Home

Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams?

Posted By: Signore Sole Aumentante

Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/11/05 04:15 AM

I know it's slowly gaining some popularity in the UK and Europe... but do any high schools have or have plans for American football teams? High school football is huge over here. I think high school teams being available for those interested is a good way to spread the game across seas and get the youth involved.
Posted By: Busta

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/11/05 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
I know it's slowly gaining some popularity in the UK and Europe... but do any high schools have or have plans for American football teams? High school football is huge over here. I think high school teams being available for those interested is a good way to spread the game across seas and get the youth involved.
Are you talking about American Football or Soccer? Yes, we do have high school teams for american football and have had them for a long time. They are also very big all over the country. Here in Chicago, there are 8 high school levels and every state championship game at every level are broadcasted live every year. They also pcik a game of the week during the regular season to broadcast. Sometimes, some games are even broadcasted nationally if two nationally ranked teams are playing each other.

As for soccer, yes we do have high school soccer, though it doesn't receive as much attention as football because they both fall during the autumn season. However, the Chicago Tribune still gives a good amount of coverage on soccer in the Chicagoland area high schools.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/11/05 07:13 AM

Busta, I think SSA was asking if they play American football in England, or anywhere else in Europe, at the secondary school level.

Prep sports in Chicago, and around Illinois, would be popular without the media coverage. It's even bigger because the Tribune and the Sun Times both have GREAT sportswriters on the high school beat. Taylor Bell at the Sun Times (before his recent retirement) and Barry Temkin and Bob Sakamoto at the Trib might be the best in the U.S. They ELEVATED prep sports to a level comparable to their papers' coverage of the top colleges and local pro teams.

tony b.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/11/05 01:26 PM

As far as i know there isn't any school that plays American Football,Rubgy is the British version only you cant pass forward,as you probley know that is popular
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/13/05 01:33 PM

First of all we don't have high schools in the sense that the US has them. Our secondary school education is finished at 16.

Now as I understand, in America there is little difference between a college or University, if any at all. But here they are different, college is the next step in education if you choose to carry on academically, traditionally for 16-18 year olds. Then the option is there if you've got your results to go to University.

I've never heard of any of our schools or colleges with American Football teams. But I'd say a majority of our University's do have teams.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/14/05 02:07 AM

Turi, I was going to try and make the distinction between college and university in the U.K., but I was hoping someone from the U.K. would actually post-up...and you did! Nice tip-in.

Are athletics a part of college or university programs in your country? If so, which sports?

tony b.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? - 01/14/05 11:56 AM

Most of the sports are just extra curricular activities, they don't count for anything except for your own enjoyment and I suppose it's a good thing to add to your CV (Curriculum Vitae, or Resume') to show you're a team player, active etc. Employers love this stuff. If you're at a decent Uni you can take up nearly anything, from 5 a side soccer teams, fencing, American football, to Kabadi if you really wanted.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET