Home

Did Janice make her bones?

Posted By: Beth E

Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 06:23 PM

And, no...there is no sexual overtone here. \:\)

Janice killed Ritchie, a made man. Since Richie was part of Tony's crew, I'm assuming there would be no one to retaliate against her. But is she technically considered a "made woman" since she whacked someone?

Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Beth E

Janice killed Ritchie, a made man. Since Richie was part of Tony's crew, I'm assuming there would be no one to retaliate against her. But is she technically considered a "made woman" since she whacked someone?

I doubt that very much. Even if she were a man, the act of murdering another made man would not necessarily guarantee that he'd eventually be made himself.

Fun question though.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 08:55 PM

No sexual overtones? What fun is that then? \:p

I would have to say NO to your question. While Janice actually did kill someone, she did it on her own accord. She did it out of anger and vengence for his hitting her.

In the mob, when someone has to make their bones, it's usually on an order from a boss. They tell you specifically who you must kill to make your bones. It must be a cold blooded type killing. One that is not driven by your own anger, yhour seeking vengence or involving your personal feelings. They want to see if you have the cold blood in your veins to kill someone for no other reason except that you've been told to kill them.

I'm assuming that it's much easier to kill someone because you are angry with them because your emotions can take over, then to kill someone that you have absolutely nothing against.

That's why it is, or was, probably done that way

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 10:22 PM

Why did Janice not face any backlash for killing a made man? Ralphie blew a gasket because Tony simply hit him. Is it because he was part of Tony's crew and Tony didn't care?

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 11:11 PM

Well, if you remember, earlier in the very same episode Tony gave Silvio the okay to take Richie out anyway. It's like she unknowingly did them a favor. So none of Tony's crew were shedding any tears. In fact, they all probably thought that it was Tony who took Richie out, with the exception of Christopher, who helped him chop up and dispose of the body.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 11:18 PM

Is there even women in the mafia?
Posted By: Sopranorleone

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 11:31 PM

Mignon, in season two, Tony visits Italy and discovers that the boss there is a woman. As far as real life, I am not sure.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/28/07 11:39 PM

Thanks Sopranorleone I remember that I was wondering in real life.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 12:54 AM

Keep in mind that Phil killed Vito and nothing happened. Besides, Janice is Tony's sister. What could he do?
Posted By: Antihero

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Is there even women in the mafia?

Well yes indeed. Try watch the documentary about MiamiĀ“s Drug period, called "Cocaine Cowboys"..

Anyway, i found it pretty wierd that Janice killed him. Its like, her motive was not strong enough for actully kill the guy.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Antihero

Its like, her motive was not strong enough for actully kill the guy.

That scene showed that she was really a Soprano at heart and definitely her mother's daughter.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
That scene showed that she was really a Soprano.
And an ugly one at that!

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
That scene showed that she was really a Soprano.
And an ugly one at that!

As I said, her mother's daughter!

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:08 PM

Here's another Janice question I thought of. Janice returned for her mother's funeral. If the actress hadn't died in real life, I can only assume they wouldn't have killed the character off. Would Janice had come back for any other reason if her mom hadn't died?

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:12 PM

Good question Beth. I would think that if Nancy Marchand hadn't been sick with a fatal disease, the writers would have wrote an entirely different angle. Maybe they wouldn't have brought Janice back. Or maybe they wouldn't have even had Janice kill Richie.

A very good "what if" to contemplate.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:16 PM

Well, they'd had her in all of season two, so the character was well-established enough to sort of put away in a dark cupboard to bring out a later date. Dunno, though, maybe it would have been really late, much later than her re-entry in season three - and then again she might not have come back at all. But nah, I reckon she was always coming back for something else if not the funeral; she's an integral part of the show's insight into Tony's psychology... then again, she wasn't really, but is now.

It's a very interesting question, though. In fact, Livia's death is such an a coincidental and pivotal turn in the show, you could question where a lot of the characters would have been had Nancy Marchand lived.

What an awfully-written post. Blast the hangover from last night. \:D
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:18 PM

I think so. Especially if she "wanted" something or if she was in some kind of trouble, she'd come running to Tony. She's a conniving sneaky bitch, but I find her amusing and think her character adds to the series.

As far as her "making her bones", my first answer would be yes. DC makes sense though with his logic, and not to be "women's lib" or anything, but if it were a man would it be considered making his bones? \:p

Now wouldn't it be interesting if the final season ended with Tony dead and/or gone or out of the family and Janice became the "Don-ess". Heaven forbid!!!

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:36 PM

Here's another Janice question I thought of. Janice returned for her mother's funeral. If the actress hadn't died in real life, I can only assume they wouldn't have killed the character off. Would Janice had come back for any other reason if her mom hadn't died?

The new issue of "TV Guide" (with "The Sopranos" on the cover) mentions that Aida Turturro (sp?) was "pissed" when she "was sent packing on a bus at the end of the second season - she was worried she'd never come back".

Its POSSIBLE that if Nancy Marchand had lived the character of Janice may have had a much smaller role.

The new issue also alludes to the first upcoming episode is a somewhat hysterical show with Tony and Janice playing Monopoly after drinking too much.

FWIW - I agree totally with DC's idea that Janice didn't "make her bones" when she killed Richie Aprile simply because that killing was not an ordered hit.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:44 PM

I believe that Janice's attitude was eventually written in to take over where Livia left off. As Capo pointed out, Janice is an intergral part of Tony's psycology. The show started out with Livia being the intergral part of his psycology. And as I mentioned earlier, the writers of the show knew that Marchand had a fatal illness and would probably die eventually and that is why I think they inroduced the Janice character. Almost insurance as a replacement for the Livia character in Tony's life.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 03:46 PM

What do you think the purpose of Tony's other sister was? I can't even remember her name, but they only have shown her what once or twice? Do you think they intended to use her more and then sort of wrote her out?

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:00 PM

Barbara.

Interesting question TIS.

I believe that both of Tony's sisters each represent the two sides of Tony.

Barbara is the sister that went her own way in life, having nothing really to do with the family. Driven away by her mother. Something that a part of Tony wishes that he could have done. Get away from his mother.

Janice is the sister that took off and did her own thing, driven away by her mother, but was drawn back to the family because it was security for her, in spite of her mother. Something that Tony did himself, staying secure by sticking with the family in spite of his mother.

And all three of them have the same hangups from their young days with their mother.

At least that's my take on it.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:09 PM

Some of Tony's and Janice's interactions are funny. After Janice does Tony a favor by killing Richie, he sends her off packing saying, "All in all I'd say it was a good visit"...haha. Then when she barks at Tony her love life is none of his business he fires back, "Your last boyfriend I had to take out of the kitchen in hefty bags". While Janice is not a major character her prescence does add a different side to Tony.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:15 PM

Some of Tony's and Janice's interactions are funny. After Janice does Tony a favor by killing Richie, he sends her off packing saying, "All in all I'd say it was a good visit"...haha. Then when she barks at Tony her love life is none of his business he fires back, "Your last boyfriend I had to take out of the kitchen in hefty bags". While Janice is not a major character her prescence does add a different side to Tony.

Ha ha ha!! Yea Beth, I remember that. It wes hilarious!

TIS
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:24 PM

My favorite part of that scene was when Janice asked where they buried Richie, and he says something about a pretty field with flowers and butterflies and a view of the sunrise, and so on. When Janice asks, "Really?", Tony snaps back something to the effect, "No!! What are you stupid?"

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:28 PM

Ha ha ha!! Yea that was great. I forgot about. The Sopranos definitely has it's humorous moments...like Carmella telling AJ, "Can't you be a good f**kin' catholic for fifteen minutes." ha ha ha

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:34 PM

OK... who is gonna start a "Best Sopranos Lines" thread?? (there are SOOOOO many).

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:38 PM

I think it's in one of the clips here tying up the Sopranos to introduce Season 7.....Tony's approaching (Vito??? No, not Vito)in a parking lot and says to an obviously overweight Vito, "looks like someone should be sticking to eating salads."

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:45 PM

It's not Vito, it's Bobby. He tells him to get off his car, he's gonna turn it over. Bobby's like "What". Tony tells him he should start eating salads.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:49 PM

The "jokes" about Ginny Sack (Tony's crew was dissing her when Johnny Sack walked into the room) were the best....

One about her blood type being Ragu.... one about her tipping New Jersey over.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
OK... who is gonna start a "Best Sopranos Lines" thread?? (there are SOOOOO many).

I can't remember the exact wording correctly but Uncle Junior said he wasn't gonna use a bed pan cuz he wasn't a cat and didn't use a litter box.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

I can't remember the exact wording correctly but Uncle Junior said he wasn't gonna use a bed pan cuz he wasn't a cat and didn't use a litter box.

Or the one Junior said about the feds tracking him, "I've got the Feds so far up my ass I can taste Brylcream".

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
The "jokes" about Ginny Sack (Tony's crew was dissing her when Johnny Sack walked into the room) were the best....

One about her blood type being Ragu.... one about her tipping New Jersey over.

Ha ha ha!! Another great one. They really gave poor Ginny the business. What an unusally matched couple.
You would think this was a comedy when you think of all the hilarious scenes we've come up with.

TIS
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 05:11 PM

What about the scene where Tony tricks Matt Bevilaqua into sweeping the floor around Sil's feet:

Silvio: What the fuck are you doing?
Tony: Sil, take it easy.
Silvio: [turns to Tony] I'm losin' my balls over here! This fucking moron's playing hazel.
[turns back to Matthew]
Silvio: Get the fuck out of here!
Matthew Bevilaqua: I was just trying to sweep the cheese away...
Silvio: Why? Why now? Leave it there.
Matthew: I don't know. I was just...
Silvio: What?
[turns the other guys]
Silvio: Where do you get these fuckin' idiots, huh? Where do you get them? He's sweeping the cheese, I'm trying to get -
[turns back to Matthew]
Silvio: [shouts] Leave the fucking cheese there, all right? I love fuckin' cheese at my feet! I stick motherfuckin' provolone in my socks at night, so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning. Alright? Now leave the fucking cocksucking cheese where it is! Here, here, here.
[he swipes off the cheese on his plate onto the floor]
Silvio: Go ahead. Have a good time.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 10:15 PM

"Sister's c-nt!"

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/29/07 10:18 PM

Sometimes authors put characters in books or movies to flesh out the production. They don't necessarily have any use beyond that, but are available for us.

Could Janice be the source of Tony's ultimate undoing if indeed Tony is to be undone. On the other hand, at least twice now we've witnessed Christopher almost going off in another direction (Witness Ptotection Program and AJ's confirmation). Could there be a third time - that lasts?

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 02:58 PM

Another funny line from Tony was during a session with Dr. Melfi after he meets his late father's mistress, Fran. Dr. Melfi suggest he has sympathy for Livia. Tony replies, "Fuck her. She made my father give away my dog".

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:04 PM

How about Paulie's line from the Pine Barrens episode : "You're not gonna believe this. The guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians. He was an interior decorator."

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:07 PM

"Sister's c-nt!"

That's when Uncle Junior fell in the bathtub, correct?

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:11 PM

How about Paulie's line from the Pine Barrens episode : "You're not gonna believe this. The guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians. He was an interior decorator."

Chris, after some careful thought as to where that puts them: "His house looked like shit."

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:11 PM

"Sister's c-nt!"

That's when Uncle Junior fell in the bathtub, correct?
Haha, yeah. He has a great line when he gets his hand caught down the sink, too, but I forget what it is.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:14 PM

Unintentional but HYSTERICAL - Adriana telling Christopher that she might not be able to have children because her uterus was damaged. His initial reply - "Both of them ?".

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:33 PM

Yea, that was great!! Ha ha ha. Another was when Christopher sat on Adriana's dog!! \:o I mean, how awful, but yet he was so out of it, he didn't have a clue. Ok, kind of sick humor, but it did make me laugh.

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Yea, that was great!! Ha ha ha. Another was when Christopher sat on Adriana's dog!! \:o I mean, how awful, but yet he was so out of it, he didn't have a clue. Ok, kind of sick humor, but it did make me laugh.

TIS

Oh, that was funny TIS. I love animals, but if I could laugh at Ralphie losing his head but not laugh at that, I'd have serious issues.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 03:46 PM

Did anyone get the new TV guide issue this week? It has some cast members discussing how they'd write the last episode. It also asks them when The Sopranos is finally over you'll never again....do what. And James Gandolfini said wear a bathrobe. :lol"

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 04:19 PM

I use to get the TV guide every week, but now with my cable sercie, it has the schedule and description of each show, so I don't get it anymore. I'd like to read it though.

If it's this weeks TV guide, I'll pick one up when I go to the store.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 05:28 PM

The TV guide I get is issued from Comcast Cable, but I believe it should be the same as the tv guide that's on newsstands. This is the month of April's tv guide. This is part of the story I found online.

http://www.tvguide.com/Magazine/Cover-Story/

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/30/07 05:45 PM

Thanks Beth! Interesting! So we know it'll start with a family vacation that "comically" goes awry? Perhaps another funny Soprano moment we'll laugh at hu?
;\)

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/31/07 12:42 AM

Beth,

You're not gonna believe this, but today when my daughters came over for lunch, they had stopped by the nearby store to pick up a few things, and bought me the TV Guide with the Sopranos story. I told them I had just been told about it by a friend on the BB, and was really happy they thought of it.

The cover is Tony in a brown suit & Carmela in a wine colored dress. I'll read the write up soon. What a coincidence hu?

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/31/07 12:48 AM

Re: Did Janice make her bones?

Only God can make bones!

But if she did, she made them really big.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/31/07 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Beth,

You're not gonna believe this, but today when my daughters came over for lunch, they had stopped by the nearby store to pick up a few things, and bought me the TV Guide with the Sopranos story. I told them I had just been told about it by a friend on the BB, and was really happy they thought of it.

The cover is Tony in a brown suit & Carmela in a wine colored dress. I'll read the write up soon. What a coincidence hu?

TIS

That's crazy...haha. But it's nice that your daughters thought of you and you won't miss out on the story.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/31/07 01:58 PM

I'm reading that article now and wow!!! This paragraph makes me very interested.

Warning, Spoiler:
In the opener, Tony Celebrates his 47th birthday at Bobby and Janice's lake house, where family tensions build and ultimately explode over a drunken game of Monopoly that's riotously funny and sadly horrific. It's no surprise that Tony plays by his own rules. The mood deepens in the second episode as one mobster dies withouy being whacked and another is whacked in a way you'll never see coming." \:o

Sound great doesn't it?

TIS

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/31/07 02:27 PM

Well, that sounds an awful lot like the spoilers that were posted on Lorraine Bracco's webpage. I guess there's some truth to it.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 03/31/07 02:28 PM

Yea, I don't know how this person knows and/or if it is true, but damn, I sure hope so. \:\) Sounds really good.

TIS

Btw, after reading the article and cast comments and such, I am convinced that this is indeed the final season. \:\( Mainly because of Gandolfini's comments, who says, more or less, "it was nice, had fun, but time to move on." Without him, there is no Sopranos IMH.

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 04/02/07 04:43 PM

Here's another funny line.

Tony: Maybe I should tap into my roots, too. My grandmother was half Indian.
Christopher: Get the fuck out of here.
Tony: No, it's true. She was in the Fakawee tribe.
Christopher: Oh, yeah?
Tony: Yeah. When they used to get lost in the woods, they stopped and said "Where the Fakawee?"

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 04/02/07 06:15 PM

Sounds like Tony.

By the way, do NJ parents use such foul language so much and in front of their children?

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 04/03/07 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Sounds like Tony.

By the way, do NJ parents use such foul language so much and in front of their children?

That must be where A.J. got, "What. No fucking Ziti".
Posted By: Paul Krendler

Re: Did Janice make her bones? - 04/07/07 12:16 PM

The whole 'Harpo' trip that Tony puts Janice on after her anger management classes. A part of me felt guilty for finding it so funny \:D
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET