Home

Greatest Athletic Performance

Posted By: Don Marco

Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/28/04 07:56 PM

What would you consider to be the greatest athletic performance of all time? There's a lot of things out there - Wilt's 100 points, Mark Spitz in the '72 Olympics, Lance Armstrong, etc...

My vote goes to Eric Heiden in the 1980 Winter Olympics. He won every event from the 500 meters to the 10,000 meters - in record times, no less. This is kind of like having Carl Lewis win the 100 meters and then go on to win the 10,000 meters and setting records all the way. I've never seen anything like it.
Posted By: SC

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/28/04 08:16 PM

The greatest athletic performance of all time?

Its hard to argue with a group of events (like Heiden or Spitz or Jesse Owens) but if I was to pick one SINGLE performance I'd choose Secretariat winning the Belmont Stakes by 31½ lengths.
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/28/04 08:22 PM

I thought it was pretty amazing when Tiger won his first Master's. I doubt thats the greatest though.
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/28/04 08:35 PM

Roger Bannister running the mile in under 4 min
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/28/04 08:45 PM

My greatest performance (not nessecarily the best but my personal favorite) was when Michael Jordan played the Utah Jazz in 1997 and scored 37 points, plus the game winning shot with the flu. He had to be hospitalized later that night for exhausion.
Posted By: Valadius

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 03:31 AM

Magic Johnson subbing for Kareem at center in the Finals as a rookie. He put up such amazing numbers in that game.
Posted By: OleificioAndreassi

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
My greatest performance (not nessecarily the best but my personal favorite) was when Michael Jordan played the Utah Jazz in 1997 and scored 37 points, plus the game winning shot with the flu. He had to be hospitalized later that night for exhausion.
the was the best performance ive ever witnessed
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 07:38 AM

I don't think that there should be any argument about this one. Jesse Owens broke 5 world records and tied another within one hour at the 1935 Big Ten Championships.

As for a single solitary race/event, I'd either say Bob Beamon's long jump in 1968 or Michael Johnson's 200m final in 1996.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 01:46 PM

Great athletic performances are usually measured against the event when the stakes are higher and pressure greater; the Olympics, the World Series, the Superbowl, etc. and usually they far surpass the nearest competition.

Olympics:(some previously mentioned)
Jesse Owens - track
Bob Beamon - broad jump (loved his reaction)
Wilma Rudolph - track
Eric Heiden - skating
Michael Johnson - track
Olga Korbut - gymnastics
Mark Spitz - swimming
1980 Hockey Team

Baseball:
Reggie Jackson's 3 homeruns in the World Series
Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series

Golf:
Tiger Woods dominance in the Master's and US Open
Jack Nicklaus' number of career victories and Major victories.
Byron Nelson's consecutive tournament wins.

But some atheletic performances are great because of the courage and determination that the individual showed. Like those people that finish the Ironman/woman Triatholon in total exhaustion.
Posted By: badguytony

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 03:41 PM

I can't narrow any to one over another but I'll list those that should qualify.

Jesse Owens- '36 Olympics
MJ- Flu Game
Brett Favre- Maybe his best game after father's death
Wilt- 100
US Hockey- Miracle on Ice
1992 Dream Team- They were definition of great
Mark Spitz- '72 Games
Dan Jansen- '94 Games. He finally overcame his past struggles to win his last event. Huge in WI.
Gale Sayers- 6 TD's
'94 Packers Defense Wild-Card game vs. Lions- Barry Sanders 13 carries, -1 yards
Posted By: Christopher Montana

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 05:40 PM

There are so many you cant really name them all.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 01/29/04 08:38 PM

Jesse Owens performance in track is amazing, and has inspired all atheletes to train hard and anything is possible.
Posted By: Raulito

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 02/18/04 11:44 PM

Peyton Manning vs Bucs (remember that?)
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 02/19/04 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Valadius:
Magic Johnson subbing for Kareem at center in the Finals as a rookie. He put up such amazing numbers in that game.
I doubt this is the greatest performance but it is at least absolutely impressive and amazing.

today we get satisfied when a rookie averages 10 PPG and look what Magic did in this game. 40 points in the final game, replacing the biggest star of the team and playing in such a different position than his... wow!
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 02/20/04 03:08 AM

Lance Armstrong Winning His First Tour De France 8 months after an operation on a tumor.

The Shot Heard 'Round The World...

I loved the "Rumble In the Jungle"...

The Best Atheletic Performance in all history though is the no hitter made by Don Larson in the 1960 World Series.
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 02/20/04 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
The Best Atheletic Performance in all history though is the no hitter made by Don Larson in the 1960 World Series.
Dude, get your facts straight. Larsen pitched a perfect game in the 1956 World Series.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Greatest Athletic Performance - 02/20/04 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Corpuzzi:
[quote]Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
[b] The Best Atheletic Performance in all history though is the no hitter made by Don Larson in the 1960 World Series.
Dude, get your facts straight. Larsen pitched a perfect game in the 1956 World Series. [/b][/quote]I'm as big a Lance Armstrong fan as there is, but as tremendous his accomplishment was, it wasn't 8 months after his operation. That shouldn't minimize the performance - it is still one of the greatest of all time.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET