Home

Freddie's Wrestling Thread

Posted By: Freddie C.

Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/23/05 01:29 AM

I was given the ok by our Sports Moderator to start this thread. It is gonna be all about me, so if you don't like it, get the hell out! :p

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm a senior in high school. I wrestle at 145 lb or 152 lb. My individual record this season is 13-6.

Here's how indivudual scoring breaks down:

Takedown - 2 pts
Escape - 1 pt
Reversal - 2 pts
Near Fall - 5 pts
Pin - no pts, match is over

Here's how team scoring breaks down:

Decision (won by 8 pts or less) - 3 team pts
Major Decision (won by 8-14 pts) - 4 team pts
Technical Fall (wrestler up by 15 pts, match immediately stops) - 5 team pts
Pin - 6 team pts
Forfeit - 6 team pts

My match today was postponed because of the snow.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/23/05 01:33 AM

Someone remind me to slap the sports thread moderator. j/k.

So I guess we can all start our own threads. Sort of like Toby Keith's song, "I wanna talk about me, I wanna talk about I, I wanna talk about #1, oh my me my!

Good luck with your wrestling.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/23/05 01:53 AM

Freddie, it's been a while so I don't remember but do they still give back points or is that just 5 for the near fall?

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/23/05 01:56 AM

Since this is my thread, I'll post something off topic.

My coach called me at about 9 am to tell me that the match was postponed. Now, my sister goes to Villanova, and she had a ticket to today's basketball game vs #2 Kansas. She was going to go with her boyfriend, who also goes there, but she was afraid of getting stuck in the snow, so I took her ticket and went with her bf. He's a really cool guy, my favorite of all the bf's she's had. Anyway, Nova pulled the major upset, blowing out the previously unbeaten Jayhawks 83-62. After the final buzzer, all of the students stormed the court, so I figured 'what the hell' and joined them.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/23/05 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Freddie, it's been a while so I don't remember but do they still give back points or is that just 5 for the near fall?
Yes, there are still back pts.

On back for two seconds - 2pts

On back for five seconds - 3 more pts

So 2+3=5.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/23/05 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Freddie C.:

My match today was postponed because of the snow.
Why don't you just wrestle inside then? :p

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/24/05 01:37 AM

There are 14 weight classes in high school wrestling. They are (in lbs)...

All wrestlers have to weigh in 1 hour before the match begins. There is actually a lot of coaching strategy involved in a wrestling match. Coaches don't have to submit a line-up before the match starts. So there is a "chess mtach" being played by opposing coaches on who to send out. A lot of people don't realize this.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/24/05 03:14 AM

I also enjoyed going to a match and seeing 10-15 guys running around the building trying to sweat off a pound or two lol

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/24/05 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
I also enjoyed going to a match and seeing 10-15 guys running around the building trying to sweat off a pound or two lol
The wrestlers also enjoy it. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with running, and I actually kinda enjoy it. If I didn't play football, I would've ran cross country. I ran the course this fall to see what time I could get, and I ran the 3.1 miles in 17:41, which is a decent time.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/24/05 01:41 PM

Go Freddie Go. I'm an ex-wrestler. Ancient history, class of '67. Great sport. Builds character.

I too am a Villanova fan. My daughter is a graduate class of 2001. I've been following the BB team since she enrolled. And I can't believe I didn't watch that game on TV. I didn't realize it was on. 'Nova has lost 4 games by a total of 10 pts. They will make some noise this year in the Big East.

PA wrestling is very competitive. Lots of good college teams, especially in the Div. III class, but Iowa, Oklahoma, Minnesota are still the class of the country. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/24/05 11:48 PM

This post is about basketball.

My high school team just took a major blow. Our starting center, who is one of my best friends, broke his ankle this weekend, playing in the snow with his little sister.

He leads the team in scoring and rebounding. My school is currently in first place in our league. Our record is 15-3. But now this totally changes things. Some guys are gonna have to step up.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/25/05 06:10 PM

What school, Freddie? I live on the Jersey side and may have heard of it.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/28/05 08:08 PM

I lost last night, 12-3 at 152lb. The kid I faced was really good. Tonight we have a match against the #16 ranked team in the country. I'm going to be trying just not to get pinned.

I go to Spring-Ford High School.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/28/05 09:24 PM

Based on the "New Girl Problem" thread, now we know how FC loses the extra pounds! :p

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/29/05 01:28 AM

Quote:
I lost last night, 12-3 at 152lb. The kid I faced was really good. Tonight we have a match against the #16 ranked team in the country. I'm going to be trying just not to get pinned.
Freddie, by now I hope you didn't get pinned. When you're up against a good opponent, don't you just go psycho? Grunt, yell, do crazy things. Throw him off his game...maybe you'll get lucky and catch him with his guard down.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/29/05 01:33 AM

Is pinching nipples allowed?

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/29/05 05:28 AM

Well, I did get pinned tonight, in the second period.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sicilia:
Based on the "New Girl Problem" thread, now we know how FC loses the extra pounds! :p
:D

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 01/30/05 10:58 PM

I got a forfeit yesterday at 152lb. My team won, 46-15.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/01/05 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Is pinching nipples allowed?
Sometimes you can get away with sucking, but pinching is a little too obvious.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/02/05 04:02 AM

I got a pin last night at 145lb. I got him in a cradle in the 2nd period and it was over. My team had 10 pins out of the 14 matches. We won, 70-9.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/02/05 11:07 AM

Do you have matches every night?

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/02/05 10:53 PM

Besides our league matches, my team participates in a lot of tournaments. We have had a lot of matches lately. The team's season is almost over, which means that my season is almost over. Some of my teammates will continue on to states. Last year our 103lb finished 2nd in the state, and our 135lb finished 6th.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/02/05 11:22 PM

Has anyone else seen Marat Safin's gf... Dasha Zhukova. She's beautiful. I'm in love (just don't tell my gf)

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/05/05 01:59 AM

To each his own Freddie. Her mouth looks like the grill on a '56 Oldsmobile. :rolleyes:

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/05/05 06:17 PM

You're right. What was I thinking? She's hideous! :rolleyes:

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/07/05 10:57 PM

My school's B-Ball team has made it to the league championship game. The big game is tomorrow night, but I have a match tomorrow. The match starts at 4pm, and the game starts at 7pm. I should be able to make it to the game. I'm part of the "Bleacher Creatures". That is the name of our student section. (No one goes to wrestling matches ) My school had t-shirts made for us. We're playing our biggest rivals in the championship. When we played them a couple weeks ago, there were 7 police cars in the parking lot. This game will be intense.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/09/05 09:55 PM

I won a 14-3 major decision yesterday at 145lb . My team won easily, 56-12.

But we lost in the b-ball final, 66-47. I was really into the game (yelling a lot and such) and now I have no voice. Districts start on Friday. Wrestling districts start on Feb 25 (if I make it, I'll probably lose the first match )

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/09/05 11:42 PM

Such negative thoughts!! Remember...GO CRAZY!

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/11/05 04:00 PM

I won last night, 8-1 at 145lb. My team also won, 33-26. That was our last match of the season, which also made it my last team match of my high school career. I still do not know whether I'll qualify for districts.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/13/05 10:32 PM

I went to the batting cage this afternoon. Baseball starts right after wrestling. This season, I'll probably be starting in center and batting either 1 or 2 in the order. I might even make it into the starting rotation, but I doubt it. The coach will want to use me as the "situational lefty". :rolleyes:
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/14/05 01:01 AM

Football, baseball, wrestling......

A three letter man?

Too bad you're such a shrimp :p
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/14/05 07:21 PM

Freddie, will you wrestle in college? Perhaps you'll wrestle in The Midlands at Northwestern in the future!

tony b.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/14/05 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YoTonyB:
Freddie, will you wrestle in college? Perhaps you'll wrestle in The Midlands at Northwestern in the future!

tony b.
Judging by Freddie's thread I think he'll be wrestling at the Wilkes Open. But that's great too. Congrats Freddie, I hope you make the districts and KICK SOME ASS!

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/15/05 01:02 AM

No, I don't plan on wrestling in college. I'm going to Penn State, so making their nationally ranked team might be a stretch. I seriously would have a better chance making the football team.

This Saturday is sectionals. Everyone on a starting varsity line-up makes it to sectionals. There will be 16 wrestlers at each weight, the top 4 make it to districts. I will make it in the top 4 and advance to districts, but that will be it for me. There are too many good wrestlers in this area.

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
Too bad you're such a shrimp :p
But I'm all muscle.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/15/05 05:48 PM

Good luck on Saturday Freddie. My son use to wrestle in the youth program and when he was a sophomore in high school. I love to watch the matches. He looked so cute in those singlets. Where does that name come from anyways?

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/16/05 03:47 AM

My school's b-ball team had a district playoff game tonight. We were against the #6 ranked team in the state. It's where Jameer Nelson went to high school. Anyway, they killed us, 93-51. They have a 6\'9 center who is gonna play D-1 next year. They also have a guard who will play D-1. They just dominated us from the openig tip. They were playing like they were making an AND 1 mix tape.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/18/05 05:22 PM

No school today, but I still had to go to practice at 6am.

Tomorrow I'll be wrestling 145lb. I weighed myself this morning (144.8lb).

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/20/05 08:18 PM

Quote:
This Saturday is sectionals... There will be 16 wrestlers at each weight, the top 4 make it to districts. I will make it in the top 4 and advance to districts...
Well, yesterday I advanced to districts. I was wrong earlier, only the top 3 make it to districts. I came in third at 145lb. I'm pretty happy with myself. I was in the consolation match for third place, and I pinned the kid. I got a medal. Last year I also made it to districts (at 130lb). Districts are this Friday night. I'm going to try my best.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/22/05 04:12 AM

We ran 12 miles today.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/24/05 09:40 PM

Districts are tomorrow night. I feel really good and think I might pull off some upsets.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/24/05 10:33 PM

Good luck FC!

Don't let this happen to you... :p

Two wrestlers an American and a Russian were the finialists in the World Championship event.

They were preparing to meet each other in the final round and the American coach was giving instructions to his star wrestler.

The coach was saying, "Beware of the Russian and his famous hold the pretzel. No one has ever got out of that hold!."

The match begins and the wrestlers cirlcle for an advantage. The Russian finally gets an advantage on the American and in moments he is in the dreaded pretzel hold.

The spectators start to get up to leave, even the coach throws his arms in the air and proceeds to leave.

Suddenly there is a blood curdling scream and the Russian goes flying across the canvas, and the American wrestler feebly crawls over and pins him for the title.

Later the American coach asked, "How did you get out of that hold?"

The wrestler responds, "Well I knew I was dead meat when he got me in that hold. I opened my eyes and through the blur I could see these big pink testicles.

So I stretched my neck with all my might and I bit down on those babies just as hard as I could.

It's amazing how much strength you can come up with when you bite your own balls!"
Posted By: Maple Leafs

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/25/05 09:33 PM

Ummm....I thought this thread was going to be about Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair... :rolleyes:

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/26/05 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sicilia:

It's amazing how much strength you can come up with when you bite your own balls!"
Thanks DS. I conjured up this image of ....nevermind. Reminds me of the old limmerick: There once was a man from Nantucket.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/26/05 10:48 PM

My wrestling career is now officially over.

Last night were the first two rounds of districts. I got a pin in my opening round match (the kid wasn't good at all, I could tell that right away). The competition got much better in the quarter-finals. I lost 11-4. So that dropped me into the consolation bracket.

The final two rounds of districts were this morning. I still had a chance to make it to regionals, but I lost my first match in the consolation bracket, 6-5.

Thanks to everyone here who supported me.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 02/28/05 06:07 PM

On to Spring! Congrats Freddie. Any thoughts on college? wrestling.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/01/05 03:21 AM

I do not plan on wrestling in college. I'm going to Penn State, so even if I wanted to wrestle, I couldn't make their team. The sport that I would most like to continue playing is football. I'm actually considering trying out for Joe Pa. Maybe when I'm a sophomore.

My record this year was 21-11. I finished my career with 57 varsity victories. I'm kinda disappointed with only 57, but I only had two full years on varsity. In 9th and 10th grade, I bounced back and forth on varsity and JV. I have two older brothers that were wrestlers. They both had more than 57 wins. But they both specialized in wrestling. I'm better than them in football and baseball.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/04/05 11:38 PM

Four of my teammates are at Regionals right now. Three of them have a great shot at making it to States.

Baseball practice starts on Monday.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/05/05 09:28 PM

Only one of my teammates advanced to the semi-finals last night.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/06/05 05:21 PM

Two of my teammates advanced to States yesterday. The top four at Regionals make it to States. Our 119lb got 3rd, and our 140lb got 4th. Both of them made it to States last year.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/08/05 10:23 PM

Would anyone be interested in reading about my upcoming baseball season? Should I make a "Freddie's Baseball Thread"? If no one replies, I'll assume not.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/09/05 05:53 PM

Sounds good Freddie. Do it.

BTW, I know two wrestler names from PA - from Lake Lehman; Matt Dragon and Jeremy Schutz. Do you know if there in the tournament??

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/09/05 10:39 PM

No, I do not know them.

Right now I weigh 153lb. I've already gained 9lbs since my season ended.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/12/05 05:09 PM

Both of my teammates at States have advanced to the semi-finals. They're both just two wins away from a state championship.

Re: Freddie's Wrestling Thread - 03/15/05 10:53 PM

Neither of my teammates advanced to the championship match, but we're still all proud of them. Pennsylvania is extremely competitive in wrestling. Our 119lb finished 4th, and our 140lb finished 3rd.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET