Home

The Five Families & "The Sopranos"

Posted By: ChrisY2J

The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 03:11 PM

I have a question for all the folks who keep their fingers on the pulsebeat of the real-life mob.

As we know, the fictional characters of "The Sopranos" are interwoven with reality. We've heard Tony and company speaking about real-life gangsters like John Gotti, Sammy Gravano, Albert Anastasia, Paul Castellano, Joey Massino, and the Gambino Family.

We also know that the fictional Soprano Family is loosely based on the real-life DeCavalcante Family of North Jersey (at least, as far as structure goes).

Of the Five Families of New York, which Family is the one formerly run by Carmine Lupertazzi Sr and now run by John "Johnny Sack" Sacrimoni? Are they the Gambino, Lucchese, Genovese, Colombo, or Bonanno Family?

Anyone have any theories?
Posted By: SC

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 03:44 PM

I'll take a stab at this:

The Lucchese's.

Three of them have strong bases in Brooklyn; The Gambinos, The Colombos and Lucchese. Since Tony S. referred to the Gambinos by name, I'd discount them. The Colombos get taken off my list because I feel Carmine's Family was more respected. That leaves Lucchese.

Weak argument, but thats my guess.

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 06:29 PM

I was thinking it was the Luccheses as well. I have an awesome DVD, a documentary hosted by Robert Stack entitled "New York: Lords Of The Mafia".

It focuses on the Lucchese Family. In this documentary, we see that the Luccheses are based in Brooklyn and that a great deal of their profits come from corruption in the construction business.

That description sounds very much like the Family once run by Carmine Lupertazzi and now run by Johnny Sack.
Posted By: Boss_of_bosses

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 07:50 PM

Well all the 5 Families have their presence in Brooklyn. And BK is considered to be the largest population of Mob wiseguys than any other burrough in NYC.

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boss_of_bosses:
Well all the 5 Families have their presence in Brooklyn. And BK is considered to be the largest population of Mob wiseguys than any other burrough in NYC.
Oh yeah, I'm sure all Five Families have a presence in Brooklyn, but are all of them BASED there? The Luccheses definitely are, as is the fictional Family run by Johnny Sack.
Posted By: Goodfella 69

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 08:26 PM

I would also go with Lucchese because we never see any other NY families come so close in contact if at all with the Jersey boys, and since the Luccese family is the weakest of all the five I'd bet on them to be the closest with Jersey seeing as how Jersey is a step below all of the 5 NY familias, so yea. It would be great if Chase decided to show us the other families in NY though.

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/25/04 09:33 PM

Are the Luccheses really number five in terms of strength? I thought the Colombos were the least powerful. At least, according to what I've read. The Gambinos USED to be number one, but no longer.
Posted By: Boss_of_bosses

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/26/04 07:22 PM

I heard the Gambinos were more associated with Jersey than any of the 5 Families.
Posted By: SanAlfo

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/26/04 07:40 PM

What about South Jersey?

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/27/04 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SanAlfo:
What about South Jersey?
South Jersey is more or less controlled by the Philadelphia mob, isn't it?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Five Families & "The Sopranos" - 05/27/04 04:52 AM

When John Riggi, the DeCavalcante boss, and his top capos were indicted by the US Attorney for the Southern District of NY in 2000, the Assistant US Attorney said: "The effects of this investigation will not be limited just to the Decavalcante Family but also to several of the New York-based organized crime families with which the Decavalcantes dealt" (emphasis added). Riggi went to prison. After he went away, the DeCavalcante organization was headed by John (Jackie Nose) D'Amico, who had been a member of the Gambino Family, where he was tight with John and Peter Gotti.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET