bosh for Prime Minister...er...I mean NBA All Star!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/04/06 03:51 AM

One of the reasons is they lump all the forwards together on the ballot.

Prince is not even close to Bosh, IMO, nor is Hill (injured most of the year) or Rasheed. Pierce is having a great year, but he plays al lot of off-guard as well as forward.

O'Neal is having a good year, but he plays a lot of center, also.

Webber is the only true power forward who is having a year comparable to Bosh.

Any chance the Nets can steal him like they did Vince? He happens to be exactly what the Nets need.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/04/06 04:11 AM

:rolleyes:
Well as long as Rob Babcock is manager of the Raptors you may get your wish P.L. Seriously though, of course LBJ is gonna be the starting Forward for the East but CB4 should be a backup Forward. Also Mike James is making a case for a trip to Houston. He's averaging 15.4 ppg, 4.5 apg, 3.1 rpg, is shooting 82% from the Free Throw line and is averaging close to 41% in 3-point field goal percentage.....Too bad he's not on the ballot.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/04/06 04:29 AM

Bosh absolutely deserves a spot, along with Lebron, Jefferson, O'Neal, Pierce, and Webber.

But James has no shot, and doesn't really deserve it, against Arenas, Billups, Carter, Iverson, Kidd, and Wade.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/05/06 02:52 AM

The Toronto Raptors win! The Raptors win! That's 4 in a row, and with our next game against the less than mediocre Houston Rockets 5 in a row looks like a real possiblity. Chris Bosh had an off game tonight but Charlie Villanueva and Mike James picked up the slack. Villanueva had 24 points, 1 block, 1 steal and 1 rebound. He was the rookie of the month for Dec. and is the early Rookie of the Year favourite. James had another solid game with 17 pts, 2 stls, 7 asts and 2 rebs. He may not be an all-star this year but if he can improve his game just a bit then he could be one next year. I just hope that Jose Calderon comes back soon so he can feed off the energy of the other players and start having some 10 - 15 assist games.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/07/06 01:16 AM

Juwan Howard is an imbecilic, moronic, loser, crybaby! What the hell kinda name is "Juwan" anyway?!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/07/06 02:34 AM

The Toronto Raptors have won 5 games in a row! This may not seem like that many to teams like Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas and Miami but for us its a big deal. Nearly every player in the lineup played exceptionally well.

Mike James - 30 points, 1 steal, 8 assists, 7 rebounds

Chris Bosh - 22 pts, 1 stl, 3 blk, 1 ast, 16 reb

Charlie Villanueva - 21 pts, 2 blk, 1 ast, 4 reb

Morris "Mr. Raptor" Peterson - 19 pts, 1 stl, 3 ast, 6 reb

Jalen Rose - 10 pts, 2 ast

It's gonna be close against New Jersey on Sunday but after that we should be able to beat Chicago and the Bobcats with ease.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/08/06 08:44 PM

And the Nets have now won 10 in a row.

Some game today, huh?

Carter wins it with a three-pointer with .1 seconds left.

Toronto is what, 10-8 now since their 1-15 start?

The can definitely make the playoffs, and I wouln't have given ten cents for thir chances when they were 1-15. They're only about 3 or 4 games out of the eighth spot, I think.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/08/06 09:03 PM

This afternoon's game was definitely something! But I think the game was tainted a bit by the less than stellar officiating, I mean what the hell was the ref. thinking?! Morris Peterson could've been the difference in the 4th quarter but because he was horsing around with V.C., and Steve Javie is blind as a bat he gets his 2nd tech. and is tossed from the game. Also, what was with the tech. given to Sam Mitchell?! And I really think that that play near the end of the game where Carter ended up at the line and Villanueva got called for the foul should have been a charge on Carter and Raptor ball. It's a shame that Jose Calderon missed that free throw that could have put us up by 3 points. If he had hit it, Carter's 3 pointer would have sent the game to O.T. instead of winning it for the Nets. Although, I must admit if the Nets shot better from the f.t. line this game could have been a lot less closer than it was. Congrats to the Nets I guess, but watch out on March 4th..

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/08/06 09:17 PM

To tell you the truth, I didn't see the game. I was watching football, and put it in TV just in time for Carter's game-winning shot.

But I was listening to a little bit of the post-game show on the radio, and even the Nets anoouncers claimed that Peterson and VC - former teammates, obviously - were just fooling around and peterson should not have been tossed.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/15/06 09:09 PM

Wow! Whatta game today for The Toronto Raptors! The New York Knicks got whacked by The Raptors 129 - 103! The 129 points is a franchise record for Canada's team. Pretty much every player on the squad played exceptionally well.

Jalen Rose - 31 points, 1 block shot, 2 steals, 6 assists, 2 rebounds

Morris Peterson - 28 p, 4 a, 1 reb

Chris Bosh - 23 p, 1 blk, 1 stl, 1 a, 6 reb

Charlie Villanueva - 15 p, 1 blk, 1 a, 6 reb

Jose "El Matador" Calderon - 13 p, 2 stl, 10 a, 4 reb.

All this with Mike James out with back spasms, imagine if he actually played in the game! Sam Mitchell should take the entire team out for dinner at Wayne Gretzky's on Blue Jays Way, because they made him look really, really good. What was especially sweet about this afternoon's game was that Antonio Davis only had 2 points in about 14 minutes. Bring on Utah!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/23/06 05:16 AM

Well, Kobe Bryant beat the Raptors tonight. I must admit I don't think I have ever seen a single game performance like this by anyone in all my years of watching basketball. We were up by nearly 20 points at ht and then in the 2nd half he caught fire. He hit like 3 three pointers in a row and then got a three point play at one point. Credit where credit is due.

81 points, 1 block shot, 3 steals, 2 assists, 6 rebounds

If anyone needs me I'm gonna be on ebay looking for Kobe Bryant rookie cards.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/23/06 09:22 PM

Fucking 81 points, unbelievable!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 01/30/06 04:16 AM

A great win for The Raptors tonight against that weirdo Ron Artest and the Sacramento Kings 124 - 123. Point totals:

Morris Peterson - 23 Points, 3 Steals, 4 Assists, 10 Rebounds

Mike James - 22 pts, 3 stls, 4 asts, 6 rebs

Chris Bosh - 21 pts, 1 blk, 1 stl, 3 ast, 9 rebs

Charlie Villanueva - 18 pts, 1 stl, 7 rebs

Jalen Rose - 13 pts, 3 asts, 2 rebs

And another solid game by Jose "El Matador" Calderon who had 9 points and 5 assists in under 18 minutes. Bring on Washington!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/02/06 03:07 AM

Good win for us tonight against the Washington Wizards.

Chris ``The All-Star`` Bosh: 33 Points, 1 Block Shot, 4 Assists, 13 Rebounds

Mike James: 29 P, 1 S, 4 A, 1 R

Charlie ``Rookie Of The Year`` Villanueva: 18 P, 4 B, 1 A, 9 R

Jalen Rose: 14 P, 4 A, 4 R

Morris Peterson: 12 P, 1 S, 3 A, 3 R

With the N.Y. Knicks next we should be able to get a nice three gamer going but it might come to an end against a tough L.A. Clipper team. Go Raptors!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/04/06 03:06 AM

Chris Bosh had 29 Points, 1 Block Shot, 1 Steal, 2 Assists and 7 Rebounds and he was 15 of 17 (88%) from the Free Throw line in tonight's win against the Knicks! Bosh is having the best year of his young career and he will only get better. He is averaging 22.6 PPG, 1.09 BPG, 2.5 APG, 9.1 RPG and is shooting close to 82% from the F.T. line. If he played for the Knicks, Lakers, Spurs or Pistons this man would not only be starting in the All-Star Game he would be a contender for top vote getter. What gives?!

Oh yeah and by the way, Charlie Villanueva scored 18, had 1 Assist and 9 Rebounds tonight. This kid is on fire but he gets no credit whatsoever. If he played for any of the above mentioned teams he would already have won the Rookie Of the Year award and the rest of the season would just be a formality. :rolleyes:
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/04/06 04:11 AM

Villanueva is having a good year but he is not better than Chris Paul.
Paul is carrying a mediocre team to a pretty decent record

Villanueva-*not a starter* 12ppg 5rpb 1apg 1bpg

Paul-*Starter* 17ppg 5.6rpg 7.5apg 1bpg

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/04/06 08:20 AM

See what you learn from fantasy sports, DM?

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/05/06 09:37 PM

Chris Bosh had 29 Points, 1 Block Shot, 6 Assists and 16 Rebounds this afternoon in a losing effort against the Los Angeles Clippers in Over Time. Jermaine O'Neal however, is starting in the All Star Game in Houston. Comparing O'Neal to Bosh is like comparing a 12-year-old boy to a 21-year-old man in his prime. O'Neal does not deserve to start in the A.S. Game, Bosh does.

Charlie Villanueva had 14 Pts., 1 Ast. and 6 Rebs. in today's game. I can see where people who say Chris Paul is better than Charlie V. are coming from although I think that the V-Man has much more potential and could be a 20 Point/10 Rebound guy who plays great defense. Guys like that are very highly valued in the NBA.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/05/06 11:04 PM

I don't know who will start, but I do know that O'Neal won't.

He's been out with a groin injury for about a week, and is expected to miss another six weeks or so.

And you call yourself a basketball fan? :rolleyes:

Do you follow anything else in the game besides the Raps? :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 03:37 AM

Lol! Yes, I was aware of O'Neal's injury and I don't know why I thought he would start the All Star Game..My point was that he was voted in as a starter (whether he will miss the game due to injury or not) when he clearly didn't deserve to be. And by the way, I was a Basketball fan for quite a few years before the Raptors came into the NBA (1995) and with the way they are playing this year it looks like I'm gonna have to search for some other things to shoot my mouth off on.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 03:52 AM

I know all about suffering, since I was a Nets fan from the late '70's when they were winning ABA titles with Dr. J, and then a 25 year drought with barely a whiff of a good team.

Bosh is a great young player, and in a few years he and Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire will likely be the three best big men in the NBA.

Imagine Bosh now with VC ( :p ), along with Calderon and Valanueva.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 03:57 AM

Villanueva might (MIGHT) have more potential than Chris Paul but Villa plays with Bosh, James and even Peterson who teams have to contend with. Paul plays with a very iffy David West, more attention can and is given to Paul than Villanueva, so this early in their career it is very hard to say who has more potential or who is better.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 04:13 AM

That's a good point DonMichaelCorleone, The Raptors do have much more talent and a brighter future than the New Orleans Hornets so naturally more attention would be paid to Chris Paul than to Charlie Villanueva. I can't really think of anyone on The Hornets who I would like to see on The Raptors other than Paul, Desmond Mason or maybe Speedy Claxton.

As for thinking about Chris Bosh playing alongside Vince Carter (better known as The Rat in Toronto), Jose "El Matador" Calderon and Charlie V. I'd rather not, as I fear my head would explode into a million pieces if I even tried thinking about it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 04:16 AM

Don Jasani, when I said more attention is paid to Chris Paul I meant defensively not in the media

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 04:27 AM

Hold on DMC, I knew exactly what you meant. This is a perfect example of how its quite easy for lines to get crossed over the internet. My understanding of what you said is that because the Hornets don't have as many offensive threats as the Raptors more (defensive) attention is paid to Paul. If Paul was playing with a Bosh, or a Mike James, or a Morris Peterson or a Jose Calderon on his team, opposing teams would have to re-evaluate their defensive tactics when dealing with the Hornets. Since Paul and Mason pretty much run the show in N.O. there really is no one else to focus on for opposing teams, and you can basically double team both of them and take your chances with their other players.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 04:35 AM

ok yes that is what I meant. I only watch the Raptors when they play the Nets so is Villa creating his own shots or is he simply the person not being guarded?

Also Desmond Mason is a very big disappointment this year and I personally wouldn't count him as a big threat. I think a team is more willing to leave him open than say Claxton or West.

Didn't Kobe go through huge droughts when Shaq would be injured because he had a hard time creating his shots?

I don't like the Rookie of the Year award because it's hard to compare someone who goes to the Hornets and almost has to start to someone who goes to the Spurs or Pistons or Heat and have no chance of getting more than 10 minutes.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/06/06 04:55 AM

Well, the story on Villanueva goes pretty much like this: When he was drafted nearly everyone who had an opinion on anything related to the NBA thought the Raptors made a huge mistake and he would not be able to play with Bosh. The mood in Toronto was pretty much the same (I reserved judgment until he began playing though, and I'm glad I did) although we were quite jaded after drafting Rafael "The Big Useless" Araujo in 2004.

When he started out Charlie V. was playing exceptionally well when looking at what was expected of him. He knew he wasn't going to start and play 40 mins. a game but he also knew that the Raptors and their fans would treat him well if he performed at a reasonably good level. The V-Man was taking shots, creating opportunities for others, playing very good defense (for a rookie anyway) and basically overacheiving. Although the Raps were playing horrendously the bright spots were Villanueva and Jose Calderon. Although Calderon's play has dropped off quite a bit Villanueva (who did go through dry spells of his own) has mostly kept up his solid play. From the beginning of the season he was always playing hard inside and on defense and wasn't just a dead body (Araujo) on the floor but recently he has stepped up his outside game and increased his court presence to a great degree. Obviously I'm not unbiased in this matter but I really think that the R.O.Y. race is between Villanueva and Paul until any of the other freshman can prove themselves. I mean Andrew Bogut has played relatively well but he hasn't lived up to the enormous expectations placed on him. Channing Frye, Deron Williams, Sarunas J., Luther Head and Nate Robinson are playing well, but in my opinion, the race is between Villanueva and Paul.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/26/06 06:21 AM

Whatta collapse! Whatta freaking, pispoor, shameful way to close out a basketball game against a team that was admittedly much better, but that we should have beat. The Raptors were winning by like 15 or 18 points against The Dallas Mavericks in the 4th quarter and with like 8 to 6 mins. left we just stopped playing. Mike James could have and probably should have finished the game off in the last few seconds before over time but the layup went in and out. Ok, over time comes and we had some sparks and were even leading by one at a point, but then Dirk "The Jerk" Nowitzki (he's an amazing player and by all indications a really nice guy but I just like calling him Dirk "The Jerk" cuz he's been such a Raptor Killer) sealed it with brilliant shot.

It's sad really, cuz my Brother and I were at the game vs. Dallas at The Air Canada Centre early on in the season and we lost that one in the last seconds by two points too. We've got Miami next so it looks like another loss but I sure hope not.

Point totals:

Chris Bosh - 29 Points, 1 Block Shot, 2 Assists, 13 Rebounds

Mike James - 25 Pts., 7 Asts., 3 Rebs.

Charlie "Rookie Of the Year" Villanueva - 23 Pts., 1 Stl., 1 Ast., 7 Rebs.

Morris Peterson - 20 Pts., 1 Blk., 1 Ast., 5 Rebs.

Jose "El Matador" Calderon - 8 Pts., 1 Stl., 3 Asts., 3 Rebs.

I don't care if I sound like a homer or whatever, but Chris Bosh should get some serious M.V.P. consideration at the end of the year, but watch him get like 1 vote cuz he plays here. I guess you have to be in The NBA as an organization for at least 25 years in order to be given any respect. Hey, we've only got 15 more to go. :rolleyes:

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/26/06 09:41 AM

Villanueva isn't gonna win ROY.

Paul, Felton, and possibly Bogut will finish ahead of him.

And still in contention to beat him out, depending on who the rest of the season goes, are Granger and Frye.

Even if he finishes real strong, he's not beating Chris Paul.

Homer. :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/26/06 03:41 PM

I saw Miami (I think Miami) scoring 136 points, a season record.

Can someone tell me what the all-time record is, and who made it?

And what is the all-time record of the least scores in one game?

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/26/06 04:10 PM

Highest scoring: Dec. 13, 1983 Detroit Pistons 186 - Denver Nuggets 184 in triple overtime.

I'm not too sure about the lowest scoring game but I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/28/06 03:50 PM

Hey p.l., Charlie V. had 16 Points, 2 Steals, 1 Assist and 11 Rebounds yesterday. His total statistics to date are 700 Points, 40 Block Shots, 41 Steals, 48 Assists and 305 Rebounds. Chris Paul has less Blocks (yeah, he's a Guard I know), and less Rebounds (yeah, he's a Guard I know), and he's only averaging about what, 4 more Points Per Game? I think that if Villanueva keeps playing like he can and The Raptors win a few more games, come the end of the season the Rookie Of the Year race is gonna be pretty interesting. Oh yeah and Chris Bosh had 19 Pts., 1 Blk., 3 Stls., 3 Asts. and 7 Rebs. last night. I guess we all have off nights though eh? :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/28/06 04:09 PM

There's no way Paul is not gonna get ROY.

He's leading his team into the playoffs in the difficult West where they didn't figure to have a shot.

And scoring is always the most important category which the voters look at - without looking, I'd bet that 75% of the time the ROY is also the leading rookie scorer - and a three point difference in scoring average is a lot when one guy is averaging 16 PPG and the other only 13.

Unless Paul gets injured, or Charlie suddenly starts averaging 18 and 8 or 9 or something the rest of the way, the race is over already.

Don't get me wrong, he's good. I wish the Nets had him.

But he's not the ROY.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 02/28/06 04:23 PM

I see your point Neal. I don't have to like it, but I do see it. :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/02/06 08:23 AM

I don't understand why we are playing such shitty basketball and why we can't beat such shitty teams that (even) we should beat. When a team loses to the Atlanta Jokes by two points in overtime, then there's a serious problem. I hope Mr. Colangelo can whip up some of his magic.

Point totals:

Chris Bosh - 27 Points, 2 Block Shots, 2 Steals, 5 Assists, 6 Rebounds

Charlie "R.O.Y." Villanueva - 25 Pts., 2 Blks., 2 Stls., 2 Asts., 11 Rebs.

Morris Peterson - 21 Pts., 2 Stls., 3 Asts., 4 Rebs.

Mike James - 21 Pts., 2 Stls., 4 Asts., 2 Rebs.

Matt "The Red Rocket" Bonner - 8 Pts., 2 Rebs.

If Villanueva can play like this every night out and we can actually manage to win a game or two, I don't care, the Rookie Of the Year award is his to lose. The only thing I'm worried about is that with his brilliant season so far I hope that he doesn't suffer from the dreaded sophmore jinx next year.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/04/06 10:20 PM

FUCK! Why, oh why, can't we close out basketball games? Either in regulation or in Over Time we always find a way to fuck it all up. I was listening to today's game in the car while I was out with my old man and hearing that we pissed another lead away was some infuriating stuff. Sam Mitchell will most probably get fired after this season if Mr. Colangelo thinks that he can rebuild the team with a high drafting position, a new head coach, lots of practice/training/conditioning and the prayers of millions of Torontonians and Canadians.

Although I certainly respect his ability as a basketballer,
I hate Vince Carter's guts! I'm sorry to say this for Net fans, but I hope that N.J. does not win a playoff game as long as they have Carter on their squad. If The Nets get rid of Carter and they win The Championship the next year, I will be proud for Jason Kidd, Jefferson and the rest of the classy N.J. squad. Carter belongs on a team like The Knicks along with that idiot Steve Francis and Stephan Marburry.

Point Totals:

Morris Peterson - 25 P, 3 A, 5 R

Chris Bosh - 23 P, 1 B, 4 A, 11 R

Mike James 22 P, 1 S, 7 A, 3 R

Charlie "R.O.Y." Villanueva - 14 P, 3 A, 11 R

Matt "The Red Rocket" Bonner - 14 P, 1 B, 1 S, 5 R

The team played well today, but hopefully we can play well enough for a win tmmw. against The Boston Celtics.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/09/06 02:46 AM

The Raps lose another heartbreaker close game to a team that we should've beat. Whatta shocker?! :rolleyes:

At least Chris "M.V.P.?" Bosh had 15 Points, 1 Block Shot, 1 Steal, 2 Assists and 14 Rebounds and Mike James and Morris Peterson combined for 61 Pts. You fantasy nuts should take a closer look at The Raptors..

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/18/06 03:51 AM

Chris Bosh is The Man! CB4 for PM!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/18/06 04:27 PM

Detroit lost to NY, 105-102 I think. Weird...

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/18/06 08:24 PM

Enzo I've said this to people all season, The Pistons will not win The Championship. Although now that I've said it on the BB watch them win like three in a row or something. :rolleyes:

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 03/27/06 12:27 AM

Charlie Villanueva had 48 Points, 1 Steal, 3 Assists and 9 Rebounds in a losing effort against The Bucks today. A pretty good game...for a ROOKIE...of the year that is! :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/01/06 01:25 PM

Just wanted to point out that Morris Peterson had 38 Points, 1 Steal, 3 Assists and 8 Rebounds and Mike James had 36 P, 10 A and 4 R in a losing effort against The Suns last night. Oh yeah, Steve Nash had 20 P, 1 S, 10 A and 3 R. He's the MVP I think so far.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/01/06 01:33 PM

Why don't we just change the name of this thread to "How 'Bout Them Raptors?" :rolleyes:

Big night for your Rookie of the Year candidate, too.....

22 minutes, 2-10 shooting, 4 points, 7 rebounds.

I guess you forgot to mention him in your recap, huh? :p
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/01/06 01:52 PM

well letting in 140 pts is a bit much! you just can't win that away Charlie V is doing great in his first year but the ROY award is going to Chris Paul. just to mention, my fellow countrymen Leandro Barbosa may have been the name of the game. it must be easy playing around Steve Nash!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/01/06 02:19 PM

Yeah Villanueva had a rough night, he'll rebound against the Hornets tmmw. Pape Sow had an amazing (by his standards so far) game though and if he keeps improving he could be a force. Yeah our defense has been terrible at best and downright objectionable and worthy of great contempt at worst all season. Even if you score 126 points it doesn't mean anything if you give up 140. Defense, defense, defense! Sam Mitchell's gotta teach these kids that when you don't have the ball you gotta play your man. Wow, yeah, I didn't realize The Brazilian had a great game 28 Points, 3 Assists and 3 Rebounds. Maybe he could have a chat with Rafael "The Big Useless" Araujo and give him a good old Portuguese pep talk, or just smack some sense into his thick skull. Araujo man, whatta disappointment!!
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/01/06 03:22 PM

oh yeah talk about it... I never thought that guy was NBA material but I didn't think he'd be that bad!

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/03/06 04:59 AM

Ok, Chris Paul was better than Charlie Villanueva last night and The Hornets won. Villanueva had 25 Points, 1 Block Shot, 2 Assists and 18 Rebounds for a double double. Chris Paul had 24 P, 1 B, 2 S, 12 A and 12 R for a triple double. However, Chris Paul's high game this season was 28 Points and Charlie V.'s was 48 Points. Also Charlie V. brings more to a team and I still think that he should win the R.O.Y. but they will give it to Paul anyway.

I don't want Detroit to win the championship but they beat Phoenix last night and I don't think that Philadelphia, Cleveland or Miami will be able to stop them in the East. The winner in the West will most likely be Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas and The Lakers as a long shot pick. None of these teams at this moment look like they can stop The Pistons who are 59 - 14! There is still time though.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/05/06 05:04 AM

P.L.'s gonna give me shit for this, but whaddayaknow?! Another solid performance by Charlie V. he had (in losing cause, what else is new? :rolleyes: ) 14 Points, 1 Block Shot, 1 Assist and 6 Rebounds. Whatever...Paul will win the R.O.Y. (I'm still holding out hope that V. wins it but it looks like Paul will take it) but Villanueva will have the better career I think...

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/06/06 01:34 AM

Another double double for Charlie V. but another loss for The Raps. :rolleyes:

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/08/06 05:22 AM

I can't understand why The Raptors cannot beat teams like The Hornets who aren't exactly a powerhouse or anything. Charlie Villanueva had another solid game with 14 Points, 1 Block Shot, 2 Assists and 9 Rebounds. Chris Paul had 16 P, 1 B, 2 S, 8 A, 3 R.

In a losing cause, Kobe Bryant had 51 P, 1 S, 3 A, 5 R. If The Lakers did not have Bryant they would be dead last in The NBA in pretty much every statistical category that matters, especially W - L. In the same game Steve Nash had 25 P, 1 S, 8 A, 1 R. I think that the M.V.P. race is between Bryant and Nash. The other contenders are Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Chauncey Billups, Dwayne Wayde and LeBron James. Although any of these players can and probably will win the M.V.P. award I do believe that the race is really between Bryant and James and of these two will win it. "Just my opinion...I could be wrong." :p

Our next games are against Miami (L), Orlando (W), Detroit (L) and Indiana (W). Although we have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (didn't take too long eh?), hopefully The Raptors can end the season on a positive note.

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/12/06 02:53 AM

Well, maybe my Raptors can lose all the remaining games in the N.B.A. season and perhaps go for the #1 draft pick. Charlie V. had 8 Points, 1 Assist and 5 Rebounds tonight and although I hate to say it, unless he does something huge in most of our remaining games he will not win the R.O.Y. award. Alexander Ovechkin however, will win it...in the N.H.L. that is. :p Gary Payton had 15 P, 2 S, 3 A and 4 R. What is he, like 95 yrs. old? At this rate, he can play until he drops dead! :p

Re: 2005-06 NBA Season - 04/15/06 05:07 AM

The Raptors beat The Pistons! The Raptors beat The Pistons! Good Allah Almighty! The Raptors beat The Pistons!

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET